ADVERTISEMENT

Best Fans in the country - Hate to say it , but has to go

walleye38

Jul 29, 2003
to the Buckeye's. Even with bad teams, they fill the stadium. Have to say , they have the most loyal and dedicated fans in the Nation. Doesn't matter who they play, the stadium. Even when they play, Kent, Akron, Youngstown State, they sell out.

It's an Ohio thing. Firstly, the Buckeyes are the best football team in the state most years and that includes the Browns and Bengals.

Unlike PA, if Penn State was in a major bowl game, Pitt and Temple fans do not root for Penn State. If Ohio State is in a major bowl game, all of Ohio, including the alums from all of Ohio's smaller colleges, root for the Buckeyes.

to the Buckeye's. Even with bad teams, they fill the stadium. Have to say , they have the most loyal and dedicated fans in the Nation. Doesn't matter who they play, the stadium. Even when they play, Kent, Akron, Youngstown State, they sell out.
LOL

I assume this is TIC....right?

They have dedicated fans, no doubt. But during our dark years in the early 2000s we were still filling Beaver Stadium. Things have changed since the BoT sold the university out.

Well, I have to disagree with you here. There are lots of schools that have extremely loyal fan bases. I don't think that OSU fans are any more loyal than Penn State fans, or most any other conference team within or outside of the B1G. If you ever came down here to the south, you would see that schools like Alabama, LSU, UGA, UF, Clemson and a host of other schools would fill even a 150,000 stadium to capacity if they were that large. Plus, I don't think you can judge fan base loyalty on how full their stadiums get on Saturday home games. The modernization of TV availability has kept many fans at home, as has costs of tickets and transportation costs. On any given Saturday, I wonder how many families have their TV's tuned into a Penn State game vs. an Ohio State game? I don't know that answer, but would like to compare. What we can compare is how many active alumni each and every school has. I'm sure you know the answer to this, but in case you don't, Penn State has the world's largest college alumni association with contributing members!

Well, I have to disagree with you here. There are lots of schools that have extremely loyal fan bases. I don't think that OSU fans are any more loyal than Penn State fans, or most any other conference team within or outside of the B1G. If you ever came down here to the south, you would see that schools like Alabama, LSU, UGA, UF, Clemson and a host of other schools would fill even a 150,000 stadium to capacity if they were that large. Plus, I don't think you can judge fan base loyalty on how full their stadiums get on Saturday home games. The modernization of TV availability has kept many fans at home, as has costs of tickets and transportation costs. On any given Saturday, I wonder how many families have their TV's tuned into a Penn State game vs. an Ohio State game? I don't know that answer, but would like to compare. What we can compare is how many active alumni each and every school has. I'm sure you know the answer to this, but in case you don't, Penn State has the world's largest college alumni association with contributing members!

True. Then add the JS mess that psu went through the past 4 years with national and international scorn and accusations against any psu fan just for breathing. Then realize Ohio St is in Columbus- (a city of what 1-2 million people?) while PSU is 2 hours from Harrisburg and about 3 hours from Philly or the Burgh. Add in cost/ trouble of travel and hotels etc compared to driving across town and right back home. It's not an apples to apples comparison.

Last edited:
IMO, location of the school is a major factor; imagine if University park was located in a large city like Columbus with a population of 815,000, not counting the suburbs; seems to me this would impact attendance, the time and expense for 100k fans to get to State college is an impressive commentary regarding loyalty and support of PSU fans.

They have dedicated fans, no doubt. But during our dark years in the early 2000s we were still filling Beaver Stadium. Things have changed since the BoT sold the university out.

Yep, a lot of (typically older) alums who can't accept a change in their world view have decided "well, I'll take my $$$ and my ball and go home."

Which is fine.

Have no doubt, however: PSU will survive and thrive without you.

It's an Ohio thing. Firstly, the Buckeyes are the best football team in the state most years and that includes the Browns and Bengals.

Unlike PA, if Penn State was in a major bowl game, Pitt and Temple fans do not root for Penn State. If Ohio State is in a major bowl game, all of Ohio, including the alums from all of Ohio's smaller colleges, root for the Buckeyes.

Ohio State also has some structural disadvantages within their own state:

(1) Cincinnati residents tend to take pride in the fact that "we are nothing like the rest of Ohio, we are our own region down here." There's really no such thing as a Cincinnati Bearcat AND Ohio State Buckeye fan. Bearcats fans take pride in hating OSU. Ohio State arguably ranks THIRD in the Cincinnati tri-state region in terms of popularity --- behind Cincinnati and Notre Dame, and even not too much ahead of Kentucky. Ohio State's popularity in Cincinnati is definitely less than Penn State's popularity in Pittsburgh.

(2) Michigan has A LOT of fans in northwest Ohio. I would argue that Toledo is more University of Michigan territory versus Ohio State Buckeye territory.

(3) Columbus has pro teams too. The Buckeyes do not get 100% of the Columbus sports dollar. The Blue Jackets have a loyal fan base, as does their MLS team (the Crew).

Ohio State's strongest markets are Columbus, Cleveland and Dayton, in that order. But they definitely do NOT rule the state.

Do you ever tire of being a douchebag?

You're getting lazy, my friend. Where's the picture of a douchebag?

On a side question --- are you currently watching some Rangers/Blue Jays? A couple of division winners playing in the playoffs. :)

accept a change in their world view

What are you talking about? A change in my world view?

Here's Penn State's world view, ok....ready? Here's their view of the alumni. They look at people and here's what they see:

money-origami-dress-and-suit-2.jpg

That's Penn State's world view.

The best fans in the country are Rutgers football fans. Think about it. No school has had more years of football futility than Rutgers. Being a true fan of such a program takes a Herculean effort and Rutgers has hundreds of such fans. I salute them.
saluting-smiley-emoticon.gif

What are you talking about? A change in my world view?

Here's Penn State's world view, ok....ready? Here's their view of the alumni. They look at people and here's what they see:

money-origami-dress-and-suit-2.jpg

That's Penn State's world view.

As a well-known former Penn Stater once said: "I want your money, but I don't want your two cents."

I guess the world-views of that well-known former Penn Stater have been passed forward?

When has Ohio State been bad???I cannot remember when.

As a well-known former Penn Stater once said: "I want your money, but I don't want your two cents."

I guess the world-views of that well-known former Penn Stater have been passed forward?

I guess so. Doesn't matter to me who said what, either. I'm not here cheerleading for Paterno. I'm on record here that they can fight their own battles.

Penn State sold out its alumni and at least one elected trustee publicly blamed them in part for Jerry Sandusky. That's you and me both. You can make with the "We Ares" on that one, I'll pass.

(1) Cincinnati residents tend to take pride in the fact that "we are nothing like the rest of Ohio, we are our own region down here." There's really no such thing as a Cincinnati Bearcat AND Ohio State Buckeye fan. Bearcats fans take pride in hating OSU. Ohio State arguably ranks THIRD in the Cincinnati tri-state region in terms of popularity --- behind Cincinnati and Notre Dame, and even not too much ahead of Kentucky. Ohio State's popularity in Cincinnati is definitely less than Penn State's popularity in Pittsburgh.

I would argue that this is a basketball driven perspective. When it comes to football, there's only the Buckeyes. ND...arguably, not.

(2) Michigan has A LOT of fans in northwest Ohio. I would argue that Toledo is more University of Michigan territory versus Ohio State Buckeye territory.

A lot of fans maybe, perhaps due to transplants, but I would argue you have this wrong.

(3) Columbus has pro teams too. The Buckeyes do not get 100% of the Columbus sports dollar. The Blue Jackets have a loyal fan base, as does their MLS team (the Crew).

Well you finally have it right. There is no doubt the Buckeyes do not get 100% of the Columbus sports dollar. Well done!!

Ohio State's strongest markets are Columbus, Cleveland and Dayton, in that order. But they definitely do NOT rule the state.

Well, you got it right again. John Kasich rules the State. But aside from that, there is no other team, school, or following in this State that is bigger than the Buckeyes. No one, nothing, anywhere. I want to say you are an idiot, but I will refrain.

Reactions: royboy
I would argue that this is a basketball driven perspective. When it comes to football, there's only the Buckeyes. ND...arguably, not.

I live and work in Cincinnati. I am correct on this one.

Shoot, the Buckeyes played their spring game at Paul Brown Stadium in 2013 and half the city was like "screw those carpet-baggers from up north, we don't care if their stadium is under re-construction, we don't want either them or their boorish fans here. Let them take their $$$ and play the game in Cleveland!!!"

I was at the Bearcats/Miami football game at Nippert a week ago. 40K fans, largest crowd ever at Nippert Stadium. Not a person favorable to Ohio State to be found. Lots of "bUCkeye State" t-shirts being worn.

Honestly, you just have to leave here. HIGH SCHOOL football is more popular in Cincinnati than Ohio State football.

I live and work in Cincinnati. I am correct on this one.

Shoot, the Buckeyes played their spring game at Paul Brown Stadium in 2013 and half the city was like "screw those carpet-baggers from up north, we don't care if their stadium is under re-construction, we don't want either them or their boorish fans here. Let them take their $$$ and play the game in Cleveland!!!"

I was at the Bearcats/Miami football game at Nippert a week ago. 40K fans, largest crowd ever at Nippert Stadium. Not a person favorable to Ohio State to be found. Lots of "bUCkeye State" t-shirts being worn.

Honestly, you just have to leave here. HIGH SCHOOL football is more popular in Cincinnati than Ohio State football.
Batting 1.000 again today NittWitt.........knocking 'em out of the "stupid" park!!!!!

How many would they get if they faced severe sanctions and didn't get a top bowl game for 5 years?

Batting 1.000 again today NittWitt.........knocking 'em out of the "stupid" park!!!!!

Knocking 'em out of PNC Park.

Oh wait, no more baseball being played there until next April. If only the Pirates had won the NL Central. :)

You're getting lazy, my friend. Where's the picture of a douchebag?

On a side question --- are you currently watching some Rangers/Blue Jays? A couple of division winners playing in the playoffs. :)
What, now you're going after the Pirates?! That's gonna play well here. LOL...

I disagree...my wife (through her family) have been season ticket holders since 2002. There were plenty of empty seats this year during games. Considering they are #1 in the country, not that impressive. Last year we could not sell the tickets for the last two games of the season. Their attendance has been good, but not packed for every game.

Ohio State is starting their own version of the "point" system and MANY alumni are angry and will not renew tickets (including my wife). Many Ohio State alumni donate money to various areas of the university, including the OSU Hospital. The point system only counts money donated to the Athletic Dept.

Aren't they defending National champs and won about a billion in a row and currently ranked number 1? Not very hard to fill the stadium against anyone. Goofy statement.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT