ADVERTISEMENT

Buccos' 6 man rotation

bjf1984

Sep 8, 2014
Hurdle has gone with a 6 man rotation last few turns....and moved back Cole and Liriano at different times to get even more rest. Fine....makes sense to me.

But now, the way the current 6 man rotation shakes out......it would have the Buccos starting NEITHER Cole nor Liriano in the three game set against the Cardinals.
It would also have Cole and Liriano BOTH working during the season ending series with the Reds.....which means NEITHER would be available for a possible WC game.

Is Hurdle aware? (I mean, he would HAVE TO BE.....right?)

If Hurdle skips Locke the next two starts (going with the normal 5 man rotation)....he would have BOTH Cole and Liriano available for St L (in the off chance that that series could decide the division)......AND have either one fully rested for a potential WC game.

Will he skip Locke's next two starts.....or - accomplishing the same goal - skip Locke once and another guy (Morton?) once?

Something worth watching for Bucco fans.
If Locke DOES go out there on the bump on Thursday against Colorado.....I am afraid that is a brain dead move by Clint.....which could prove fatal.

Reactions: fairgambit
Hurdle knows he can't catch the Cards so it doesn't matter who starts against them. Neither Cole nor Liriano will pitch against the Reds at the end of the season. Look for somebody like Worley to pitch. The wildcard race will be decided by then. Hurdle wants Cole for the wildcard game and Liriano for the first playoff game in St Louis in the very unlikely event that the Pirates win the wildcard game.

Hurdle has gone with a 6 man rotation last few turns....and moved back Cole and Liriano at different times to get even more rest. Fine....makes sense to me.

But now, the way the current 6 man rotation shakes out......it would have the Buccos starting NEITHER Cole nor Liriano in the three game set against the Cardinals.
It would also have Cole and Liriano BOTH working during the season ending series with the Reds.....which means NEITHER would be available for a possible WC game.

If Hurdle skips Locke the next two starts (going with the normal 5 man rotation)....he would have BOTH Cole and Liriano available for St L (in the off chance that that series could decide the division)......AND have either one fully rested for a potential WC game.

Will he skip Locke's next two starts.....or - accomplishing the same goal - skip Locke once and another guy (Morton?) once?

If Locke DOES go out there on the bump on Thursday against Colorado.....I am afraid that is a brain dead move by Clint.....which could prove fatal.
Every time Locke pitches, I think about becoming a Cardinal fan and I despise the Cardinals.

He's definitely aware. I think it was already stated by both clubs that Cole and Arietta would be the wc starters. How he gets there I don't know. But Cole will be starting the wc game. They have to be within 2 or 3 for the cards series for those three games to mean anything. Gotta sweep colorado and take 2 of 3 from the cubs to get there I think.

Reactions: fairgambit
Hurdle knows he can't catch the Cards so it doesn't matter who starts against them. Neither Cole nor Liriano will pitch against the Reds at the end of the season. Look for somebody like Worley to pitch. The wildcard race will be decided by then. Hurdle wants Cole for the wildcard game and Liriano for the first playoff game in St Louis in the very unlikely event that the Pirates win the wildcard game.

Hey LemonEars. Come here for a minute.

old_man_with_cane.gif

He's definitely aware. I think it was already stated by both clubs that Cole and Arietta would be the wc starters. How he gets there I don't know. But Cole will be starting the wc game. They have to be within 2 or 3 for the cards series for those three games to mean anything. Gotta sweep colorado and take 2 of 3 from the cubs to get there I think.
The Cardinals series will mean something for the Cardinals. At its end, it will mean they are no longer in 1st place.:)

Last edited:

For the Cardinals series to have any meaning, I believe the Pirates have to at least win at least 2 out of 3 remaining games (preferably 3 out of 3) against Colorado and at least 2 out of 3 against the Cubs. The Cubs are the bigger challenge IMO. The 6 remaining games against the Cubs and Cardinals are not going to be easy no matter who is pitching. That being said, I would much rather Cole and Liriano be the starting pitchers in as many of those games as possible and have Locke or Morton skip a start.

The Cardinals series will mean something for the Cardinals. At its end, it will mean they are no longer in 1st place.:)

I hope your are right. I'm a diehard Pirates fan. I'm just pessimistic. Since the Cards will be without Molina I think the Pirates now have a better chance to catch them. Locke and Morton will have to be decent in their next two starts and somebody will have to get hot at the plate. Maybe Cutch. They need to win 3 of 4 against the Rockies and 2 of 3 at Wrigley to have a chance in my opinion.

Hurdle and Huntington have already stated they don't plan on using a six man rotation. Just getting guys rest and lining them up for the playoffs.

For the Cardinals series to have any meaning, I believe the Pirates have to at least win at least 2 out of 3 remaining games (preferably 3 out of 3) against Colorado and at least 2 out of 3 against the Cubs. The Cubs are the bigger challenge IMO. The 6 remaining games against the Cubs and Cardinals are not going to be easy no matter who is pitching. That being said, I would much rather Cole and Liriano be the starting pitchers in as many of those games as possible and have Locke or Morton skip a start.
But....the important question is:

Are you gonna' hook me and the boys up with some tickets for the Tuesday night game against St L???

:)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT