ADVERTISEMENT

BTN Final Drive apologetic for Iowa loss

YGM made himself known last night, but Shaka was on radio-silence... guys still flailing and flinging themselves at ballcarriers instead of making tackles.... OL played okay but MS24 largely neutralized
At the moment, Shaka is a one trick poney whose one trick works against inferior OTs when the offense is one dimensional. He gets manhandled most of the time. Unless he adds another 20 lbs he will continue to be a one dimensional player. It was his choice to be a DE but as of now his best position may have been LB.

Reactions: RU31trap and Ski
There’s been some pretty reasonable explanations in other threads on this board. I didn’t think it was difficult to figure out. They were rushing to get the snap off and it’s probably not a good thing to rush a FG from that distance. If Pinegar would have missed it and CJF had not taken the timeout, he would have been crucified for not using a time out to let them get better set.
Yeah.....just ask Urban about taking time outs before kicks

Reactions: odshowtime
YGM made himself known last night, but Shaka was on radio-silence... guys still flailing and flinging themselves at ballcarriers instead of making tackles.... OL played okay but MS24 largely neutralized
Still a ways to go, but there are aspects getting better. That’s my only point. Certainly not a finished product, but teams rarely are game by game.

Reactions: psu2016
Who said that PSU was going to get manhandled by Iowa's OL? Iowa is 10th in the conference in rushing offense. Almost everybody said that Iowa has to rely on passes to their TEs.

I'm not sure that PSU controlled Iowa's DL. PSU had 118 rushing yards with nearly half of them coming on McSorley's 51 yard TD run.

I think PSU is improving in some areas. Reid is getting better. Big game for Pinegar. Freirmuth and Matos continue to impress. Some nice contributions from Dotson & Brooks in limited action. But there's still a long way to go.
I didn’t say PSU controlled Iowa’s DLine...I said Iowa’s DLine didn’t control PSU’s OLine like I read all week would happen.

Reactions: Howie'81
From being at the game, Iowa has absolutely nothing at WR. App. State had much better talent at the skilled positions. For Iowa fans to think they have(had) an "obvious playoff contender" is insane. That team has a couple of nice TEs but nothing that scares you.

Iowa lack of explosive offensive players always holds them back. They are always well coached but lack explosion.

For Iowa fans who think only loss because of qb playing terrible is bs. mcsorley was also terrible throwing the ball. Might been one of his worse games passing I ever seen.

"Yeah, PSU flubbed as well, but from an Iowa fan's perspective; I can see their point.". Ummm, not for nuth'in, but PSU threw a really bad Pick-6 on their very next possession! Both teams had 2 turnovers that were hugely costly (both effectively had one for a Pick-6 Defensive TD and one which turned the ball over at their opponents 5 yard line on the doorstep of the goal-line). How Iowa's were clearly "worse" only you know. But let me guess, PSU essentially gift wrapping and spotting Iowa 11 special teams points...and PSU overcoming this huge deficit, says nothing in this debate as to who "gave" the other team more points in terms of beating themselves???
Penn States turnover was far worse because it would have put the team up by 14 pts

If your observations tell you that this team is getting better, then your living room must smell like model airplane glue
A bit harsh, MM2. I think there are certainly individuals getting better, Reid looks to be returning to form, Parsons, Matos, Brown. The defense is improving. They were down 12-0 early and didn’t quit. I see that a lot of criticism of ST coaching was prevalent here yesterday but they don’t coach players to drop punt snaps and snap over the punter’s head.
I think expectations were simply too high this year. The loss of production on both O and D plus breaking in a new OC was a lot to overcome. But the season isn’t over.

Not so much Chuck Long or the other guy but the guy on the left. He focused on three plays where Iowa had the chance to "put Penn State away." No mention of Trace's bad exchange with Sanders which took away a TD. It was an excuse fest for Iowa.

So that evening I'm out at a restaurant-bar. I overhear two Iowa fans talking to a guy wearing a Meatchicken hat. They said "Iowa beat themselves." We will never be welcomed in this God-foresaken conference. Win it again and get out.

IMHO we can salvage the season by beating Meat in The Outhouse.

Have a blessed Sabbath.

It doesn’t matter anymore. We won. Can’t spell Mediocre for 50 years without an M. Our guys are resilient. Should be fun Saturday night.

PSU had many more unforced mistakes, with the 2 safeties and the fumble. Throw in Trace getting banged up and if Iowa was the better team then they really failed to show it. Not to mention there were 2 or 3 Iowa fumbles that they recovered despite multiple PSU guys being around the ball. The main unforced error by Iowa was the missed 4th down play action. But overall, once PSU righted the ship they were definitely the better team.

Reactions: Howie'81
I don't like icing your own kicker either, but the play clock was at 1 and the coaches did not think they would get the snap off and did not want to get a 5 yard penalty. That is my guess.
The whistle blew at 3 seconds, so Franklin asked for it at 4 or 5. There is video.

Reactions: LoyalandTrueLion
At the moment, Shaka is a one trick poney whose one trick works against inferior OTs when the offense is one dimensional. He gets manhandled most of the time. Unless he adds another 20 lbs he will continue to be a one dimensional player. It was his choice to be a DE but as of now his best position may have been LB.
Was it Toney's decision to stay at DE? Or was it the staff?

PSU needs LBs and I have always been surprised that Toney wasn't moved there a year ago.

Not so much Chuck Long or the other guy but the guy on the left. He focused on three plays where Iowa had the chance to "put Penn State away." No mention of Trace's bad exchange with Sanders which took away a TD. It was an excuse fest for Iowa.

So that evening I'm out at a restaurant-bar. I overhear two Iowa fans talking to a guy wearing a Meatchicken hat. They said "Iowa beat themselves." We will never be welcomed in this God-foresaken conference. Win it again and get out.

Have a blessed Sabbath.

All I know for sure is we beat Iowa five in a row. The problem is tOSU, Michigan and MSU. Franklin has 3 total wins in five years against these three. We lose to Michigan this week and Franklin's record vs the BIG Three in the East will be 3-12.

Reactions: bdgan

Have a blessed Sabbath.
Cause by beating Iowa, PSU just ruined one half of the B1G brackets. The West could be rep’d by an unranked team in the championship game. Now this week they can dump on the other half. The B1G could be in jeopardy of missing the Playoffs two years in a row.

Reactions: 91Joe95
Cause by beating Iowa, PSU just ruined one half of the B1G brackets. The West could be rep’d by an unranked team in the championship game. Now this week they can dump on the other half. The B1G could be in jeopardy of missing the Playoffs two years in a row.
They were basically out when Ohio State shit the bed at Purdue. Michigan theoretically could have run the table and gotten a spot, but nobody outside of Ann Arbor believes that will happen.

Was it Toney's decision to stay at DE? Or was it the staff?

PSU needs LBs and I have always been surprised that Toney wasn't moved there a year ago.
Everything that i have read has led me to believe it's been Shaka's decision. If he wanted to move to LB last spring would have been the best time to make the move.

They were basically out when Ohio State shit the bed at Purdue. Michigan theoretically could have run the table and gotten a spot, but nobody outside of Ann Arbor believes that will happen.

The BIG’s only hope to make the playoffs is what mgkpsu said: Michigan has to win out. Clemson is unlikely to lose. Bama is also unlikely to lose. LSU plays Bama this Saturday, which will probably be their first loss. ND most likely isn’t going to lose given who they have left to play and no championship game. So Michigan has no margin for error - none. And even then Oklahoma plays no one ranked until their final game at WVU, and then they’ll have the Big 12 Championship Game. If Michigan looks bad in any of their games (even if they win) and Oklahoma wins big (and they have been winning big), I could see Oklahoma making it and Michigan being left out, especially if WVU is ranked in the top ten when they play.

The BIG’s only hope to make the playoffs is what mgkpsu said: Michigan has to win out. Clemson is unlikely to lose. Bama is also unlikely to lose. LSU plays Bama this Saturday, which will probably be their first loss. ND most likely isn’t going to lose given who they have left to play and no championship game. So Michigan has no margin for error - none. And even then Oklahoma plays no one ranked until their final game at WVU, and then they’ll have the Big 12 Championship Game. If Michigan looks bad in any of their games (even if they win) and Oklahoma wins big (and they have been winning big), I could see Oklahoma making it and Michigan being left out, especially if WVU is ranked in the top ten when they play.
If OSU wins out, they’re in. LSU already has a loss so after Bama they will have two and be gone. So even if ND wins out, OSU will take the fourth spot over Oklahoma especially with a win over Michigan.

I think either Michigan or OSU get in if they win out. Alabama has to play Auburn, LSU, and probably Georgia so they don't have an easy path. I don't see a 1 loss Oklahoma team getting in ahead of a 1 loss BiG team based on the comparative strength of the two conferences. I also don't see a second place SEC team getting in ahead of a 1 loss BiG champion. Of course none of this matters if neither of those teams win out.

I think either Michigan or OSU get in if they win out. Alabama has to play Auburn, LSU, and probably Georgia so they don't have an easy path. I don't see a 1 loss Oklahoma team getting in ahead of a 1 loss BiG team based on the comparative strength of the two conferences. I also don't see a second place SEC team getting in ahead of a 1 loss BiG champion. Of course none of this matters if neither of those teams win out.
That Purdue loss was BAD, especially if they keep losing like this past weekend. OK did not get blown out. I'm personally a big Northwestern fan this weekend, because ND is the most fraudulent team in the discussion at this moment.

I don’t see it. If Oklahoma beats a top ten WVU and then a top ten Texas in the Big 12 CG, I think the committee would put them in over the BIG champion because the opponent from the West is liable to be unranked or ranked pretty low.

Reactions: ILLINOISLION

Have a blessed Sabbath.
Dave Resvine

Have a blessed Sabbath.
Thirst things even out except in the cases of OSU and Mich.

Reactions: odshowtime
I've never understood the idea of a team "beating themselves"... Isn't it possible that the other team caused the issues that a team may have. I mean, did Iowa's offense even score any points for them????

How can a person say that they beat themselves when the offense couldn't put up any points?!! For real...

I don't like icing your own kicker either, but the play clock was at 1 and the coaches did not think they would get the snap off and did not want to get a 5 yard penalty. That is my guess.
.... And the next time'icing' works, let me know. Kickers live for those moments. I recall uve von shromme conducting the home teams chants of block that kick during a big time kick when I was a kid.

Reactions: stormingnorm
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT