ADVERTISEMENT

Burroughs drama/Willie wantin' some perspective

Status
Not open for further replies.
Keep this in mind… whether you like it or not … BJC was mostly full with College Wrestling fans. If there wasn’t a huge PSU connection in the event, BJC wouldn’t have been half full.

And JB hasn’t been relevant to College Wrestling fans for 15 years. CStar is relevant. Bo still is for most. So in addition to the PSU connection, most of the fans in the BJC don’t know JB as an awesome college wrestler, a DT like presence on the International stage. They don’t follow Freestyle. I am a massive College Wrestlong fan, have been for decades, but I honestly don’t know whose International bona fides are more impressive between Cox and JB and DT and Snyder and Dake and …. I wouldn’t bet a beer that I could rank them right. Let alone who was a great ambassador, who was an ass when the cameras are off, etc.

So yeah… some fans don’t know JB is a legend. And maybe a great guy. They know he picked a fight w CStar, CStar said he would end JBs career, Nolf said “hold my beer” and went out and probably did it. And yeah… he was gonna hear about it at the BJC and in any other arena in the world if he picked a fight with a hometown favorite.

Keep this in mind… whether you like it or not … BJC was mostly full with College Wrestling fans. If there wasn’t a huge PSU connection in the event, BJC wouldn’t have been half full.

And JB hasn’t been relevant to College Wrestling fans for 15 years. CStar is relevant. Bo still is for most. So in addition to the PSU connection, most of the fans in the BJC don’t know JB as an awesome college wrestler, a DT like presence on the International stage. They don’t follow Freestyle. I am a massive College Wrestlong fan, have been for decades, but I honestly don’t know whose International bona fides are more impressive between Cox and JB and DT and Snyder and Dake and …. I wouldn’t bet a beer that I could rank them right. Let alone who was a great ambassador, who was an ass when the cameras are off, etc.

So yeah… some fans don’t know JB is a legend. And maybe a great guy. They know he picked a fight w CStar, CStar said he would end JBs career, Nolf said “hold my beer” and went out and probably did it. And yeah… he was gonna hear about it at the BJC and in any other arena in the world if he picked a fight with a hometown favorite.
All this over a guy yelling he needs to retire. Not a racial epithet or misgendering or other stereotyping or similarly offensive behavior.

Unbelievable. I give Willie and Pyles credit. They certainly made A be about B.

Having slept on it, I’m back to my original thoughts of I’m just sick of every wrestling event becoming a referendum on proper booing etiquette. Fans boo. Everywhere. It’s not going to change. Quiet passionless fans don’t spend money on tickets. Get over it. Media: please report on the wrestling instead of the fans.

Lol. Okay I'll bite. What did you mean by thread of gold. I'll wait
What does is mean when someone says something is Gold?

"Gold is a highly-valued metal. We also use the word “gold” to describe a person or thing of extreme quality or value. For example, if a friend stood by you in very difficult times, you can say that your friendship is gold to you."

It means I like the thread. It's entertaining. Enjoyable reading. It makes me smile. That's it. Nothing more

There’s nothing wrong with holding to a higher standard. I just think there’s a line where you’re trying to hold to an impossible standard.

Look, don’t let Smalls be an illusionist here. If this were 99.9% of wrestlers, he doesn’t tweet a word and no one ever knows it happened. It’s his boy who’s coached by his boys. Again, I wouldn’t say that to a wrestler coming off. I also wouldn’t cover my kids ears.

The response to that is, “Well Burroughs is the goat you don’t treat him like the other 99.9%”. Ok. But my goodness, that’s an opinion, and that’s fine to hold to, but good luck threading that needle of making this anything but a niche sport.
A line that Willie has continually moved in the past36 hours. Where's the line now @smalls103 ?

“Be better” is a nice sentiment when addressing poor behavior. It’s also unrealistic (closer to impossible) to expect any large gathering of imperfect humans to collectively always BE that. Case in point, some might even say that painting many based on actions of a few is something a person might want to “be better” at not doing.

You are making wrestling look weak man

When top 5 generational nhl talent Sidney Crosby torches the flyers , rangers and islanders And those fans call him *ay , a crybaby Wussy Weak Does he say anything ? Do nhl greats from the past comment Hey be nice to him ?? Nope
They just go out and dominate

This makes the sport look like wussies all this complaining

This reminds me of a funny Crosby story: <link>

Dv_MCHbWoAEhiZj.0.jpg

I'm a bettin' man. I write options every week. I almost always win, because know how to read the tea leaves.

When the market's up and your stock is down, it's something to do with the stock?

Did <i>anybody</i> yell <i>at any other wrestler</i>?
I'd like to hear your opinion on NAK?

Sorry, but JB earned the boos he got with his actions on the mat yesterday. I don't care that he is a US Wrestling Legend and former Olympic Champ. He could have embodied those things and actually been better himself.

We were all treated to his trademark gamesmanship with his endless sock adjusting/stalling routine and juvenile acts trying to line up behind MM. He jawed throughout the majority of the match and he got physical after the action stopped on more than one occasion.

MM wrestles a physical style, therefore JB giving a few receipts during the live action would have been within his right. Instead JB came across as being too big time to have to wrestle MM, and he got called on it during the bout. The actions of a few drunk a**holes after the match, shouldn't color the rest of the crowd who acted appropriately for what was put out there by JB.

yeah. sure.

that's why i've been called 'penn state willie' for a decade.

that's why Tom Brands yelled at me because he knew 'i was on the psu payroll.

or maybe i'm just being impartial and calling it as i see it.
I think you would do well as their recruiter; however, would rather you be Penn State Willie😊

Reactions: Pitchfork Rebel
I'm having a hard time reconciling the disrespect the crowd gave Burroughs and the lengthy standing ovation Cox got when he left his shoes on the mat. Which is it? The respect to a great competitor, or the reaction to the disrespect of Penn State by a coach and his protege?

I'm having a hard time reconciling the disrespect the crowd gave Burroughs and the lengthy standing ovation Cox got when he left his shoes on the mat. Which is it? The respect to a great competitor, or the reaction to the disrespect of Penn State by a coach and his protege?
Don't confuse the points with facts available. Cox has never presented himself as an asshat and at the conclusion of his career as he struggled to leave the mat after leaving his shoes behind, all wrestling fans present (including PSU fans) stood and recognized his greatness as they applauded with great enthusiasm while he circled the floor to the exit tunnel.

Burroughs, who has been doing asshat and directed towards PSU wrestling legends for a month, and his actual lifelong asshat coach who just a month ago publicly labeled the PSU head coach a liar and cheat, and their annointed public apologist just need to play their drama queen roles because (paraphrasing Bo) that's what they do.

Don't confuse the points with facts available. Cox has never presented himself as an asshat and at the conclusion of his career as he struggled to leave the mat after leaving his shoes behind, all wrestling fans present (including PSU fans) stood and applauded with great enthusiasm that continued as he circled the floor to the exit tunnel.

Burroughs, who has been doing asshat and directed towards PSU wrestling legends for a month, and his actual lifelong asshat coach who just a month ago publicly labeled the PSU head coach a liar and cheat, and their annointed public apologist just need to play their drama queen roles because (paraphrasing Bo) that's what they do.
I thought that's what I said.

Words I generally didn't think I would write-- I agree with Willie 100%. Don't we hold ourselves to a little better standard? Shouldn't we? I was bummed by JB's head shove, I was bummed by the crowd after the Nolf loss. I became a Penn State fan because of the way the wrestlers wrestle and how they behave on the mat. all the JB/Fan stuff was a little cringy this weekend... I think we can all do better...
I agree as well however, I also understand unrealistic expectations and unless we all have gained the ability to walk on water then maybe we should just accept each other's humanness and the potential to be fallible and realize there will always and I mean always be a knucklehead in a crowd of people. The more people the more potential for additional knuckleheads

Reactions: jack66 and danoftw
What does is mean when someone says something is Gold?

"Gold is a highly-valued metal. We also use the word “gold” to describe a person or thing of extreme quality or value. For example, if a friend stood by you in very difficult times, you can say that your friendship is gold to you."

It means I like the thread. It's entertaining. Enjoyable reading. It makes me smile. That's it. Nothing more
Ok I will accept your faciciosnes but I know better lmfao. If you were a PSU fan I would accept what you said at face value but knowing your reputation I couldn't get past the sarcasm smell lol. It's okay I agree it's gold and lots of good information you could take back to board

Or the standing O that SL got. I thought we hated Spencer dammit. It's so confusing being a wrestling fan sometimes. Who am I supposed to hate today? Please someone give me clarity.

Again- it was ONE fan that yelled your career is ended! Out of the entire BJC- after a month of JB and Co. taking cheap shots at PSU. The fans didn’t start a We Hate- J B chant. Though, that would have made things interesting 😉
I'm just hoping that ONE fan didn't look like Jackie Gleason? I'd hate to be accused of something like that when I go to Rec next year.

JB was booed because he shoved Mitch's face into the mat hard, was Mitch innocent? No he was definitely being annoying with some after whistle antics. JB retaliated on another level (as retaliations often go), it wasn't a typical face mush, he slammed Mitch's head off the mat pretty hard. Our fans remember that and combined with the last few weeks, yeah they weren't going to be nice. It wasn't his last match, he was booed and of course people want to take a shot at our fans.

Burroughs didn't retire after the Nolf match (probably didn't want to go out at PSU) either. So spare me the "that was his last match" His pride will probably make him wrestle another event at 79. Loud fans always get their language picked up on cameras. It was a few fans (one very bad one) Bo Bassett even condemned the one guy on his way out instead of saying PSU fans as a whole.

J'Den Cox got a standing ovation ... but of course he did, notorious good guy J'Den Cox! But Spencer Lee ... most hated man in State College allegedly .... oh wait no he got applause also.

Another former PSU foe who got consistent cheers all weekend was Trent Hidlay. Even after he knocked off Carter in the second round, he was cheered by the crowd

Reactions: Pitchfork Rebel
I'll just say this and be done with the topic

You guys have an answer for everything
• JB started it
• I'm tight w/ Nebraska
• MM was an innocent bystander
• It happens in other sports

and the oft repeated but not remotely accurate
• it was just one guy and it was just this one day

with the exception that y'all are focusing your energy on my tweet (one in which i praised the staff and athletes and that is deleted now) this thread (which i didn't even make) is almost a mirror image to stuff on HR wherein, after an incident, they are in a silo of denial. The whole wrestling world feels one way except the fan base in question.

At the end of the day this is the situation

I feel the PSU crowd could be better. Not b/c this singular incident, but b/c things I've heard over the years. I feel the same about the Iowa crowd. And just because it happens in other sports, I wish that we would hold ourselves to a higher standard.

That's how i feel. I don't know what else to say other than thinking that I took an unwarranted or uninformed shot at the flagship school in my home state was out of some sort of bias is just crazy talk.

• JB started it
• I'm tight w/ Nebraska

with the exception that y'all are focusing your energy on my tweet (one in which i praised the staff and athletes and that is deleted now) this thread (which i didn't even make) is almost a mirror image to stuff on HR wherein, after an incident, they are in a silo of denial. The whole wrestling world feels one way except the fan base in question.

I feel the PSU crowd could be better. Not b/c this singular incident, but b/c things I've heard over the years. I feel the same about the Iowa crowd. And just because it happens in other sports, I wish that we would hold ourselves to a higher standard.

That's how i feel. I don't know what else to say other than thinking that I took an unwarranted or uninformed shot at the flagship school in my home state was out of some sort of bias is just crazy talk.
I think if you had said “some PSU fans” rather than “PSU fans” it may have been viewed differently. Can we agree on that? You were overly broad in your criticism, and just because you hear bad things on occasion doesn’t mean the general fanbase agrees or approves of these comments.

He was attention whoring and shit talking for online clicks and traffic. WTF is wrong with these wrestling online pundits? Are they all clowns?

Reactions: doubleboots

• JB started it
• I'm tight w/ Nebraska

I didn't see your original post that got deleted. You keep saying that it's not the one incident but a combination of events over the years that you're bringing to light.
Let's talk about the event at the trials specifically. What part do you have issue with. The booing or the guy that yelled "your career is over"? Or was there other things that happened that most are unaware of?

Last edited:
Reactions: PSUer1989

• JB started it
• I'm tight w/ Nebraska

I'll say this, and maybe be done with this.

1. You are a 24/7 JB and MM apologist which would be fine. Except your freaking need to then lecture PSU fans.

2. JB has been playing the part of an asshat without ever deciding to be the guy who takes the high road. JB simply put, invited the response he received. Then acted the role of the victim. Please, grow up. Try lecturing your friend JB about his behavior. Best of luck giving that lecture and maintaining that friendship. The ego and childlike behavior JB exhibits tells me the friendship you think exists would disappear in a "how dare you question me" second. Never to be repairable simply because of his ego.

3. In all the BS between the Neb/JB circle and PSU make believe drama during the past month or so, something I have noticed and causes me to go hmmm. Twice you have felt it appropriate to attack then lecture the PSU fanbase and specifically this board's members. Once after your buddy, asshat extraordinaire Mark Manning, accused Cael Sanderson of cheating and being a liar. Then again, one match immediately after the asshat felt it appropriate to blow kisses to the fans as he was leaving the arena at the conclusion of a highly emotional match. Just wondering dude, have you had the balls or even felt it necessary to tell asshat (Mark Manning) himself to try and do better.
Tell you what, call Manning's bullshyt childlike behavior out on one of your podcasts with a strong demand that "Coach Manning do better with his public behavior" then I won't tell you to shut the freak up when you want to lecture PSU fans. Until then, shut up smalls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT