ADVERTISEMENT

Boilo recipe

diontechristmas

Sep 3, 2009
Despite being a Lithuanian from Shenandoah I don’t have a go to boilo recipe. My grandma’s recipe is long lost as it wasn’t written down. My Dad is blissfully ignorant of such things has never cooked or mixed a drink. He has had plenty of it but can only list a vague recollection of the recipe. My aunt doesn’t drink the stuff as has no clue either. There are 100 variations, but wondering what you guys think.

For those that may not know the drink consists of ingredients in 4 main categories, but has infinite variations.

- liquid base (some use water, but I believe many use ginger ale or sprite. I’ve also heard of raspberry ginger ale, orange juice and apple cider used as the base)

- citrus/honey (juices and quartered oranges and lemons seem to be ubiquitous. Raisins and honey seem to be added often as well. People that use juices as a base as noted above probably don’t add more citrus or honey so not to make it overly sweet)

-spices (all seem to use cinnamon, with Clove and caraway seed also used)

-booze (four roses is the tradition, but any blended whiskey will do. I know some use shine or grain)

I don’t like my boilo overly sweet, but do enjoy the citrus and spices. I will be using whiskey. Thinking of using ginger ale as the base, with a bunch or oranges and lemons. Cinnamon and Clove for sure with whiskey. Been trying some different things over the last few years and pretty much settled on the above, but suggestions appreciated.

Despite being a Lithuanian from Shenandoah I don’t have a go to boilo recipe. My grandma’s recipe is long lost as it wasn’t written down. My Dad is blissfully ignorant of such things has never cooked or mixed a drink. He has had plenty of it but can only list a vague recollection of the recipe. My aunt doesn’t drink the stuff as has no clue either. There are 100 variations, but wondering what you guys think.

For those that may not know the drink consists of ingredients in 4 main categories, but has infinite variations.

- liquid base (some use water, but I believe many use ginger ale or sprite. I’ve also heard of raspberry ginger ale, orange juice and apple cider used as the base)

- citrus/honey (juices and quartered oranges and lemons seem to be ubiquitous. Raisins and honey seem to be added often as well. People that use juices as a base as noted above probably don’t add more citrus or honey so not to make it overly sweet)

-booze (four roses is the tradition, but any blended whiskey will do. I know some use shine or grain)

I don’t like my boilo overly sweet, but do enjoy the citrus and spices. I will be using whiskey. Thinking of using ginger ale as the base, with a bunch or oranges and lemons. Cinnamon and Clove for sure with whiskey. Been trying some different things over the last few years and pretty much settled on the above, but suggestions appreciated.

Never tried Boilo in my life, and up until my exposure to this board, never even heard of it. Yet, it’s become such a frequent topic on BWI over the years that I can now say that the holidays haven’t officially started until I read about it here.

That said - Happy Holidays everyone!!!

First Boilo post of the season: the holidays have begun!

Never tried Boilo in my life, and up until my exposure to this board, never even heard of it. Yet, it’s become such a frequent topic on BWI over the years that I can now say that the holidays haven’t officially started until I read about it here.

Funny you should say that. Prior to 2002, I didn’t remember having or hearing about it. Made some from a popular recipe here. Was delish.

Funny you should say that. Prior to 2002, I didn’t remember having or hearing about it. Made some from a popular recipe here. Was delish.

I lived near Lehigton for many years and only heard of it on this board. Like death and taxes, there’s the annual thread about it.
Try Southern Tier’s 2Xmas ale. Has many similar ingredients, 8% ABV and is already made

That reminds me. I need to whip up a batch.

Lietuvos sunus

I
don’t like my boilo overly sweet, but do enjoy the citrus and spices. I will be using whiskey. Thinking of using ginger ale as the base, with a bunch or oranges and lemons. Cinnamon and Clove for sure with whiskey. Been trying some different things over the last few years and pretty much settled on the above, but suggestions appreciated.

Just one disagreement - from Eddies (my grandfather) Cafe in Mt Carmel, who was known for the best boilo in the area- Four Queens is the ONLY WHISKEY TO USE.

I lived near Lehigton for many years and only heard of it on this board. Like death and taxes, there’s the annual thread about it.
Try Southern Tier’s 2Xmas ale. Has many similar ingredients, 8% ABV and is already made
Great suggestion. Thanks. I used to mountain bike near there. Excellent.

Go ask Lucky....

It sounds like a concoction I’d put together to give myself the worst hangover of my life

That, or prior to a self-given tattoo.
I actually sort of did that at a bachelor party. Took a huge pull on a stogie and stubbed it out on my arm - have a round spot today with no freckles on that arm. Like an anti-tattoo.

That was about 15 minutes before we got kicked out of the bar for something else I did. Then I puked on the groom - I was sitting in the passenger side going down I-95, threw up and it flew into the back seat.

Born and raised in Lehighton and never heard of boilo til I went to Penn State Hazleton. The cultural differences between Lehighton and points north and west are so oddly unique.

Reactions: Pocono Lion
Born and raised in Lehighton and never heard of boilo til I went to Penn State Hazleton. The cultural differences between Lehighton and points north and west are so oddly unique.

I lived down the road from House of Webb. Not sure if you’re old enough to have known of it. Closer actually to Palmerston than Lehigton.
Our area took its culture from Pa Dutch mostly, so they would not have known of a Lithuanian concoction like that

Speaking of PSU Hazleton, my nephew just got accepted there. Any pointers about the school or area these days would be much appreciated.

Now that the boilo thing started and as a Lithuanian from Shendo, Linksmu Kaledu.

I actually sort of did that at a bachelor party. Took a huge pull on a stogie and stubbed it out on my arm - have a round spot today with no freckles on that arm. Like an anti-tattoo.

That was about 15 minutes before we got kicked out of the bar for something else I did. Then I puked on the groom - I was sitting in the passenger side going down I-95, threw up and it flew into the back seat.
party-gif.1066783

Never had "authentic" boilo, but a guy who used to be part of our tailgates would make a similar concoction for the cold weather games. He would put a pot on the grill, melt cinnamon sticks in it and pour whiskey and add spices to it. He was from NE PA somewhere.

I lived down the road from House of Webb. Not sure if you’re old enough to have known of it. Closer actually to Palmerston than Lehigton.
Our area took its culture from Pa Dutch mostly, so they would not have known of a Lithuanian concoction like that

Speaking of PSU Hazleton, my nephew just got accepted there. Any pointers about the school or area these days would be much appreciated.

Yea dont go into town and have his shopping done at walmart before 8am

Go to RJ's boilo competition. I think Roman's may have one as well. We just made ours. Smooth not gummed up with sweet shit and doesn't burn a wink. The recipe I use came from a Shendo 462 person.

Reactions: Dragons 62
Go to RJ's boilo competition. I think Roman's may have one as well. We just made ours. Smooth not gummed up with sweet shit and doesn't burn a wink. The recipe I use came from a Shendo 462 person.
I’ll get there one of these days. I don’t like it too sweet either. Don’t usually add the honey, but start with ginger ale for some sweetness. Going to be adding lots of citrus and spices.

Even though I work with a bunch of Skooks, I've never had Boilo. Maybe I'll make a batch this year when I make my annual Christmas batch of Coquito.

The Hazleton campus is small but pretty nice. My dad worked there in the maintenance department for almost 20 years so I spent a lot of time there over the years. The dorms used to be pretty nice, but I haven’t been in them in a while so not sure if that’s still the case.

Most of the crime in Hazleton is around people who are doing things they shouldn’t. Buying or selling drugs or other illegal activity. Very unlikely you will get into trouble unless you’re in the ghetto after dark. If your nephew likes the outdoors there is plenty to do. Some nice hiking trails in the area and some good fishing spots. There isn’t much nightlife for someone underage however. The mall is close. It’s not great, but decent enough for a student to pick up some things in a pinch. I would recommend some of the old Hazleton restaurants like Senape’s or Rostas’ for old school Hazleton style bar pizza and other down home Italian food. There is public transportation but it’s not that frequent. He should bring a car if possible.

Lenny, is that you?

I have a foolproof boilo recipe. Start with rye whiskey and then replace all that other crap with a little bit of vermouth.

The Hazleton campus is small but pretty nice. My dad worked there in the maintenance department for almost 20 years so I spent a lot of time there over the years. The dorms used to be pretty nice, but I haven’t been in them in a while so not sure if that’s still the case.

Most of the crime in Hazleton is around people who are doing things they shouldn’t. Buying or selling drugs or other illegal activity. Very unlikely you will get into trouble unless you’re in the ghetto after dark. If your nephew likes the outdoors there is plenty to do. Some nice hiking trails in the area and some good fishing spots. There isn’t much nightlife for someone underage however. The mall is close. It’s not great, but decent enough for a student to pick up some things in a pinch. I would recommend some of the old Hazleton restaurants like Senape’s or Rostas’ for old school Hazleton style bar pizza and other down home Italian food. There is public transportation but it’s not that frequent. He should bring a car if possible.

Many thanks, appreciate the info and will pass it along

Reactions: diontechristmas
Oh yes, familiar with that

Oh yes, familiar with that area as well. Lehighton and Palmerton are much more similar than say Lehighton and Tamaqua. Been 25 years since I was at Hazleton campus but it was nice. North Halls were cool as they were suites with two rooms sharing a bathroom. I wouldn't venture into town that much but otherwise the location is great. Easy access to highways.

Oh yes, familiar with that

Oh yes, familiar with that area as well. Lehighton and Palmerton are much more similar than say Lehighton and Tamaqua. Been 25 years since I was at Hazleton campus but it was nice. North Halls were cool as they were suites with two rooms sharing a bathroom. I wouldn't venture into town that much but otherwise the location is great. Easy access to highways.

We were actually in Trachsville, about 8 miles from Palmerton. Pretty rural when we were there. Not sure how it’s changed as I haven’t been there in a long time.

Lenny, is that you?
I’m actually not at all crazy, but that was a wild night and I was the det cord to it.

The capper before the drive home was when we stumbled over to the VFW Hall near the Penn Campus. The groom and best man were Army Rangers in training, so we thought they’d let us in in our state. Nope - denied at the door.

My brother was the designated driver and somehow had to wrangle us all home. Got the rangers to their motel room which they befouled that night. He then spent about an hour cleaning and hosing the car off so the puke wouldn’t ruin the paint job.

I woke up with the sheet stuck to my arm because the burn blister had popped and oozed. Otherwise, I was right as rain - oh to be 22 again

Reactions: Zenophile
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT