ADVERTISEMENT

Car buying advice?

I cannot justify buying a car that costs more than my parents paid for our home......and depreciates to nearly nothing.....i buy older high end vehicles that have reached their bottom price..takes some effort but the savings I spend on other toys.

If I used that as criteria, I'd be limited to 2K or less.

Yea my dad subscribed to that theory when I was growing up which led to 3 out of 5/6 cars actually working at any one time and the others either in the shop or waiting for him to fix at some point. After witnessing the strain and back pain he suffered from years of fixing his “hulksters” I’d rather have one car that is newer/reliable and am more than willing willing to pay the expense.
I am sorry for your Father's poor choice in auto purchases.....but I do admire you admitting your ignorance in auto appraisal. I said it takes effort....but without an auto loan....life is nice. I have a BMW, Cadillac and a Suburban......each vehicle serves a specific need for the family....another crazy idea I espouse...never waste resources duplicating tools.

130k dang, here’s what I would do.

1. 1970 Mustang Mach 1. $35-40 k
2. 1976 Corvette Stingray $15-20 k
3. 1970 Dodge Cornet SuperBee $25-40 k
4. 2020 Toyota 4Runner or Tacoma $35 K
5. 2018 Toyota Camry $15-20k
Depending on final prices (negotiating the low end) maybe throw in 1991 ZR-1 Corvette. $20-25k or scrap both vettes for a 1970 454 Corvette. 1970 was a great year for Muscle Cars.
A life time (or 20 years whichever comes first) of hassle free daily driving. And many enjoyable smiles per gallon with the 1970 stable.
I would consider a 1969 Chevelle SS, but only if it were retro-fitted with a tesla power plant.

Have not gone this route, but supposedly Costco has a great network of dealers that are very competitively priced.

Would be interested if any of our Board members have purchased this way and what their thoughts are.....thanks in advance.
We did this in Illinois. We had already searched local dealers and the best deal was the Costco price. Saved 2k by going through Costco on a 35k minivan

Reactions: ILLINOISLION
I am sorry for your Father's poor choice in auto purchases.....but I do admire you admitting your ignorance in auto appraisal. I said it takes effort....but without an auto loan....life is nice. I have a BMW, Cadillac and a Suburban......each vehicle serves a specific need for the family....another crazy idea I espouse...never waste resources duplicating tools.

Wow - great example of how to be a pompous asshole. Was only sharing a different viewpoint on the subject and then you insult me and my father? You’re a special kind of touched in the head - go catch COVID you prick.

Condolences on the caddy. And probably the bmw depending on the model.

Reactions: GregInPitt
if you can stomach a wagon get an Audi rs6 avant. Will give you the space of an suv and hold its value better.

What do you plan on using it for though?

A wagon? yikes! No, i'm not into those! I test drove the Cayenne GTS Coupe.. Was really powerful but i thought it was a lil small. Going to test drive the Lavante GTS, RR Sport & LX 570 this saturday. I have a feeling the lavante will also probably feel small although it will test drive amazingly.

What do i plan on using it for? Just everyday stuff.. Dont think i'll be taking it offroading all that often. I am just soo confused and all over the place. I think the best bet is to take suggestions and then go test drive and see which one i like the best.

Hey guys, I was gonna start a new thread but luckily saw this one.. I plan on buying a new car and i need your help. My budget is around $130K (this should include all options if possible). I prefer SUV's and not sedans! Any recommendations? Once you suggest them, i can go and test drive them to see which one i like best. I know there are different classes (like 2-row or 3-row etc.) but right now I am just looking for recommendations and then will reduce the list to see what i like. And NO, i dont want a tesla. TIA!
Best driving experience -
BMW X5M
You can get it fully loaded for around $120k.
If you need extra room -
Cadillac Escalade ESV Premium Luxury Platinum fully loaded goes for around $106k.
A wagon? yikes! No, i'm not into those! I test drove the Cayenne GTS Coupe.. Was really powerful but i thought it was a lil small. Going to test drive the Lavante GTS, RR Sport & LX 570 this saturday. I have a feeling the lavante will also probably feel small although it will test drive amazingly.

What do i plan on using it for? Just everyday stuff.. Dont think i'll be taking it offroading all that often. I am just soo confused and all over the place. I think the best bet is to take suggestions and then go test drive and see which one i like the best.

BMW X5M is a good option.

everyone should be into 600 hp low production wagons with super car performance...

Anyways, tons of options depending your taste and this isn’t tic. Audi’s rsq8 is a beast, built on the same platform as the Lamborghini Urus. SQ8 and SQ7 also fit the bill. Merc gls and g class, x5m but it will probably feel small if you think the cayenne is small. Jag F-pace svr. Tesla Model X.

Reactions: massimoManca II
Best driving experience -
BMW X5M
You can get it fully loaded for around $120k.
If you need extra room -
Cadillac Escalade ESV Premium Luxury Platinum fully loaded goes for around $106k.

BMW X5M is a good option.

Thanks! Will give the X5M a look.

everyone should be into 600 hp low production wagons with super car performance...

Anyways, tons of options depending your taste and this isn’t tic. Audi’s rsq8 is a beast, built on the same platform as the Lamborghini Urus. SQ8 and SQ7 also fit the bill. Merc gls and g class, x5m but it will probably feel small if you think the cayenne is small. Jag F-pace svr. Tesla Model X.

Damn, thats a lot of options! Thanks Lax! Hopefully will get to test drive most if not all of them!

Condolences on the caddy. And probably the bmw depending on the model.
No.....the Cadillac is a 2003 STS...Cadillac version of Chevy Impala Super Sport......which I purchased 2 years ago with 49000 miles and entire Carfax for life of car. The BMW is a 328iS...(not your basic BMW) largest motor and governed at 155 mph.. The Suburban is a K1500 which indicates 4 wheel drive.... purchased in Phoenix with zero rust....which we use on the beaches.There were no computers and video games when I grew up.....so most guys learned how to wrench. I didn't insult your Father....merely replied to what You stated! It should have been intuitively obvious i was not talking about an every man's daily driver.... as I stated high end autos. Most people I know take good care of big ticket cars. Sorry for your hurt feelings..but you cast the first stone.

Thanks! Will give the X5M a look.
They have the X7 BMW out now - just saw one and it is nice. Bigger than the X5 which I didn't find that spacious. X7 is around $90K. I ended up getting an Acura MDX which wife likes. Mine is an older MB C300 - driving the wheels off that one.

No.....the Cadillac is a 2003 STS...Cadillac version of Chevy Impala Super Sport......which I purchased 2 years ago with 49000 miles and entire Carfax for life of car. The BMW is a 328iS...(not your basic BMW) largest motor and governed at 155 mph.. The Suburban is a K1500 which indicates 4 wheel drive.... purchased in Phoenix with zero rust....which we use on the beaches.There were no computers and video games when I grew up.....so most guys learned how to wrench. I didn't insult your Father....merely replied to what You stated! It should have been intuitively obvious i was not talking about an every man's daily driver.... as I stated high end autos. Most people I know take good care of big ticket cars. Sorry for your hurt feelings..but you cast the first stone.

I didn’t talk about my father so you have me confused. BMW hasn’t made a 328is since what 99? It also doesnt have the biggest engine for that generation (e46) 3 series. The m3 owns that title. Unless it’s an even older (e36) generation. M3 had the largest engine for that gen as well. Congrats on your hoopties.

Last edited:
i’ve always felt the 4cyl engines Honda and Toyota used to make were best-suited for the job in their mid size offerings... Those V6s were (are) too heavy... the only reason they started putting them in back in the 90s was because, as a vanity-play it was an effective way to pry an extra $2000 out of a customer... not unlike AWD today... you don’t need it - but you think you do
Don’t you live in fla?

I didn’t talk about my father so you have me confused. BMW hasn’t made a 328is since what 99? It also doesnt have the biggest engine for that generation (e46) 3 series. The m3 owns that title. Unless it’s an even older (e36) generation. M3 had the largest engine for that gen as well. Congrats on your hoopties.
Wrong again.......my iS is a '99 and 36 body generation...I do give you credit for the knowledge you stated....although a tad mixed up.

Hey guys, I was gonna start a new thread but luckily saw this one.. I plan on buying a new car and i need your help. My budget is around $130K (this should include all options if possible). I prefer SUV's and not sedans! Any recommendations? Once you suggest them, i can go and test drive them to see which one i like best. I know there are different classes (like 2-row or 3-row etc.) but right now I am just looking for recommendations and then will reduce the list to see what i like. And NO, i dont want a tesla. TIA!

What does the board think someones minimum net worth should be before they purchase a $130K automobile? I guess it depends on age but i'm thinking it should be at least 5-10 million minimum.

Reactions: bison13
Wrong again.......my iS is a '99 and 36 body generation...I do give you credit for the knowledge you stated....although a tad mixed up.

wrong again? What was I wrong about initially? I was off by a year on the generation change because the sedan came out before the coupe. You were wrong about having the biggest motor. The only e36 worth bragging about is an m3, which are appreciating quite nicely for clean ones.

Good for you that you’re happy with your stable but I dont get the chest banging over a 20 year old rebadged Chevy, an old suburban and an entry level bmw generation that was developed in the late 80s and released in 1990, isn’t an M, and had under 200 horsepower(lol @ the big engine comment). General Motors vehicles from turn of the century are junk. Cadillac was at a low point.

My beater is an 01 escape with 40,000 miles. Only reason it’s still on the road is because I fix it myself. Fuel pump went last year, dealer wanted over a grand. AC just went and I probably won’t bother depending where the leak is. Even with the low mileage, Id never daily it. The advances in car safety alone make upgrading worth it. I avoid taking it on highways and once we have a kid it’ll be gone. Modern cars are just significantly safer. (Will probably let the escape go For a couple hundred bucks this time next year)

if you don’t follow hoovies garage, it would be up your alley...https://hooviesgarage.com/

Last edited:

Ummmm No... the STS is most certainly not the Cadillac version of the Impala SS

Seville/STS was derived from the G-body.... whereas Impala / Impala SS = W platform

They have the X7 BMW out now - just saw one and it is nice. Bigger than the X5 which I didn't find that spacious. X7 is around $90K. I ended up getting an Acura MDX which wife likes. Mine is an older MB C300 - driving the wheels off that one.

x7 is an obscene, hideous bloated mess... appeals to many BMW shoppers ;)

Reactions: fastlax16
There’s one of these at our marina. It is BAD ASS

I just dont get it. I'd rather have the full suv version. If I'm going to sacrifice driving dynamics and get an suv I'd at least want the full cargo area. And since this thread seems full of self flagellation, my golf would absolutely walk away from it in a race for 15-25 grand less and has 3 more cubic feet in the trunk, and will probably be worth more in 5 years.

Reactions: massimoManca II
I buy used cars with low mileage at a local autoshop with no haggling and great prices. Off-Lease Only is the name of it.

So luckily I had a chance to check out an X7 that a buddy's wife owns.. its a BMW, so the interior is spot on with the materials and looks.. But man the outside, doesnt look good at all. Dont know what it is.. Just looks weird! The drive was really good though!

MDX is really nice. Thats a good choice! haha MB C300.. man i had rented that the latest C450 AMG in 2016 and drove it from Munich to Flachau for a wedding. Absolute beast and what a joy to drive. If i was into sedans, I would definitely have given that a look.

My wife swears by it (keyless/pushbutton start)...

I swear AT it....
As the avg age of my fleet gets older or stays mired in the low teens, I expect it will be several years until I own one of those keyless nightmares.

I just dont get it. I'd rather have the full suv version. If I'm going to sacrifice driving dynamics and get an suv I'd at least want the full cargo area. And since this thread seems full of self flagellation, my golf would absolutely walk away from it in a race for 15-25 grand less and has 3 more cubic feet in the trunk, and will probably be worth more in 5 years.

Unless your VW Golf is extremely modded, it absolutely wouldn't walk away from either 2020 GLC AMG model. The GLC43 AMG has 385hp and goes from 0-60 in 4.3 seconds. The GLC63 AMG has 469hp and goes from 0-60 in 3.6 seconds.

Where do you live? Prices can fluctuate between regions.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT