ADVERTISEMENT

CA Governor Gavin Newsom threatens action against UCLA due to Big10 move.

• Haha
Reactions: scbob and DCRob
You should probably get your news and analysis from someplace other than your customary dik sources.

The state has a legitimate gripe, you dope.

UCLA is not going back, that we can agree on.
You should probably grow up and stop thinking your position is made stronger with immediate ad hominem attacks. Let me take an educated guess—you are a Democrat.

Newsome has much bigger issues to deal with. Stay out of college athletics. He’s a pretty boy moron who thinks his opinion matters. Only in Cali.
Yep...Gov Nuisance is a piece of work, no doubt

Reactions: blmr31
Why does every single thread on this site devolve into a political pissing match? Are your lives that devoid of joy and meaning?
I’m retired, the democratic policies of wealth redistribution have completely destroyed my retirement savings and-the taxes I pay provide every type of free stuff imaginable; yes, some of the joy is gone for the time being….
…not to mention when I retired I was earning $16/hour working 12 hour shifts…I live in a modest home (paid for) drive a 22 year old van and my 2 children’s college was paid for…no free money loan forgiveness. It can be done with hard work and a little personal sacrifice and self-reliant accountability. Entitlements multiply an entitled culture where individuals rely on everyone else but themselves.

Last edited:
I’m retired, the democratic policies of wealth redistribution have completely destroyed my retirement savings and-the taxes I pay provide every type of free stuff imaginable; yes, some of the joy is gone for the time being….
…not to mention when I retired I was earning $16/hour working 12 hour shifts…I live in a modest home (paid for) drive a 22 year old van and my 2 children’s college was paid for…no free money loan forgiveness. It can be done with hard work and a little personal sacrifice and self-reliant accountability. Entitlements multiply an entitled culture where individuals rely on everyone else but themselves.
I appreciate your reply, but it doesn’t answer the question. BTW, what specific democratic wealth redistribution policies are you referring to?

Reactions: tgar
Anyone else notice that the general pattern with liberal leaders is control. They want to control outcomes and it's going to come at someone's expense. This, their covid response, the economy, etc. They take specific measures to limit or take away freedoms to try to dictate their solution which almost always carries major unintended consequences.

Anyone else notice that the general pattern with liberal leaders is control. They want to control outcomes and it's going to come at someone's expense. This, their covid response, the economy, etc. They take specific measures to limit or take away freedoms to try to dictate their solution which almost always carries major unintended consequences.
This really isn’t about control as he knows he has no chance of winning. It is far more about free publicity, getting his face on tv, stroking his ego, placating some powerful constituents, and generating donations. In short, is it about his political ambitions.

And far right leaders want to rewrite history, tell a women what she can and can not do with her own body, refuse to seriously address important improvements in gun control, deny climate change, continue to support Trump's "big lie", and even want to meddle in what can be taught in school (term "involuntary relocation" suggested in Texas to replace "slavery"). I like to think that I'm reasonably objective --- both political parties are absolutely horrible and insultingly pathetic right now.

Reactions: Cold Smoke
Democratic governor trying to regulate college football. Given the opportunity, the dems would try to tax and regulate the proper way to wipe your a.. and Pelosi would be first in line to demonstrate the correct technique….
Sounds like you didn't read the article. For the record, I don't like Newsom and didn't vote for him. Here's what you should know:

The University of California has one Board of Regents and one president who cover all ten campuses, including UC Berkeley (also known as Cal). The campuses are run locally by a guy with the job title Chancellor. The Chancellor of UCLA (his name is Gene Block) reports directly to the university president (his name is Michael Drake). Unlike PSU where the PA governor is a nonvoting member, the Californa governor not only has a vote, he is the president of the Board of Regents. This particular governor also sits on the Governance Committee, which has perhaps the largest area of authority to act for the entire Board in between Board meetings on issues requring the entire board to act. The Lieutenant Governor and the Speaker of the Assembly (the larger of the two houses of the state legislature) are also ex officio regents.

He's also the president of the board of trustees (and a full voting member) of the California State University, which has 3 campuses with FBS teams, of which Fresno State is the most successful.

The short of it is the California governor has the most important individual position within the UC Board of Regents and oversees UCLA as well as Cal and some other D-1 FCS schools. While Newsom obviously has little to do with the UCLA on a daily basis, it's not really out of line for a governor (of either party) and the highest ranking regent to expect to learn about a move as important as this one by a public university he has oversight responsibilities for before it became public.

It was weak of him to air that complaint in public, though. Were I in his position I'd have Gene Block and Martin Jarmond (UCLA's AD) in my office for a little chat rather than speaking through the press.

Last edited:
And far right leaders want to rewrite history, tell a women what she can and can not do with her own body, refuse to seriously address important improvements in gun control, deny climate change, continue to support Trump's "big lie", and even want to meddle in what can be taught in school (term "involuntary relocation" suggested in Texas to replace "slavery"). I like to think that I'm reasonably objective --- both political parties are absolutely horrible and insultingly pathetic right now.
Perhaps both parties have warts. But one party has driven tens of millions of Americans into poverty this year alone, brought on record inflation, caused a recession, totally collapsed the stock market, has permitted record drug smuggling and human trafficking through our southern border and spiked violent crime and murder in our cities. Mean tweets are one thing but right now tens of millions can no longer feed their children and not just those that cannot find baby formula.

Like what? Can you please identify at least a couple by name? I’m not aware that there are so many unfair democratic wealth distribution policies.

"unfair"? The Dems believe that the current policy of the "rich" paying 90% of all federal tax receipts and that "poor" not only not paying any federal taxes, but getting "untaxed" by actually getting money back, a "refund" of taxes they didn't pay in the first place, is a "fair" policy. But the Dems still propagate the notion that the "rich" are currently not paying enough and therefore need to pay more so that they are paying their "fair share". As every American receives the same base benefits from the Federal government of defense, use of federal infrastructure, etc., shouldn't EVERY taxpayer have to at least actually pay some minimum tax in order to say that everyone is paying a "share", let alone a "fair share"?

Over taxing the rich and then taking some of those taxes and distributing that money to others that actually pay nothing is not an unfair democratic wealth distribution policy?

Federal tax receipts are at a record high even with the carry over of the negative impact of Covid on the economy - there is no tax receipt problem and the focus should be on cutting spending in any attempts to balance the Federal budget. Yet the Dems continue to propose more taxes which will further stifle the economy, especially small businesses, and cause job losses which will disproportionately impact middle and lower wage earners who the Dems claim to be wanting to help. They need to sign up for basic economic classes ASAP.

I won't respond again as if you had not seen this so that I had to describe it to you, I would be wasting more of my time. Cheers.

"unfair"? The Dems believe that the current policy of the "rich" paying 90% of all federal tax receipts and that "poor" not only not paying any federal taxes, but getting "untaxed" by actually getting money back, a "refund" of taxes they didn't pay in the first place, is a "fair" policy. But the Dems still propagate the notion that the "rich" are currently not paying enough and therefore need to pay more so that they are paying their "fair share". As every American receives the same base benefits from the Federal government of defense, use of federal infrastructure, etc., shouldn't EVERY taxpayer have to at least actually pay some minimum tax in order to say that everyone is paying a "share", let alone a "fair share"?

Over taxing the rich and then taking some of those taxes and distributing that money to others that actually pay nothing is not an unfair democratic wealth distribution policy?

Federal tax receipts are at a record high even with the carry over of the negative impact of Covid on the economy - there is no tax receipt problem and the focus should be on cutting spending in any attempts to balance the Federal budget. Yet the Dems continue to propose more taxes which will further stifle the economy, especially small businesses, and cause job losses which will disproportionately impact middle and lower wage earners who the Dems claim to be wanting to help. They need to sign up for basic economic classes ASAP.

I won't respond again as if you had not seen this so that I had to describe it to you, I would be wasting more of my time. Cheers.
Amen

Like what? Can you please identify at least a couple by name? I’m not aware that there are so many unfair democratic wealth distribution policies.
This is not the forum for a debate on economic policies and their impact. If you wish to engage on this issue visit the test page where numerous people will be more than happy to join said discussion. Otherwise, stop doing so on the sports board.

This is not the forum for a debate on economic policies and their impact. If you wish to engage on this issue visit the test page where numerous people will be more than happy to join said discussion. Otherwise, stop doing so on the sports board.
Agree…thread title included Gov Newsom…entire thread needs moved…admittedly I responded and added fuel to the fire…

Last edited:
Agree…thread title included Gov Newman…entire thread needs moved…admittedly I responded and added fuel to the fire…
Thread was proper when it was about discussing his legal actions against UCLA and or USC. But quickly went off the rails.....as many do.

Last edited:
Seriously? Literally every forum/thread here ends up as a debate on politics or economic policies, which was the point of my original post from a few days back. And for the record - I’m not the one who hijacked this particular thread 😇

Seriously? Literally every forum/thread here ends up as a debate on politics or economic policies, which was the point of my original post from a few days back. And for the record - I’m not the one who hijacked this particular thread 😇
You are correct…thread started re: a governor who is completely ignorant of what is happening in the organization he is leading….says something about his leadership…..reminds me of the teleprompter reader “leading” our country…
…thanks for the opportunity to continue the thread….

Reactions: sandiegohawk
Perhaps both parties have warts. But one party has driven tens of millions of Americans into poverty this year alone, brought on record inflation, caused a recession, totally collapsed the stock market, has permitted record drug smuggling and human trafficking through our southern border and spiked violent crime and murder in our cities. Mean tweets are one thing but right now tens of millions can no longer feed their children and not just those that cannot find baby formula.
I hear you. As we both acknowledge, both parties have warts. I prefer the Republican Party on the subject of economics, and I voted Republican for decades. I just can't stand TODAY'S Republican Party (or Democratic Party either).

I hear you. As we both acknowledge, both parties have warts. I prefer the Republican Party on the subject of economics, and I voted Republican for decades. I just can't stand TODAY'S Republican Party (or Democratic Party either).
The problem for those that feel like you do is that the alternative is actively hurting yourself and your family. Perhaps you are more insulated than the tens of millions pushed into poverty but the current policies are almost certainly still taking from you and your family.

I can't abstain when one set of policies is harming my family.

The problem for those that feel like you do is that the alternative is actively hurting yourself and your family. Perhaps you are more insulated than the tens of millions pushed into poverty but the current policies are almost certainly still taking from you and your family.

I can't abstain when one set of policies is harming my family.
Just curious, as you sound like a sensible guy. Would you support a third political party that consisted primarily the of moderate Republicans, Independents, and conservative and moderate Democrats. It would eliminate the excesses and crass stupidity of far right and the far left (both of which do not represent the views of most Americans) and could possibly lead to less acrimonious discussions among our elected representatives, God forbid, maybe they would even on occasion do the "right" thing --- not the "politically expedient" thing. They might even talk to each other :)

Last edited:
Just curious, as you sound like a sensible guy. Would you support a third political party that consisted primarily the of moderate Republicans, Independents, and conservative and moderate Democrats. It would eliminate the excesses and crass stupidity of far right and the far left (both of which do not represent the views of most Americans) and could possibly lead to less acrimonious discussions among our elected representatives, God forbid, maybe they would even on occasion do the "right" thing --- not the "politically expedient" thing. They might even talk to each other :)
If only such a thing could exist. The problem is that I'm a realist and the probability of what you describe being anything but a wasted vote is slim and none, and slim left a long time ago.

I'm registered independent but I can't see voting democrat again in my lifetime. Their every policy and agenda seems to undermine the foundation upon which the greatest nation in history was built. Some of their ideas seem almost intentional efforts to undo the America we know and love. It wasn't always that way. Not all that long ago democrat meant something entirely different.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT