ADVERTISEMENT

BOMBSHELL: Exculpatory Evidence Removed From Schultz File

----- Schultz testimony on taking a nanosecond to think of 1998 in 2001, at Spanier trial, 3/22/2017, at p.434:

Q. Now, you reviewed the '98 history. When you first heard about this incident in 2001, did you think back to `98?
A. I sure did.

Q. And how long did it take you for that to come back into your head?
A. A nanosecond.

Q. Okay. And why is that?
A. Well, it involved Sandusky again and, I mean, none of us were happy about `98, you know, what he was doing, we didn't think was appropriate and, like I said before, I hope he learned his lesson. Well, when you get this report, you say, nah, damn, he didn't.

----- Schultz testimony on two thing he's totally blank on, at Spanier trial, 3/22/2017, at p.480:

Q. Now, in Ms. Ditka's questions to you today, one part of the story that we've heard about already was left out, and that is Wendell Courtney.
A. Yes.

Q. In 2001, acting on behalf of the administration of the University, you sought the legal advice of Wendell Courtney regarding the 2001 incident; correct?
A. Yes. I believe I called him on that Sunday.

Q. And Wendell Courtney has testified that he believed it would be smart and prudent to contact DPW, and that he advised you of that.
A. There's two pieces to this that I am totally blank on.

Q. I appreciate that.
A. One of them is that I don't recall any conversation, and there must have been two of them, with Mr. Courtney.

Q. Okay. What's -- what's the other piece? You said there's two.
A. Where I got the impression that it was reported to DPW.

----- Curley testimony about Courtney, at Spanier trial, 3/22/2017, at p.360:

Q. Do you have any recollection whether or not Gary Schultz told you that he contacted Wendell Courtney and sought legal advice as it related to this incident?
A. I don't recall that conversation, but certainly I've seen correspondence since that he did.

Q. So you're now aware that Wendell Courtney advised that this should be a matter that should be reported to DPW.
A. Yeah. Again, I don't -- I don't remember the conversation with Gary, either him going to Wendell or when he came back, exactly what the conversation was, so I just -- I don't have a recollection of what was outlined.

----- Courtney testimony, at Spanier trial, 3/21/2017, at p.169:

Q. Okay. Now, I'm going to direct your attention to February of 2001. Do you recall that period of time, generally speaking?
A. I do now.

-- at p.179:

A. Well, after I determined the nature of the advice that I was going to give Gary, I called him back and told him that I had reviewed the law and told him that in my opinion, I thought the University should report this to DPW.

-- at p.180:

A. When I spoke with Gary, he did not indicate to me, and I did not indicate -- or I did not believe based on my conversation with him, that he thought there was child abuse that had taken place in the shower. But the Child Protective Services Law and issues with respect to reporting, which is what I was reviewing, if you report something under the Child Protective Services Law, you are reporting suspected child abuse --

Q. Right.
A. -- or possible child abuse. So that was just my own narrative as to what I was doing with respect to not only the conversation with Gary but also the legal research that I then conducted, and then the second conversation I had with him.

Q. Okay. Now, when you -- your second conversation is winding down. Did he indicate to you whether or not he planned on following your advice?
A. No, I don't believe so. I think he said thank you very much, that's how we typically would operate. And very typically, my advice was followed.

-- at p.182:

Q. Now, was this a close call in your mind whether or not this was the right advice to give?
A. No.

Q. Okay.
A. I mean, I thought it was common sense. You know, it was kind of a no brainer... And it was the smart and prudent and appropriate thing to do.

-- at p.185, under cross:

A. That's correct. The only person I ever advised at Penn State about this was Gary Schultz.

-- at p.186:

Q. Gary came to you for legal advice to be sure though; correct?
A. Correct, and I gave him legal advice.

Q. You have not put that legal advice in writing at any time so that they have something where you said as your lawyer, I advise you to report this. Correct?
A. It was a telephone conversation with Gary Schultz on February 11.

Q. As I understand it, in addition to your lawyer-client relationship with Gary Schultz, you are a very close personal friend of his. Is that correct?
A. That is correct.

Q. And you see him very frequently. Is that correct?
A. That is correct.

Q. Up to the present; correct?
A. That's correct.

Q. You are also friendly with Graham Spanier; correct?
A. Certainly.

Q. Okay. At any time from February 11, 2001, to the present, have you asked Gary Schultz or Graham Spanier, by the way, did you report that matter?
A. I never asked Graham and I do not recall ever having asked Gary.

-- at p.188:

Q. I appreciate that. And I understand what you're saying. But as counsel to Penn State, you would expect that you would have been given a heads up on that matter generally in 1998; correct?
A. Maybe or maybe not.

Q. Okay. Certainly in 2001, when Gary Schultz came to you about the 2001 incident, the 1998 incident didn't come to mind for you?
A. It did not.

Q. All right. And so did you ask Gary Schultz whether this was the first time he had ever heard about such conduct?
A. I do not recall ever having asked him that during our conversation on February 11th.
"And very typically, my advice was followed."
So everything is pointing to a report having been made.

There isn't any way to prove a report wasn't made, correct?

on the "not being able to take" your employer is wrong. you can't take the information but you can take a copy of the information. Or, you'd have to be able to forget everything while employed. It simply is not enforceable.
This depends on your field, but in many fields, if you take information with you (even copies) after you leave the organization you would be in SERIOUS trouble.

Last edited:
How about when counsel recommends calling DPW?
Right, so there are two options:

1) Courtney is telling the truth, in which case DPW was almost certainly contacted (based on all the evidence we have).

2) Courtney is lying to cover his ass (i.e. he didn't advise that and conveniently there is not documentation that he advised that).

Either way, C/S/S followed the advise of counsel.

Please let me know when you find a guy who has coached for any period of time and doesn't have some ex players who hate his guts.
Complletely agree. It just seems odd this player-coach beef would come up in the context of the Sandusky prosecution.

Right, so there are two options:

1) Courtney is telling the truth, in which case DPW was almost certainly contacted (based on all the evidence we have).

2) Courtney is lying to cover his ass (i.e. he didn't advise that and conveniently there is not documentation that he advised that).

Either way, C/S/S followed the advise of counsel.

If you are going consider the thought of Courtney lying as an option, then you would also have to consider the idea that Schultz is lying as well wouldn’t you? That would be another option.

If you are going consider the thought of Courtney lying as an option, then you would also have to consider the idea that Schultz is lying as well wouldn’t you? That would be another option.
If he was going to lie would his lie be "I absolutely reported it! 100% Definitely reported it. No doubt in my mind" rather than "Gee, I think it was reported but I don't remember any details."

Again, none of this is definitive, but if you look at the totality of the information we now have it seems almost certain it was reported.

Reactions: francofan
If he was going to lie would his lie be "I absolutely reported it! 100% Definitely reported it. No doubt in my mind" rather than "Gee, I think it was reported but I don't remember any details."

Again, none of this is definitive, but if you look at the totality of the information we now have it seems almost certain it was reported.
Likewise, if one of them was going to report it you would expect them to have it documented somewhere. You just can’t trust memory.
On a related note, I’m sitting in a waiting room waiting for my brother to emerge from his colonoscopy. On the ride here he was talking about the colonoscopy he had 15 or so years ago and how our friend Jeff took him to it. When I told him that I took him to that he didn’t believe me. I am absolutely 100% certain that I took him but he has no recollection of it at all.

Likewise, if one of them was going to report it you would expect them to have it documented somewhere. You just can’t trust memory.
On a related note, I’m sitting in a waiting room waiting for my brother to emerge from his colonoscopy. On the ride here he was talking about the colonoscopy he had 15 or so years ago and how our friend Jeff took him to it. When I told him that I took him to that he didn’t believe me. I am absolutely 100% certain that I took him but he has no recollection of it at all.
Your anecdote about memory illustrates why the statute of limitations is so important. And another BS aspect of this case (i.e. changing the date to get in it under the SOL, then changing it back to the actual date, but then ignoring the fact that it was outside the SOL).

Your anecdote about memory illustrates why the statute of limitations is so important. And another BS aspect of this case (i.e. changing the date to get in it under the SOL, then changing it back to the actual date, but then ignoring the fact that it was outside the SOL).
That has always blown me away. It’s absurd.

Reactions: nits74 and PSU2UNC
How often do the school administrators consult legal counsel that is billed as child abuse and not consider it serious?

It was labeled "possible child abuse." WC was called by GS before he spoke to MM. You know this. To answer your question, I'll bet a district has occasion once if not several times a year to discuss possible instances of child abuse. An elementary school child who appears with bruises....you don't think that happens a great deal? LOL
You are painting yourself into a very small corner.
I have stated from the very beginning.....I don't know if Sandusky is innocent. I do firmly believe that most of the claimants are lairs.....this is a fact since they changed their stories at least once. Therefore, they stole (and their lawyers) money from PSU claiming either things that didn't happen or they changed dates locations and level of abuse to obtain a larger monetary settlement from PSU. It is likely that if AM is not V2, that none of them were entitled to funds from PSU.
Unless MM can see around corners, he SAW almost nothing that he testified to.
I know he was a compromised witness. I do believe that he was upset/ concerned that JS was showering in the evening at Lasch, with no one else present.
I do know that two widely respected medical professionals listened to his story and what he witnessed IN REAL TIME and did not think it was worthy of reporting to CYS or LE.
They suggested an administrative report to JVP. From that point on, that is how it was treated. Many people one million miles and years removed from the actual event......including you.....claim to know how the whole thing should have been handled.
I was not there. Nor were you. But I do know this......I knew JVP and Tim Curley well enough to know there are no finer men who walk this earth. I truly trust their judgement and their character. If you want to throw your money on Mike McQueary, be my guest. He can sell you the image of the little boy in the shower and a few other images on his cell phone.
MM, JM and Dr. D., never(and any of them could have made an anonymous call) had issue with how the matter was handled until PSP and OAG came calling, 10 years later.
Hell, Jack Raykovitz, who not only was CEO of TSM but was a contractual employee of CYS testified that Tim came to the right place to report. But hey......keep trying.

<snip>
I don't know if Sandusky is innocent. I do firmly believe that most of the claimants are lairs.....this is a fact since they changed their stories at least once. Therefore, they stole (and their lawyers) money from PSU claiming either things that didn't happen or they changed dates locations and level of abuse to obtain a larger monetary settlement from PSU. It is likely that if AM is not V2, that none of them were entitled to funds from PSU.
I know he was a compromised witness. I do believe that he was upset/ concerned that JS was showering in the evening at Lasch, with no one else present.
I do know that two widely respected medical professionals listened to his story and what he witnessed IN REAL TIME and did not think it was worthy of reporting to CYS or LE.
They suggested an administrative report to JVP. From that point on, that is how it was treated. Many people one million miles and years removed from the actual event......including you.....claim to know how the whole thing should have been handled.
I was not there. Nor were you. But I do know this......I knew JVP and Tim Curley well enough to know there are no finer men who walk this earth. I truly trust their judgement and their character. If you want to throw your money on Mike McQueary, be my guest. He can sell you the image of the little boy in the shower and a few other images on his cell phone.
MM, JM and Dr. D., never(and any of them could have made an anonymous call) had issue with how the matter was handled until PSP and OAG came calling, 10 years later.
Hell, Jack Raykovitz, who not only was CEO of TSM but was a contractual employee of CYS testified that Tim came to the right place to report. But hey......keep trying.

It is also likely if AM is v2 (as most people who have seriously investigated/researched the story have concluded) that none of the claimants were entitled to funds from PSU.

Reactions: PSU2UNC
i agree with almost everything you say but i think it is influenced by hindsight bias.
knowing what we know now it is hard to imagine they wouldn't keep a record to if nothing else cover the ass.

In 2001 you had a guy who
. was 3 years removed from PSU employment
. was revered in the community as guy who did great things for wayward youth
. had run an agency for years who has always passed any inspections or questions.
. had a LOT of POWERFUL people supporting his agency
. knowledge that 3 years earlier a similar situation was looked into and "nothing happened"
. had adopted a bunch of kids [6?] and was always vetted and passed with flying colors.

So what did they do.

. talked to TSM who was REQUIRED to look into it [they apparently laughed it off]
. told JS to keep kids off the premises
. now we hear they may indeed have contacted CYS.

In hindsight we might still say why in the world didn't you document this. In real time their actions weren't so bad. IMO
totally agree. they ALL blew it (MM, father, dranov, courtney, etc. etc. etc.). But the press needed a scape goat and someone that would sell clicks. So they settled on JVP but you couldn't have JVP unless your first blamed it on Schultz, Curley and Spanier.

Reactions: roswelllion
It is also likely if AM is v2 (as most people who have seriously investigated/researched the story have concluded) that none of the claimants were entitled to funds from PSU.
Not following; why is that?

totally agree. they ALL blew it (MM, father, dranov, courtney, etc. etc. etc.). But the press needed a scape goat and someone that would sell clicks. So they settled on JVP but you couldn't have JVP unless your first blamed it on Schultz, Curley and Spanier.

Or.... Maybe NOTHING really happened????

Reactions: indynittany
My answer to your question is that none of the PSU related cases holds water when considered individually.

Here we are neck deep in minutia about whether PSU reported to CYS. Why? Is it because by not reporting the endangered the welfare of a child? No. It's because by not reporting it they did not cover their own asses.

Reactions: NoBareFeet
I don't want to speak for Franco, but IMHO, V2 is what "anchors" the case to PSU. If AM is V2, it is fairly well established (again IMHO) that he is, at best, an unreliable witness (and at worst a prolific liar). If that V2/McQueary incident didn't actually happen, then there is nothing to tie this case to PSU and the civil suits against the University either don't happen or don't go anywhere.

It was labeled "possible child abuse." WC was called by GS before he spoke to MM. You know this. To answer your question, I'll bet a district has occasion once if not several times a year to discuss possible instances of child abuse. An elementary school child who appears with bruises....you don't think that happens a great deal? LOL
You are painting yourself into a very small corner.
I have stated from the very beginning.....I don't know if Sandusky is innocent. I do firmly believe that most of the claimants are lairs.....this is a fact since they changed their stories at least once. Therefore, they stole (and their lawyers) money from PSU claiming either things that didn't happen or they changed dates locations and level of abuse to obtain a larger monetary settlement from PSU. It is likely that if AM is not V2, that none of them were entitled to funds from PSU.
What corner have I painted myself into? The administrators received a report from an employee that led them to consult legal counsel that the lawyer billed as possible sexual abuse. One of the administrator states that he believes it was reported to an agency. He doesn’t have any documentation to verify that. He should have documented it. If that’s the corner I’ve painted myself into I’m perfectly comfortable there.
I mean, I don’t even think it’s really debatable that it should have been documented by themselves if they made a referral is it?
Guilt or innocence of Sandusky is irrelevant to the simple, simple point of them documenting the phone call.

Reactions: WHCANole
My answer to your question is that none of the PSU related cases holds water when considered individually.

Here we are neck deep in minutia about whether PSU reported to CYS. Why? Is it because by not reporting the endangered the welfare of a child? No. It's because by not reporting it they did not cover their own asses.
No, it’s because they stated that they believe it was referred but have no documentation to back that claim up.

Reactions: WHCANole
That just highlights yet another problem with Freeh’s “investigation”. After the shit in the fan in late 2011, people certainly reinterpreted vague memories in light of this new “information”

It is rather well-known that when McQueary got the WR coaching job replacing Kenny Carter in 2004, the reason Carter had left PSU was because McQueary had ratted him out to Joe that Carter was cheating on his wife and Carter was afraid Joe would fire him for that. Jackson’s ex-wife probably heard something about McQueary getting the job under shady circumstances in 2004, then when the Grand Jury report was released and McQueary was revealed to be the witness, simply assumed that was the reason he got the job.

Ok so I am not close enough to know if this story has merit but R.E. suggests it is "rather well known Carter left because MM ratted him out for cheating on his wife and was afraid Joe would fire him"

Think about that for a second. Is it possible to hold in your brain these two thoughts

1. Joe would fire Carter for cheating on his wife
2. Joe would would cover up or allow a cover up of JS molesting kids.

Certainly not for me.

No, it’s because they stated that they believe it was referred but have no documentation to back that claim up.
So what? What difference does that make when no law was broken either way? The charge for which Tim plead guilty was for a law that didn't even exist in 2001!

Last edited:
What corner have I painted myself into? The administrators received a report from an employee that led them to consult legal counsel that the lawyer billed as possible sexual abuse. One of the administrator states that he believes it was reported to an agency. He doesn’t have any documentation to verify that. He should have documented it. If that’s the corner I’ve painted myself into I’m perfectly comfortable there.
I mean, I don’t even think it’s really debatable that it should have been documented by themselves if they made a referral is it?
Guilt or innocence of Sandusky is irrelevant to the simple, simple point of them documenting the phone call.
Do you have proof that it was not reported? CYS wouldn't have the records anyway. I thought innocence was presumed in this great nation. Yet you keep going back into that corner. If you think there was abuse....why didn't Dranov report it? You know more than he does?

Ok so I am not close enough to know if this story has merit but R.E. suggests it is "rather well known Carter left because MM ratted him out for cheating on his wife and was afraid Joe would fire him"

Think about that for a second. Is it possible to hold in your brain these two thoughts

1. Joe would fire Carter for cheating on his wife
2. Joe would would cover up or allow a cover up of JS molesting kids.

Certainly not for me.
Here's where my brain goes.....MM ratted out anyone.....fir cheating on their wife..........holy shit

Maybe it was documented but removed from the “ secret file” by someone.... Baldwin? That’s when you know your screwed. Or the way he was treated, he’s the one who reported or was supposed to report.

Last edited:
Do you have proof that it was not reported? CYS wouldn't have the records anyway. I thought innocence was presumed in this great nation. Yet you keep going back into that corner. If you think there was abuse....why didn't Dranov report it? You know more than he does?
Of course I do not have proof they didn’t report it. That’s a silly question. The fact that CYS wouldn’t have the records is exactly the reason why you document it yourself, if you did call them.
Innocence is presumed in this great nation. Curley and Schultz pled guilty time failing to protect the welfare of a child. If they had called CYS and documented it, they wouldn’t have been in the position to have pled guilty to that charge. That’s the point.

i don’t believe that any of the claimants are entitled to any PSU funds irregardless of whether or not AM is v2. I don’t believe that PSU should be liable for any damages independent of whether any of the claimants were harmed.

As I have said many times, I don’t believe any claimants were harmed; so I have 2 key reasons why I don’t think claimants are deserving of PSU funds. I believe that Ira Lubert and the PSU committed a serious breech of fiduciary responsibility to the tune of $130 million.

Reactions: indynittany
Of course I do not have proof they didn’t report it. That’s a silly question. The fact that CYS wouldn’t have the records is exactly the reason why you document it yourself, if you did call them.
Innocence is presumed in this great nation. Curley and Schultz pled guilty time failing to protect the welfare of a child. If they had called CYS and documented it, they wouldn’t have been in the position to have pled guilty to that charge. That’s the point.
What child did they fail to protect? By saying they should have documented their contact with CYS, you are still saying they must prove their innocence.

BS! Somebody at PSU had to take the fall. They would have found something else. The charge for which Tim was coerced to plead guilty was for a law that did not even exist in 2001!
If they had documented proof that they made a call Curley wouldn’t have been the fall guy.

BS! Somebody at PSU had to take the fall. They would have found something else.
Tim Curley was not a mandated reporter. Jack Raykovitz and Dr. Dranov were. Why should Curley be charged? LOL Of the 3 Curley was the only one who did ANYTHING. By the way, please list the number of times someone has been convicted of endangering the welfare of a child that has NEVER been identified.

----- Schultz testimony on taking a nanosecond to think of 1998 in 2001, at Spanier trial, 3/22/2017, at p.434:

Q. Now, you reviewed the '98 history. When you first heard about this incident in 2001, did you think back to `98?
A. I sure did.

Q. And how long did it take you for that to come back into your head?
A. A nanosecond.

Q. Okay. And why is that?
A. Well, it involved Sandusky again and, I mean, none of us were happy about `98, you know, what he was doing, we didn't think was appropriate and, like I said before, I hope he learned his lesson. Well, when you get this report, you say, nah, damn, he didn't.

----- Schultz testimony on two thing he's totally blank on, at Spanier trial, 3/22/2017, at p.480:

Q. Now, in Ms. Ditka's questions to you today, one part of the story that we've heard about already was left out, and that is Wendell Courtney.
A. Yes.

Q. In 2001, acting on behalf of the administration of the University, you sought the legal advice of Wendell Courtney regarding the 2001 incident; correct?
A. Yes. I believe I called him on that Sunday.

Q. And Wendell Courtney has testified that he believed it would be smart and prudent to contact DPW, and that he advised you of that.
A. There's two pieces to this that I am totally blank on.

Q. I appreciate that.
A. One of them is that I don't recall any conversation, and there must have been two of them, with Mr. Courtney.

Q. Okay. What's -- what's the other piece? You said there's two.
A. Where I got the impression that it was reported to DPW.

----- Curley testimony about Courtney, at Spanier trial, 3/22/2017, at p.360:

Q. Do you have any recollection whether or not Gary Schultz told you that he contacted Wendell Courtney and sought legal advice as it related to this incident?
A. I don't recall that conversation, but certainly I've seen correspondence since that he did.

Q. So you're now aware that Wendell Courtney advised that this should be a matter that should be reported to DPW.
A. Yeah. Again, I don't -- I don't remember the conversation with Gary, either him going to Wendell or when he came back, exactly what the conversation was, so I just -- I don't have a recollection of what was outlined.

----- Courtney testimony, at Spanier trial, 3/21/2017, at p.169:

Q. Okay. Now, I'm going to direct your attention to February of 2001. Do you recall that period of time, generally speaking?
A. I do now.

-- at p.179:

A. Well, after I determined the nature of the advice that I was going to give Gary, I called him back and told him that I had reviewed the law and told him that in my opinion, I thought the University should report this to DPW.

-- at p.180:

A. When I spoke with Gary, he did not indicate to me, and I did not indicate -- or I did not believe based on my conversation with him, that he thought there was child abuse that had taken place in the shower. But the Child Protective Services Law and issues with respect to reporting, which is what I was reviewing, if you report something under the Child Protective Services Law, you are reporting suspected child abuse --

Q. Right.
A. -- or possible child abuse. So that was just my own narrative as to what I was doing with respect to not only the conversation with Gary but also the legal research that I then conducted, and then the second conversation I had with him.

Q. Okay. Now, when you -- your second conversation is winding down. Did he indicate to you whether or not he planned on following your advice?
A. No, I don't believe so. I think he said thank you very much, that's how we typically would operate. And very typically, my advice was followed.

-- at p.182:

Q. Now, was this a close call in your mind whether or not this was the right advice to give?
A. No.

Q. Okay.
A. I mean, I thought it was common sense. You know, it was kind of a no brainer... And it was the smart and prudent and appropriate thing to do.

-- at p.185, under cross:

A. That's correct. The only person I ever advised at Penn State about this was Gary Schultz.

-- at p.186:

Q. Gary came to you for legal advice to be sure though; correct?
A. Correct, and I gave him legal advice.

Q. You have not put that legal advice in writing at any time so that they have something where you said as your lawyer, I advise you to report this. Correct?
A. It was a telephone conversation with Gary Schultz on February 11.

Q. As I understand it, in addition to your lawyer-client relationship with Gary Schultz, you are a very close personal friend of his. Is that correct?
A. That is correct.

Q. And you see him very frequently. Is that correct?
A. That is correct.

Q. Up to the present; correct?
A. That's correct.

Q. You are also friendly with Graham Spanier; correct?
A. Certainly.

Q. Okay. At any time from February 11, 2001, to the present, have you asked Gary Schultz or Graham Spanier, by the way, did you report that matter?
A. I never asked Graham and I do not recall ever having asked Gary.

-- at p.188:

Q. I appreciate that. And I understand what you're saying. But as counsel to Penn State, you would expect that you would have been given a heads up on that matter generally in 1998; correct?
A. Maybe or maybe not.

Q. Okay. Certainly in 2001, when Gary Schultz came to you about the 2001 incident, the 1998 incident didn't come to mind for you?
A. It did not.

Q. All right. And so did you ask Gary Schultz whether this was the first time he had ever heard about such conduct?
A. I do not recall ever having asked him that during our conversation on February 11th.
JmmyW- were Schultz or Curley ever asked why they waited ~10 days before speaking to Mike?

Didn't this entire thread start 14 pages ago when ray indicated exculpatory evidence was removed. If so then it indeed was reported.

Reactions: PSU2UNC
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT