ADVERTISEMENT

Cassar vs Stoll....

pointingdogsrule

Jan 26, 2014
.. so it aint gonna happen unless in the BIG's or Natty. How do you think this one would play out? Cassar gets a lot of TD's on counter shots (last night (Illinois) he appeared to shoot more on offense). To add to that Stoll never seems to shoot. Stoll locks up and pushes people around. Just wondering. Thanks.

PS: let the "shooting jokes begin"

Reactions: tabenn and danoftw
I’m confused. Cassar uses only countershots? Blast doubles are rarely the domain of anything other than a nasty offense. I simply do not see that much counter activity from AC.

Stoll will not man the high steps on the NCAA podium and probably not those of the Big Ten. The days of the slow plodding HWT are passing quickly.

Last edited:
AC’s doubles are amazing, but it’s his reattacks that are nearly unstoppable at this weight class. Gable may be the only heavy that can leg attack Tony without it turning into two for our Jersey guy.

I’m going to sound like turk here, but I dont get the obsession with Stoll here. Though he never shoots leg attacks, so maybe a healthy one could keep it close. White took 0 leg attacks on AC.

Last edited:
AC’s doubles are amazing, but it’s his reattacks that are nearly unstoppable at this weight class. Gable may be the only heavy that can leg attack Tony without turning into two for our Jersey guy.

I’m going to sound like turk here, but I dont get the obsession with Stoll here. Though he never shoots leg attacks, so maybe a healthy one could keep it close. White took 0 leg attacks on AC.

I will agree with you. I wrote in response to counter attacks are really his only domain and that last night he appeared to get offensive. I understood that to mean he is not offensive on his feet which is simply not true.

At least in this case, until Dhesi returned he was the highest returning NCAA placer, and unlike Dhesi he could face Raptor at B10s. So that does make him a milestone of sorts.

Plus Jammen says he would've been an NCAA champ over Snyder multiple years if he had gone to Minny.

Also there is a significant size and style difference. Cassar easily overcame this with Jennings, though a healthy Stoll is much better than Jennings.

Pretty simple. You can't win if you don't shoot.

If Cassar is aggressive and shoots he wins. If he parades around tyeing up for the first 3 minutes he probably loses. (The same holds true for White & Steveson as well).

As of today he is still too cautious and extends way too much respect for some of these guys, with last night being an example, until far to late in the match. Sure he handled a much bigger Jennings, but that first period was a yawner and Cassar has an advantage in neutral over almost anyone not named Gable. He needs to exploit this early in every match.

The blast double is probably off the table vs Stoll. He's to big. It will be difficult to ride him out and Cassar might have a challenge getting out from under. The first period will be key.

If he targets a single leg to a certain knee 3-4x in the first period he will win by at least 3 points.

Reactions: pointingdogsrule
.. so it aint gonna happen unless in the BIG's or Natty. How do you think this one would play out? Cassar gets a lot of TD's on counter shots (last night (Illinois) he appeared to shoot more on offense). To add to that Stoll never seems to shoot. Stoll locks up and pushes people around. Just wondering. Thanks.

PS: let the "shooting jokes begin"

After he graduates, Stoll will be moving to Japan to pursue his true passion. Sumo wrestling.

It all makes perfect sense. Stoll doesn't shoot, others shoot at him.
For what it’s worth. Justin Ortega still hasn’t taken a shot.

Had a funny chat about this with Justin at VMont’s wedding. That speech at EOY banquet was hilarious.

Pretty simple. You can't win if you don't shoot.

If Cassar is aggressive and shoots he wins. If he parades around tyeing up for the first 3 minutes he probably loses. (The same holds true for White & Steveson as well).

As of today he is still too cautious and extends way too much respect for some of these guys, with last night being an example, until far to late in the match. Sure he handled a much bigger Jennings, but that first period was a yawner and Cassar has an advantage in neutral over almost anyone not named Gable. He needs to exploit this early in every match.

The blast double is probably off the table vs Stoll. He's to big. It will be difficult to ride him out and Cassar might have a challenge getting out from under. The first period will be key.

If he targets a single leg to a certain knee 3-4x in the first period he will win by at least 3 points.
Are you watching the same AC that I am?? I’ve never seen him parade around tying up. He’ll take that single to a double blast at the first opening he sees. You may have one match in mind where he just couldn’t get in but for the most part 40 pounds disadvantage doesn’t phase him. JMO.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT