ADVERTISEMENT

Football CFB to adopt three new changes!

Reactions: JoeParulz
Why? What is the purpose of the two minute warning other than more commercials? I think that’s the number one thing the NFL should get rid of. What’s next, a TV timeout every four minutes?
It's part of the drama of a close game. I love it, and I think most will love seeing it in college.

All 3 rules are good and needed changes. Using timeouts around the two minute warning is also strategic. More commercials means more money. That's a good thing for Penn State.

I may be the only person who wants the game to last as long as possible. I love my wife and kid, but I love drinking and watching football almost as much.
In late August I would tell my wife “see you in February.” But now my son likes football as much as I do and the whole Swifty thing made my wife and daughter into casual nfl fans!

Reactions: The Spin Meister
I may be the only person who wants the game to last as long as possible. I love my wife and kid, but I love drinking and watching football almost as much.
But every thing that they have done has reduced actual game time while lengthening broadcast time. Once upon a time, every first down and every out of bounds play resulted in the stoppage of the game clock. A two minute warning is another way to extend broadcast time to bring in more revenue.

Reactions: johnmpsu
It's part of the drama of a close game. I love it, and I think most will love seeing it in college.
How does a commercial break add to the drama of a close game? I don't know the history of why the NFL added it, but I can't think of any logical reasons for a planned game stoppage other than to sell ads, which obviously we as fans don't give a crap about.

Reactions: Roar More
How does a commercial break add to the drama of a close game? I don't know the history of why the NFL added it, but I can't think of any logical reasons for a planned game stoppage other than to sell ads, which obviously we as fans don't give a crap about.
It started back when officials kept the time, so they could make sure the players knew how much time was left…talk about an antiquated rule that’s not needed anymore.

Reactions: Global Fan
I know this was tongue in cheek but there's truth in what you say. Fans that I know don't really care about the length of watching a game they care a lot about. The suits like to state that the problem is that games are too long which isn't true, that isn't the root cause of any problem. The problem is that there are too many stoppages for ads and those stoppages are too long. The changes to reduce game time aren't really about the fans, it's all about making the TV schedules more predictable to optimize TV game schedules and corresponding advertisement and revenue planning, that's it.

I know this was tongue in cheek but there's truth in what you say. Fans that I know don't really care about the length of watching a game they care a lot about. The suits like to state that the problem is that games are too long which isn't true, that isn't the root cause of any problem. The problem is that there are too many stoppages for ads and those stoppages are too long. The changes to reduce game time aren't really about the fans, it's all about making the TV schedules more predictable to optimize TV game schedules and corresponding advertisement and revenue planning, that's it.
And college football isn’t nearly as bad as college basketball in terms of stoppages….too many time outs, too many video reviews, basically giving an extra timeout every time a player fouls out….nothing worse than seeing a close game with two minutes left and realizing both teams have almost all of their timeouts…you know you’re looking at another 20-30 minutes to play two.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT