ADVERTISEMENT

Beep, beep, beep......

LaJolla Lion

May 29, 2001
Cumberland line
Two weeks ago, The MMQB’s Robert Klemko reported that two personnel sources told him Hackenberg had shifted blame to Franklin when their teams asked about his declining production his sophomore and junior seasons. But four high-ranking club officials who were part of their team’s interview process with prospects, speaking for this piece, said that was not how Hackenberg responded in their meetings.

“His answer was that he didn’t play as well, and there were things he needed to get better at,” one head coach said. One senior executive said he was impressed that Hackenberg didn’t throw Franklin under the bus, despite questions that set him up to do so. Another team decision-maker said he could read between the lines that Hackenberg and Franklin weren’t especially close, but that Hackenberg did not blame his coach. During Hackenberg’s 12 formal interviews at the combine, some teams pushed that button harder than others and some may have interpreted his answers differently. Hackenberg doesn’t believe he left any room for interpretation.

“It was a very easy answer for me. There are some things that I have to get better at, and that’s the way I approached it going into the interviews,” Hackenberg says. “It’s the greatest team game on the planet, but you have to be able to uphold your end of the bargain. I did that at times, and at times I didn’t. That’s the messaging I wanted to get across, is here’s where I could have gotten better. I own everything I put on tape. I did it. It wasn’t anyone pulling the trigger but No. 14.”

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/04/07/christian-hackenberg-penn-state-nfl-draft

Two weeks ago, The MMQB’s Robert Klemko reported that two personnel sources told him Hackenberg had shifted blame to Franklin when their teams asked about his declining production his sophomore and junior seasons. But four high-ranking club officials who were part of their team’s interview process with prospects, speaking for this piece, said that was not how Hackenberg responded in their meetings.

“His answer was that he didn’t play as well, and there were things he needed to get better at,” one head coach said. One senior executive said he was impressed that Hackenberg didn’t throw Franklin under the bus, despite questions that set him up to do so. Another team decision-maker said he could read between the lines that Hackenberg and Franklin weren’t especially close, but that Hackenberg did not blame his coach. During Hackenberg’s 12 formal interviews at the combine, some teams pushed that button harder than others and some may have interpreted his answers differently. Hackenberg doesn’t believe he left any room for interpretation.

“It was a very easy answer for me. There are some things that I have to get better at, and that’s the way I approached it going into the interviews,” Hackenberg says. “It’s the greatest team game on the planet, but you have to be able to uphold your end of the bargain. I did that at times, and at times I didn’t. That’s the messaging I wanted to get across, is here’s where I could have gotten better. I own everything I put on tape. I did it. It wasn’t anyone pulling the trigger but No. 14.”

Which is exactly how anyone with 1/2 the intellect of a bag of hair would have expected things to have gone down.

Of course "1/2 the intellect of a bag of hair" would exclude a whole fistful of Little-Girly-Drama-Queen types on this board, who went all "Whhhhaaaaaa!!" over the idiotic social media story a couple weeks back.

Reactions: step.eng69
Thanks...read that early this morning and decided not to poke that bear.

I think its a great article. With Hack, you just don't have a baseline. Nobody has ever played under the circumstances Hack did. On top of that, clearly CJF places, at the very least, SOME of the blame on the OC whom he fired at his first opportunity (after working with him for five years).

its clear Hack did't react to the coaching change well. But to be a good QB, you need a line, WR's and coaching. As stated, its a team game. With the coaching change and sanctions, how much of the problems were Hack and how much on the rest of the team? its an interesting question and one that evokes a lot of conversation.

I do believe his skill set translates better to the NFL game than the college game. Nobody knows if ANY QB drafted will be successful in the pro game. But I think Hack has a good a chance as any of these guys I've seen who will be drafted this year.

Many of the same people that fell for this false narrative and are actively rooting against Hack are the ones aghast at the behavior of the public, our admins, and the NCAA with regard to Freeh, sanctions, etc. Go figure.

Thanks...read that early this morning and decided not to poke that bear.

I think its a great article. With Hack, you just don't have a baseline. Nobody has ever played under the circumstances Hack did. On top of that, clearly CJF places, at the very least, SOME of the blame on the OC whom he fired at his first opportunity (after working with him for five years).

its clear Hack did't react to the coaching change well. But to be a good QB, you need a line, WR's and coaching. As stated, its a team game. With the coaching change and sanctions, how much of the problems were Hack and how much on the rest of the team? its an interesting question and one that evokes a lot of conversation.

I do believe his skill set translates better to the NFL game than the college game. Nobody knows if ANY QB drafted will be successful in the pro game. But I think Hack has a good a chance as any of these guys I've seen who will be drafted this year.

With the right team, he could be a decent NFL QB. Defense carries you, strong running game, and hit the long ball every now and again. He's not a replacement for a pass happy Saints team or a Cam Newton type of spread team. A Flacco type of QB if he would stumble into something so good. I wish him well as he really did take an absolute beating for two years and stuck loyal to PSU during their darkest hour. I don't care if he made some young immature mistakes off the field. Collins wasn't known as a Saint, neither was McGloin in recent years.

With the right team, he could be a decent NFL QB. Defense carries you, strong running game, and hit the long ball every now and again. He's not a replacement for a pass happy Saints team or a Cam Newton type of spread team. A Flacco type of QB if he would stumble into something so good. I wish him well as he really did take an absolute beating for two years and stuck loyal to PSU during their darkest hour. I don't care if he made some young immature mistakes off the field. Collins wasn't known as a Saint, neither was McGloin in recent years.

Agree but don't understand your 2nd to last sentence. Collins broke his finger when he was playing volleyball drunk, and McGloin missed a bowl game after being involved in a fight in the locker room. What "immature mistakes off the field" was Hack guilty of remotely close to those two, or at all?

Agree but don't understand your 2nd to last sentence. Collins broke his finger when he was playing volleyball drunk, and McGloin missed a bowl game after being involved in a fight in the locker room. What "immature mistakes off the field" was Hack guilty of remotely close to those two, or at all?

Yeah, I don't recall reading anything he did as being an immature mistake off the field.

Yeah, I don't recall reading anything he did as being an immature mistake off the field.

The "rumors" were just little immature things and there were never really confirmed. They were more like HS kids passing notes type of rumors. More than likely he rubbed some fanboys and fangirls the wrong way.

The "rumors" were just little immature things and there were never really confirmed. They were more like HS kids passing notes type of rumors. More than likely he rubbed some fanboys and fangirls the wrong way.

Thanks for posting this - certainly not getting the attention his ZOMG HACK THRU CJF UNDER DA BUS!!! headline was getting, but nice to see the record set straight. It just didn't make sense for someone like Hack, who has been completely humble, gracious, and otherwise 'stand up' his entire time at Penn State, to suddenly blame everyone for his shortcomings. His throwing CJF under the bus read like Pitt fan-fiction.

Thanks for posting this - certainly not getting the attention his ZOMG HACK THRU CJF UNDER DA BUS!!! headline was getting, but nice to see the record set straight. It just didn't make sense for someone like Hack, who has been completely humble, gracious, and otherwise 'stand up' his entire time at Penn State, to suddenly blame everyone for his shortcomings. His throwing CJF under the bus read like Pitt fan-fiction.
Yeah....anyone in a public position is going to have those rumors about him or her.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT