ADVERTISEMENT

Best places to eat in or near State College?

So I will provide a list. However isn’t it ironic the owner of this forum doesn’t know anything about our community

trying hard not to be a word that rhymes with tick that starts with a PR I know I’ll probably be banned for my rant but just very ironic.

my favorite non downtown place

American ale house it’s awesome food and drinks
Ottos is really good

downtown

i like federal tap house a lot, tavern has good food

pickles is a great atmosphere seems like piss and puke but it adds to the experience

the phrsyt is hard to pass for a drink

a lot of the old haunts are gone.

best steakhouse is 15 minutes out of town you’ll see Urban and Rick N having a beer talking about taking over the program

• Sad
Reactions: Lion8286
So I will provide a list. However isn’t it ironic the owner of this forum doesn’t know anything about our community

trying hard not to be a word that rhymes with tick that starts with a PR I know I’ll probably be banned for my rant but just very ironic.

my favorite non downtown place

American ale house it’s awesome food and drinks
Ottos is really good

downtown

i like federal tap house a lot, tavern has good food

pickles is a great atmosphere seems like piss and puke but it adds to the experience

the phrsyt is hard to pass for a drink

a lot of the old haunts are gone.

best steakhouse is 15 minutes out of town you’ll see Urban and Rick N having a beer talking about taking over the program
I wouldn't say I don't know anything about the community lol. Rather I'm just trying to find a new food joint, something a little different from the usual.

I wouldn't say I don't know anything about the community lol. Rather I'm just trying to find a new food joint, something a little different from the usual.
When I was there last weekend, I enjoyed my food and beers at Federal Taphouse (downtown) and Otto's (N. Atherton). The former is new-ish and the latter was not part of my traditional rotation but probably should be.

Reactions: Richie O
Out of town, happy hour at Voodoo followed by dinner at Happy Valley Brewery next door.

In town, the new Allen Street Grill is very good.

Faccia Luna for Italian dishes and pizza.
Glad to see this is still here. Was one we used to go to regularly when son was at school in 2012 or so, but haven't had a chance to go out to dinner in awhile. Usually only come up for games now and tailgating.
Is Kelly's in Boalsburg still good? They had a nice gastro pub type menu for lunch.

Looks like Gamble Mill in Bellefonte has reopened. Olde New York is also a favorite with some good homemade German food, great potato pancakes and jaegerschnitzel

Reactions: Zenophile
The Field; Otto's; Happy Valley Brewing Co.; Olde New York; Tavern; American Ale House; Faccia Luna. State Burger Co., in Bellefonte, and Hublersburg Inn are very good as well.

My Gigi's story and why I don't recommend: I went there for my anniversary back in Sept. I ordered a ribeye. $39. No problem with price, a bit steep but I was looking to it. Wife and I had been there for lunch previously. Well, the steak they brought out was a NY Strip. I recognized it immediately and told the server. She left it on the table. I enjoyed a few fries while she went to the kitchen. She returned and said she placed my ribeye order and that is what was on my plate, I told her that it was a strip. She said they hand butcher their meat and assured me it was a ribeye and told me the chef also maintained it was a ribeye. I took a few bites off the end and it clearly had the texture of a strip, and had the fatcap on the one side. The manager then starts walking over and asks if there is a problem. I explain to her the issue. She then doubles down and insists it is a ribeye and that it may look different because they hand cut their beef. I then explain to her that I did indeed work a few years in high school and college at a butcher shop and had cut beef in my younger days (and still purchase whole cuts and work them myself) and that if this was indeed "hand cut" then whoever did it didn't know what they were doing and if it was a ribeye then the best parts had been removed. When she didn't budge, I pushed my plate toward her, and they took it off the bill. I watched my wife finish her meal, paid, walked out and haven't returned. I've debated discussing with the owner, but have not done so. I did take a photo in case I go that route. Ironically, my wife and I went to Giant afterward and walked by the meat department. She never doubted me as she knows my background and has watched me cut and cook beef for 30+ years. But she asked to see for herself, so I showed her the case and she's was in disbelief that they would try to pass off what they did as a ribeye. I might've stayed and ate it, but they didn't even offer the $5 difference in the steak prices. So they are off our list.

Zeno's is still the best place to grab a beer. And they stock some of the local and regional brewpubs as well.

If you want a new experience, reserve a table at the Farm Cafe at Windswept Farm on 550 between State College and Bellefonte— we came to our PSU home here early and had wonderful dinner there tonight—it’s Farm to Table with everything from the farm there. Drinks are great too. It’s not the college bar experience— but very high quality food. You have to book a month ahead but they have a great Sunday brunch even for PSU home
Game weekends.

I also love Voodoo Brewery— but it’s mostly outside and when it’s cold out you have to be dressed for it. The IPAs from the Meadville Microbrew are much better than Happy Valley IMHO. If it’s a sunny cold day it would be great. In town, I love Allen Street Grill for the views of campus and College Ave. Haven’t been there since Covid. I’m hearing Influenza A is sweeping thru campus including the Oline. Many students are done finals and heading home tonight

The Field; Otto's; Happy Valley Brewing Co.; Olde New York; Tavern; American Ale House; Faccia Luna. State Burger Co., in Bellefonte, and Hublersburg Inn are very good as well.

My Gigi's story and why I don't recommend: I went there for my anniversary back in Sept. I ordered a ribeye. $39. No problem with price, a bit steep but I was looking to it. Wife and I had been there for lunch previously. Well, the steak they brought out was a NY Strip. I recognized it immediately and told the server. She left it on the table. I enjoyed a few fries while she went to the kitchen. She returned and said she placed my ribeye order and that is what was on my plate, I told her that it was a strip. She said they hand butcher their meat and assured me it was a ribeye and told me the chef also maintained it was a ribeye. I took a few bites off the end and it clearly had the texture of a strip, and had the fatcap on the one side. The manager then starts walking over and asks if there is a problem. I explain to her the issue. She then doubles down and insists it is a ribeye and that it may look different because they hand cut their beef. I then explain to her that I did indeed work a few years in high school and college at a butcher shop and had cut beef in my younger days (and still purchase whole cuts and work them myself) and that if this was indeed "hand cut" then whoever did it didn't know what they were doing and if it was a ribeye then the best parts had been removed. When she didn't budge, I pushed my plate toward her, and they took it off the bill. I watched my wife finish her meal, paid, walked out and haven't returned. I've debated discussing with the owner, but have not done so. I did take a photo in case I go that route. Ironically, my wife and I went to Giant afterward and walked by the meat department. She never doubted me as she knows my background and has watched me cut and cook beef for 30+ years. But she asked to see for herself, so I showed her the case and she's was in disbelief that they would try to pass off what they did as a ribeye. I might've stayed and ate it, but they didn't even offer the $5 difference in the steak prices. So they are off our list.
my wife and I had a terrible experience at Gigi’s this past summer. Will never go back.

Reactions: bison13
A good old standby is the Red Horse in Pleasant Gap. Doesn't look like much but the food is very good. Might need reservations. They get busy. Best pizza is Hofbrau in Bellefonte. I don't know anything in State that is even close when it comes to pizza.

Depending where you're coming from there are good places in Lewistown, Clearfield, Huntingdon too. Hit the little off the wall joints and you'll be pleasantly surprised. Earlystown Diner in Centre Hall on 45 is a great breakfast spot. I have heard good things about the We Are Inn in Philipsburg but haven't sampled it as yet.

Best pizza is Hofbrau in Bellefonte. I don't know anything in State that is even close when it comes to pizza.

Haven’t been there since the covid hit the fan, but Hofbrau has been my favorite pizza since I first had it in 1993. If I lived in Bellefonte I would have died of a pizza overdose years ago. The crust is fantastic and the natural casing pepperoni curls up into glorious grease filled chalices.

hofbraupeperoni.jpeg

Last edited:
Our go to's were always the Tavern on Friday night, Waffle Shop North on game day (even if our hotel had a free breakfast), and Hi-Way Pizza North post game. But we've been other places too through the years. I've always liked Old New York (which is a German place). Faccia Luna is good as well.

A couple of our favorites.

The Field Burger and Taphouse - although I heard from some recently that it's declined in quality. Would like to hear what others think.

Faccia Luna for Italian dishes and pizza.

Gigi's for a little more upscale and solid southern food.

Sower's Cafe for breakfast and coffee.
The Field is very good. I just ate there this fall for the first time so I can't comment on how it compares to the past.

Restaurants are The Overlook, Gamble Mill, GiGi's, Pine Hall, ReFarm, The Tavern, Kelly's, Duffy's Tavern, Grace, Hublersburg Inn, everything else is pretty much sports bar, franchised, or college eats....

Reactions: ThePennsyOracle
A good old standby is the Red Horse in Pleasant Gap. Doesn't look like much but the food is very good. Might need reservations. They get busy. Best pizza is Hofbrau in Bellefonte. I don't know anything in State that is even close when it comes to pizza.

Depending where you're coming from there are good places in Lewistown, Clearfield, Huntingdon too. Hit the little off the wall joints and you'll be pleasantly surprised. Earlystown Diner in Centre Hall on 45 is a great breakfast spot. I have heard good things about the We Are Inn in Philipsburg but haven't sampled it as yet.
If I’m Bellefonte for pizza, Mamma Lucrezia’s is many miles ahead of Hofbrau. Seafood pizza is my favorite—all of the others are great too.

Reactions: The Stan
Lots of good suggestions here.

If you want to be out of town, the Spruce Creek Tavern is good food but not fancy.

The Red Horse has some of the best tasting food around, IMO, so that’s a great suggestion.

Dear valued guest of Gigi’s Restaurant,

We read your post with keen interest.

First and foremost we wish to apologize for what has clearly been a bad experience on what was to be a special night.

Clearly this is not ok and rest assured we are undertaking remedial action. Our goal is always to create lasting positive memories and this time we unfortunately failed. We have reached out to you privately so that we can make this right. We look forward to hearing from you soon.

I hope you post the pic of the "ribeye" - I would love to see it.

Reactions: WaylonJ
I mentioned earlier about trying the Tavern tonight.

They wouldn’t take a reservation for tonight and when I just walked in they won’t seat a party of five or more. Needless to say, it will be a long time before I try the Tavern again.

Haven’t been there since the covid hit the fan, but Hofbrau has been my favorite pizza since I first had it in 1993. If I lived in Bellefonte I would have died of a pizza overdose years ago. The crust is fantastic and the natural casing pepperoni curls up into glorious grease filled chalices.

hofbraupeperoni.jpeg
Faccia Luna’s pizza is based on this. We had a local place several years ago, Jim’s Place, near Keystone College. Jim’s pizza was based off the Hofbrau/Faccia Luna as Jim was connected with Faccia Luna and was a former bartender at the Scorpion. Alas it has been gone for quite some time. Never have been to the Hofbrau.

Reactions: PearlSUJam

They wouldn’t take a reservation for tonight and when I just walked in they won’t seat a party of five or more. Needless to say, it will be a long time before I try the Tavern again.
That happened to us last Friday there. We went to Olde New York with no issues.

Faccia Luna’s pizza is based on this. We had a local place several years ago, Jim’s Place, near Keystone College. Jim’s pizza was based off the Hofbrau/Faccia Luna as Jim was connected with Faccia Luna and was a former bartender at the Scorpion. Alas it has been gone for quite some time. Never have been to the Hofbrau.
Not only does Hofbrau have at least, among the top pizza in the area, the real treat is going in there to eat. It's like a place out of the movie "The Sting." It's dark, it's little booths built for people who lived in the 1930's. It's great service and nice people. It's a place from another time. You could envision mob deals going down in the dark recesses of the place. I don't even know the ownership people but it's a hoot going in there. Parking is a bit of a challenge at times. Hey, everyone has their own taste. I like Luna as well. Nothing like seeing the guys throwing the dough in front of that roaring brick oven.

Not only does Hofbrau have at least, among the top pizza in the area, the real treat is going in there to eat. It's like a place out of the movie "The Sting." It's dark, it's little booths built for people who lived in the 1930's. It's great service and nice people. It's a place from another time. You could envision mob deals going down in the dark recesses of the place. I don't even know the ownership people but it's a hoot going in there. Parking is a bit of a challenge at times. Hey, everyone has their own taste. I like Luna as well. Nothing like seeing the guys throwing the dough in front of that roaring brick oven.
For those that don’t know, Hofbrau owner yrs ago (Bill M.) , started Faccia Luna in SC,then in Georgetown,Washington DC. Many yrs later, he sold Hofbrau to current owner. BEST darn Pizza , especially thin crust. Only 10:30am right now,can’t wait til 4pm when they open. 👍👍

Reactions: rudedude

They have had a long standing (decades) policy on no reservations on football weekends--they got stiffed too many times. I'm surprised they would not take a party of five. Football weekend are always a challenge. We learned to get there when the doors opened.

Yes. Red Horse was always fantastic.

Hitting the road shortly to head out to State College and I'm a big food junkie, so hit me with your best places to eat and grab a beer at this weekend.
Lots of good suggestions here. Next time you’re in State College, if you’re in the mood for something other than pizza or burgers, the Indian Pavilion in Calder Way has some do the best Indian food I’ve tried and the lunch buffet has a lot of choices and is reasonably priced.

Lots of good suggestions here. Next time you’re in State College, if you’re in the mood for something other than pizza or burgers, the Indian Pavilion in Calder Way has some do the best Indian food I’ve tried and the lunch buffet has a lot of choices and is reasonably priced.
Will have to try it when I head back up in a few weeks! Saved a lot of these suggestions btw -- so thank you!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT