Mar 13, 2021
Clarion: Kurt Angle
2x NCAA Champion
Olympic Gold Medalist
World Champion

Edinboro: Josh Koscheck
NCAA Champion
4x AA (4th, 2nd, 1st, 3rd)
Fought Georges St Pierre for UFC Welterweight Championship, losing by UD.

Bloomsburg: Ricky Bonomo
3x NCAA Champion

Pitt: Hugh Peery
3x NCAA Champion
Olympian
Pan Am Gold Medalist

Penn: Brandon Slay
2x Finalist
Olympic Gold Medalist
Freestyle Coach for USA Wrestling

Drexel: Ryan Hlushak
NCAA AA
3x NCAA Qualifier

Lock Haven: Cary Kolat
2x NCAA Champion
Olympian
Head Wrestling Coach, Naval Academy

F&M: Chris Black
2x NCAA Champion

Bucknell: Andy Rendos
2x AA
4x NCAA Qualifier

Lehigh: Mike Caruso
3x NCAA Champion

Penn State: David Taylor
2x NCAA Champion
4x NCAA Finalist
Olympic Gold Medalist
World Champion
2x World Championship Medalist

What did I get wrong?

Last edited:
2x NCAA Champion
Olympic Gold Medalist
World Champion

NCAA Champion
17-11 MMA; 15-10 in UFC

3x NCAA Champion

3x NCAA Champion
Olympian
Pan Am Gold Medalist

2x Finalist
Olympic Gold Medalist

NCAA AA
3x NCAA Qualifier

2x NCAA Champion
Olympian

2x NCAA Champion

2x AA
4x NCAA Qualifier

3x NCAA Champion

2x NCAA Champion
4x NCAA Finalist
Olympic Gold Medalist
World Champion

What did I get wrong?
It’s a good list. It seems like you are including freestyle results on the world stage, so I can’t fault you for naming Taylor our representative. If we’re talking purely NCAA results, things get awfully tough to parse for the good guys.

Something against Slippery Rock?

Stan Dziedzic won three NCAA Division I Wrestling Championships while at Slippery Rock in 1970, 1971, and 1972, three Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference titles, and a University Division title as a junior. His only two losses in his collegiate record were to NCAA champions Mike Grant of Oklahoma in the 1970 NCAA semifinals and to Carl Adams of Iowa State in 1972.

He won an Olympic bronze medal in the 1976 Summer Olympics and the world title in 1977.

Stan Dziedzic won three NCAA Division I Wrestling Championships while at Slippery Rock in 1970, 1971, and 1972, three Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference titles, and a University Division title as a junior. His only two losses in his collegiate record were to NCAA champions Mike Grant of Oklahoma in the 1970 NCAA semifinals and to Carl Adams of Iowa State in 1972.

He won an Olympic bronze medal in the 1976 Summer Olympics and the world title in 1977.
Was he champ in 70 & 72 or did he lose in both semi-finals??

I didn’t do the former D1 programs, but nice addition!

For the MMA fans out there… Koscheck submitted Anthony Johnson and knocked out Matt Hughes in the first round (1st fight after losing his title shot). He then went on a losing streak and retired, but was a legit title contender in his prime..

Reactions: dbbp
Definitely Shalles. He's internationally the greatest pinner in history. He's only a 2x NCAA champ because of a one year disqualification. As I recall, the year Shalles was DQ'd from the NCAA's, he decked Shorty Hitchcock at the PSAC's (Or whatever it was called) and he was up a weight class just to face Hitchcock. Then Hitchcock was OW at the NCAA's two weeks later.
Definitely Shalles.

Definitely Shalles. He's internationally the greatest pinner in history. He's only a 2x NCAA champ because of a one year disqualification. As I recall, the year Shalles was DQ'd from the NCAA's, he decked Shorty Hitchcock at the PSAC's (Or whatever it was called) and he was up a weight class just to face Hitchcock. Then Hitchcock was OW at the NCAA's two weeks later.
Definitely Shalles.
I went with Angle for the freestyle Olympic and World Gold Medals, but considered both. Understand your points; that's why I posted it for discussion. :)

I went with Angle for the freestyle Olympic and World Gold Medals, but considered both. Understand your points; that's why I posted it for discussion. :)
And I went with Shalles because I prefer folkstyle. Both legitimate if one gives a damn about freestyle.

Reactions: mcpat
Cuvo East Strousberg. 2 time champ, three time AA, two time All America in cross Country.
Cuvo, still one of the best wrestlers ever on his feet just non stop and as said a cross country AA. How he ended up at ESU is a great story. But, another great ESU wrestler from the same era, Anibel Nieves. He was a one time AA, but also a 2x Olympian for Puerto Rico.

Reactions: hlstone and mcpat
If we’re including former D1 programs, don’t forget Wayne Boyd from Temple who was NCAA champion in 1969. (I think Temple was D1 when they had a program.)

Reactions: danoftw and mcpat
Clarion I have to go with Schalles.
Lock Haven it is kind of tough to skip Gray Simons.
UPJ obviously is not a D1 program but had 3 time D1 champion Carlton Haselrig.
Hugh Peery and Ed Peery prove Pitt can offer something positive to the conversation.
Just to throw another name out there for Edinboro, Sean O'Day. 1 championship (first I believe for Edinboro), 2 finals, 3 AAs and over a 100 wins.

Clarion I have to go with Schalles.
Lock Haven it is kind of tough to skip Gray Simons.
UPJ obviously is not a D1 program but had 3 time D1 champion Carlton Haselrig.
Hugh Peery and Ed Peery prove Pitt can offer something positive to the conversation.
Just to throw another name out there for Edinboro, Sean O'Day. 1 championship (first I believe for Edinboro), 2 finals, 3 AAs and over a 100 wins.
Good point about Gray Simons at LH. 3X NCAA champion and OW at least once plus a US Olympic team member. He would be at least an honorable mention for GOAT.

If we’re including former D1 programs, don’t forget Wayne Boyd from Temple who was NCAA champion in 1969. (I think Temple was D1 when they had a program.)
I wrestled Wayne Boyd. He screwed up my elbow something awful. He's in big legal trouble now in Colorado, I think.

For the MMA fans out there… Koscheck submitted Anthony Johnson and knocked out Matt Hughes in the first round (1st fight after losing his title shot). He then went on a losing streak and retired, but was a legit title contender in his prime..
Would be in HOF if not for GSP in my opinion.

Reactions: mcpat
BTW, one point of extreme sentiment for me. You named my oldest and closest friend on your list. Chris Black from F&M. (aka Blackie, Beefy, etc). We grew up together in the same ‘hood where Ed Ruth lived. He left us in 2014 and I still miss him terribly. Some special circumstances allowed me to spend a good part of the summer of 2012 with him for which I will be ever grateful.

The only school for which I didn’t visit their website, check the record book and do some googling was Lock Haven. It had to be Kolat, I was certain. But as some other posters have pointed out, it probably instead should be:

Lock Haven: Gray Simons
3x NCAA Champion
2x MOW at Nationals
2x Olympian

2x NCAA Champion
Olympic Gold Medalist
World Champion

NCAA Champion

3x NCAA Champion

3x NCAA Champion
Olympian
Pan Am Gold Medalist

2x Finalist
Olympic Gold Medalist

NCAA AA
3x NCAA Qualifier

2x NCAA Champion
Olympian

2x NCAA Champion

2x AA
4x NCAA Qualifier

3x NCAA Champion

2x NCAA Champion
4x NCAA Finalist
Olympic Gold Medalist
World Champion

What did I get wrong?
what no slippery rock they has NCAA champ

nice list but you definitely missed some big names and schools shouldnt matter if div 1 esp if they won a D1 TITLE

Definitely Gray Simons over Kolat, no disrespect to the latter of course.
Good point about Gray Simons at LH. 3X NCAA champion and OW at least once plus a US Olympic team member. He would be at least an honorable mention for GOAT.
Gray's only collegiate loss was at Thomas Field House to returning NCAA champ Paul Powell of Pitt, a former Lock Haven high school state champ. Several NCAA champs, past and future, competed that night before a rowdy, jam packed Field House. I recall one LH fan "getting on" Pitt's Joe Solomon to the point Joe raised a fist and challenged the fan to come out of the stands and fight. Cooler heads prevailed and the meet continued.

My great evening of wrestling was capped off with a burger at the Buffalo Inn. Does it still exist?

2x NCAA Champion
Olympic Gold Medalist
World Champion

NCAA Champion

3x NCAA Champion

3x NCAA Champion
Olympian
Pan Am Gold Medalist

2x Finalist
Olympic Gold Medalist

NCAA AA
3x NCAA Qualifier

2x NCAA Champion
Olympian

2x NCAA Champion

2x AA
4x NCAA Qualifier

3x NCAA Champion

2x NCAA Champion
4x NCAA Finalist
Olympic Gold Medalist
World Champion

What did I get wrong?
Great post and list. Living in Lancaster and having some knowledge of F&M wrestling, I'm embarrassed I never heard of Chris Black or knew that F&M had a NCAA Champion in wrestling. Tried researching this and couldn't find much. Sadly Chris passed away in 2014 and the article mentions he was a 2 x NCAA champ, and a one time EIWA champ (1972). Was reminded that PSU competed in the EIWA at that time. John Fritz (who would go on to coach at F&M for a few years) placed 5th at 126 lbs in 1972.

Here's what's confusing me. When I search the 1971 and 1972 NCAA championships, I see no listing of Chris Black as a place winner. Did F&M wrestle a different division at the NCAA level? I find that hard to believe as the EIWA was the D1 qualifier for Penn State, Lehigh, etc.. What am I missing here?

Reactions: danoftw
Great post and list. Living in Lancaster and having some knowledge of F&M wrestling, I'm embarrassed I never heard of Chris Black or knew that F&M had a NCAA Champion in wrestling. Tried researching this and couldn't find much. Sadly Chris passed away in 2014 and the article mentions he was a 2 x NCAA champ, and a one time EIWA champ (1972). Was reminded that PSU competed in the EIWA at that time. John Fritz (who would go on to coach at F&M for a few years) placed 5th at 126 lbs in 1972.

Here's what's confusing me. When I search the 1971 and 1972 NCAA championships, I see no listing of Chris Black as a place winner. Did F&M wrestle a different division at the NCAA level? I find that hard to believe as the EIWA was the D1 qualifier for Penn State, Lehigh, etc.. What am I missing here?

He won the college division title and dnp'd at the university division tournament in both years.

Wouldn't Nip Brown be the best ever from F&M? He AA'd twice at D1.

Reactions: danoftw and mhlarch
Chris Black was seeded 3rd in 1972, but lost in the 2nd round to eventual finalist Chris Quigley of Illinois State. He didn't qualify for the wrestle backs. So he was 1 and 1 and out.
In '71 he was seeded 7th and won his first two bouts before losing to a kid from UCLA, would you believe? Again he didn't qualify for the wrestle backs.

Reactions: danoftw and mhlarch
Gray's only collegiate loss was at Thomas Field House to returning NCAA champ Paul Powell of Pitt, a former Lock Haven high school state champ. Several NCAA champs, past and future, competed that night before a rowdy, jam packed Field House. I recall one LH fan "getting on" Pitt's Joe Solomon to the point Joe raised a fist and challenged the fan to come out of the stands and fight. Cooler heads prevailed and the meet continued.

My great evening of wrestling was capped off with a burger at the Buffalo Inn. Does it still exist?
No not that I'm aware of

ADVERTISEMENT