ADVERTISEMENT

Boilo recipe

I actually started making this stuff last year, after reading about it on the board for so many years. It was a huge hit, especially with the NEPA transplants to our area. I made a batch for the Eagles game last Monday night. It definitely helped us deal with the cold. Also a great cure-all for illness, whether consumed on its own or mixed with tea.

After reviewing a bunch of direct recipes, including some on some very yellow newspaper from our friend, I knocked up my own version. It is along the lines of those in the links posted. Honey, oranges, lemons, a little OJ, just a little ginger ale, cinnamon sticks, caraway seeds and this year added cloves. The caraway seeds are important to this, IMO. We don't have 4 roses whiskey by us, so I bought a couple of large bottles of Jim Beam -- one honey and one apple, plus a bottle of...banker's club (ouch). I used different whiskeys last year. A few recipes call for grain -- I think that would be a bad idea, although not from a taste perspective. You really need to let the flavors seep before adding the alcohol, and to strain it multiple times.

I know purists may not agree with my version, but there really is no official version. This is what my group seemed to like. To each his or her own.

This year it will be given in Mason jars as gifts (along with other stuff) for the people at work. Prob not a good move...

I actually started making this stuff last year, after reading about it on the board for so many years. It was a huge hit, especially with the NEPA transplants to our area. I made a batch for the Eagles game last Monday night. It definitely helped us deal with the cold. Also a great cure-all for illness, whether consumed on its own or mixed with tea.

After reviewing a bunch of direct recipes, including some on some very yellow newspaper from our friend, I knocked up my own version. It is along the lines of those in the links posted. Honey, oranges, lemons, a little OJ, just a little ginger ale, cinnamon sticks, caraway seeds and this year added cloves. The caraway seeds are important to this, IMO. We don't have 4 roses whiskey by us, so I bought a couple of large bottles of Jim Beam -- one honey and one apple, plus a bottle of...banker's club (ouch). I used different whiskeys last year. A few recipes call for grain -- I think that would be a bad idea, although not from a taste perspective. You really need to let the flavors seep before adding the alcohol, and to strain it multiple times.

I know purists may not agree with my version, but there really is no official version. This is what my group seemed to like. To each his or her own.

This year it will be given in Mason jars as gifts (along with other stuff) for the people at work. Prob not a good move...
just an fyi, people are getting four queens confused with four Roses.

Four queens is what the old timers used. It is cheap and terrible and perfect for boilo. Four Roses wasn't even sold in the united states for over 40 years starting in the late 1950s until after 2000. Sorry to nitpick.

Four queens is what the old timers used. It is cheap and terrible and perfect for boilo. Four Roses wasn't even sold in the united states for over 40 years starting in the late 1950s until after 2000. Sorry to nitpick.
Not a nitpick at all. I know you're correct about Four Queens. We don't have Four anything in our stores, so it didn't matter. :)

Cheap and terrible -- hence my use of banker's club.

I lived down the road from House of Webb. Not sure if you’re old enough to have known of it. Closer actually to Palmerston than Lehigton.
Our area took its culture from Pa Dutch mostly, so they would not have known of a Lithuanian concoction like that

Speaking of PSU Hazleton, my nephew just got accepted there. Any pointers about the school or area these days would be much appreciated.
Penn State Hazleton is the coldest spot on planet earth. Sits on top of that hill. Highest spot for miles around. Zero protection from the wind.
Beautiful spot, but I've experienced three seasons in one day there.

Reactions: fizzyskittles
Pffffttt........back in the infamous days of Lot 80, I once experienced three seasons in one trip from AgSci to East Halls
I've done both.
Not sure lot 80 compares to C Lot at Hazleton. Or parking in A lot and having to climb the hill using the ropes they used to string along the walkway to keep you from sliding back to the bottom because of the ice.
Fun times either way!

I’m actually not at all crazy, but that was a wild night and I was the det cord to it.

The capper before the drive home was when we stumbled over to the VFW Hall near the Penn Campus. The groom and best man were Army Rangers in training, so we thought they’d let us in in our state. Nope - denied at the door.

My brother was the designated driver and somehow had to wrangle us all home. Got the rangers to their motel room which they befouled that night. He then spent about an hour cleaning and hosing the car off so the puke wouldn’t ruin the paint job.

I woke up with the sheet stuck to my arm because the burn blister had popped and oozed. Otherwise, I was right as rain - oh to be 22 again
No, I meant the Lenny who threw up out of the bus window on 95 during my batchelor party.

You’re right, and sorry for the slip up. You should not use 4 roses in the boilo.

Someone mentioned Calvert, which I was not aware of. After reading about it that would also be an excellent choice. You want to use a cheap whisky suitable for mixing.

Yeah, you don't use Four roses for Boilo.

Go to RJ's boilo competition. I think Roman's may have one as well. We just made ours. Smooth not gummed up with sweet shit and doesn't burn a wink. The recipe I use came from a Shendo 462 person.
RJs isn't around these days but other local places have contests.

Despite being a Lithuanian from Shenandoah I don’t have a go to boilo recipe. My grandma’s recipe is long lost as it wasn’t written down. My Dad is blissfully ignorant of such things has never cooked or mixed a drink. He has had plenty of it but can only list a vague recollection of the recipe. My aunt doesn’t drink the stuff as has no clue either. There are 100 variations, but wondering what you guys think.

For those that may not know the drink consists of ingredients in 4 main categories, but has infinite variations.

- liquid base (some use water, but I believe many use ginger ale or sprite. I’ve also heard of raspberry ginger ale, orange juice and apple cider used as the base)

- citrus/honey (juices and quartered oranges and lemons seem to be ubiquitous. Raisins and honey seem to be added often as well. People that use juices as a base as noted above probably don’t add more citrus or honey so not to make it overly sweet)

-spices (all seem to use cinnamon, with Clove and caraway seed also used)

-booze (four roses is the tradition, but any blended whiskey will do. I know some use shine or grain)

I don’t like my boilo overly sweet, but do enjoy the citrus and spices. I will be using whiskey. Thinking of using ginger ale as the base, with a bunch or oranges and lemons. Cinnamon and Clove for sure with whiskey. Been trying some different things over the last few years and pretty much settled on the above, but suggestions appreciated.
I know it's been addressed , but I'd recommend Pappy Van Winkle or George T. Stagg, hahahaha!

This is the Four Roses the NEPA miners drank in the 50's on. Never saw my grandfather drink anything else. I know, my grandfather & grandma raised me for a majority of my childhood thru teens & PSU.
historic-website-photos-13.jpg

. Four Roses wasn't even sold in the united states for over 40 years starting in the late 1950s until after 2000. Sorry to nitpick.
Wrong....

THE MASTER DISTILLER
PrevNext
Four-Roses-History-e14151138538371.jpg

HISTORY

In 1884, Paul Jones Jr, moved his thriving business to Louisville, Kentucky, where he opened an office in a section of historic Main Street called, Whiskey Row.
Four years later, he trademarked the name Four Roses, claiming production and sales back to the 1860s. In 1922, the Paul Jones Company purchased the Frankfort Distilling Company.

In 1943, Seagram purchased the Frankfort Distilling Co. primarily to acquire the most noted and recognized name in the business at that time – Four Roses Kentucky Straight Bourbon. Even though Four Roses was the top selling Bourbon in the U.S. in the 30s, 40s and 50s, Seagram made the decision to discontinue the sale of Kentucky Straight Bourbon here, and Four Roses was moved to the rapidly growing European and Asian markets where it quickly became the top selling Bourbon and remains a top-selling Bourbon in both Europe and Japan today.

Wrong....

THE MASTER DISTILLER
PrevNext
Four-Roses-History-e14151138538371.jpg

HISTORY

In 1884, Paul Jones Jr, moved his thriving business to Louisville, Kentucky, where he opened an office in a section of historic Main Street called, Whiskey Row.
Four years later, he trademarked the name Four Roses, claiming production and sales back to the 1860s. In 1922, the Paul Jones Company purchased the Frankfort Distilling Company.

In 1943, Seagram purchased the Frankfort Distilling Co. primarily to acquire the most noted and recognized name in the business at that time – Four Roses Kentucky Straight Bourbon. Even though Four Roses was the top selling Bourbon in the U.S. in the 30s, 40s and 50s, Seagram made the decision to discontinue the sale of Kentucky Straight Bourbon here, and Four Roses was moved to the rapidly growing European and Asian markets where it quickly became the top selling Bourbon and remains a top-selling Bourbon in both Europe and Japan today.

"The brand was purchased by Seagram in 1943. Around the end of the 1950s, Seagram discontinued the sale of Four Roses bourbon within the United States in order to focus on sales of blended whiskey, although it introduced other brands of straight bourbons in the 1960s and 1970s, such as Benchmark and Eagle Rare.[5] Four Roses Kentucky straight bourbon marketing was shifted to Europe and Asia, which were rapidly growing markets at the time. In the United States during this period, the Four Roses name was used on a blended whiskey, made mostly of neutral grain spirits and commonly seen as a sub-par "rotgut" brand.[6][7] Four Roses continued to be unavailable as a straight bourbon in the US market for more than forty years until the brand ownership changed in 2002 after Seagram was purchased by Vivendi. That company then sold most of its brands to Diageo, which sold the Four Roses brand to Kirin, who discontinued the sale of blended whiskey to focus exclusively on Four Roses Kentucky straight bourbon whiskey.[5]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Roses

Reactions: step.eng69

Sounds great to me. I think it’s a good recipe due to the flavored Beam. Good idea.

Correct. My tough as nails grandfather drank four queens which makes me laugh for some reason.

If you go to Coalregion.com there is a recipe for Boilo

I've been sworn to secrecy with this boilo that was a Skook County contest winner. I'll give you the ingredients...not how much of each.

Ginger Ale, Honey, OJ, Lemon(s), Orange(s), Cinnamon Stick(s), Caraway seeds, Allspice, 4 Queens Whiskey, (The whole bottle...I'll give you that)
Merry Christmas and na zdravie!

I know it's been addressed , but I'd recommend Pappy Van Winkle or George T. Stagg, hahahaha!
By the way I consulted with my old man, and he confirmed my grandpa used 4 Roses in his Boilo in the old days (50’s). He was a coal miner, and later a bartender for decades. The man knew his booze. As Step pointed out, 4 Roses used to be a cheap blended whiskey. I have no idea what it is now, but it’s not cheap.

The original 4 Roses was the choice for Boilo.

Reactions: Zenophile
By the way I consulted with my old man, and he confirmed my grandpa used 4 Roses in his Boilo in the old days (50’s). He was a coal miner, and later a bartender for decades. The man knew his booze. As Step pointed out, 4 Roses used to be a cheap blended whiskey. I have no idea what it is now, but it’s not cheap.

The original 4 Roses was the choice for Boilo.

Gotcha, I just paid 90$ for a bottle of cask strength I think ( 57.5%) so it’s not cheap now.

Gotcha, I just paid 90$ for a bottle of cask strength I think ( 57.5%) so it’s not cheap now.
No, it’s not!

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2009/05/domestic-whiskeys-best-kept-secret/16629/

There is some info here. Per this article Seagrem’s had the 4 Roses brand starting in the 50’s and sold 4 Roses American, which was a bottom barrel blended whiskey with nuetral spirits. A cheap blended whiskey with a high percentage of neutral spirits in the boilo go to. We don’t have 4 Queens here so I used some Seagrem’s 7, which is probably pretty similar to the old 4 Roses American brand.

Off topic but related. I’ve been getting into Rye Whiskey lately. I’ve been drinking my Manhattan’s and Old Fashion’s with Rye for some time (it’s of course not always the default). I’ve been sipping a bottle of Bulleit Rye neat for a few weeks now, and it’s pretty good. Does anyone have any Rye Whiskey suggestions?

Off topic but related. I’ve been getting into Rye Whiskey lately. I’ve been drinking my Manhattan’s and Old Fashion’s with Rye for some time (it’s of course not always the default). I’ve been sipping a bottle of Bulleit Rye neat for a few weeks now, and it’s pretty good. Does anyone have any Rye Whiskey suggestions?
Whistle Pig is expensive as hell, but pretty damn good.
Dad's Hat is a local product, quite good and traditionally made (very high rye content)
I love Knob Creek's rye in manhattans.
That said, my go-to is Old Overholt.

Whistle Pig is expensive as hell, but pretty damn good.
Dad's Hat is a local product, quite good and traditionally made (very high rye content)
I love Knob Creek's rye in manhattans.
That said, my go-to is Old Overholt.
Thanks. I’ve had whistle pig in a Manhattan but not straight. I was out to dinner with a client and didn’t want to start downing them.

I don't make boillo, but enjoy drinking it. I have several friends that do and the reason they use Four Queens is it's over 100 proof. Price may be a factor, but I have another friend that uses Southern Comfort.
I personally like boillo on the sweet side, but to each their own. A coal region tradition that I look forward to each Christmas.

This sounds a lot like something my mom used to make called wassail. It had a large navel orange seeded with cloves, plus who knows what else. I never drank it... my sister has the recipe though. Maybe I’ll give it a try this year.

Wassail! wassail! all over the town,
Our toast it is white and our ale it is brown;
Our bowl it is made of the white maple tree;
With the wassailing bowl, we'll drink unto thee.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wassail

Last edited:
This is the Four Roses the NEPA miners drank in the 50's on. Never saw my grandfather drink anything else. I know, my grandfather & grandma raised me for a majority of my childhood thru teens & PSU.
historic-website-photos-13.jpg
This is the rot gut crap that you want to mix with cinnamon and other spices. Only the hardest core of alcoholics drank this shit in our family's pub:
two-witches-boilo-2015-2015-10-31-033.jpg

Thanks. I’ve had whistle pig in a Manhattan but not straight. I was out to dinner with a client and didn’t want to start downing them.
Bullett Bourbon for a Manhattan. But what really makes a good Manhattan Is the vermouth.

The most commonly available sweet vermouth is probably Martini & Rossi, and that’s a fine option if it’s all you can lay your hands on. But if you’re looking to take a major step up, try Carpano Antica, a sweet vermouth made by Fratelli Branca, the same people that bring us Fernet Branca. Slightly bitterer and a lot more complex than Martini & Rossi, Carpano Antica makes a fantastic Manhattan, particularly with an equally robust whiskey.

In addition to Bulleit Rye, I have been drinking High West Double Rye, a blend of 2 year old and I believe a 16 year old rye. I have been drinking rye whiskey almost exclusively for the past 2 years, but recently switched to drinking moderately priced Bourbon, St. Augustine and Bib and Tucker. The rye makes excellent Manhattans.

Despite being a Lithuanian from Shenandoah I don’t have a go to boilo recipe. My grandma’s recipe is long lost as it wasn’t written down. My Dad is blissfully ignorant of such things has never cooked or mixed a drink. He has had plenty of it but can only list a vague recollection of the recipe. My aunt doesn’t drink the stuff as has no clue either. There are 100 variations, but wondering what you guys think.

For those that may not know the drink consists of ingredients in 4 main categories, but has infinite variations.

- liquid base (some use water, but I believe many use ginger ale or sprite. I’ve also heard of raspberry ginger ale, orange juice and apple cider used as the base)

- citrus/honey (juices and quartered oranges and lemons seem to be ubiquitous. Raisins and honey seem to be added often as well. People that use juices as a base as noted above probably don’t add more citrus or honey so not to make it overly sweet)

-spices (all seem to use cinnamon, with Clove and caraway seed also used)

-booze (four roses is the tradition, but any blended whiskey will do. I know some use shine or grain)

I don’t like my boilo overly sweet, but do enjoy the citrus and spices. I will be using whiskey. Thinking of using ginger ale as the base, with a bunch or oranges and lemons. Cinnamon and Clove for sure with whiskey. Been trying some different things over the last few years and pretty much settled on the above, but suggestions appreciated.
Cranberry Apple Boilo Recipe

4 Granny Smith apples, sliced

4 oranges, sliced

4 lemons, sliced

1 bag fresh cranberries

8 cinnamon sticks

1/2 c. Mulling spices

1/2 c. Local Honey

32 oz. 100% cranberry Juice

32 oz. fresh apple cider

3 c. 4 Queens Whiskey

2 c. Everclear

Put all ingredients in a slow cooker on high for four hours until fruit is soft, strain and serve warm. Traditionally served as a shot, but may be adjusted to any flavor or strength to meet each family's preference.

If you go to Coalregion.com there is a recipe for Boilo
Thanks Gump, I don't remember seeing 4 Queens as a popular whisky during the 60's & 70's in the Wyoming Valley ( NEPA) bars. The two whiskey's mentioned in your reference were.

Boilo - Traditional Yuletide drink of the Coal RegionBoilo is traditionally made during the Christmas and New Year's holiday. It's great on those cold winter nights. Cheers!
Boilo recipe #1: Crock pot style2 oranges (med-large size)
2 lemons
1 small box raisins (about 1 1/2 ounces)
8 oz honey
12 oz whiskey (or more, to taste). Use Four Roses, or Seagrams 7, or something similar. At least 80 proof (40% alcohol).
1/2 to 1 teaspoon each of any or all of these spices: Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Cloves, Caraway seed, Anise seedMake this in a crock pot. It's easier than cooking on the stove and much less likely to overcook or scorch. For the quantities shown here, a small (1.5 quart) crock pot will do.Peel the oranges and lemons. Cut up the fruit and squeeze them into the crock pot. A garlic press works, or you can use some kind of juicer or fruit squeezer if you have one. Put the remaining fruit pulp into the crock pot as well.Add the raisins, honey, and spices. Stir.NOTE: do not add whiskey yet!Start the crock pot and let the mixture cook for about 2-4 hours. Stir occasionally. It's done when the fruit pulp gets "cooked-down".Strain into a pitcher. Mash down the fruit in the strainer to get all the liquid. NOW add the whiskey to the pitcher and stir. If you cook the whiskey, even for a short time, the alcohol will start to evaporate (and who wants that to happen??). Taste, and add more whiskey to your liking.Serve hot in shot glasses, espresso cups, or coffee mugs. After the first round, each individual serving can be heated in the microwave.This recipe makes about 12 ounces of "virgin" boilo. Add 12 ounces of whiskey to this and you get 24 ounces of coal region nectar, enough for 12-18 servings.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT