ADVERTISEMENT

Bonhoeffer on stupidity (ominous warning for ALL humanity).......

Michael.Felli

Mar 19, 2013
Bonhoeffer on the ‘Stupidity’ That Led to Hitler’s Rise
Americans today might do well to heed Bonhoeffer’s warning.

Annie Holmquist | April 8, 2016

"Upon closer observation, it becomes apparent that every strong upsurge of power in the public sphere, be it of a political or a religious nature, infects a large part of humankind with stupidity. … The power of the one needs the stupidity of the other. The process at work here is not that particular human capacities, for instance, the intellect, suddenly atrophy or fail.Instead, it seems that under the overwhelming impact of rising power, humans are deprived of their inner independence and, more or less consciously, give up establishing an autonomous position toward the emerging circumstances. The fact that the stupid person is often stubborn must not blind us to the fact that he is not independent. In conversation with him, one virtually feels that one is dealing not at all with him as a person, but with slogans, catchwords, and the like that have taken possession of him. He is under a spell, blinded, misused, and abused in his very being. Having thus become a mindless tool, the stupid person will also be capable of any evil and at the same time incapable of seeing that it is evil. This is where the danger of diabolical misuse lurks, for it is this that can once and for all destroy human beings.”

Mike: How much thought or investigation did you put in before posting that quote? Unless you are referring to some obscure secular humanist who happens to have the same surname, the name Bonhoeffer refers to the famed German (Lutheran) theologian Dietrich Bonhoeffer. The guy was very much a Christian, and the Nazis killed him for his views.

Reactions: LionJim and 91Joe95
Mike: How much thought or investigation did you put in before posting that quote? Unless you are referring to some obscure secular humanist who happens to have the same surname, the name Bonhoeffer refers to the famed German (Lutheran) theologian Dietrich Bonhoeffer. The guy was very much a Christian, and the Nazis killed him for his views.

I don't understand your reply? Christian, Jew whatever...the guy was talking about STUPIDITY. And, the DANGER of stupid people.

I know EXACTLY who he is. I quote Martin Luther King, Jr, too. And, he was a Christian who was assassinated.

I don't understand your reply? Christian, Jew whatever...the guy was talking about STUPIDITY. And, the DANGER of stupid people.

I know EXACTLY who he is. I quote Martin Luther King, Jr, too. And, he was a Christian who was assassinated.

You say that now.

th

"Upon closer observation, it becomes apparent that every strong upsurge of power in the public sphere, be it of a political or a religious nature, infects a large part of humankind with stupidity. … The power of the one needs the stupidity of the other. The process at work here is not that particular human capacities, for instance, the intellect, suddenly atrophy or fail.Instead, it seems that under the overwhelming impact of rising power, humans are deprived of their inner independence and, more or less consciously, give up establishing an autonomous position toward the emerging circumstances. The fact that the stupid person is often stubborn must not blind us to the fact that he is not independent. In conversation with him, one virtually feels that one is dealing not at all with him as a person, but with slogans, catchwords, and the like that have taken possession of him. He is under a spell, blinded, misused, and abused in his very being. Having thus become a mindless tool, the stupid person will also be capable of any evil and at the same time incapable of seeing that it is evil. This is where the danger of diabolical misuse lurks, for it is this that can once and for all destroy human beings.”

Ummm, yea, I do believe they call that political "indoctrination" or "brainwashing" which most "populist" candidates are probably more guilty of than any other! The concept of "Free Thinking", and vetting issues and conclusions such that "you know why you believe what you believe" rather than just being a "mouthpiece", would be the opposite of this. Essentially, there are demagogues in all walks of life and of all political stripe, there is nothing wrong with holding certain beliefs - such as being a fiscal conservative, but a social liberal (a "libertarian" that believes in "meritocracy" and "accountability") - but you should always understand why you believe what you believe regardless of belief such that you are not a demagogue like our resident "empty suit" Crud66.

Reactions: Michael.Felli

Mike: The clear intent of your OP was to suggest that Bonhoeffer equated religious movements with political movements, and that people who became adherents to any political or religious movement are "mindless tools" guilty of "stupidity." That was very clearly NOT what Dietrich Bonhoeffer believed. Further, I can not find the quote you posted and attributed to him.

Reactions: step.eng69
Mike: The clear intent of your OP was to suggest that Bonhoeffer equated religious movements with political movements, and that people who became adherents to any political or religious movement are "mindless tools" guilty of "stupidity." That was very clearly NOT what Dietrich Bonhoeffer believed. Further, I can not find the quote you posted and attributed to him.

I read his book.

Amazon product ASIN 1506402747
Bonhoeffer was struggling with his faith. Which, I, too, can relate b/c I once struggled with my faith.

Where Bonhoeffer failed is he never considered the possibility that it was HE who was in error. His thinking was based on THREE assumptions:

1) There was a God
2) This God was the God of the Jews
3) He sent a Savior

So, in his letters, he speaks (more or less) of a "religionless Christianity". But, his thinking and approach to 20th Century society was always based on the above assumptions. That's why he failed.

He, too, ended up:

1) Force-fitting data
2) Cherry picking
3) Confirmation Bias

I succeed because I start with: "what do I know?". I, then, look at ALL the data and allow the data to speak for themselves. It's quite simple, really.

But, I digress.

To answer your "assumption" as to the ulterior motive I posted what I did, I subscribe to a plethora of news-feeds. One of which is "Join the Coffee Party Movement". Not that I adhere to their philosophy, mind you, but they do post interesting stuff from time to time. One of which was this article...

http://www.intellectualtakeout.org/blog/bonhoeffer-stupidity-led-hitlers-rise

My intent to post it here was two-fold:

1) The BOT election
2) the upcoming Presidential election

I loathe stupidity. Don't ever forget that - ever!

I think! Therefore, I am....a Humanist!

Did you post this because of the Trump thread? Seems to be spot on.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT