ADVERTISEMENT

BTN right now

1987 ND/PSU Anyone remember? Anyone there? I was...20 degrees with a windchill of -8. Add in that I had about 10 beers it probablywas -25! Blair Thomas was terrific.
I was there. They showed shots of me and my friend sitting in a near empty student section during the live broadcast.

Reactions: PSUeng and brupsu
That was a year before I got to Penn State, but as a freshman in the Blue Band in 1988, I heard many stories about that game. Not a great day to be in a marching band. I had similar experiences in high school and at Penn State.

I was 13 years old with some buddies sitting right behind the PSU bench and trying to get our hometown hero Gary Brown’s attention. In the 3rd quarter, I spilled hot chocolate on my jacket and it froze three downs later. Lots of flurries after halftime and you could barely see anything on the other side of the stadium outside of the orange hunting suits folks were wearing to keep warm. What a game!

1987 ND/PSU Anyone remember? Anyone there? I was...20 degrees with a windchill of -8. Add in that I had about 10 beers it probablywas -25! Blair Thomas was terrific.
Don't tell me how it ends. I'm recording it. ;)

I smuggled a can of beer and set it at my feet. Popped it open at halftime and found it had turned into beer slush.

I was there. They showed shots of me and my friend sitting in a near empty student section during the live broadcast.
I was there. Coldest game I can remember ranking up there with the Snow Bowl and the 1968 Syracuse game. I was sitting in Section EG and my friend was sitting around EC and a guy in front of him had a heart attack and died before halftime. Later it was reported that he was a former player up there to visit his daughter for the weekend. Sad.

Yep, was there. The coldest “hot” chocolate I’ve ever bought or consumed.

Had no problem keeping my Creamery ice cream cold on the Sunday drive back home to Chicagoland.

If you were one of the 30 dead center near the top you would likely know me. At the beginning there were lots of people. Us from Moosehouse had some blankets and spiced rum and about thirty of us made it thru the game. I still laugh at Tim Brown tripping on the 5 yard line when he could have scored. I think they had to settle for a field goal.

Reactions: dicoh
If you were one of the 30 dead center near the top you would likely know me. At the beginning there were lots of people. Us from Moosehouse had some blankets and spiced rum and about thirty of us made it thru the game. I still laugh at Tim Brown tripping on the 5 yard line when he could have scored. I think they had to settle for a field goal.
If memory serves, we were lower, closer to the field. I didn't watch the replay though. There were just 2 of us left at the times we were on.

I was there, my junior year. Buddy of mine and I drank much of a bottle of jack daniel’s for breakfast and then headed up to the game. Couldn’t feel my face, but stayed through the whole awesome game.

Blair was an excellent RB for us.
It was a fun game to rewatch and the first time I've ever seen that replay on BTN.
I thought the refs were pretty funny. They look like Ompa Loompas and they were incredibly animated.
They would rush out to show a first down or if it was TD or FG like they do in Soccer in Europe. LOL.

Reactions: Connorpozlee
Blair was an excellent RB for us.
It was a fun game to rewatch and the first time I've ever seen that replay on BTN.
I thought the refs were pretty funny. They look like Ompa Loompas and they were incredibly animated.
They would rush out to show a first down or if it was TD or FG like they do in Soccer in Europe. LOL.
Thomas is somewhat under p-appreciated, I think. He was phenomenal. Though on one of the last Penn State drives of this game he missed his blitz pickup terribly, twice. I could almost hear Joe yelling, “Get him outta there!”.

Reactions: BBrown
Was a sophomore at Villanova that fall. Went up to Happy Valley that weekend to go the game with buddies from high school who were PSU students living in East Halls. That weekend I realized the coldest place on the planet are the East Halls parking lot on a cold, windy winter night. Was near top of student section at start f game, by the end of the 3rd qtr we were about 10 rows off field since so many students left at halftime. We gutted it out until the very end. But damn, it was cold that day. That snow squall rolled thru in 3rd qtr and it got even colder. Coldest I have ever been at a football game. 2nd coldest was PSU vs. ND in 1985. 35 degrees and freezing rain, that was a rough one too.

Was there. Sipped wild turkey and coffee/hot chocolate the whole game with several friends. Coldest Penn State game I was ever at in 47 years of going to games.

I was there and froze my ass off Only Wisky overtime game was as cold but beating the irish was worth it Ant time beating a delany team is worth it

I was there. Oddly I took a woman who was a big ND fan who grew up in Elkhart, IN near ND. Her father was a former drum major there. She was a buyer for American Eagle and my wife was a rep who called on her. She was quite important to our family income as my wife was straight commission and they did a lot of business at the time. We had two daughters, one and three so between the cold, breast feeding, the 3 hour drive each way and me being an alumnus I did the honor. We had seats on the east side maybe 15 rows up and around the 10 yard line near the N end zone. I’ve been to some cold PSU and Steelers games but nothing compares to that game. The wind never seemed to stop. Then to top it off the drive back on 22 was brutal. Thankfully we won.

A little late to the discussion, but I was there, too. My cousin, an ND grad, married a PSU girl from St College. Her parents played host to 4 of my cousins, me and 2 of my brothers. they were super nice and the spread they put out after the game was greatly appreciated.

Coldest I have ever been in my life. The snow squall that blew through felt like razor blades on your face. Very physical game, IIRC. Joe had ND's number

I was also present. It was very simple. If we win, it's not bad. We beat the Irish. Post game the Gaff felt like 90 degrees.

Cold as all hell. Unfortunately I was far too young to drink!

Student section. The game kept your mind off the cold. Halftime was a b!tch.

Yeah--the gate guard got my flask of scotch. :-( That was also when you could go out at halftime, and we spent it in my car warming up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT