ADVERTISEMENT

Big ten east standings

Do we go to the B1G Champ Game in this scenario?

OSU beats MSU but loses to Michigan - 9-3 - 2 conf. losses
Michigan beats Wisconsin and OSU - 10-2 - 2 conf. losses
MSU loses to OSU - 9-3 - 2 conf. losses
PSU wins out - 10-2 - 2 conf. losses

Do we go to the B1G Champ Game in this scenario?

OSU beats MSU but loses to Michigan - 9-3 - 2 conf. losses
Michigan beats Wisconsin and OSU - 10-2 - 2 conf. losses
MSU loses to OSU - 9-3 - 2 conf. losses
PSU wins out - 10-2 - 2 conf. losses

There is no scenario in which UM or PSU can win a tie breaker.

Only way PSU can go is if MSU and OSU both end up having 3 conference losses.

So in reality, it’s over and winner of MSU vs OSU will be in Indy.

Reactions: Mudge1026
OSU and MSU need to lose 2 more conference games each for PSU to make it to the championship game... that is all but not going to happen:

remaining games:
MSU
@ OSU - potential loss
MD - win
@Rutgers - win

OSU
MSU - potential win
Illinois - win
@Michigan - 50/50

PSU
RUT - win
NEB - win
@MD - win

Winner of MSU/OSU will most likely be Big Ten East Champion... we HAD to beat MSU for any shot... we failed... we're not going.

There is no scenario in which UM or PSU can win a tie breaker.

Only way PSU can go is if MSU and OSU both end up having 3 conference losses.

So in reality, it’s over and winner of MSU vs OSU will be in Indy.

Honestly trying to understand here so not trying to argue.

Per the B1G wiki:
On September 1, 2011, the Big Ten Conference announced the divisional tiebreaker procedures that will be used to determine the representatives in the championship game.[18] Division standings are based on each team's overall conference record.
- In the scenario all three teams would have the same conference record. Leading to the "Three or more-team tiebreaker procedure"
If only two teams remain after any of the following steps, the tiebreaker will revert to the two-team tiebreaker above.

1. The records of the three tied teams will be compared against each other. - In the scenario PSU and UM would have the highest record reverting back to the two-team tiebreaker.
  2. The records of the three tied teams will be compared within their division.
  3. The records of the three tied teams will be compared against the next highest placed teams in their division in order of finish (4, 5, and 6).
  4. The records of the three tied teams will be compared against all common conference opponents.
  5. The team with the best overall winning percentage (excluding exempted games) will be the representative.
  6. The representative will be chosen by random draw.

I love the state of Michigan when I vacation there each summer for two weeks.
And, I would love to see the state of Michigan be cheering victories over ohowihate in the next three weeks.

OL

Honestly trying to understand here so not trying to argue.

Per the B1G wiki:
On September 1, 2011, the Big Ten Conference announced the divisional tiebreaker procedures that will be used to determine the representatives in the championship game.[18] Division standings are based on each team's overall conference record.
- In the scenario all three teams would have the same conference record. Leading to the "Three or more-team tiebreaker procedure"
If only two teams remain after any of the following steps, the tiebreaker will revert to the two-team tiebreaker above.

1. The records of the three tied teams will be compared against each other. - In the scenario PSU and UM would have the highest record reverting back to the two-team tiebreaker.
  2. The records of the three tied teams will be compared within their division.
  3. The records of the three tied teams will be compared against the next highest placed teams in their division in order of finish (4, 5, and 6).
  4. The records of the three tied teams will be compared against all common conference opponents.
  5. The team with the best overall winning percentage (excluding exempted games) will be the representative.
  6. The representative will be chosen by random draw.

It's wordly weirdly I admit but people keep misunderstanding. It's not your overall record compared against each other. It's your head to head.

OSU would be 2-1. MSU would be 2-1. PSU would be 1-2. UM would be 1-2.

OSU would then advance.

As Spartan said the only way we get there is if 1 of the following two happens:

a) Ohio State beats Michigan State but then loses to Illinois and Michigan.
b) Michigan State beats Ohio State but then loses to Rutgers and Maryland

The chance of either of those happening is probably 0.00000001%

50/50
OSU and MSU need to lose 2 more conference games each for PSU to make it to the championship game... that is all but not going to happen:

remaining games:
MSU
@ OSU - potential loss
MD - win
@Rutgers - win

OSU
MSU - potential win
Illinois - win
@Michigan - 50/50

PSU
RUT - win
NEB - win
@MD - win

Winner of MSU/OSU will most likely be Big Ten East Champion... we HAD to beat MSU for any shot... we failed... we're not going.

We need MSU to lose two more games... I can agree that it's not the likely scenario, however, I'm not so sure we're not in the midst of a season that isn't through with being unpredictable. Look at Iowa and Northwestern getting hot, remember we were just beat by an MSU team that lost to NW who we beat 33-7.

You don't think there is ANY chance that MSU beats Ohio State, then comes home and struggles out of the gate early against MD? A team that wouldn't be given a shot, which is exactly why Sparty would over

-- Updated you your initial chart

remaining games:
MSU
@ OSU - 50/50 - Will be very interesting to see how these teams come out of the tunnel.
MD - potential win
@Rutgers - potential win

OSU
MSU - 50/50
Illinois - win
@Michigan - 50/50

PSU
RUT - win
NEB - win
@MD - potential win - I could see us struggling on the road.

--
So IF, there's a three-way tie and Michigan State, Ohio State, and Penn State are all 6-2

I'm not saying it's likely this will happen but felt the need to address the doom and gloom aura of your post. Saying "We HAD to beat MSU for any shot... we failed... we're not going" is not a fact, it's an opinion.

It's wordly weirdly I admit but people keep misunderstanding. It's not your overall record compared against each other. It's your head to head.

OSU would then advance.

Yep. My UM co workers said Friday they wanted PSU and OSU to lose so maybe they could sneak in but they are in same boat as you. Can’t win a tie breaker. Plus they aren’t winning out.

50/50

We need MSU to lose two more games... I can agree that it's not the likely scenario, however, I'm not so sure we're not in the midst of a season that isn't through with being unpredictable. Look at Iowa and Northwestern getting hot, remember we were just beat by an MSU team that lost to NW who we beat 33-7.

You don't think there is ANY chance that MSU beats Ohio State, then comes home and struggles out of the gate early against MD? A team that wouldn't be given a shot, which is exactly why Sparty would over

remaining games:
MSU
@ OSU - 50/50 - Will be very interesting to see how these teams come out of the tunnel.
MD - potential win
@Rutgers - potential win

OSU
MSU - 50/50
Illinois - win
@Michigan - 50/50

PSU
RUT - win
NEB - win

--
So IF, there's a three-way tie and Michigan State, Ohio State, and Penn State are all 6-2

I'm not saying it's likely this will happen but felt the need to address the doom and gloom aura of your post. Saying "We HAD to beat MSU for any shot... we failed... we're not going" is not a fact, it's an opinion.

If there's a 3 way tie between the teams you mentioned ... MSU would be 2-0, OSU 1-1, PSU 0-2. MSU then advances.

50/50

remaining games:
MSU
MD - potential win
@Rutgers - potential win

OSU
MSU - 50/50
Illinois - win
@Michigan - 50/50

PSU
RUT - win
NEB - win

--

If MSU beats OSU, they’d have to lose to MD AND RU in order to not win the East. OSU would also need to lose again.

If OSU beats MSU, they’d have to lose to ILL AND UM to not win the East. MSU would also have to lose again.

These are the only possible scenarios where PSU can win the East.

Reactions: NittanyLion15
If MSU beats OSU, they’d have to lose to MD AND RU in order to not win the East. OSU would also need to lose again.

If OSU beats MSU, they’d have to lose to ILL AND UM to not win the East. MSU would also have to lose again.

These are the only possible scenarios where PSU can win the East.

Kinda funny to see just how many times you have to explain it to folks before they'll get it lol

OSU would then advance.

... well if it all comes down to MSU at Rutgers, we should make sure the Scarlet Knights have their crowd volume amped up.

Kinda funny to see just how many times you have to explain it to folks before they'll get it lol

I appreciate your first explanation that the wording was poor and it made sense after you explained.

I didn't appreciate the quoted remark. I've only heard people say over and over we need OSU and MSU to lose 2 more, but when looking at the wiki that didn't jive with how it was written. No need for putting others down that are looking for answers.

... well if it all comes down to MSU at Rutgers, we should make sure the Scarlet Knights have their crowd volume amped up.

Could you imagine if losing to Rutgers on the final weekend kept one of the big name teams in the East out of the title game?

The meltdown would be beyond epic.

Outstanding point!!!!! Hmmmm. Got to think about that instead of going to Maryland if it comes down to that.

I like our chances at College Park exponentially more than Rutgers chances against Michigan State. Maybe we should make sure High Point is filled up with Penn State fans if it comes down to that and scream our lungs out, because I doubt if Rutgers fans are going to give a crap by then.

I wouldn't mind rooting for Rutgers one frickin bit if it meant we could win the Conference.

Outstanding point!!!!! Hmmmm. Got to think about that instead of going to Maryland if it comes down to that.

I like our chances at College Park exponentially more than Rutgers chances against Michigan State. Maybe we should make sure High Point is filled up with Penn State fans if it comes down to that and scream our lungs out, because I doubt if Rutgers fans are going to give a crap by then.

I wouldn't mind rooting for Rutgers one frickin bit if it meant we could win the Conference.

Exactly. If UM beating OSU somehow meant MSU would win the East (this could have been the scenario if we beat NW, lost to OSU, then needed a second OSU L to get in) I'd be singing The Victors all game long.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT