ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling C/O 2025 Lightweight Nathan Desmond Commits to PSU

Askren coaching at WI would be bad news for the rest of the league.
I have an old friend who's wife was a Dean at Mizzou when Askren was there. He sent me some pictures of Askren interacting with his young son, including when he cut most of his hair off after nationals at the Barber shop. He told me that Askren truly was a nice kid away from wrestling.

Reactions: vhsalum and hlstone
Askren coaching at WI would be bad news for the rest of the league.
I think Ben has it made now with his clubs bringing in the money they do, and not having to do nearly the amount of work he’d have to do as a D1 head coach. Wisconsin high school wrestling is on the up&up and his clubs have a lot to do with it. I think there was a small window to get him to come on as a HC anywhere and it has passed. No inside info just my opinion.

I think Ben has it made now with his clubs bringing in the money they do, and not having to do nearly the amount of work he’d have to do as a D1 head coach. Wisconsin high school wrestling is on the up&up and his clubs have a lot to do with it. I think there was a small window to get him to come on as a HC anywhere and it has passed. No inside info just my opinion.
Ben seems to enjoy developing kids without all the BS that college coaches have to deal with.. Honestly other than maybe "prestige" he'd be taking a step backwards to be a head coach.

I have an old friend who's wife was a Dean at Mizzou when Askren was there. He sent me some pictures of Askren interacting with his young son, including when he cut most of his hair off after nationals at the Barber shop. He told me that Askren truly was a nice kid away from wrestling.
From what I gather from comments Ben has made, he and Cael have a great relationship. I can see why Ben rubs some people the wrong way but Ive always liked him. Hes opinionated, doesnt care if he offends people and just says what he thinks. I like that.

If Wisconsin fired bono, Ben would likely brake the job. He’s a pretty competitive dude and would love the challenge of chasing Carl.

Initially, he was willing to work with Bono, and he was the RTC coach. But bono being bono - a donkey is always an ass. It was a lot of things - bono lying about things, the way he treats people and the athletes. Askren definitely knows where the bodies are buried and could probably have bono fired if he wanted to.

But if askren became HC and you keep max at AWA? Oh my gosh would they be competitive quick.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT