ADVERTISEMENT

BTN Final Drive apologetic for Iowa loss

I think either Michigan or OSU get in if they win out. Alabama has to play Auburn, LSU, and probably Georgia so they don't have an easy path. I don't see a 1 loss Oklahoma team getting in ahead of a 1 loss BiG team based on the comparative strength of the two conferences. I also don't see a second place SEC team getting in ahead of a 1 loss BiG champion. Of course none of this matters if neither of those teams win out.
Alabama can always follow last year's model and tank the Auburn game to get the bye during championship week.

Reactions: PSUFBFAN
So they beat a one loss ranked team in a tough battle in horrible conditions yet they don’t seem to be getting better. Got it.

Well...continued penalties, drops, missed tackles, struggles on the OL, and poor execution in general would seem to back up his point.
IMHO opinion
-PSU is not great this year
-OSU is(maybe was) way overrated

Perhaps the B1G just isn't that strong this year.

Reactions: bdgan
Well...continued penalties, drops, missed tackles, struggles on the OL, and poor execution in general would seem to back up his point.
IMHO opinion
-PSU is not great this year
-OSU is(maybe was) way overrated

Perhaps the B1G just isn't that strong this year.
Outside of Bama, no one is great this year.

I think the defense is getting better overall. This team as a whole has yet to play a complete game.
If the defense is getting better, why don't we do what every other college team does and put them out first when we win the coin toss?

If the defense is getting better, why don't we do what every other college team does and put them out first when we win the coin toss?
I don't think too many teams choose to send their defense out first when they win the toss. Most defer to the second half and the other team typically chooses to take the ball to begin the game. Opting for defense if you win the toss is gifting your opponent an extra possession.

Reactions: BBrown

a couple of things. "Every other college team" does not do that and we did defer against either OSU or MSU.

IMO that's not Franklin's style, game day or recruiting. Joe's recruiting focused on LBs and linemen. Franklin's recruiting focuses more on skill positions. Of course Franklin wants a great defense, it's just not the primary focus. Besides, the offense is ranked #2 in the conference. The defense is ranked #8. I think Franklin wants his best unit out there first and hopes to get ahead of their opponents and out of their game plan. Unfortunately that strategy didn not work out on Saturday.

That's just fans period. You tend to see your own team's failures, you don't see that your failures were caused by the other team.

If Iowa had won we'd all be saying PSU beat themselves -- and have plenty of justification to do it. Fumble the ball when you're about to go up 17 points and put the game away, then a few minutes later throw a pick six to tie the game, that's nothing if not beating yourself.

Well, Iowa threw a really dumb interception at the goal line at the end. So that's what people focus on. They probably would have won the game except for that INT. But they also lost because the PSU D played really well.

Not so much Chuck Long or the other guy but the guy on the left. He focused on three plays where Iowa had the chance to "put Penn State away." No mention of Trace's bad exchange with Sanders which took away a TD. It was an excuse fest for Iowa.

So that evening I'm out at a restaurant-bar. I overhear two Iowa fans talking to a guy wearing a Meatchicken hat. They said "Iowa beat themselves." We will never be welcomed in this God-foresaken conference. Win it again and get out.

Which was - obviously :) - the right thing to do.

The “critiques” on this board get more “r word” :) every week........ and that is an astounding feat.

Bless your heart.
How is that Board of Trustees candidacy going?

I've never understood the idea of a team "beating themselves"... Isn't it possible that the other team caused the issues that a team may have. I mean, did Iowa's offense even score any points for them????

How can a person say that they beat themselves when the offense couldn't put up any points?!! For real...

Iowa scored six offensive points yet they “beat themselves”. They got 4 points off of unforced safeties, 14 points - one D TD and one fake field goal TD - and then two field goals that they actually drove the field a bit to get. That’s it.

Not so much Chuck Long or the other guy but the guy on the left. He focused on three plays where Iowa had the chance to "put Penn State away." No mention of Trace's bad exchange with Sanders which took away a TD. It was an excuse fest for Iowa.

So that evening I'm out at a restaurant-bar. I overhear two Iowa fans talking to a guy wearing a Meatchicken hat. They said "Iowa beat themselves." We will never be welcomed in this God-foresaken conference. Win it again and get out.

IMHO we can salvage the season by beating Meat in The Outhouse.

Have a blessed Sabbath.

I watched it too. I agreed with him 100% on all three points. How the heck could you not???

The stadium and the team were both flat as a pancake in the first half. Iowa handed us that game on a silver platter.

All I know for sure is we beat Iowa five in a row. The problem is tOSU, Michigan and MSU. Franklin has 3 total wins in five years against these three. We lose to Michigan this week and Franklin's record vs the BIG Three in the East will be 3-12.
Please throw out '14 and '15 if you want to be fair with stats like this.

Reactions: mcruny42
Iowa was gifted enough points that they should have won. Iowa didn't beat Iowa. It was more like Penn State tried to beat Penn State but Iowa wouldn't let them
Now Iowa fans know what it felt like for us in the 6-4 game.
no they don’t. And won’t.

That was just a taste. That 6-4 game was far far worse. They gave us the second safety because they knew we couldn’t score—even a field goal.

The offense is not getting any better, so it is reasonable to say Iowa would have probably won if they went up 31-30.

Before Trace's fumble, there was a play where #84 was wide open in the endzone. I have to believe that Trace saw him. Is #84 really at a point where defenses just let him go and the QB won't throw to him except as a last resort? I think getting him into the game is the key to turning around the offense.

Trace was really really bad at the end of the game. Fortunately for him our defense bailed us out again.

LdN

Outside of Bama, no one is great this year.

no argument there.
I think everyone thought PSU was better and after the close game against OSU, the thinking was that "no one would beat OSU in the B1G."
Now, both look downright unimpressive in the grand scheme of things. OSU's offense is one-dimensional and average without a running QB. PSU is average at the OL, LB, WR, tackling.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT