ADVERTISEMENT

Football BREAKING: Former Five-Star OL Nolan Rucci commits to Penn State

Interesting to hear that Rucci entered the portal only after the OT he was backing up, Jack Nelson, decided to come back to Wisky for 2024.

Since Rucci will be a 4th year player it seems he will add a good deal of experience to what seems deep but inexperienced OT position. Shelton, Williams, Onohm, Sexton, Boyer, Brewer(?).

I believe we heard that Onoh was at OT and that Donkoh was inside, but the article names Donkoh at OT. Anyone know what positions the 2023 freshman olinemen are really practicing at?

Williams OT
Birchmeier G/C
Donkoh ? Inside
Onoh OT ?

I’m more interested in whether the guys arguing about Rucci in the other thread notice this or if they keep the banter going for another hour or two.

If the staff likes him, I'm all for it. Between he and Fleming, they can make the case that #1 PA kids SHOULD just come to Penn State from the get-go!

that Donkoh was inside, but the article names Donkoh at OT.

Donkoh spent the regular season at LG based on his live snaps, but he played 2 or 3 quarters at RT in the bowl. I believe someone said that would be his position going forward, but I didn't see the article or source it came from.

If the staff likes him, I'm all for it. Between he and Fleming, they can make the case that #1 PA kids SHOULD just come to Penn State from the get-go!

Donkoh spent the regular season at LG based on his live snaps, but he played 2 or 3 quarters at RT in the bowl. I believe someone said that would be his position going forward, but I didn't see the article or source it came from.
He'll have an opportunity to compete for the RT spot for sure.

Any insight as to the OL positions Donkah and Onoh will compete to play going forward?
Donkoh will be able to compete at RT for sure, doesn't work out he'll move back inside. Onoh I believe they'll continue to work at offensive tackle - he played both LT and RT this season.

Reactions: GregInPitt
Donkoh will be able to compete at RT for sure, doesn't work out he'll move back inside. Onoh I believe they'll continue to work at offensive tackle - he played both LT and RT this season.
Thanks!

I can't remember another time in the last 50 years when PSU had so many olinemen competing at OT, including the 2024 true freshmen.

One thing for certain: Neither ot spot is secured right now by anyone. Best 2 men win the job in the spring/summer.

Interesting to hear that Rucci entered the portal only after the OT he was backing up, Jack Nelson, decided to come back to Wisky for 2024.

Since Rucci will be a 4th year player it seems he will add a good deal of experience to what seems deep but inexperienced OT position. Shelton, Williams, Onohm, Sexton, Boyer, Brewer(?).

I believe we heard that Onoh was at OT and that Donkoh was inside, but the article names Donkoh at OT. Anyone know what positions the 2023 freshman olinemen are really practicing at?

Williams OT
Birchmeier G/C
Donkoh ? Inside
Onoh OT ?
Donkoh is now at tackle. Played well there in the Peach Bowl according to reports.

Thanks!

I can't remember another time in the last 50 years when PSU had so many olinemen competing at OT, including the 2024 true freshmen.
Those freshman tackles are raw athletes and aren’t anywhere near ready physically to contribute next year .

Those freshman tackles are raw athletes and aren’t anywhere near ready physically to contribute next year .
Yep, just like Donkoh was at this time last year.

It's hard to say who from each class will contribute early, especially on the OL. But Cousins, Boyer and Sexton are reportedly enrolling this week.

Last edited:
Bwahahaha... I without you had a pair and subsequently a sense of humor. I was obviously wrong.

Donkoh had a completely different build than those tackles you mentioned.
Not than Cousins, who the staff says can play all 5 positions.

Or Brewer for that matter, depending on what position the staff sees him at and how he does in the S&C program. But Brewer reportedly is not enrolling early.

Yep, Sexton and Boyer are longer and taller and will likely take some time to fill out.

Reactions: PSU Soupy
6’8” 310 is a very tall frame. Would he be better off, if possible, gaining 15-20 pounds?

Not than Cousins, who the staff says can play all 5 positions.

Or Brewer for that matter, depending on what position the staff sees him at and how he does in the S&C program. But Brewer reportedly is not enrolling early.

Yep, Sexton and Boyer are longer and taller and will likely take some time to fill out.
We weren’t discussing Cousins, this was your comment that started the discussion.

“Since Rucci will be a 4th year player it seems he will add a good deal of experience to what seems deep but inexperienced OT position. Shelton, Williams, Onohm, Sexton, Boyer, Brewer(?).”

We weren’t discussing Cousins, this was your comment that started the discussion.

“Since Rucci will be a 4th year player it seems he will add a good deal of experience to what seems deep but inexperienced OT position. Shelton, Williams, Onohm, Sexton, Boyer, Brewer(?).”
So what?

You have a rule that questions can't be answered with consideration of all the incoming players? We?? I was discussing all the options at OT given that the staff is bringing in a more mature player in Rucci who is obviously an OT.

Yes, it seems Cousins could get consideration at OT if the staff believe that is his best position when he gets to PSU given that Franklin has said that Cousins could play all 5 OL positions. That doesn't make sense to you?

Williams OT
Birchmeier G/C
Donkoh ? Inside
Onoh OT ?
Wisco O line coach was just "reassigned" off the O line. Reassigned and still employed costs less than outright buy out. There is clearly something wrong in chemistry on Wisconsin football team. Unfortunately the press up here is so in the bag for and controlled by UW (for all manner of issues and stories not just football) it's hard to get accurate read on what the actual problem is. Clearly went back to Chryst era, then no keeping Leohnard after he came out with "plan to revive and restore" and now Fickell seems genuinely lost. And 4 O line have portaged

Reactions: dswartz
Rucci didn't start at Wisky and wasn't likely to start, and the Wisconsin O-line program is nothing like what it once was.

I'm glad he's back in Pa., glad Franklin and Trautwein had a scholarship for him, hopefully he'll contribute.

But the assumption at this point has got to be that he's a depth player.

"Former 5 star" is one of the most meaningless phrases in college football. And transfers almost never make an impact on O-line -- the only case I can think of was the Rutgers tackle who went to Ohio State, but he was All-B1G so he was a known quantity.

It's a tough, tough position and not everybody can do it no matter how much effort they put in. Not everybody can gain the weight necessary to do it.

Wisco O line coach was just "reassigned" off the O line. Reassigned and still employed costs less than outright buy out. There is clearly something wrong in chemistry on Wisconsin football team. Unfortunately the press up here is so in the bag for and controlled by UW (for all manner of issues and stories not just football) it's hard to get accurate read on what the actual problem is. Clearly went back to Chryst era, then no keeping Leohnard after he came out with "plan to revive and restore" and now Fickell seems genuinely lost. And 4 O line have portaged
Wisconsin has strayed from their DNA of ground and pound. They’re trying to run an air raid offense with Phil Longo. Square peg in a round hole. It reminds me of when Bill Callahan transformed Nebraska from a power offense to the west coast offense

Rucci didn't start at Wisky and wasn't likely to start, and the Wisconsin O-line program is nothing like what it once was.

I'm glad he's back in Pa., glad Franklin and Trautwein had a scholarship for him, hopefully he'll contribute.

But the assumption at this point has got to be that he's a depth player.

"Former 5 star" is one of the most meaningless phrases in college football. And transfers almost never make an impact on O-line -- the only case I can think of was the Rutgers tackle who went to Ohio State, but he was All-B1G so he was a known quantity.

It's a tough, tough position and not everybody can do it no matter how much effort they put in. Not everybody can gain the weight necessary to do it.
I agree that the former 5 star idea isn't totally relevant. However, imo, it proves that the potential may still be there if given another opportunity.

I agree that the former 5 star idea isn't totally relevant. However, imo, it proves that the potential may still be there if given another opportunity.
I think Rucci had a different OL coach each year and the last one, Bicknell jr is one and done everywhere he goes. Maybe Trautwein can fix a few things in his game. Not sure if he has 1 or 2 years left of eligibility

Reactions: PennState_one
Like you know anything about anything.
Tell us the next great OL who has not seen the field yet.
You seem pretty certain that Rucci will play at Penn State.

Wisconsin spent 3 years developing Rucci and he didn’t play there. Sounds like Rucci was a better Tight End than he was an OT at Wisconsin. Wisconsin is a shell of its former self right now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT