ADVERTISEMENT

CDT article on Penn State Wrestling Recruits

Sullivan

Nov 24, 2001
Penn State wrestling commits are cleaning up in the postseason. Here’s how they did
By Lauren Muthler

As the Penn State wrestling team was busy last weekend competing in the Big Ten tournament in East Lansing, Mich., some future Nittany Lions were cleaning up in their respective state tournaments, putting caps on their storied high school careers.

Here’s a look at how Penn State’s 2018 recruiting class did in their high school tournaments:

Aaron Brooks (182 pounds)
The North Hagerstown senior made history Monday night when he pinned his opponent in just 45 seconds to win his fourth Maryland state title, becoming the first Washington County wrestler to do so, and just the seventh in the state’s history.

A broken foot on Jan. 6 put Brooks’ chances for a fourth title into question, but he healed in time for his county tournament, and went on to states to pin his way through his bracket for a second straight year.

Each of Brooks’ state titles have come in a different weight class. As a freshman, he won his first title at 126 pounds, then at 138 as a sophomore and 160 as a junior.

He finished this season 28-0, and 163-2 for his career.

Brooks, who’s a Cadet world champ, a three-time National High School Coaches Association and USA Wrestling national champ, made his verbal commitment to the Nittany Lions in February.

He’s expected to join the Nittany Lions for the 2019-20 season, after spending a year working out at the Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs.

Seth Nevills (285 pounds)
Nevills, youngest brother of Penn State junior Nick Nevills, also achieved the ultimate high school wrestling goal — a fourth state title — on Saturday with a first-period pin over his opponent in California’s state championship.

The feat makes the Clovis High School senior just the third wrestler in California history to become a four-time state champ, as he finishes his career 169-1.

Like Brooks, Nevills didn’t just win, but pinned his way through the tournament for a second straight year.

Nevills’ lone career loss came in January when he dropped a 3-2 decision to Greco-Roman world champ Cohlton Schultz, of Colorado, in the finals of the Doc Buchanan Invitational.

Nevills, ranked as the No. 12 pound-for-pound wrestler in his class by FloWrestling, verbally committed to the Nittany Lions in April and signed his National Letter of Intent in November. He’s projected to wrestle at heavyweight.

Brody Teske (126)
Adding to the list of incoming Nittany Lions with four state championships under their belts is Teske, of Fort Dodge, Iowa.

And like both Brooks and Nevills, he accomplished the feat with a pin. The first-period fall helped Fort Dodge pull ahead in the team race on its way to its first state championship as a team in 33 years.

Teske, also like Brooks, won his titles at different weight classes: 106, 113, 120 and 126 pounds. He finishes his high school career with a 177-1 record.

To honor his outstanding career, Teske was named a Sob Steenlage Iowa High School Wrestler of the Year and a Dan Gable Wrestler of the Year for Class 3A.

Teske verbally committed to Penn State in October, choosing the Nittany Lions over Iowa, Iowa State and Northern Iowa.

Roman Bravo-Young (132)
After winning his fourth Arizona state championship on Feb. 10, Bravo-Young finished his high school career with an unblemished 182-0 record.

The Sunnyside senior’s 182 consecutive wins are the most in Arizona history.

He was named the tournament’s Most Outstanding Wrestler for the fourth year in a row, one of only three wrestlers to ever accomplish that feat.

The U.S. Cadet champion at 120 pounds is ranked as the No. 1 prospect at 133 pounds by FloWrestling. He signed his letter of intent to wrestle at Penn State in November.

Gavin Teasdale (126)
Jefferson-Morgan’s Teasdale will have the chance to be Penn State’s fifth incoming four-time state champ this weekend at the PIAA Championships in Hershey.

Teasdale downed Derry’s Shawn Broadway 11-4 in the PIAA Class AA Southwest Regional Tournament on Feb. 24, his fourth such title. Teasdale unofficially became the seventh wrestler since the tournament’s inception in 1987 to win four titles. Among the other four-time champs are three others who’ve worn the blue and white singlet — Cary Kolat, Jimmy Gulibon and Jason Nolf.

Teasdale hit another milestone the previous week, when he won his fourth district tournament with a 18-4 major decision over Broadway.

The senior’s regional title win also broke his school’s career victories record with 157.

Teasdale had initially verbally committed to Iowa with friend and training partner Spencer Lee, before flipping his commitment to Penn State in March.

He’s projected to wrestle at 125 or 133 pounds for Nittany Lions.

Michael Beard (195)
Another commit from Pennsylvania who’s seeing success this postseason is Malvern Prep’s Beard.

The senior earned first place in last weekend’s Pennsylvania Independent Schools Athletic Association tournament with two pins and a decision, and was named the association’s Wrestler of the Year. Beard finished the year with a 28-0 record, marking his second consecutive undefeated season.

Beard, who had originally committed to Northwestern, is ranked as the No. 11 pound-for-pound wrestler in his class (right ahead of Nevills) by FloWrestling. He is projected to wrestle at 197 pounds for the Nittany Lions, after reportedly planning to take a year off to train.

Joe Lee (152)
After finishing an undefeated season with his second consecutive Indiana state title last February, Lee, like his brother Nick Lee, decided to forgo his senior year of high school eligibility to train with the Nittany Lion Wrestling Club in State College while finishing his credits online.

He spent last weekend cheering on his brother from the stands as he took third place at the Big Ten tournament.

Adam Busiello (106)
He might just be a junior, but Eastport-South Manor’s Busiello just captured his fourth New York state title, improving his record to 251-8. With one more year left of eligibility, Busiello is chasing 300 career wins.

The Long Islander verbally committed to the Nittany Lions in 2016 as a freshman after winning the Super 32 and Eastern States.

He’s set to join the Nittany Lions for their 2019-20 season.

http://www.centredaily.com/sports/college/penn-state-university/psu-wrestling/article203835249.html

Wasn't Adam B at 106 two years ago? Pretty sure he has grown since then...:confused:
Busiello won at 126 this year.

His progression;
2014 (7th grade) - Runner-up at 99 pounds
2015 (8th) - Won at 99 pounds
2016 (9th) - Won at 106
2017 (10th) - Won at 120
2018 (11th) - Won at 126

Last edited:
Whoa. Brooks and Teske won the state championships at 4 different weights? Omg. That must be some sort of record. Winning 4 championships at 4 different weights. Someone should make a really big deal out of that.

-______-
What happens if Busiello wins at a 5th weight next year? In New York, no less. Do they rename the Dake Award?

Reactions: Cowbell Man
Would it be wrong to post this article on HR?

Just kidding, but I'm chuckling to myself thinking about it. :)

It is ridiculous the CDT writer can’t get simple facts straight... must be taking lessons from nj.com...

My mood:

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Is the expectation that Brooks will slot right into 184 after a year at OTC and Bo graduates?

It is ridiculous the CDT writer can’t get simple facts straight... must be taking lessons from nj.com...

I went through a phase like this, but I'm not in it anymore so I googled it, to find a link that would be easy to send her. Because she put both her phone number and twitter handle at the bottom of her article, presumably to make herself available for corrections like these. I spent 10minutes looking for what Roar posted and really struggled. The article the author linked to in her piece, with quotes from Busiello & Teemer each, didn't mention what weight class this year's title was in, nor did it reference that one of Teemer's titles was over Busiello years ago. What Roar posted isn't terribly easy to find, certainly not easy if pressed for time.

If you've got a decent link, you can tweet it to her at @lmuth1259 or call it in to [URL='https://bwi.forums.rivals.com/tel:814-231-4646']814-231-4646. I'd guess that if it were delivered with friendliness, the correction would be greatly appreciated.[/URL]

What happens if Busiello wins at a 5th weight next year? In New York, no less. Do they rename the Dake Award?

I know you're just messing around, but Teemer won his 5th NYS title just a few weeks ago, though I don't know if they were all at different weights. Probably not.

Troy Nickerson was the first to win five NYS titles (2001 thru 2005). Again, don't know if all were at different weights, but probably not.

I went through a phase like this, but I'm not in it anymore so I googled it, to find a link that would be easy to send her. Because she put both her phone number and twitter handle at the bottom of her article, presumably to make herself available for corrections like these. I spent 10minutes looking for what Roar posted and really struggled. The article the author linked to in her piece, with quotes from Busiello & Teemer each, didn't mention what weight class this year's title was in, nor did it reference that one of Teemer's titles was over Busiello years ago. What Roar posted isn't terribly easy to find, certainly not easy if pressed for time.

If you've got a decent link, you can tweet it to her at @lmuth1259 or call it in to 814-231-4646. I'd guess that if it were delivered with friendliness, the correction would be greatly appreciated.

I doubt if I correct her they would make the corrections where everyone was sure to see them. Once wrong info is out, it is out. It is not a big deal, because most readers won't remember what weight the CDT said AB was when he shows up on campus. It is just my pet peeve that journalists don't double check sources and accuracy. I just googled "Adam Busiello 2018" and the first five things that popped up said 120 pounds. I just think if you are going to take the time to do such a nice article on the recruits, get the basics right. For what it is worth, I am an educator so I may have unrealistic expectations .

This is so good on so many levels. Most high level programs would kill for 1 or 2 of these guys in a class. We are assembling a roster that could field two potential top ten teams at The NCAA Championship.

Teasdale, Teske, RBY, Lee, & Nevills joining us in 2018.
Busiello, Beard, and Brooks coming in for 2019.

That's ridiculous, and we have not even seen high end prospects like Verk, Berge, and Manville take the mat in a Penn State Singlet yet. All I can do is shake my head and say to myself what are we going to do when Taylor and Ruth Graduate?

Reactions: T J and Dogwelder
Ohio State has a pretty tremendous class of their own coming in next year as well. The arms race of these two schools are pushing them to a level that no one else is really at for the forseeable future if even most of these recruits pan out as expected.

This is so good on so many levels. Most high level programs would kill for 1 or 2 of these guys in a class. We are assembling a roster that could field two potential top ten teams at The NCAA Championship.

Teasdale, Teske, RBY, Lee, & Nevills joining us in 2018.
Busiello, Beard, and Brooks coming in for 2019.

That's ridiculous, and we have not even seen high end prospects like Verk, Berge, and Manville take the mat in a Penn State Singlet yet. All I can do is shake my head and say to myself what are we going to do when Taylor and Ruth Graduate?
... and that doesn't include potentially adding McHenry and Starocci in 2019.

Has to be that insane too, because Tan Tom is compiling his own all star team.

What’s the OSU class look like besides Sasso and Hoffman?
2018: Jaden Mattox, Quinn Kinner, Alexander Felix

2019: Jordan Decatur

I might have missed some guys. You can get the full list from Intermat, Commitments list, sort by college.

What’s the OSU class look like besides Sasso and Hoffman?

1. Malik Heinselman (Castle View, CO) - 125
- Flo's #2 @ 120
2. Kyle Gruber (Massillon Perry, OH) - 125
3. Brendon Fenton (Elyria, OH) - 125
- Flo's #19 @ 120
4. Quinn Kinner (Kingsway Regional, NJ) - 141
- Flo's #2 @ 138
5. Alex Felix (Gilroy, CA) - 141
- Flo's #9 @ 132
6. Jashon Hubbard (Steubenville, OH) - 157
7. Sammy Sasso (Nazareth, PA) - 157
- Flo's #1 @ 145
8. Braeden Redlin (Allen, TX) - 165/174
- Flo's #12 @ 170
9. Jaden Mattox (Grove City Central Crossing, OH) - 165/174
- Flo's #5 @ 160
10. Rocky Jordan (St. Paris Graham, OH) - 165/174
- Flo's #4 @ 170
11. Josh Ramirez (Dubuque Wahlert, IA) - 174
12. Gavin Hoffman (Montoursville, PA) - 197
- Flo's #1 @ 195

And as El-Jefe mentioned, they have a verbal from Jordan Decatur for the 2019 class, who is rated #8 @ 126 (behind 1) Pat Glory - Princeton, 2) Adam Busiello - PSU, 3) Patrick McKee - Minnesota, 4) Malik Johnson - Missouri, 5) Beau Bartlett - Undecided, 6) Alex Thomsen - Nebraska, 7) Brody Teske - PSU. Only Busiello and Bartlett are underclassmen, so once the Seniors are cleared he would be at worst #3 @ 126, and perhaps higher if Willie feels Busiello or Bartlett are moving up a weight.).

If I were a Buckeye fan, I'd be excited about who they are bringing in, top notch talent no doubt.

As it is, I'm a Penn State fan, and excited about who we are bringing in.

CDT is right on top of things. Articles re first round matchups have Nickal wrestling a kid from San Diego State. Seriously. :rolleyes:

FYI, Ruth graduated (double secret graduation) fall semester. Taylor is on track to graduate this spring but is winning world championships and not able to attend classes consistently. All is well.

I still can't believe Gavin, from my hometown is headed to OSU. Uggggggg to the millionth degree.

I still can't believe Gavin, from my hometown is headed to OSU. Uggggggg to the millionth degree.
Tell me about it. There's a guy from my hometown who was also #1 nationally, whose father I knew in HS (he was a little older but we overlapped) ... who's going to Pitt.

But at least with Pitt, the team isn't a threat.

OTOH, his college career likely suffered some because of Pitt. Not that he did anything wrong, just poor coaching, poor practice partners, awful facilities, and a weight change for the team lineup that IMO may not have worked out as well for him personally.

Reactions: Hotshoe
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT