ADVERTISEMENT

Caleb Downs transfers to OSU.

You are still spending more money than all but a few other select programs and more than Penn State and any other B10 program. Don't undersell it. You are buying players from other schools and paying your own star players whatever it takes to keep them. You are desperate to beat Michigan, clearly. Not saying it is illegal but just admit it, OSU is one of the big time money players in this game. The fact that Egbuka, Henderson, Tuamalou, all return and you get the Ole Miss RB and the Bama safety. And I wouldn't be surprised if the Bama OT goes there. You would have also spent whatever it takes on a QB but the KSU guy probably didn't cost that much. You guys are spending whatever it takes and the point is if this continues unregulated then the sport which already teeters on being uncompetitive will become a joke.
You said we're spending money at an unprecedented level. That's simply not accurate. I'm not underselling anything -- I'm stating with absolute confidence that there are schools spending more than us on the whole. Texas, Oregon, and Miami seem to be leading the way. We appear to be on par with Georgia.

If we had this discussion a month ago during national signing day, everybody was talking about how Miami is outspending absolutely everybody. Because that's where they put their money -- recruits. OSU boards were bemoaning our NIL approach after Miami flipped multiple recruits and ran off with a Texas A&M-like class. We got outspent on recruiting by a large margin.

Now that we're in the retention/portal window, this is where we shine. And yes, we're outspending probably everybody on retention. Which is fine by me.......it means we're paying proven commodities. These kids bring huge dollars to the university -- I'm glad they're getting their share.

The Bama OT already committed to Iowa yesterday.

You don't believe that "most" people that watch college football watch the NFL? If so that might be the dumbest thing ever thought here. Actually you don't believe that you just want to bitch.
How the hell do you know - and as for dumb that is pretty much everything you ever typed on this board - just for fun does WVU still suck? - don't bother answering but I know you will.

• Haha
Reactions: LandoComando
How the hell do you know - and as for dumb that is pretty much everything you ever typed on this board - just for fun does WVU still suck? - don't bother answering but I know you will.
Why ask a question if you don't want me to answer? Obviously WVU is garbage. Any sane person acknowledges that. Again, tell me who they beat that was good... No one. No one even decent let alone good. But you're one of those people that are too stupid to analyze games and resumes. Just "oh they won X number of games" that's all I need to know. You're a moron. All wins are equal. All losses are equal. Be that stupid.

You're right--why would people that like football watch one but not the other? I'm sure most people only watch one or the other--that's how stupid you are that you believe that. It's like believing people that watch college hockey don't watch the NHL

Merely opinion here, but although PSU has thus huge alumni base, im not sure the community is the type to shell out mega bucks for football players. I'm not disparaging schools that do, it's just not the ethos of ex students at the school to reach into their pocket and pay for student athletes. I get it, you got a lot of extra money and you live in Alabama or georgia(lower cos of living) you have no problem supporting the football team financially, it just isn't the mindset of a lot of penn state fans. Maybe it still ties to the now antiquated concept of "success with honor" I just dont know. I have maintained that if you want to be one of the top 30 programs in the country, part of the super conference, you need to go all in financially. Penn state seems to take half measures, we certainly pay our coach a lot, but continue to lag behind in other initiatives. I sort of wonder is penn state isn't better off, in the future, in a 2nd tier of football that is more aligned with the student athlete mantra from 20-30 years ago. I've seen very little indication we can be better than really competitive but not quite there with the true big boys now.
I don't blame anyone for not donating to NIL. The collective will never see one single cent from me. It's laughable that a program that makes $200M in annual revenue and a sport making billions asks Joe Public for donations for athletes that already have one of the best lives they could possibly ever dream of with tons of benefits and free stuff, and are already among the most fortunate and privileged humans in the world. Should we donate our money to poor Elon Musk and Jeff Bezos too? It's a completely ridiculous premise and suggestion. If I'm donating money to someone, it's to people and organizations that need it, not to those that are already more well-off than 99% of the world's population. I'd imagine, and I actually hope for the sake of humanity, that many others feel the same way. If that means losing some recruits and football games, so be it.

I don't blame anyone for not donating to NIL. The collective will never see one single cent from me. It's laughable that a program that makes $200M in annual revenue and a sport making billions asks Joe Public for donations for athletes that already have one of the best lives they could possibly ever dream of with tons of benefits and free stuff, and are already among the most fortunate and privileged humans in the world. Should we donate our money to poor Elon Musk and Jeff Bezos too? It's a completely ridiculous premise and suggestion. If I'm donating money to someone, it's to people and organizations that need it, not to those that are already more well-off than 99% of the world's population. I'd imagine, and I actually hope for the sake of humanity, that many others feel the same way. If that means losing some recruits and football games, so be it.
Well said, and very likley the feeling shared by the majority of PSU alumni. If rich Georgia alums want to donate $50k to the football program and they think that betters humanity, God bless em.

OSU also just got Number 1 QB Sayin from Alabama. The spending continues

IMG-4066.gif

OSU also just got Number 1 QB Sayin from Alabama. The spending continues
Wow this is beyond crazy. OSU has to be a favorite to win the Natty. I didn’t think they’d get Sayin with another 5 star already coming in along with one of the top transfer QBs and two 4 stars already on the roster. That QB competition is going to be ridiculous. Where is this NIL money coming from?

Wow this is beyond crazy. OSU has to be a favorite to win the Natty. I didn’t think they’d get Sayin with another 5 star already coming in along with one of the top transfer QBs and two 4 stars already on the roster. That QB competition is going to be ridiculous. Where is this NIL money coming from?

Sayin was not an NIL acquisition as much as a Ryan Day/BoB acquisition. Sayin is very close with BoB and was very interested in OSU before Raiola committed to us. He's also a fellow SoCal guy and really bought into the CJ Stroud development plan.

Obviously he'll be compensated well, but nothing suggests that Sayin was looking for a bidding war.

There will obviously be a transfer or two

Reactions: 87 Penn St8
Sayin was not an NIL acquisition as much as a Ryan Day/BoB acquisition. Sayin is very close with BoB and was very interested in OSU before Raiola committed to us. He's also a fellow SoCal guy and really bought into the CJ Stroud development plan.

Obviously he'll be compensated well, but nothing suggests that Sayin was looking for a bidding war.
My comment was more about Downs and his 2 mil as well as all the high draft picks that are coming back. I get the BOB connection from Bama for Sayin as he’s the perfect fit for his offense so NIL probably wasn’t a big factor for him. My question is how does OSU have such big NIL resources. I don’t believe PSU is even close even though we supposedly have a more organized NIL effort. Is it boosters, local businesses, alumni and fan NIL donations? I have a friend who’s kid is transferring to OSU lacrosse and is getting everything paid for as well as 800 a month for walking around money.

My comment was more about Downs and his 2 mil as well as all the high draft picks that are coming back. I get the BOB connection from Bama for Sayin as he’s the perfect fit for his offense so NIL probably wasn’t a big factor for him. My question is how does OSU have such big NIL resources. I don’t believe PSU is even close even though we supposedly have a more organized NIL effort. Is it boosters, local businesses, alumni and fan NIL donations? I have a friend who’s kid is transferring to OSU lacrosse and is getting everything paid for as well as 800 a month for walking around money.
Ah, gotcha.

Yeah, rumor is we paid about $2 million for Downs. Comparable to what Georgia offered, and probably comparable to what Bama got him for in the first place. All offers being equal, we won out because he and his family were never THAT comfortable with Kirby Smart for some reason, and he always loved the OSU program.

Our NIL foundations (especially the 1870 Foundation) really got their shit together after a rough start, and I think major donors were thoroughly energized after the Michigan loss and their title. It's a combination of boosters, every day donors, etc. We don't have a John Ruiz like Miami who personally shells out unlimited cash to buy recruits, nor do we have the Texas oil money. But we have an enormous fan base and one that is enormously passionate about football. I can't imagine PSU is significantly different. Great fan base -- both in terms of size and passion. And lots of fans in fairly well-to-do areas (like the DC area, Philly, etc.).

Please don’t kill me, I come in peace. From what I understand, the schools can’t have anything to do with NIL. There had to be an outside collective (yeah, I know, nudge nudge, wink wink). At Pitt, their collective is called Alliance 412, and at the top is run by a well to do alum. They have approximately 3,000-4,000 monthly donors, ranging from $19.75/month and up. I know you have the NLC, like Pitt has the Panther Club. The Panther Club has its donations go straight to the athletic department. I’m assuming the NLC is the same. Both clubs have their mandatory donations attached to season tickets, and then monthly donations from anyone.
For me, I belonged to the Panther Club. I just switched my allegiance to the NIL collective. As have a lot of football STH. Has this happened with the NLC? I figured that the athletic department has enough money (even though Pitt is last in the ACC in donations). I’d rather funnel my donations directly to the players rather than the school. I’m nowhere near a big donor, I give what I can. But, if a couple thousand fans do what I do, maybe we can make a difference with a recruit or a transfer.
Curious to hear your thoughts.

We have just as much money. We just aren't spending.
How the hell would you know? Who is benefitting from all that money which Penn State allegedly isn’t spending? Then again you’re the clown who keeps claiming WVU which went 9-4 is terrible.

How the hell would you know? Who is benefitting from all that money which Penn State allegedly isn’t spending? Then again you’re the clown who keeps claiming WVU which went 9-4 is terrible.
WVU is terrible. What was their best win? Everyone would own that if say Michigan beat them instead of us but because we beat them people are desperate to believe they're anything other than trash.
Lots of people are benefiting from it. How do you think we dont have money? Stop being naive.

You said we're spending money at an unprecedented level. That's simply not accurate. I'm not underselling anything -- I'm stating with absolute confidence that there are schools spending more than us on the whole. Texas, Oregon, and Miami seem to be leading the way. We appear to be on par with Georgia.

If we had this discussion a month ago during national signing day, everybody was talking about how Miami is outspending absolutely everybody. Because that's where they put their money -- recruits. OSU boards were bemoaning our NIL approach after Miami flipped multiple recruits and ran off with a Texas A&M-like class. We got outspent on recruiting by a large margin.

Now that we're in the retention/portal window, this is where we shine. And yes, we're outspending probably everybody on retention. Which is fine by me.......it means we're paying proven commodities. These kids bring huge dollars to the university -- I'm glad they're getting their share.

The Bama OT already committed to Iowa yesterday.
So unprecedented spending to keep current players. I bet you spent into the Miami territory to get the Bama safety.

Day knows he needs to beat Michigan next year and do serious damage in the playoff (at least semis). If the Buckeyes blow it again at home to the Wolverines then to use an old fashioned phrase..."They will run Day out of town on a rail!"

1. I’m a Pirate fan, so I’ve been living with this for 30 years
2. More importantly, ”It ain’t my job to pay the players”.
I agree--it's not your job and no one should feel obligation to do so or even be asked. Those that want to can.
I just lack faith it would be spent wisely.

I’m just one person but I’m a hardcore PSU fan and I don’t ever plan to donate to NIL because I just don’t agree with it. I’m totally fine with players getting paid for their image and likeness but it should be based on their actual commercial value and not just “pay to play” to go to a specific school. I think that is just fundamentally opposite the principles of college football.

I realize not being willing to put up NIL money makes me part of the “problem” for PSU competitiveness but I don’t care. I’d rather lose with principle than sell out. I actually appreciate that (seemingly) a large number of the PSU fan base does not seem to ascribe to a win at all costs philosophy that involves buying players. So be it.
I'm not an NIL expert, but my perspective is that it is an evolved consequence of the initial situation of a UCLA basketball player wanting to be compensated for his image on some brochure or sports-related product...getting his fair share.

It was intended to reimburse the players for their image being used in some standalone product or service that that already existed that made money.

Where I think the concept of the initial issue and resolution turned into chaos is where schools and alumni got involved to what amounts to legitimizing what has been done in the past, and hidden or controlled to some degree, namely funneling financial incentive to recruits to influence their decision.

That said, some things that work against Penn State beyond the 'persona' of their average alumni or fan, is that they, unlike Ohio Statue, Miami, USC, Texas/Texas A&M, is not geographically in a major metropolitan area (locality or region) ot even a state where they are the number one sports team...note that the Fleming car dealership spot posted on this site IS NOT for a business in Pittsburgh or Phiiladelphia.

On flip side of a school's reaction and strategy going forward, I'm in the middle. To share and event consolidate pieces of other posts on this thread, Penn State may want to 'compensate' a select number of recruits 'for what they are worth', but I would focus on player research' and development-Is a player who needs 2-3 years of training and coaching more likely to stay in he program? What would teams below Penn State's in reputation and resources do with Penn State's prospects and recruits? If the answer is much more (which I think is not rare), address that issue vs just opening up the pocket books-which BOB and Franklin seems to lean on.
Even not being a Jim Harbaugh fan, I think this approach to the portal (especially finding over-performing players in the FBS) is one most any program can emulate.

WVU is terrible. What was their best win? Everyone would own that if say Michigan beat them instead of us but because we beat them people are desperate to believe they're anything other than trash.
Lots of people are benefiting from it. How do you think we dont have money? Stop being naive.
You win the award for the most obtuse poster. The only trash is your continued idiotic attempt to defend your nonsensical claim that WVU is terrible, horrible, etc. You also originally claimed that Penn State had as much NIL money as everyone else but allegedly wasn’t spending it. Now you try to back and fill by saying that lots of people are benefiting from NIL money at Penn State. Thanks for that “insightful” observation Einstein.

Caleb Downs is an exception safety, he should be worth a lot of money on the open market, that he didn't create.
Downs is as fine a safety prospect as I've seen in good while.
You have to be pretty awesome to start at Bama from day one not to mention return their punts. You know how many great athletes they have to return punts, yet some true freshman shows up and takes the honors, while starting at safety.....Baller!
Whoever gets Downs for whatever price is probably getting more value than he is. Immediate 2 year starter all-american type.
Given the current system, what would you pay for immediate 2 year starter all-american caliber wide receiver to come to Penn State right now, like tomorrow?

Caleb Downs is an exception safety, he should be worth a lot of money on the open market, that he didn't create.
Downs is as fine a safety prospect as I've seen in good while.
You have to be pretty awesome to start at Bama from day one not to mention return their punts. You know how many great athletes they have to return punts, yet some true freshman shows up and takes the honors, while starting at safety.....Baller!
Whoever gets Downs for whatever price is probably getting more value than he is. Immediate 2 year starter all-american type.
Given the current system, what would you pay for immediate 2 year starter all-american caliber wide receiver to come to Penn State right now, like tomorrow?
Not what they want and so be it. It's a joke to even think these guys are students. I want to beat Ohio State as much as anyone but this is out of control.

Not what they want and so be it. It's a joke to even think these guys are students. I want to beat Ohio State as much as anyone but this is out of control.
The truth is always hardest to take. Penn State isn't as good as Ohio State because they aren't as committed to winning as Ohio State. It's really that simple. Ohio State is willing to take necessary allowable steps to be at the forefront of the sport. Adapt or be ok with being in second place.

And if we're being honest, many haven't been students for decades - at all of the major CF powers and anyone saying otherwise are just looking at the situation with their school blinders on

Me personally? I'd pay $0.
Would you like your tax accountant to get you every break allowable within the law, even if it means doing things that many would say are sketchy or a stretch, but perfectly legal within the system?
If you aren't willing to play the game that others are, should you expect James Franklin to have a better a record against teams that are?
College football programs used to just be able to simply rely their brand and sentiment, its bigger than that now, the margins are tighter, the competition greater.
Michigan State and Wisconsin have more Big 10 football championships that Penn State since the turn of the century.
Maybe Penn State should take another approach?

You win the award for the most obtuse poster. The only trash is your continued idiotic attempt to defend your nonsensical claim that WVU is terrible, horrible, etc. You also originally claimed that Penn State had as much NIL money as everyone else but allegedly wasn’t spending it. Now you try to back and fill by saying that lots of people are benefiting from NIL money at Penn State. Thanks for that “insightful” observation Einstein.
That is this clowns MO - say something that is 100% wrong and then get proven wrong and triple down on your stupid take or just flat out lie about what you originally said - it is fun to poke this goof but you do get bored of the sheer repetition of the idiotic responses - I didn't say that - yes you did - no I didn't. I am right you are wrong - no here are the facts that prove you are wrong - no the facts are wrong and I'm still right - too funny.

Reactions: pennstatepelly
WVU is awful. Not sure why you believe otherwise. Stop looking at only record.
Lots of people are...because it's not being spent how it should be. Can you clarify why you don't comprehend when money isn't spent somewhere someone else benefits from it?

Would you like your tax accountant to get you every break allowable within the law, even if it means doing things that many would say are sketchy or a stretch, but perfectly legal within the system?
If you aren't willing to play the game that others are, should you expect James Franklin to have a better a record against teams that are?
College football programs used to just be able to simply rely their brand and sentiment, its bigger than that now, the margins are tighter, the competition greater.
Michigan State and Wisconsin have more Big 10 football championships that Penn State since the turn of the century.
Maybe Penn State should take another approach?
You're barking up the wrong tree. I'm quite happy with Franklin and the job he is doing. Asking the public to pay a defacto salary, no matter what name anyone wants to call it, for kids that are already entitled, privileged and are receiving hundreds of thousands in free benefits, tuition and living expenses, just so they will play football for your favorite team is a ridiculous premise. Go ask some millionaire with money to waste or find some other fool that's ready to give money to a cause that doesn't even need it.

Reactions: doctornick
The truth is always hardest to take. Penn State isn't as good as Ohio State because they aren't as committed to winning as Ohio State. It's really that simple. Ohio State is willing to take necessary allowable steps to be at the forefront of the sport. Adapt or be ok with being in second place.
The allowable steps is simply to spend at will and uncontrollably on players to win at football. To hell with anything else. Clearly there are different strategies in place between the two schools and OSU will spend whatever it takes. You make it sound when you say "committed" like it is some kind of work ethic thing or honing your craft better than PSU does or something other than simply money. No, this is just about bring in bags full of cash and give it away to every high 4 star and 5 star player they can grovel to. Straight up buying a super team is what they are doing because their head coach is scared as hell he will lose his job if he doesn't beat Michigan. Obviously PSU will participate in NIL but not with an unlimited budget. I wonder where the OSU school prez is in all of this when the academic chairs start complaining about why they have given $20 million to various football players in the last 2 weeks. They probably don't know. The president probably doesn't either.

The allowable steps is simply to spend at will and uncontrollably on players to win at football. To hell with anything else. Clearly there are different strategies in place between the two schools and OSU will spend whatever it takes. You make it sound when you say "committed" like it is some kind of work ethic thing or honing your craft better than PSU does or something other than simply money. No, this is just about bring in bags full of cash and give it away to every high 4 star and 5 star player they can grovel to. Straight up buying a super team is what they are doing because their head coach is scared as hell he will lose his job if he doesn't beat Michigan. Obviously PSU will participate in NIL but not with an unlimited budget. I wonder where the OSU school prez is in all of this when the academic chairs start complaining about why they have given $20 million to various football players in the last 2 weeks. They probably don't know. The president probably doesn't either.
The school doesn’t “technically “ give the money. It’s the collectives if I’m not mistaken.

No way a PSU fan who almost never posts here started the thread saying Ohio St landed a big-time transfer to ask if is he good? This was an insecure buckeye fanboy all the way.
Your posts here reflect even more stupidity and insecurity than your posts on the Test Board. You think a highly rated Alabama DB transferring to OSU is somehow not worthy of notice on this Board?! Ohio State is a PSU rival, no?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT