ADVERTISEMENT

Big picture...

tboyer

Sep 25, 2002
I know this point has been made elsewhere, but football programs take a really long time to build.

I just want to offer Mark Dantonio as an example. His third season at MSU they went 6-7 and losing in really stupid coach-is-at-fault kinds of ways. He was breaking down at press conferences and it looked like his days were numbered. The following season they went 11-1 and that was the turning point. Now that program is rock solid and going to be a contender every year. This is his NINTH season.

I'm not saying fans don't have right to be unhappy, or that Franklin and Donovan don't deserve to get roasted a bit for that dreadful performance. But I'm hanging in there, I'm happy to give Franklin (not Donovan, but Franklin) 5 years or 8 years or whatever it takes. If you really want PSU to be great, you have no choice, that's how long it may take.

Even if Franklin isn't much of an Xs or Os guy -- that is not really necessary. That is why you have an OC and you let him run the offense. (And if your OC can't do it, you replace him). Franklin has already proven he can run a program, he can be the public face, he can recruit. And the on the field part is going to be there. It may take time, it may take more time than people want to wait. But it will happen.

5 years. Like it or not, you have to give a new coach at least 5. That gives a full recruiting class and the red-shirt year. After that, it's open season.

One of the biggest keys for MSU was getting enough solid players to have the depth that was required to compete on a consistent basis.
It took them time but they got there.
PSU has been and still is in a miserable position depth wise, and at least 2-3 years away (assuming things go well) from having the required depth.
Still no excuse for losing to Temple.

I agree with the long term potential. Nick Saban isn't a great offensive genius. He is a great recruiter, has a fantastic defensive coordinator, and all the financial support/facilities one could ask for. He gets buy with great individual talent on the offensive side of the ball and which ever offensive coach is there at the time. I think this sounds a great deal like the Penn State situation, we have the recruiter, defensive coordinator, and support. We just need to get the talent and offensive coaching up to speed. I hope this happens soon enough for CJF to stick around, as I think he's going to be maybe one of the top 4 or 5 coaches in the country one day (considering, persona, recruiting, doing things the right way, etc.).

I know this point has been made elsewhere, but football programs take a really long time to build.

I just want to offer Mark Dantonio as an example. His third season at MSU they went 6-7 and losing in really stupid coach-is-at-fault kinds of ways. He was breaking down at press conferences and it looked like his days were numbered. The following season they went 11-1 and that was the turning point. Now that program is rock solid and going to be a contender every year. This is his NINTH season.

I'm not saying fans don't have right to be unhappy, or that Franklin and Donovan don't deserve to get roasted a bit for that dreadful performance. But I'm hanging in there, I'm happy to give Franklin (not Donovan, but Franklin) 5 years or 8 years or whatever it takes. If you really want PSU to be great, you have no choice, that's how long it may take.

Even if Franklin isn't much of an Xs or Os guy -- that is not really necessary. That is why you have an OC and you let him run the offense. (And if your OC can't do it, you replace him). Franklin has already proven he can run a program, he can be the public face, he can recruit. And the on the field part is going to be there. It may take time, it may take more time than people want to wait. But it will happen.
Franklins ultimate success or failure will depend on his ability to cut loose his underperforming friends. Let's face it, it was unlikely that entire Vandy staff was going to be able to thrive in an environment like PSU. None of them have ever been on a big stage before and none of them have impressive resumes. Some will turn out to be gems and others will not be able to cut it.

It is not going to be easy for Franklin to fire them, but if he can't he will fail at PSU no matter how he recruits.

Reactions: Ranger Dan

Although I agree with you. I am not in the mood for a reality check right now.

I agree that a college head coach doesn't need to be a X&O tactician. He needs to recruit and be a CEO. They must be able to make difficult decisions with the coaching staff and replacing people that are inadequate. If they will not make these changes, they will be fired.

I get the feeling Franklin is very loyal. If the offense doesn't improve much it will be interesting to see what he does. He sure is an excellent recruiter and face for the University

It's not just wins and losses but how you lose...and sometimes how you win. Dantonio went 9-4 in his second season then 6-7 in third. According to wiki, 5 losses came after MSU lead in the 4th qtr. His fourth season, MSU went 11-1 in regular season. What we need in consistency on strategy and execution. We can play tough and lose ( ala OSU last year) and that is acceptable given state of program but this past weekend we just got a$$-whooped by Temple. Tough drops, TOs or special team mistakes that cost you a victory, can be corrected. Having fundamental blocking problems and terrible play calling and execution are serious concerns about leadership and confidence, starting at top then filtering down. That is almost never correctable until replaced. Take note of this one.

I would hope that If Barron & Barbour care about the athletic department at the end of the season they would not give Franklin the option of retaining the OC & some offensive coaches. The athletic department would be in big trouble if Beaver Stadium was empty.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT