ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball BIG 10 CHAMPIONSHIP: PENN STATE VS PURDUE PREVIEW AND GAME THREAD - 3:30 PM - CBS

yeah...its pretty bad. I try not to get paranoid but this was about the worst possible seed given the reality of the situation. I guess we just have to win.
Eventually, you have to beat top teams. Playing better teams early is good. After we beat TAMU, other teams will be even more disadvantaged. The Lions are a unique match up. Let's make PSU a basketball 🏀 school.

Eventually, you have to beat top teams. Playing better teams early is good. After we beat TAMU, other teams will be even more disadvantaged. The Lions are a unique match up. Let's make PSU a basketball 🏀 school.
Yes and no. If you want to win, you have to beat good teams. But it would have been nice to play a mediocre team and advance than to play a very good SEC team at a ridiculous time of night. Just to give you an idea of how bad this is here are the four 7th seeds:

• NW, #7 seed, 21-11, play at 7:35 pm
  • MSU, #7 seed, 19-11, play at 12:15 pm
  • Missouri #7 seed, 24-9, play at 1:40 pm
  • TAMU #7 seed, 25 - 9
TAMU beat Missouri and came in second in the SEC while Missouri was 4th. In conference, TAMU was 15-3 while Missouri was 11-7.

So TAMU has 4-6 more wins than two of the other 7 seeds and beat the other 7 seed head-to-head while finishing much better in their conference.

Yes and no. If you want to win, you have to beat good teams. But it would have been nice to play a mediocre team and advance than to play a very good SEC team at a ridiculous time of night. Just to give you an idea of how bad this is here are the four 7th seeds:

• TAMU #7 seed, 25 - 9
TAMU beat Missouri and came in second in the SEC while Missouri was 4th. In conference, TAMU was 15-3 while Missouri was 11-7.

So TAMU has 4-6 more wins than two of the other 7 seeds and beat the other 7 seed head-to-head while finishing much better in their conference.
will any of that matter after tip-off?

will any of that matter after tip-off?
Yes...of course

1. PSU got a very tough draw
  2. that means that it is less likely to get a second game
  3. that means less exposure
  4. playing that late means even less exposure
  5. that means less PR
  6. less exposure means less leverage with recruits, parents, NIL, and a way to leverage this for a better future
  7. means it is more likely to continue to get awful brackets, matchups and times for future tournaments
  8. that means more likely we lose the HC
  9. that means the more likely we drop back into the same old PSU basketball moving forward
This is how programs are built. I am playing 3D chess, you are playing checkers. It isn't about this one game.

Reactions: Online Persona
Yes...of course

5. that means less PR
  6. less exposure means less leverage with recruits, parents, NIL, and a way to leverage this for a better future
  7. means it is more likely to continue to get awful brackets, matchups and times for future tournaments
  9. that means the more likely we drop back into the same old PSU basketball moving forward
This is how programs are built. I am playing 3D chess, you are playing checkers. It isn't about this one game.
it is not clear to me whether Texas A&M is a tough draw for us

and if we can somehow get through Texas I am not entirely sure that we'll have to face the 3-seed in the S16. if that is correct we may have a path to the elite 8 and the top half of the bracket has a couple of teams we have already beaten, one of them multiple times. the other teams there also don't look as intimidating as some of the other regions

so i don't agree that we got a bad draw. The 7/10 game that Northwestern got is a bad draw. we would have no path after the 1st game if we were there

• TAMU #7 seed, 25 - 9

Ya but Texas A&M was only 8-5 out of conference with losses to Colorado, Murray State, Boise State, Memphis, Wofford. Maybe the SEC isn't that good

I think Thursday's win over Illinois was considered but probably not Friday's win over Northwestern and definitely not last night's win over Indiana.

That just doesn't seem right. PSU won 22 games, 7 quad 1, and came down to a final possession over #1 Purdue.

Iowa had 19 wins and 4 quad 1 wins. They're an 8 seed.

Michigan state had 19 wins, 5 quad 1 wins, and they're a 7 seed.

Illinois won 20 games, only 2 quad 1 wins, we beat them THREE times, and they're a 9 seed.

Indiana had 22 wins like PSU but they only had 5 quad 1 wins and we beat them head to head TWICE.

As far as games we should have won I think the 2 losses to Wisconsin plus the Nebraska loss at home hurt most. Rutgers hurt because we blew a large lead.
Overall I am in agreement but I think this is the deal.

First, these conference tournament games don't matter much except to pull a team that is on the bubble into the Dance but that is it. No opportunity to move up the seed line beyond that. So these teams like Maryland, Illinois, Mich State, Indiana were all safely in the Dance prior to the start of the conference tournament. That is why you have them all ahead of PSU in terms of a higher seed. It doesn't matter that we beat Illinois, NW and IU unless they were on the bubble going into the conference tournament and we knocked them out. We could have beaten all 3 by 50 and they still stay seeded higher than us. Fair? Questionable but that is how they do it. The regular season results are weighted much more heavily than a conference tournament and I don't think they look even at head to head that much.

Second, our out of conference wins were lame, all ho hum. The two big opportunities we had at Va Tech and at Clemson we lose and both of them didn't even make the Dance. That is not good and dogged us all season. Illinois beat both UCLA and Texas (now both 2 seeds). That is gigantic and created a ton of separation versus us on the Net rankings or whatever.

Third, we lost to Wisconsin at home and Rutgers at home. Non tourney teams, bad losses. We also lost to Nebraska on the road another non tourney team and maybe not NIT either.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Yes...of course

5. that means less PR
Run for your lives! We're all going to die! Mary says we win this game

I love the enthusiasm Mary but having the ability to improve the program based on this teams incredible accomplishments was eroded by having a shitty time slot.
Would playing during the afternoon on a Thursday have been better? I’d say this is clearly the second best slot to get.

Would playing during the afternoon on a Thursday have been better? I’d say this is clearly the second best slot to get.
for the team or fans? For the team, IDK, nobody does. Do they sleep all day? Both teams have to deal with it.

For the fans it sucks. And I think the slot really hurt PSUs chances to showcase the program.

Last edited:
for the team or fans? For the team, IDK, nobody does. Do they sleep all day? Both teams have to deal with it.

For the fans it sucks. And I think the slot really hurt PSUs chances to showcase the program.
You get top exposure by beating a top team. This seed is a blessing

You get top exposure by beating a top team. This seed is a blessing
well, I don't see things as black/white, on/off, yes/no.

Of course, the kids accomplished a ton and should feel great about themselves. But it is a missed opportunity in terms of building the program. May be not "missed" but "eroded".

it is not clear to me whether Texas A&M is a tough draw for us

and if we can somehow get through Texas I am not entirely sure that we'll have to face the 3-seed in the S16. if that is correct we may have a path to the elite 8 and the top half of the bracket has a couple of teams we have already beaten, one of them multiple times. the other teams there also don't look as intimidating as some of the other regions

so i don't agree that we got a bad draw. The 7/10 game that Northwestern got is a bad draw. we would have no path after the 1st game if we were there
Agree we can beat A&M. At some point just go play the game. Based on our lousy out of conference performance and stumbling prior to the last week of the season we were destined to a 10 seed. I thought we could snag a 9 seed but the conf tourney does not move you up that much. So we were going to play a 7. A&M is under seeded, no doubt, but they are beatable. PSU is playing like a top 4 seed. No easy 2 seeds. Glad we avoided Arizona.

Agree we can beat A&M. At some point just go play the game. Based on our lousy out of conference performance and stumbling prior to the last week of the season we were destined to a 10 seed. I thought we could snag a 9 seed but the conf tourney does not move you up that much. So we were going to play a 7. A&M is under seeded, no doubt, but they are beatable. PSU is playing like a top 4 seed. No easy 2 seeds. Glad we avoided Arizona.

I’m much happier with a 10 than an 8/9. Having to go through a 1 seed to make the sweet 16 is not the path I’d choose.

Reactions: Marylovesthelions
well, I don't see things as black/white, on/off, yes/no.

Of course, the kids accomplished a ton and should feel great about themselves. But it is a missed opportunity in terms of building the program. May be not "missed" but "eroded".
how is it a missed opportunity?

Overreacting.
I love the enthusiasm Mary but having the ability to improve the program based on this teams incredible accomplishments was eroded by having a shitty time slot.
Overreacting, this game is billed as the best first rd. game. People have woken up to Penn State and will tune in. March Madness attracts viewers. Just the fact we are in the Dance and made a huge run in the BTT is a mega boost to this program. To say the time slot we are playing in eroded their accomplishments I disagree with. We have a huge opportunity to knock off Texas A&M who is certainly beatable. We do that and the program moves to new heights.

Overreacting.

Overreacting, this game is billed as the best first rd. game. People have woken up to Penn State and will tune in. March Madness attracts viewers. Just the fact we are in the Dance and made a huge run in the BTT is a mega boost to this program. To say the time slot we are playing in eroded their accomplishments I disagree with. We have a huge opportunity to knock off Texas A&M who is certainly beatable. We do that and the program moves to new heights.
half the teams in the tournament lose their first round games, obviously, so yes sometimes it's only a one and done situation. but on the recruiting trail it's a big difference between telling a recruit you went to the ncaa tournament in 2023 vs telling them you played in the nit. it is night and day

Overreacting.

We'll see. I'll check the ratings after the game and TAMU is clearly the best 7 seed, by far, in the tourney.

We'll see. I'll check the ratings after the game and TAMU is clearly the best 7 seed, by far, in the tourney.
Yeah they have some talent and so do we. They got blown out by 20 by Bama while we play a 1 seed down to the last 3 seconds after beating a bunch of good B10 teams in close games in the last two weeks. It's expected to be close and will be. I have faith in Coach Shrews and our guys who have heart. Who cares if people on the east coast go to bed and don't watch it. I can't wait for tip-off!

The game us over. The late start cut eastern viewers but maybe added western viewers. Speaking of publicity, what HS player does not know that PS won, Jalen Pickett is a super star, PS, and that Funk shot 8 for 10 at the 3 point line. RESULTS bring all the publicity you need.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT