ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten Commissioner to meet with Michigan President Friday

I wouldn’t hold my breath. The Michigan prez appears to be totally ok with what’s gone on so far. He certainly hasn’t stepped in to act. I’m sure he’ll plead for waiting until the ncaa investigation is done.

We’ll see what Petitti is made of when the final decision is made. From the early reporting, he appeared to have some weak knees as his initial reaction.

Whatever is decided, Michigan fans will be upset that it’s too harsh and the rest of the league will be upset that it’s not harsh enough.

Last edited:
Since when does a commissioner publicize a meet with a university president about football cheating? That in itself is deplorable and tells you all you need to know.
Nichole is a MI alum and has her contacts.

Last edited:
Reactions: blmr31
I agree with Pate's take on the likely outcome. Petitti is a TV guy, he's going to do everything he can to avoid harming the TV product, which means avoiding punishing them in real time.

Only tangentially related, but if you had a given first name that coincidentally meant something very different in the language of the people where you lived (e.g. your first name was Santa) don't you'd think you'd consider going by your middle name or Sam or something?

I work with a guy whose last name is slang for penis in the local language of a place we work. He just introduces himself as "First Name, Last Initial" because otherwise the snickering is distracting.

Reactions: psu00
Only tangentially related, but if you had a given first name that coincidentally meant something very different in the language of the people where you lived (e.g. your first name was Santa) don't you'd think you'd consider going by your middle name or Sam or something?

I work with a guy whose last name is slang for penis in the local language of a place we work. He just introduces himself as "First Name, Last Initial" because otherwise the snickering is distracting.

As we head into the Christmas season, I can just imagine the parodies that will be done over the Michigan cheating scandal with their president named Santa Ono. ;)

What’s the word/language/location? These kind of lessons are why I post here.

Reactions: psu00 and gogolion
100% we did--and we asked for sanctions
To be fair, the phone call went like this: Emmert -- "Your choice is, either we give you the death penalty or you can accept the harshest penalties we have ever invented" Penn State -- "We'll take the sanctions!"

Reactions: fbh1
I wouldn’t hold my breath. The Michigan prez appears to be totally ok with what’s gone on so far. He certainly hasn’t stepped in to act. I’m sure he’ll plead for waiting until the ncaa investigation is done.

We’ll see what Petitti is made of when the final decision is made. From the early reporting, he appeared to have some weak knees as his initial reaction.

Whatever is decided, Michigan fans will be upset that it’s too harsh and the rest of the league will be upset that it’s not harsh enough.

Keep in mind, the Big Ten commissioner works for the Michigan president, not the other way around. They are on the same team. The goal is how to put the scandal in the past and minimize impact on the Michigan program.

I suspect the solution will be something along the lines of Harbaugh making a statement of regret and promising not to cheat any more and maybe donating 50 bucks to the Ann Arbor youth flag football league.

Reactions: bluehair666
I think Harbaugh was headed to the NFL anyway. He may offer to step down and give the appearance of a penalty but, in reality, there will be little to no penalty on Michigan in the end.

• Haha

Who cares what scUM fans think - their school is involved in what is likely the most sophisticated, and complex, cheating scheme the sports world has ever seen. scUM has taken an institutionalized, dedicated effort of significant size to literally illegally steal double-digit opponents' playbooks and matching signals. The enormity of this scheme shows you the true "win regardless of means" (including blatant cheating) that MeCheatAgain stands for.

Who cares what scUM fans think - their school is involved in what is likely the most sophisticated, and complex, cheating scheme the sports world has ever seen. scUM has taken an institutionalized, dedicated effort of significant size to literally illegally steal double-digit opponents' playbooks and matching signals. The enormity of this scheme shows you the true "win regardless of means" (including blatant cheating) that MeCheatAgain stands for.
Even better is reading the "no big deal" people who are calling for light suspension or nothing at all in the way of consequences.

Do people really want no rules at all? Do they want the wild west out here as far as guidelines to protect competition? How about sneaking in and bugging the coaches' room? Perhaps kidnapping and extortion? To ignore this stuff is to de-legitimize all concept of honest competition.

Whether or not an advantage is gained is irrelevant. If a pitcher is loading up the ball with grease and he gives up three HR in an inning, it's still cheating and if he gets caught he's getting thrown out of the game, plus whatever else may come down from the league. These reactions from some people are just bizarre.

What’s the word/language/location? These kind of lessons are why I post here.
I'd prefer not to say as it is specific enough (i.e. you'd find the guys name pretty easily I think) that I don't want to dox anyone (including myself).

His name is Italian and the language of the slang term is about as far from Italian as you can get.

Of course - they're the self-proclaimed "Harvard of the Midwest." Everybody is below them.

• Haha
The integrity of the game affects the long-term "TV product." He has to do something substantial or else the rest of the season becomes tainted. Honestly, it's not apples to apples comparison...but in the public's eyes, letting UM go unpunished would have been like letting PSU go unpunished for its scandal.

A post-season ban and suspensions to Harbaugh and his coordinators does a few important things.

1. Keeps the majority of the Big Ten's post-season chances open. Yes, it loses one of its top products from the TV lineup, but other "untainted" teams get those slots. (It's a strange year that our fourth best team might be no better than 8-4...but it still moves everyone up the

2. Challenges Michigan's current team by removing (supposedly) their best coaches for the final four games. Suspensions keep you from major lawsuits, whereas firings could put the conference on the hook for bigger legal fees.

More can be added later (scholarship reductions, vacated wins, etc.) but those don't affect the fairness of the current season. A vacated win from their Rutgers game earlier this year, for example, doesn't literally give Rutgers another win this year...just removes the win from Michigan. (At least that's my understanding of vacated wins from past USC, PSU, Miami scandals...)

Reactions: Obliviax and GSPMax
To be fair, the phone call went like this: Emmert -- "Your choice is, either we give you the death penalty or you can accept the harshest penalties we have ever invented" Penn State -- "We'll take the sanctions!"

The phone call more likely went like this:

PSU: "NCAA, please give us harsh penalties so we can look justified in firing Paterno even thought he acted appropriately. But make it seem like we are negotiated for something lesser."

Emmert: "Wow, someone is being silly enough to just let me sanction them even though I have no authority? Awesome, I'll do whatever you want"

The integrity of the game affects the long-term "TV product." He has to do something substantial or else the rest of the season becomes tainted. Honestly, it's not apples to apples comparison...but in the public's eyes, letting UM go unpunished would have been like letting PSU go unpunished for its scandal.

A post-season ban and suspensions to Harbaugh and his coordinators does a few important things.

1. Keeps the majority of the Big Ten's post-season chances open. Yes, it loses one of its top products from the TV lineup, but other "untainted" teams get those slots. (It's a strange year that our fourth best team might be no better than 8-4...but it still moves everyone up the

2. Challenges Michigan's current team by removing (supposedly) their best coaches for the final four games. Suspensions keep you from major lawsuits, whereas firings could put the conference on the hook for bigger legal fees.

More can be added later (scholarship reductions, vacated wins, etc.) but those don't affect the fairness of the current season. A vacated win from their Rutgers game earlier this year, for example, doesn't literally give Rutgers another win this year...just removes the win from Michigan. (At least that's my understanding of vacated wins from past USC, PSU, Miami scandals...)
The whole fear of lawsuits if they act quickly seems overblown. If UM players were to sue B10, wouldn't the B10 also have the opportunity for discovery. Is UM going to be totally cool with the prospects of that?

Reactions: psu00

Agree...especially when you add in that College football has recently bought into the gambling culture. Cheating may well have a direct financial motive.

Reactions: wilbury and GSPMax
Maybe I think it's more like
Emmert..."We're in a really bad spot here due to public opinion and feel like we need to take action."
Penn State "we agree and we'll sign off on anything"

Agree...especially when you add in that College football has recently bought into the gambling culture. Cheating may well have a direct financial motive.
Exactly - there's the definite possibility that there's a gambling tie here.

• Haha
The phone call more likely went like this:

PSU: "NCAA, please give us harsh penalties so we can look justified in firing Paterno even thought he acted appropriately. But make it seem like we are negotiated for something lesser."

Emmert: "Wow, someone is being silly enough to just let me sanction them even though I have no authority? Awesome, I'll do whatever you want"
Correct and the PSU position was driven by the multi-million dollar contract they had with a PR firm. Essentially telling PSU that their best approach was to suffer or appear to suffer as much as possible.

In this day and age of nil, loss of scholarships for the upper p5 schools is meaningless. The boosters will step up with tuition, room, board and spending money.

Also the President shouldn’t step in and act until investigation. Same thing that should have happened with PSU but unfortunately their higher ups didn’t play it that way. My opinion at least.

Also the President shouldn’t step in and act until investigation. Same thing that should have happened with PSU but unfortunately their higher ups didn’t play it that way. My opinion at least.
normally I'd agree. the problem here is that by not acting, they are extending the damage of the cheating. If they let UM play, and potentially win a Natty, who cares if two years from now they go back and strip the Natty trophy from their trophy case?

normally I'd agree. the problem here is that by not acting, they are extending the damage of the cheating. If they let UM play, and potentially win a Natty, who cares if two years from now they go back and strip the Natty trophy from their trophy case?
I was speaking about the UM President. Just my opinion tho

Reactions: Obliviax
The whole fear of lawsuits if they act quickly seems overblown. If UM players were to sue B10, wouldn't the B10 also have the opportunity for discovery. Is UM going to be totally cool with the prospects of that?
How about the opposing player, coaches, universities sue as they are victims. Oh the poor UM players.

• Haha
Correct--pretty much no one cares but it's hard to rush something and that's what is being asked. The NCAA almost has to complete it's investigation first unless Michigan decides to act.

I couldn't be wrong but does discovery matter if it's done to delay/avoid sanctions?
It's not like they're going to sue them without the Big Ten threating action so what additional impact is had. It just delays it a year or more.

you all are stupid, suggesting penalties that have never been given out before in season...yeah, that won't end up getting immediately litigated

lol, Fox Sports would beat them to the courthouse...and there wouldn't have to be a lawsuit, just an immediate injunction from a friendly judge to stop any ban

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT