ADVERTISEMENT

Can someone explain the thank you card?

This team cant even get the turnover celebration correct. First of all, all of the celebration chains etc are pathetic, but a greeting card....Really?

Maybe hold up a time and game management cards in the hopes that someone knows how to close out a game. Obviously Jimmy and the boys do not understand simple math.

Turnover card?!?....Indiana should have been the team holding up that card. Ironically, it's being held up by Luketa who is later ejected for targeting...Karma?? Not a fan of this or Lamont Wade jumping up on the bench mugging for the crowd/camera at every opportunity. IMHO Wade needs to seriously step up his game after yesterday's performance. He was fried multiple times where Indiana failed to connect, beat on the OT touchdown, and botched a kickoff that started PSU on their own 4 yard line. To me, he is the defense's weakest link.

Turnover card?!?....Indiana should have been the team holding up that card. Ironically, it's being held up by Luketa who is later ejected for targeting...Karma?? Not a fan of this or Lamont Wade jumping up on the bench mugging for the crowd/camera at every opportunity. IMHO Wade needs to seriously step up his game after yesterday's performance. He was fried multiple times where Indiana failed to connect, beat on the OT touchdown, and botched a kickoff that started PSU on their own 4 yard line. To me, he is the defense's weakest link.

When opposing receivers beat our secondary, they should hold up a jock strap.

#40 should be more concerned with proper tackling technique than holding up stupid signs during a game.
Not get off topic here, but Luketa's hit look like one of those that would justify a second category of targeting (15 yard penalty, no ejection).

I say that because his helmet (which wasn't fully lowered) hit the offensive players shoulder pad first, then slide up to hit the helmet. Since jerseys/shoulder pads/helmets are not made of velcro, this is bound to happen. Unless players are not allowed to hit anything above the middle of the chest (which is fine, but keep in mind the target is moving and often ducking), I don't see how you legislate this out of the game.

I propose you have a flagrant targeting (15 yards plus ejection) and a regular penalty (15 yards only no ejection). Perhaps if you get multiple of the latter over the course of two games(?) you get an ejection, but one non-intentional foul where the target is ducking isn't worthy of an ejection.

Reactions: BBrown and 91Joe95
Yes, and yet it is representative of society at large. In the NFL every half decent play is a cause for celebration. It's yet another reason I rarely watch any sport at any level. Play the damn game, win it, and then go celebrate.
I understand celebration (although not to the extent one sees especially in the NFL). I think it is OK to be happy with an accomplishment. But I don't like it at the expense of an opponent. Congratulate each other as a team success on the sideline.

I understand celebration (although not to the extent one sees especially in the NFL). I think it is OK to be happy with an accomplishment. But I don't like it at the expense of an opponent. Congratulate each other as a team success on the sideline.
I can live with that.

We all agree that it was classless. Let's have some fun though - since we know the coaches are going to allow these sideline antics - lawnboyz last year and thank you card this year - what is something quintessential to Penn State or heck just something random and fun that we could get a laugh at if the kids had on the sidelines. And the stick in the mud folks saying there shouldn't be anything let loose a bit and see what'cha can come up with.

Here's some current ones to get your noggins going

I would agree with THIS 100%.

I do not exactly like the 'Miami turnover chain'. I actually hate it. But the difference is that the Miami turnover chain is simply the Miami team celebrating themselves. It is an inner-team celebration. They are not holding it up and taunting the other team across the field with it. This Greeting Card thing, IMO, totally crossed the line because it taunted the opposing team. First of all, I am almost embarrassed for Franklin for allowing that type of buffoonery. How a coach looks at holding up a Greeting Card and thanking the opposition for their turnover as "acceptable" is beyond me. 2nd, if I am the Commissioner of the B1G, I notify Penn State that this is technically "taunting", and the officials are put on alert to call it an unsportsmanlike penalty. As an example, take the TD celebration. I believe a player gets the 15 yard celebration if he scores a TD and addresses the crowd in his celebration. If a player scores a TD and turns to celebrate with his teammates, then it is OK. But if a player scores a TD and addresses the crowd in his celebration, then it's a 15-yard penalty. If I am B1G Commissioner, I advise the conference coaches of a similar rule on these sideline celebrations. If you are doing a sideline celebration in a way that taunts the other team, then it's a 15 yard penalty.

I would agree with THIS 100%.

I do not exactly like the 'Miami turnover chain'. I actually hate it. But the difference is that the Miami turnover chain is simply the Miami team celebrating themselves. It is an inner-team celebration. They are not holding it up and taunting the other team across the field with it. This Greeting Card thing, IMO, totally crossed the line because it taunted the opposing team. First of all, I am almost embarrassed for Franklin for allowing that type of buffoonery. How a coach looks at holding up a Greeting Card and thanking the opposition for their turnover as "acceptable" is beyond me. 2nd, if I am the Commissioner of the B1G, I notify Penn State that this is technically "taunting", and the officials are put on alert to call it an unsportsmanlike penalty. As an example, take the TD celebration. I believe a player gets the 15 yard celebration if he scores a TD and addresses the crowd in his celebration. If a player scores a TD and turns to celebrate with his teammates, then it is OK. But if a player scores a TD and addresses the crowd in his celebration, then it's a 15-yard penalty. If I am B1G Commissioner, I advise the conference coaches of a similar rule on these sideline celebrations. If you are doing a sideline celebration in a way that taunts the other team, then it's a 15 yard penalty.

+1000 to everything you said. When I saw the cards being held up I thought it was a thank you to the families that showed up and liked that idea. Then I saw the rest...really bad form. I will make no excuses for it I like Franklin but this was a serious mistake on his part. He needs to fix it and end it.

Reactions: Kiber
+1000 to everything you said. When I saw the cards being held up I thought it was a thank you to the families that showed up and liked that idea. Then I saw the rest...really bad form. I will make no excuses for it I like Franklin but this was a serious mistake on his part. He needs to fix it and end it.
Here is an email I sent to Franklin and Pry yesterday. I understand that they don't actually monitor their own email inboxes as that is done by an administrative assistant. Maybe it will get passed on to them, maybe it won't. Maybe I will receive a canned response from the admin person, maybe I won't. We'll see.

Coach Franklin and Coach Pry,

I am of a different generation than you and your players, so I recognize that my viewpoint might be skewed by the differences in our ages and backgrounds. I enjoy almost everything you have done with Penn State football since your arrival and congratulate you on your past and hopefully, future success. You and your players (usually) represent themselves, the university, and the community with class.

However, you have allowed a new "tradition" that doesn't meet the standards of sportsmanship that PSU should be demonstrating. That is the "thank you" card you have allowed to be included on your sideline following a turnover. I fully support players celebrating among themselves following a great play, no matter what side of the ball is involved.

Yet, this "thank you" card goes beyond player celebration. Instead, it appears to be mocking or taunting the opponent. Perhaps you and your team don't see it in that manner, but trust me, most of the TV viewing audience does.

We all have heard the term "karma". Well, karma bit you and your team in the butt on Saturday when the Indiana staff outcoached your staff and their players ate your lunch in the last 2 minutes of play, including overtime. Frankly, your team looks like idiots celebrating with that (taunting) gimmick while the scoreboard says Indiana 17, Penn State 7. So, maybe it is time to come up with some other type of sideline celebration for your players.

On a personal note to Coach Franklin, I recognize how difficult these past few months have been separated from your family. I wish you the best of luck in navigating this difficult time with that situation and look forward to the day (soon) when this entire country can put this virus behind us and allow us to enjoy family, friends, and 100,000+ Beaver Stadium crowds.

Mr. PSUFBFAN

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT