ADVERTISEMENT

Ben Askren New Badger-RTC Head Coach

Lion8286

Sep 1, 2008
Two-time NCAA champion and 2008 Olympian Ben Askren has been named the new head coach of the Badger Regional Training Center in Madison, Wisconsin.

Askren recently retired from an undefeated professional MMA career that saw him win welterweight championships in both the Bellator and ONE FC promotions. Ben is also the co-founder of the Askren Wrestling Academy, the premier youth wrestling club in the state of Wisconsin. Askren started the club with his brother, Max, after they both graduated from Missouri, where Ben was a four-time NCAA finalist and two-time Hodge trophy winner.

When reached for a comment by FloWrestling, Askren had this to say about the new gig:

"I am pumped to be the Head Coach at the Badger RTC. I love the challenge of helping wrestlers achieve to the highest levels in the sport of wrestling.

Additionally, I think this is a great chance to help the entire state of Wisconsin by building an RTC which is consistently helping wrestlers achieve at the highest levels."

https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/6186070-ben-askren-new-badger-rtc-head-coach

Two-time NCAA champion and 2008 Olympian Ben Askren has been named the new head coach of the Badger Regional Training Center in Madison, Wisconsin.

Askren recently retired from an undefeated professional MMA career that saw him win welterweight championships in both the Bellator and ONE FC promotions. Ben is also the co-founder of the Askren Wrestling Academy, the premier youth wrestling club in the state of Wisconsin. Askren started the club with his brother, Max, after they both graduated from Missouri, where Ben was a four-time NCAA finalist and two-time Hodge trophy winner.

When reached for a comment by FloWrestling, Askren had this to say about the new gig:

"I am pumped to be the Head Coach at the Badger RTC. I love the challenge of helping wrestlers achieve to the highest levels in the sport of wrestling.

Additionally, I think this is a great chance to help the entire state of Wisconsin by building an RTC which is consistently helping wrestlers achieve at the highest levels."

https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/6186070-ben-askren-new-badger-rtc-head-coach

With Bono and Askren.....they should be able to keep some local talent at home. Good for Wisconsin.

What are the rules regarding RTC guys and college kids training at the same time or together? How much of an impact does someone like Mark Perry have on Division 1 college wrestler? If RTC coaches and college wrestling teams work with each other closely I think this is a huge pick up for Wisconsin; with Bono and Askren in charge I believe they will be a force to be reckoned with fairly soon.

I was just at a camp today over in WI with Nazar, and I had to ask how WI people felt about Bono hire. Everyone said, "Well, we would've been pumped to have Ben, but Bono is exciting, too."
As we continued, we came to the consensus that WI will probably never lose Ben, but gained a Bono and Reader, so as long as they work together, all will be well... And bam, I read this now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT