ADVERTISEMENT

Can Cael coach 2 Teams?

What an absolute ass kicking of Michigan. He is the John Wooden of collegiate wrestiing, and has supplanted Dan Gable as the face of the sport.
Still a little way to go to supplant Gable but he’s on the path. Gable had 15 NCAA Titles and 45 national champion wrestlers.

Maybe he could just deliver some “in game” zen to CJF….

Last edited:
Gable is the measure but Cael has a few more restrictions to deal with plus it is much more competitive these days. The current run is so remarkable so just sit back and enjoy the ride. The next wave will be better than the previous one just as each “next up” has been. Can’t wait for Taylor and Ruth to graduate!

Reactions: creamery freak
Gable is the measure but Cael has a few more restrictions to deal with plus it is much more competitive these days. The current run is so remarkable so just sit back and enjoy the ride. The next wave will be better than the previous one just as each “next up” has been. Can’t wait for Taylor and Ruth to graduate!
Absolutely, as is pretty well known among knowledgeable wrestling fans, Gable and Iowa took numerous 'liberties' in the way they used scholarships back in the day. Today's 9.9 scholarship rule and the amount of development and parity in the sport at the high school level make what is happening at Penn State pretty unique. Hopefully Ruth, Wright, Taylor, Nolf, Retherford, Nickal don't graduate and leave the cupboard bare.

Reactions: Ski and m48tank
What an absolute ass kicking of Michigan. He is the John Wooden of collegiate wrestiing, and has supplanted Dan Gable as the face of the sport.

It was indeed an ass kicking, and I enjoyed about 5 too many cocktails in the process.....

Would have liked to seen Lee vs. Micic, and UM had a bad break at 157.

Absolutely, as is pretty well known among knowledgeable wrestling fans, Gable and Iowa took numerous 'liberties' in the way they used scholarships back in the day. Today's 9.9 scholarship rule and the amount of development and parity in the sport at the high school level make what is happening at Penn State pretty unique. Hopefully Ruth, Wright, Taylor, Nolf, Retherford, Nickal don't graduate and leave the cupboard bare.
Lol

he is correct…. In fact Gable and a few other schools were actually punished by the B10 when it happened

In essence he viewed his scholarships as a pool of money, rather than individual scholarships

still an amazing wrestler and amazing coach.

All he can do is recruit. Why don't his non top 10 recruits produce? Some of his top 10 were actually busts.

Who was coaching 125 last year?

How about 157?

Coaching = Recruiting, recruiting and recruiting.

It is not a coincidence that Bama and georgia were top 5 in recruiting.

Guess who was top two in wrestling recruiting?

yep. Unranked recruit Anthony cassar is the only guy to ever defeat Gable Steveson in college. …. And he did it with zero coaching in college

you win

Twice I might add.

How sweet was that?

Both were actually studs.

Who coached guillibon , Altons. And nevils? Justin shorter x 5
Most were AA’s if I’m not mistaken. Maybe they didn’t reach the top podium but they had their moments and were pretty accomplished. Alton’s were derailed by injury. Jimmy was definitely hesitant the older he got and the Nevills were passed by Ant and Kerk. Not bad.

Speaking of LOL, I see you love the Bull. One of Cael’s unheralded recruits (Matt Brown - rated 78 or so) will have a better career in his 3 years of starting than top 10 Marinelli’s 4 years.

The Brands are generally hopeless coaching anyone taller than 5’4”

Last edited:
Most were AA’s if I’m not mistaken. Maybe they didn’t reach the top podium but they had their moments and were pretty accomplished. Alton’s were derailed by injury. Jimmy was definitely hesitant the older he got and the Nevills were passed by Ant and Kerk. Not bad.

60 all Americans each year. Where would you expect a top 10 recruit to finish?

Speaking of LOL, I see you love the Bull. One of Cael’s unheralded recruits (Matt Brown - rated 78 or so) will have a better career in his 3 years of starting than top 10 Marinelli’s 4 years.

The Brands are generally hopeless coaching anyone taller than 5’4”

Wasn't brown a transfer? 27-2 as a freshman? Didn't he then take two years off for a Mormon mission? Not exactly the same as an unknown HS recruit.

When Gable coached, schools were allowed eleven scholarships for wrestling. (Gabe was a little creative.) Now the scholarship limit is 9.9. Also, over 150 Division 1 schools have dropped wrestling over the years. I'm too lazy to research when each school dropped wrestling, but the majority were n reaction to Title IX. Hard to say if a concentration of wrestlers made team championships harder, but that is my gut feeling.

When Gable coached, schools were allowed eleven scholarships for wrestling. (Gabe was a little creative.) Now the scholarship limit is 9.9. Also, over 150 Division 1 schools have dropped wrestling over the years. I'm too lazy to research when each school dropped wrestling, but the majority were n reaction to Title IX. Hard to say if a concentration of wrestlers made team championships harder, but that is my gut feeling.

Great point. How many teams can even compete for a national championship? 10 is probably a stretch. PSU, OSU, Iowa, okstate.

All he can do is recruit. Why don't his non top 10 recruits produce? Some of his top 10 were actually busts.

So, in the age of 9.9 scholarships, top 10 recruits don't want coaching? How do you think Cael can have a Rasheed/Cassar combination at one weight, a Dean/Beard combination, or a Kerkvliet/Nevills combination, etc., on his bench? Kids are willing to come wrestle for Cael despite there being talent above, below and around them for a reason. It isn't what he did in college before they were born. Cael can and does coach. The number of big name MMA and UFC wrestlers paying to roll with Cael speaks to his ability to teach.

Why can the Brands coach 125s through 141s, but not figure out how to coach 149+.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT