ADVERTISEMENT

Before we hand Lee 4 Titles, let's look at the "locks" of 2011...

21Guns

Dec 10, 2013
Bellefonte
The 2011 FILA Junior World Team:

Josh Kindig

Tanner Hall

Nick Roberts

Jesse Thielke

Mark Grey

Logan Steiber

Dan Miller

Lee Munster

Taylor Massa

That's ONE wrestler out of an entire team in 2011 to win an NCAA Championship.

Reactions: garw and Dogwelder
He is a lock to be a top tier wrestler no doubt, barring injuries and unforseen occurrences that is. Haven't seen to many people saying he is a forsure lock to be a 4 time champ.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
When you get elite recruits like Alex Marinelli and Spencer Lee, all a coach has to do is sit back and watch them succeed. They are idiot-proof. Multiple titles are their destiny. The coach just has to stay the hell out of their way.

I've read that over the years in various HR threads about Cael's recruiting successes, so it must be true.

Last edited:

Josh Kindig

Tanner Hall

Nick Roberts

Jesse Thielke

Mark Grey

Logan Steiber

Dan Miller

Lee Munster

Taylor Massa

and like that ONE guy, Lee is also the #1 ranked recruit in his class. I'm with CV, your attempt to put down Lee by this comparison falls flat.

Aside from the obvious strawman question of who considered which of those guys to be locks to do what ... What exactly is the point in pre-downgrading the potential future college accomplishments of a HS JR?

Speaking of locks, this could be a lock for the most asinine thread in May. At least until Creedo resurfaces.

Reactions: WildTurk
Aside from the obvious strawman question of who considered which of those guys to be locks to do what ... What exactly is the point in pre-downgrading the potential future college accomplishments of a HS JR?

Speaking of locks, this could be a lock for the most asinine thread in May. At least until Creedo resurfaces.

Too bad. The thread suggests that there are no "locks", therefore Lee is no more of a lock than the rest of them

Last edited:
I could not care less about what you think. I have friends on this board who are more knowledgeable than you, and closer connected to the program than you.
Then maybe they will explain 9.9 to you someday......

Then maybe they will explain 9.9 to you someday......

The point of the thread is that every one of those wrestlers were expected to do far more than they ended up doing. Logan Steiber won his titles, none of the others did. If you can't see the point, then you are baiting.

There is no "down grading", get off your high horse. The point is that they ALL were expected to win championships, and one of them did, while the others did not. Who expected them to win titles? FILA. That's their team in 2011. One of them won championships, the others did not.

Josh Kindig

Tanner Hall

Nick Roberts

Jesse Thielke

Mark Grey

Logan Steiber

Dan Miller

Lee Munster

Taylor Massa

He will never win even 2 titles under Brands and the Iowa style...I would beat ANYONE a lot of money. Spencer will realize this when it's too late. BRANDS CHANGES EVERYONE'S STYLE...IT'S JUST A MATTER OF TIME....BOOK IT AND I AM VERY VERY SERIOUS AND EVEN THE TRUE IOWA FANS KNOW IT. THERE ARE A FEW EXCEPTIONS !!!! IT'S JUST SAD HE CAN'T SEE THAT CAEL LETS THEM ALONE AND JUST TWEEKS LITTLE THINGS TO BE THE BEST !!!! ITS CALLED A SEVERE CONTROL ISSUE !!!!

Reactions: 21Guns
He will never win even 2 titles under Brands and the Iowa style...I would beat ANYONE a lot of money. Spencer will realize this when it's too late. BRANDS CHANGES EVERYONE'S STYLE...IT'S JUST A MATTER OF TIME....BOOK IT AND I AM VERY VERY SERIOUS AND EVEN THE TRUE IOWA FANS KNOW IT. THERE ARE A FEW EXCEPTIONS !!!! IT'S JUST SAD HE CAN'T SEE THAT CAEL LETS THEM ALONE AND JUST TWEEKS LITTLE THINGS TO BE THE BEST !!!! ITS CALLED A SEVERE CONTROL ISSUE !!!!

Precisely.

I, for one, think 21 is making smart and articulate arguments. For example, I feel that Mark Hall is going to be a bust because...it happens. Don't listen to them 21...in the words of Terry Brands, "Haters gonna hate, hate,hate!"

I, for one, think 21 is making smart and articulate arguments. For example, I feel that Mark Hall is going to be a bust because...it happens. Don't listen to them 21...in the words of Terry Brands, "Haters gonna hate, hate,hate!"

Spyker is sayin the same thing. He won't win more than two.

Spyker is sayin the same thing. He won't win more than two.

I noticed...in ALL CAPS. Well if Spyker is on board, Lee doesn't stand a chance.

Hey Spyker, won't this make Mr. Lee's presence on your bowling team a little uneasy?

Reactions: NLBSix
There is no "down grading", get off your high horse. The point is that they ALL were expected to win championships, and one of them did, while the others did not. Who expected them to win titles? FILA. That's their team in 2011. One of them won championships, the others did not.
Team FILA, huh?
fila-mentos-2004-298x217.jpg

Congrats 21 Guns, you baited me into doing some research on the topic of past JR world teams. I thought I'd list the JR world teams from 2006-2015 to provide some further statistics for you to analyze.
**Also, Jesse Thielke was never a member of a JR world Freestyle team, he was always a Greco guy, at least when it pertained to JR World teams.
(All weights will be listed in order from 50KG to HWT)
KEY
# = JR World Champ
* = NCAA Champ

Patrick McCaffrey (Bronze)
Henry Cejudo (Silver)
*Coleman Scott
*Brent Metcalf
Matt Coughlin
Louis Caputo
*Max Askren
Erik Nye

*David Taylor
Tyler Graff
*Angel Escobedo
*#Bubba Jenkins (Gold)
Jake Kerr
Louis Caputo
Taylor Moore
Stafan Tighe

Mark Rappo
Zach Sanders
Tyler Graff
*Jordan Burroughs
*Quentin Wright (Bronze)
Mike Letts (Bronze)
Clayton Foster (Bronze)
Clayton Jack

Carson Kuhn
*Tony Ramos
*Jordan Oliver (Bronze)
Jason Chamberlain
*Andrew Howe (Bronze)
*Chris Perry
Tyrell Fortune
#Dom Bradley (Gold)

Nick Roberts
Cory Finch
*Matt McDonough
Jason Chamberlain
Conrad Polz
*Chris Perry (Bronze)
Tyler Lehmann
Jeremy Johnson

Nick Roberts
Mark Grey
*Logan Stieber (Silver)
Josh Kindig
Taylor Massa
Lee Munster
Tanner Hall
Daniel Miller

Adrian Cordova
Joey Dance
Earl Hall
Destin McCauley
*Alex Dieringer
Pat Downey (Silver)
Tanner Hall
Austin Marsden

Ethan Lizak
Thomas Gilman
Mark Grey
*Jason Tsirtsis
*Alex Dieringer (Silver)
Sammy Brooks
*#Kyle Snyder (Gold)
Austin Marsden

Jabari Moody
Thomas Gilman (Bronze)
Joey McKenna (Silver)
Aaron Pico (Silver)
Anthony Valencia
*Gabe Dean (Bronze)
*#Kyle Snyder (Bronze)
Adam Coon (Bronze)

#Spencer Lee (Gold)
Stevan Micic (Bronze)
Joey McKenna
Aaron Pico (Bronze)
Mark Hall
Zahid Valencia
Anthony Cassar
Nathan Butler

If anybody sees some mistakes, let me know and I'll correct them

Last edited:
this is a BS post and any response is silly as it doesn't deserve one. The percentages of not winning 4 championships is low based on history so making the claim of Spencer's demise is not much of a stand. TO want to even say it is ignorant based on his records vs any others at his age. Spencer is a stud and one of a kind to this point. His projections are 'almost' without comparison, especially as a Jr in HS.
Some folks need to find something else to do with their spare time....
instead of bad mouthing, just pray he changes his mind and looks toward home (PSU)!!

You know Spyker's basement bedroom is wall to wall Spencer Lee photos. That dude is fricking awesome. I'm jealous of his mastery of insanity.

Reactions: Azchief32
Congrats 21 Guns, you baited me into doing some research on the topic of past JR world teams. I thought I'd list the JR world teams from 2006-2015 to provide some further statistics for you to analyze.
**Also, Jesse Thielke was never a member of a JR world Freestyle team, he was always a Greco guy, at least when it pertained to JR World teams.
(All weights will be listed in order from 50KG to HWT)
KEY
# = JR World Champ
* = NCAA Champ

Patrick McCaffrey
Henry Cejudo
*Coleman Scott
*Brent Metcalf
Matt Coughlin
Louis Caputo
*Max Askren
Erik Nye

*David Taylor
Tyler Graff
*Angel Escobedo
*#Bubba Jenkins
Jake Kerr
Louis Caputo
Taylor Moore
Stafan Tighe

Mark Rappo
Zach Sanders
Tyler Graff
*Jordan Burroughs
*Quentin Wright
Kirk Smith
Clayton Foster
Clayton Jack

Carson Kuhn
*Tony Ramos
*Jordan Oliver
Jason Chamberlain
*Andrew Howe
*Chris Perry
Tyrell Fortune
#Dom Bradley

Nick Roberts
Cory Finch
*Matt McDonough
Jason Chamberlain
Conrad Polz
*Chris Perry
Tyler Lehmann
Jeremy Johnson

Nick Roberts
Mark Grey
*Logan Stieber
Josh Kindig
Taylor Massa
Lee Munster
Tanner Hall
Daniel Miller

Adrian Cordova
Joey Dance
Earl Hall
Destin McCauley
*Alex Dieringer
Pat Downey
Tanner Hall
Austin Marsden

Ethan Lizak
Thomas Gilman
Mark Grey
*Jason Tsirtsis
*Alex Dieringer
Sammy Brooks
*#Kyle Snyder
Austin Marsden

Jabari Moody
Thomas Gilman
Joey McKenna
Aaron Pico
Anthony Valencia
*Gabe Dean
*#Kyle Snyder
Adam Coon

#Spencer Lee
Stevan Micic
Joey McKenna
Aaron Pico
Mark Hall
Zahid Valencia
Anthony Cassar
Nathan Butler

If anybody sees some mistakes, let me know and I'll correct them

Nicely done Lex: See, THAT'S how it's done. You make a LEGIT argument, instead of making ad hominem attacks. Good post.

Reactions: Creek Side
Name the person who expected Nick Roberts to win a single NCAA title with McDonough at Iowa and Nico committed to PSU. I'll wait.

Josh Kindig

Tanner Hall

Nick Roberts

Jesse Thielke

Mark Grey

Logan Steiber

Dan Miller

Lee Munster

Taylor Massa

Does this mean we should adjust our expectations for Mark Hall?

Name the person who expected Nick Roberts to win a single NCAA title with McDonough at Iowa and Nico committed to PSU. I'll wait.

Somebody thought Nick Roberts was going to win titles: He went 22-5 during his redshirt year at Ohio State, had it not been for Tomassello, he would most likely not have transferred. As it is, he just won a D2 National Championship at 133 for UPJ.

But I'm sure you knew all that, lmao.

Yes.

It means that our "expectations" for ALL of the great high school talent, need to be tempered.

Let me add two more words: Chance Marstellar.

Yes, let's follow 21Guns advice and temper our "expectations". Just like 21Guns did here:

21Guns posted: Yes, this puts Iowa back into the top 3 in my opinion....not this coming year, but as of year one for Lee. Right away, Lee is a serious contender for 4 time champion. He is special.

This mother stings way more than Marstellar did, way more.

You know Spyker's basement bedroom is wall to wall Spencer Lee photos. That dude is fricking awesome. I'm jealous of his mastery of insanity.

If it means getting SanSouci over here on a regular basis, we need more of Spyker AND 21guns! I might never have to go over to the HR because I'm bored at work again.

Somebody thought Nick Roberts was going to win titles: He went 22-5 during his redshirt year at Ohio State, had it not been for Tomassello, he would most likely not have transferred. As it is, he just won a D2 National Championship at 133 for UPJ.

But I'm sure you knew all that, lmao.
Nobody thought Roberts was going to win titles. Also, he transferred to UPJ because he couldn't beat out Zanetta at Pitt, after he couldn't beat out Tomasello.

Nobody thought Roberts was going to win titles. Also, he transferred to UPJ because he couldn't beat out Zanetta at Pitt, after he couldn't beat out Tomasello.
Yep, Roberts was an elite HS wrestler, but a lot of the top programs had 125s nobody, or very few, expected him to beat out/replace.

[

Tom Ryan thought he was going to win a title, he gave him a scholarship. What happened with Tomasello, was after that fact. He would not have recruited Roberts if he thought Roberts wasn't capable.

Shorter this thread: So I heard you like off-season speculation. Well here's some tortured statistical abstraction you can use to refine your speculation. Discuss!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT