ADVERTISEMENT

Brooks / Hidlay scoring sequence

Brian LB-U

May 29, 2001
Did anybody else find Aaron’s takedown at 4:38 interesting? I was like “Woah, how did that just happen?”

Did anybody else find Aaron’s takedown at 4:38 interesting? I was like “Woah, how did that just happen?”

It was a reversal, but to me it looked like Hidlay was trying to take him off the mat, lost balance, was dragging behind and Aaron was able to use that lapse and momentum to turn in and Hidlay fell under him.

Reactions: Brian LB-U
Since it's come up in the rule changes thread, there's no better example than this match to award 3 for a reversal, because with Hidlay's escape, it was merely as if Brooks had escaped and not reversed. I'm on the fence about whether a TD should be 2, but a reversal should definitely be 3, because it's effectively combining an E1 and TD2--it puts you in the same place. You shouldn't be penalized for efficiently collapsing those steps.

It was a reversal, but to me it looked like Hidlay was trying to take him off the mat, lost balance, was dragging behind and Aaron was able to use that lapse and momentum to turn in and Hidlay fell under him.
Hidlay slipped in a far half when Aaron stood.

As we saw, this is a very bad idea on feet against good wrestlers. Once Aaron cleared the LH thigh pry, there was nothing to stop him from turning into the half and taking Hidlay to his back.

Hidlay got away with a mistake there -- he easily could've given up NF4 or possibly gotten pinned.

Hidlay slipped in a far half when Aaron stood.

As we saw, this is a very bad idea on feet against good wrestlers. Once Aaron cleared the LH thigh pry, there was nothing to stop him from turning into the half and taking Hidlay to his back.

Hidlay got away with a mistake there -- he easily could've given up NF4 or possibly gotten pinned.
I remember In college trying for that inside thigh pry on my girlfriend and that was also a bad idea as I not only lost that match but ended up suspended for a month.

...as a follow up, apparently both Hidlays have announced they are staying for another year to take down “Penn State’s machine” of Starocci and Brooks... :(

• Haha
Reactions: Hoosier Lion
Since it's come up in the rule changes thread, there's no better example than this match to award 3 for a reversal, because with Hidlay's escape, it was merely as if Brooks had escaped and not reversed. I'm on the fence about whether a TD should be 2, but a reversal should definitely be 3, because it's effectively combining an E1 and TD2--it puts you in the same place. You shouldn't be penalized for efficiently collapsing those steps.
I would be in favor of a 3 point takedown and 3 point reversal, if we move to a 1 point push out rule. I think they would have to make a major decision a 10 point win margin and a tech a 20 point margin though.

...as a follow up, apparently both Hidlays have announced they are staying for another year to take down “Penn State’s machine” of Starocci and Brooks... :(

giphy.gif

When I take into account that reaction time applies to reversals I do not believe a two count was achieved. If we took away reaction time I think it was very close to a two count.

Nor was Wilson.
Maybe not, I can't tell. At the 3:57 mark, it sure looks close and the ref has his nose right up to the action. Wilson did shake his head when the call was made. Regardless, the point was that there's a chasm of difference between what Eierman had pretty tight and the Hidlay roll through.

Maybe not, I can't tell. At the 3:57 mark, it sure looks close and the ref has his nose right up to the action. Wilson did shake his head when the call was made. Regardless, the point was that there's a chasm of difference between what Eierman had pretty tight and the Hidlay roll through.

Timewise . . .

I've been a passenger on this train for some time. I recall quite a few discussions about this on themat back in the day.
My new agenda is the escape. If a wrestler in bottom position goes oob on his feet it should be an escape.
If the only control a top man has is to carry his opponent oob, it's not really control at all. It's tiresome to watch, especially when done repeatedly and he earns riding time due to it.
Where's the petitions, I'll sign.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT