Can someone explain why we still wear masks on airplanes?

jrs1024

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2005
West Palm Beach
I took four flights in the last 24 hours. Each was about a 1 hour segment. You wear your mask right up until they serve you a drink and some food and then the whole plane is maskless. You can go slow on your drink and snack, which I did, and basically be without a mask for 90% of the flight.

This isn’t a masks work / don’t work point I’m making. It’s that how in the holy hell do these masks make any sense when you wear them for 25% of the flight. What’s the point?

LionDeNittany

May 29, 2001
DFW, TX
I took four flights in the last 24 hours. Each was about a 1 hour segment. You wear your mask right up until they serve you a drink and some food and then the whole plane is maskless. You can go slow on your drink and snack, which I did, and basically be without a mask for 90% of the flight.

This isn’t a masks work / don’t work point I’m making. It’s that how in the holy hell do these masks make any sense when you wear them for 25% of the flight. What’s the point?

They never made sense... at least since June 2020

Airplanes were already designed for this type of airborne illness. Frequent filtration and air recycling.

At one point there were over 1bln passengers on an aircraft and only a handful of cases linked to air travel.

LdN

JeffClear

Oct 15, 2017

It's all in the percentages. Wearing a mask lowers the chance of one getting or spreading COVID.

Duff

Gold Member
Aug 11, 2001
Hmmm:
So you say, "I did, and basically be without a mask for 90% of the flight."
THEN:
"how in the holy hell do these masks make any sense when you wear them for 25% of the flight."

Seems like there is more logic in the questionable mask requirements than in your MATH!
lol.

Jason1743

Jan 23, 2006

The point is to exert left wing government control over its citizenry and abuse their civil rights. Or am I confusing this with right wing government control in Texas with has usurped a woman’s right to control her own body.

HartfordLlion

Sep 28, 2001
The point is to exert left wing government control over its citizenry and abuse their civil rights. Or am I confusing this with right wing government control in Texas with has usurped a woman’s right to control her own body.

The Supreme Court has give states lots of leeway as to when they can stop abortions during a women pregnancy. I expect Texas to prevail. Suck it.

Jason1743

Jan 23, 2006
The Supreme Court has give states lots of leeway as to when they can stop abortions during a women pregnancy. I expect Texas to prevail. Suck it.
We will see if the Texas law prevails in court, but that is not my point. My point is the hypocrisy of anti big government, pro individual rights Republicans. Republicans are supportive of big, intrusive government on a subject such as abortion but against federal vaccine mandates. Republicans are against governmental regulation of private business, unless the businesses want to enforce mask wearing, in which case it is okay for states to over ride business and local government policy. Republicans are for fiscal responsibility when we have a Democratic President, but spend like drunken sailors and are oblivious to budget deficits when there is a Republican in the WH. Republicans are pro police, unless the police are trying to control bad behavior of Republicans on Jan 6. Republicans believe in a strict interpretation of the constitution , unless Donald Trump is crapping all over it. Republicans believe in one man one vote, unless you are black, Latino or plan to vote Democratic. Then there are hurdles to overcome before you vote. Etc, etc.

Reactions: Duff

PSUEngineer89

Aug 14, 2021
We know the following facts:

1. N95 masks protect both the wearer and the potential victim.

2. Other masks really have not been shown to be effective. No RCT has been performed that shows even marginal benefit (the mocking side of me says, "only RCTs count, and no other evidence can be allowed").

3. While indoor, prolonged exposure is definitely the main mode of transmission, the filtered air in airplanes seems to have eliminated the spread in airplanes.

So, if the deep state were trying to protect people, they would have advised the weakened, old people to get an N95 mask and wear it (and provided an amazon link - they're very, very cheap and easy to buy).

But since the deep state is not interested in actually protecting people, but rather, interested in reducing our freedoms, they put in place a mask mandate on planes.

Vile people.

psuted

Gold Member
Nov 26, 2010

We will see if the Texas law prevails in court, but that is not my point. My point is the hypocrisy of anti big government, pro individual rights Republicans. Republicans are supportive of big, intrusive government on a subject such as abortion but against federal vaccine mandates. Republicans are against governmental regulation of private business, unless the businesses want to enforce mask wearing, in which case it is okay for states to over ride business and local government policy. Republicans are for fiscal responsibility when we have a Democratic President, but spend like drunken sailors and are oblivious to budget deficits when there is a Republican in the WH. Republicans are pro police, unless the police are trying to control bad behavior of Republicans on Jan 6. Republicans believe in a strict interpretation of the constitution , unless Donald Trump is crapping all over it. Republicans believe in one man one vote, unless you are black, Latino or plan to vote Democratic. Then there are hurdles to overcome before you vote. Etc, etc.

Not even close, there is no comparison between the two. Try again.

Jason1743

Jan 23, 2006
We know the following facts:

1. N95 masks protect both the wearer and the potential victim.

2. Other masks really have not been shown to be effective. No RCT has been performed that shows even marginal benefit (the mocking side of me says, "only RCTs count, and no other evidence can be allowed").

3. While indoor, prolonged exposure is definitely the main mode of transmission, the filtered air in airplanes seems to have eliminated the spread in airplanes.

So, if the deep state were trying to protect people, they would have advised the weakened, old people to get an N95 mask and wear it (and provided an amazon link - they're very, very cheap and easy to buy).

But since the deep state is not interested in actually protecting people, but rather, interested in reducing our freedoms, they put in place a mask mandate on planes.

Vile people.
Mask wearing on airplanes is a deep state conspiracy? OMG, LOL. Is right wing selfishness and stupidity a deep state conspiracy?
Certainly N95 masks are more effective than other masks, but even relatively porous masks are affective in preventing airborne fluids emitted from the mouth and nose than can contain virus. You can’t spit thru any mask.
Yes, air filtration on airplanes appears to be effective. However, airline seats are close together. If I’m sitting within 6 feet of an infected passenger the air filtration system is useless. It will protect me from someone in another part of the plane, but not someone I’m sitting next to.
Certainly our mask and COVID protocols are flawed, but we are doing the best we can. There is an expression not to let the perfect get in the way of the good.

Reactions: Duff

PSUEngineer89

Aug 14, 2021
Mask wearing on airplanes is a deep state conspiracy? OMG, LOL. Is right wing selfishness and stupidity a deep state conspiracy?
Certainly N95 masks are more effective than other masks, but even relatively porous masks are affective in preventing airborne fluids emitted from the mouth and nose than can contain virus. You can’t spit thru any mask.
Yes, air filtration on airplanes appears to be effective. However, airline seats are close together. If I’m sitting within 6 feet of an infected passenger the air filtration system is useless. It will protect me from someone in another part of the plane, but not someone I’m sitting next to.
Certainly our mask and COVID protocols are flawed, but we are doing the best we can. There is an expression not to let the perfect get in the way of the good.
Nope.

All democrats can wear an N95 mask and therefore not worry about what I wear.

Reactions: Gnat91

Jason1743

Jan 23, 2006
Nope.

All democrats can wear an N95 mask and therefore not worry about what I wear.
N95 is the only mask I wear. Unfortunately when knuckleheads get sick and over whelm my hospital so I can’t get elective care I need or want, it becomes my business. When knuckleheads spend large amounts of government or insurance dollars that ultimately come out of my pocket, it’s my problem. When the supply chain is disrupted because of illness and I can’t get goods or services I need or want, it’s my problem.
The pandemic and health in general should not be a partisan issue. Why do you guys insist on framing it that way?

PSUEngineer89

Aug 14, 2021
N95 is the only mask I wear. Unfortunately when knuckleheads get sick and over whelm my hospital so I can’t get elective care I need or want, it becomes my business. When knuckleheads spend large amounts of government or insurance dollars that ultimately come out of my pocket, it’s my problem. When the supply chain is disrupted because of illness and I can’t get goods or services I need or want, it’s my problem.
The pandemic and health in general should not be a partisan issue. Why do you guys insist on framing it that way?
Supply chain is disrupted because you guys shut down the economy, gave out free stuff, and now no one wants to work.

Your elective surgery will never require me to change my behavior.

Too bad.

83wuzme

Apr 27, 2005
I have not been on a plane since August, 2019. During the flights I had at that time, I sat directly behind a guy who coughed and sneezed for four hours. Five days later, I developed a bad cold. I even missed a day of work. It was probably a coronavirus, but not the coronavirus.
This has hardly been an isolated incident for me. Most times I fly for any length of time, I end up with a cold. I am actually a fairly healthy person, but there’s something about being packed into a metal tube with a bunch of people, breathing the same air that causes me to get sick. Crazy, I know.

interrobang

Aug 21, 2016
I've never gotten a cold that I could attribute to flying.

An airplane is probably the safest place to be if you have to be indoors during covid

Last edited:

jrs1024

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2005
West Palm Beach
It's all in the percentages. Wearing a mask lowers the chance of one getting or spreading COVID.
Why not just cancel air travel then? That would play the percentages.

My point wasn’t about mask usage generally since that’s been hashed out a thousand times. It was simply that on these domestic flights, it’s “required” and then people have them off for the majority of the flight because food and drink prevent the spread or something? I don’t know. Just seems kinda dumb. There are two branches of logic to follow here (prevention or live with it) and this policy follows neither.

Reactions: PSUEngineer89

franklinman

Apr 5, 2011
Pa and Fl

The point is, just to piss off the cons.

interrobang

Aug 21, 2016
Why not just cancel air travel then? That would play the percentages.

My point wasn’t about mask usage generally since that’s been hashed out a thousand times. It was simply that on these domestic flights, it’s “required” and then people have them off for the majority of the flight because food and drink prevent the spread or something? I don’t know. Just seems kinda dumb. There are two branches of logic to follow here (prevention or live with it) and this policy follows neither.

It's the same logic that says walking in a restaurant for 30 seconds requires a mask, but sitting at a table in a restaurant for an hour or two does not.

razpsu

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2004
So you want choice but then you don’t. Which is it with you guys.

Reactions: bourbon n blues

LionDeNittany

May 29, 2001
DFW, TX

This is untrue. The filtration system works if you are next to or 5 rows away from someone who is ill.

We have flights that are 17hrs long. The entire plane doesn't end up with the Flu when they land.

LdN

LionDeNittany

May 29, 2001
DFW, TX

Blah blah blah lie lie lie.

It was cute how you threw the test board under the bus the other day.

Trashed everyone here. Very big of you.

LdN

Reactions: bourbon n blues

RGWhirly

Jul 30, 2017

I hear you. I was on a flight and someone brought a big bag of m&m’s and ate one about every 20 seconds for close to the whole 100 minute flight. Genius really.

Reactions: john4psu

wilbury

Feb 19, 2005
Two reasons

1) Political theater
2) Political theater
Correct. I've flown a lot the last few months and what goes on in the airport and on a plane laughable. If masks make a difference, every flight and every day at an airport would be a super spreader event.

Same with restaurants. Why do I need to wear a mask to walk into the restaurant and have the hostess seat me only to be maskless the remainder of the time with people literally on top of me also with no masks on?

wilbury

Feb 19, 2005
I hear you. I was on a flight and someone brought a big bag of m&m’s and ate one about every 20 seconds for close to the whole 100 minute flight. Genius really.
Yeah, I brought a salad on my flight from Las Vegas to Charlotte. The guy beside me had Burger King. Good for an hour without masks.

Reactions: PSUEngineer89

PSUEngineer89

Aug 14, 2021
Resist every little way you can. Comply s l o w l y when you must. Mock them when you can.

Use their own rules against them. Point out when ever they don't abide by their own rules, and ask "Is it safe for you to....xxx"

Correct. I've flown a lot the last few months and what goes on in the airport and on a plane laughable. If masks make a difference, every flight and every day at an airport would be a super spreader event.

Same with restaurants. Why do I need to wear a mask to walk into the restaurant and have the hostess seat me only to be maskless the remainder of the time with people literally on top of me also with no masks on?

Yeah, I brought a salad on my flight from Las Vegas to Charlotte. The guy beside me had Burger King. Good for an hour without masks.

interrobang

Aug 21, 2016
Problem with that is no pilot or flight attendant wants a mask mandate because it's just a royal PITA for them.

Jason1743

Jan 23, 2006
I don’t think so. I think there are very separate forces closing down factories in the Far East and other locations , or cause shipping rates to increase 600% . COVID ravaged economies all over the world, not just the US.

Jason1743

Jan 23, 2006
This is untrue. The filtration system works if you are next to or 5 rows away from someone who is ill.

We have flights that are 17hrs long. The entire plane doesn't end up with the Flu when they land.

LdN
I you are sitting next to an infected person for a 17 hour flight the air filtration system will not protect you. I would assume all your passengers have been vaccinated or recently tested. Probably both.

LionDeNittany

May 29, 2001
DFW, TX
I you are sitting next to an infected person for a 17 hour flight the air filtration system will not protect you. I would assume all your passengers have been vaccinated or recently tested. Probably both.

You are wrong. And the statistics prove it.

LdN

wlawn

Sep 27, 2016
And your silly little cloth mask will do nothing, and if you have a N95 on, do you have it on correctly?, were you fitted for it? If you have a beard, you won't have a prober seal.

interrobang

Aug 21, 2016
And your silly little cloth mask will do nothing, and if you have a N95 on, do you have it on correctly?, were you fitted for it? If you have a beard, you won't have a prober seal.

And every time you take a bite/drink, do you put on a new mask since you've then contaminated the one you're wearing when you touched it?