ADVERTISEMENT

Bob Costas predicts the demise of football

Costas is spot on. I've been saying this for several years. Given the recent study on brain injuries, the outlook is dismal. As more and more information comes out, fewer and fewer parents will allow their kids to play football. Unless something drastic changes, it's a dying sport.

But yet they'll give their kids the keys to the family car so they can go out and kill themselves while texting, drinking, or showing off. Go figure.

Football and other sports kept kids like me out of trouble, and focused on training and becoming a better athlete. I've had at least 3 concussions that I know of, and at almost 65, it hasn't affected me a bit.

Reactions: NedFromYork
Linemen suffer concussions.
Not only do they get concussions, but IIRC CTE is worse in cases with repeated hits vs. the occasional big hit. I believe I read that the repetition was a major concern even if the repeated hits were on a much smaller scale.

Reactions: miketd1
Costas is spot on. I've been saying this for several years. Given the recent study on brain injuries, the outlook is dismal. As more and more information comes out, fewer and fewer parents will allow their kids to play football. Unless something drastic changes, it's a dying sport.

Have to think issues of high insurance costs at the HS level will have impact as well...

I played 3 years in HS both ways.Small school, one guy from our team got invited to Bloomsburg and got his knee destroyed.

Don't know of any who suffered brain injuries, and I'm not hearing about dementia of any sort. Most of those guys let/encouraged their kids to play fb, but the fear of CTE and serious orthopedic injuries is keeping their grandkids at home.

This is a non scientific study, but my read is, another generation, maybe two, and we are all done.

I guess this spells the end of the military too. I hear people can get hurt or even killed! As more and more information comes out, fewer and fewer parents will allow their kids to join the military.

Reactions: mtnlion
But yet virtually no one cries to outlaw boxing with repeated shots to an unprotected head are the objective to knock a man out and deaths have occurred in the ring. Boxers suffer brain damage as well and that's gone on for centuries.

Reactions: mtnlion
I guess this spells the end of the military too. I hear people can get hurt or even killed! As more and more information comes out, fewer and fewer parents will allow their kids to join the military.
Football and the military are different. One of them is a game. Sheesh.

That said, you are going to have that problem with an all volunteer force. Stupid wars that get Americans killed for nothing will cause people to vote with their feet.

Reactions: Cpeplion
But yet virtually no one cries to outlaw boxing with repeated shots to an unprotected head are the objective to knock a man out and deaths have occurred in the ring. Boxers suffer brain damage as well and that's gone on for centuries.
Boxing is kind of dying too.

I played 3 years in HS both ways.Small school, one guy from our team got invited to Bloomsburg and got his knee destroyed.

Don't know of any who suffered brain injuries, and I'm not hearing about dementia of any sort. Most of those guys let/encouraged their kids to play fb, but the fear of CTE and serious orthopedic injuries is keeping their grandkids at home.

This is a non scientific study, but my read is, another generation, maybe two, and we are all done.

Or we just see a new brand of football... interesting to watch these 7x7 camps where speed is so emphasized...and though basically a spring sport... interesting to watch what happens with the growth of LaCrosse...

• Careers capped at 6 years.
  • Exceptions for kickers, & punters.
  • Partner with the military to beef up medical and mental treatment facilities. NFL vets share access/coverage with military vets for life.
  • The medical insurance tab is paid for by the NFL/NFLPA if a player plays less than 3 years.
  • If a player plays longer than 3 years, the tab is paid by the last team the player was associated with. (If Carolina wants to field Luke Keuchley, let them be responsible for his post-career health.)
  • Stop softening up the game. The physicality is what makes football the spectacle it is.

I think it was Isaac Newton that came up with the famous formula F=MA. Force equal Mass times Acceleration.

So to reduce the Force, you have to reduce the Mass and the Acceleration.

To reduce the Mass....extensive PED policy with state of the art testing both in NCAA and NFL. Caught one time, out for 2 years just like Olympics. Twice is gone forever.

Acceleration....slow players down. Simple, make them where pads. Not only slows them down, but lessens the hits. Look at players now, knee pads don't exist. Defensive guys don't where thigh pads or hip pads or tailbone pads, some Dlineman barely where shoulder pads. Force every player to where a full set of complete pads that are regulated, so the players don't decide what size, every player essentially wears the same set depending on position and size. This includes rib protection via bodysuit and a full set of pads like you saw back in the 80's. This would greatly reduce injuries seen.

Helmets...probably the #1 thing that needs advancement. Could be done in a heartbeat. Simple to do. NCAA and NFL each put up $10 million to the two main helmet suppliers and say they require a 33% reduction in force of collision in helmets (easily measured with modern technology and they are doing it now) in TWO years. Helmet suppliers would figure it out in no time with some money. Even if the helmets had to get 50% bigger with more padding. Then give another $10 million to 3 Universities and tell them they want a 50-75% reduction in 5-10 years and let some PhD's figure out some new stuff.

Football can be made much safer, but the NCAA and NFL don't want to make is safer as they are concerned it will slow the game down and be less violent. They equate that speed and violence to viewership and viewership is $$$. The NFL owners and NCAA Presidents's and AD's are addicted to the money, it is drug they cannot give up.

Reactions: Chickenman Testa
No helmet in the world can stop a brain from sloshing around in cranial fluid and slamming against the inside of the skull.

That's why I suggested career limits because it's virtually impossible to eliminate concussions. You can, however, reduce risk to a more paletable level by controlling potential exposure.

Reactions: RU31trap
Football and the military are different. One of them is a game. Sheesh.

Did you think that I didn't know that football and the military are different? There are also a lot of similarities, which was the point of my post.

Did you think that I didn't know that football and the military are different? There are also a lot of similarities, which was the point of my post.
Seems that disbanding the US Military might be considered a fair bit different than shutting down a football league.

On the subject of whether we can continue as a country without it, the military is markedly different from the NFL.

How do you know that?
Concussion_Anatomy.png

To be fair, I don't know for certain.

I'm just making the assumption that if one existed, the NFL would be going out of their way to shove it down our throats in an effort to change the current narrative surrounding the game & CTE.

That is patently obvious.

I live in PA. In my area, youth participation rates in full contact football are down 40% to 50%. Many people see no reason to let their 6-12 year old kids play full contact football. There has been a dramatic increase in flag football. Who knows what the future holds.Maybe they'll find a way to diagnose the condition while you're alive. Maybe they'll find a way to significantly reduce the condition. If not, I agree with others that football as we know it will go the way of the dodo.

Youth sports are down across the board. So its not like the kids that 'arent allowed' to play football are jumping to other sports. Your area may be different but flag football has also declined nationally.

In fact one of the reasons all youth sporrs are down is that kids are only playing one sport and not multiple sports.

The biggest factor seems to be the cost of youth sports. Middle income and lower income family participation has fallen significantly while upper income participation has actually increased over the last decade.

Of course the safety of football has always been a concern when it comes to participation. That is the case more than ever today but it doesnt seem to be the biggest factor. At least yet.

Reactions: mtnlion and miketd1
Gladiators would be a huge draw in this country. Football will be with us as long as there is a profit to be made

Concussion_Anatomy.png

To be fair, I don't know for certain.

I'm just making the assumption that if one existed, the NFL would be going out of their way to shove it down our throats in an effort to change the current narrative surrounding the game & CTE.
I agree in principle however there have been many things throughout the course of history that were thought to be impossible that came to fruition. There has been marked improvement with the new Vicis helmet and I think in the long run technology will overcome.

Read a distressing article about a certain high school (can't remember name or where) where the whole league played 8-man football.

Our high school discontinued varsity football and its a large HS.
Lawsuits are coming at the high school level. That is going to be a big issue going forward.

• Careers capped at 6 years.
  • Exceptions for kickers, & punters.
  • Partner with the military to beef up medical and mental treatment facilities. NFL vets share access/coverage with military vets for life.
  • The medical insurance tab is paid for by the NFL/NFLPA if a player plays less than 3 years.
  • If a player plays longer than 3 years, the tab is paid by the last team the player was associated with. (If Carolina wants to field Luke Keuchley, let them be responsible for his post-career health.)
  • Stop softening up the game. The physicality is what makes football the spectacle it is.

Sorry, but NFL players don't deserve the same medical and mental treatment facilities military vets. Plus, if you actually ever been a part of the VA you would know they treat military and their families terribly.

They say it's impossible but I believe at some point they will develop a concussion proof helmet.
I don’t see how that is physically possible. Concussion occurs when the brain hits the inside of the skull. A helmet reduces/distributes the impact point to a larger area. Think of a gallon jug made of titanium. The gallon jug could probably be dropped from a certain height and not sustain damages, but the water inside will still slosh around.

Reactions: miketd1
Like everything else in this world - follow the money. If you start to see lawsuits at HS level, that is it. The plug will be pulled. Taxpayers will not be held responsible for medical bills incurred by HS students. The CTE study that showed it in brains of kids who only played HS was very alarming. I know my boy will not be playing football. He is 2. They probably won’t even have it by the time he comes of age

Reactions: Nitt1300
Sorry, but NFL players don't deserve the same medical and mental treatment facilities military vets. Plus, if you actually ever been a part of the VA you would know they treat military and their families terribly.

I respect your opinion, but disagree. You deserve good healthcare regardless of your background. It just so happens that the NFL is a massive profit center and underfunded veteran facilities could really use funding that a potential crossover partnership could bring.

Obviously there are no guarantees, but hopefully with more money, the service level improves.

Anyway, that was just one bullet-point. The main gist of my original post was to put a cap on how long you can play.

The quality of VA care varies by location. It should be good everywhere, but it's actually very good where I am in New England

I think it was Isaac Newton that came up with the famous formula F=MA. Force equal Mass times Acceleration.

So to reduce the Force, you have to reduce the Mass and the Acceleration.

Since we are talking about a constant mass, you are correct.

Newton's second law is that force is equal to the rate of change of the momentum. Momentum is equal to Mass x Velocity. If mass is constant, then you have F=M(dV/dt). Since the change in velocity over time is the acceleration, you have F=MA.

Teach the right & proper way to tackle: wrap your arms around the ball carrier's legs and squeeze. When you have a 5'9'' 190 lb corner coming up to tackle a 6'2'' 220 lb+ runner, the only way to take him down is to take his legs out from him. How many times have we seen a defender try to be a tough guy and try to take him down with his shoulder only to have the ball carrier just bounce off him & keep going. Wrap your arms around his legs, put your helmet in his naval and he isn't going anywhere.

Seems that disbanding the US Military might be considered a fair bit different than shutting down a football league.

On the subject of whether we can continue as a country without it, the military is markedly different from the NFL.

I completely understand that there are differences, you don't have to keep pointing them out. They are also some similarities. Both are career choices that are potentially dangerous and potentially rewarding.

I am in favor of changing the helmet, but, the old leather ones are not the answer. To increase interest and, therefore, revenues which are necessary to fend off the inevitable lawsuits; we need a complete change in the paradigm. Imagine the buzz generated by the revolutionary Schutt "Pickelhaube 2020" (see illustration below). These actually replaced leather helmets in the field and it would be a travesty to make such a step backwards again as we try to make the game we love safer! ;)
main-qimg-c640a590a050e421c9693295e92ba740-c
Alternate uniform for the SPitt games? :oops:

Reactions: Nittany Ziggy
A lot of the new rules are helping a lot, a lot less devasting injuries. Before it was a weekly occurrence to see a motionless WR and in the NFL a quarterback was knocked out with a broken this or that every week. Keep making these changes and it will be fine, at least CFB will be fine. The NFL as some other problems.

Those are the big hits. The problem is the thousands of little hits that happen during practice and games. The impact of two huge guys that can run bounces the brain against the inside of the skull and bruises it. We aren't even necessarily talking about a hit to the head or shoulders. Any contact that causes a sudden changed in direction will do.

Reactions: Lion Lineage
Like everything else in this world - follow the money. If you start to see lawsuits at HS level, that is it. The plug will be pulled. Taxpayers will not be held responsible for medical bills incurred by HS students. The CTE study that showed it in brains of kids who only played HS was very alarming. I know my boy will not be playing football. He is 2. They probably won’t even have it by the time he comes of age

But I bet you'll let him drive your car. My guess is you won't be with him most of the time.

Maybe he'll get drunk. Maybe he will try to show off. Maybe he will try to text someone and kill himself. Heck. Unlike the football field, not only might he kill himself, he might kill some innocent grandmother or some innocent Family driving to church.

Over 2,300 kids between 16 and 19 were killed in car accidents in 2015 alone. Over 221,000 in that age group went to emergency rooms. Over 3 times the National average. I didn't bother to look up all the additional innocent people they killed or injured.

Football and other sports kept crazy kids like me off the road. I was a hundred percent safer on the football field than I was in a car at that age. Plus it taught me the discipline and gave me the self esteem I needed at that age to have no need to show off or get in trouble. Cars do just the opposite.

Wheras most parents aren't supervising their kids in their cars, when a kid is on the football field, he is being supervised all the time. If I have a choice of my son being out in a car at night, or on a football field, I'll take the football field every time.

But I bet you'll let him drive your car. My guess is you won't be with him most of the time.

Maybe he'll get drunk. Maybe he will try to show off. Maybe he will try to text someone and kill himself. Heck. Unlike the football field, not only might he kill himself, he might kill some innocent grandmother or some innocent Family driving to church.

Over 2,300 kids between 16 and 19 were killed in car accidents in 2015 alone. Over 221,000 in that age group went to emergency rooms. Over 3 times the National average. I didn't bother to look up all the additional innocent people they killed or injured.

Football and other sports kept crazy kids like me off the road. I was a hundred percent safer on the football field than I was in a car at that age. Plus it taught me the discipline and gave me the self esteem I needed at that age to have no need to show off or get in trouble. Cars do just the opposite.

Wheras most parents aren't supervising their kids in their cars, when a kid is on the football field, he is being supervised all the time. If I have a choice of my son being out in a car at night, or on a football field, I'll take the football field every time.
It's not either or. It is cumulative. Chances are he'll need to drive in order to work.

Reactions: Nitwit97

Very well said.

It's not either or. It is cumulative. Chances are he'll need to drive in order to work.

Fine. That's probably not the trip that's going to kill someone.

What happens when he's given the keys to drive to the prom? You take his picture with his hot date, his Mom gives him a kiss on the cheek, and you both tell him to have a good time.

Next thing you know, the police are at your door telling you your car was wrapped around a tree with both him and his date in it. You have to ID the bodies because they are unrecognizable. Smell of alcohol everywhere. Speedometer broken at 90 mph.

Let me tell you something. I'm just as guilty as the next guy. I might give him those keys. But if you don't think I'm a quadrillion times more nervous about him in that car unsupervised than I am with him on the football field getting tackled or tackling someone else, you're crazy.

You said you played football. And you are almost as old as me (not quite :)). Where have you come closer to being killed in your life? In your car? Or on the football field?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT