ADVERTISEMENT

Beau Pribula should start next year.

"Arm talent". hahaha.

You must have LOVED Morelli, Bolden, and Hackenberg!
Yep, if you've looked at the recent PSU QBs that have succeeded here recently; M.Rob, Daryll Carter, McSorely, Mills and yes even Matt McGloin did not have big arms. They had moxie, leadership, toughness. The guys with "arm talent" haven't done well here as of late.

I want the guy who's going to lead us to victory not the guy with "arm talent". Yes in the NFL you need arm talent + these other attributes but in college you need a leader on the field who can make plays in key moments.

Yep, if you've looked at the recent PSU QBs that have succeeded here recently; M.Rob, Daryll Carter, McSorely, Mills and yes even Matt McGloin did not have big arms. They had moxie, leadership, toughness. The guys with "arm talent" haven't done well here as of late.

I want the guy who's going to lead us to victory not the guy with "arm talent". Yes in the NFL you need arm talent + these other attributes but in college you need a leader on the field who can make plays in key moments.
None of those guys you listed would ever win a title as a QB
It's on the coach to develop the truly talented kids into elite QB. Franklin continues to recruit pocket passers--develop the offense around that. Adding Fleming, who actually can run a route properly, is a start.

Hackenberg was inaccurate in HS. Even as a baseball pitcher in HS walked 40 batters in 25 2/3 innings, that has to be a record or something.
I am forever grateful that he chose us during that time of the Sandusky aftermath. At that time, he looked like the prototypical successful college/ NFL quarterback. Unfortunately, he never had consistency in his game.

Then was unlucky enough to be destroyed by the Jets, and then by Mike Singletary in that USFL wanna-be league. Just a real bad beat. With a better college coach he'd be an NFL Pro Bowler right now!

Heavy, heavy, heavy sarcasm intended.
Jets couldn't salvage him at that point--see David Carr after his start with the Texans
When a QB is broken there's usually no saving them

Agreed. QBs with minimal arm talent that aren't elite studs would never win a title. Take Stetson Bennett for example.

WHOOPS.
Stetson Bennett has way more arm strength than the guys you mentioned. And way more accurate.
They don't have to be an elite kid to win but they have to have the ability to make all the throw.
Trace threw 50/50 balls and was lucky enough to have Barkley. Trace wasn't good enough to win titles
But Allar on Georgia and they're still 12-1--Beau wouldn't be

Stetson Bennett has way more arm strength than the guys you mentioned. And way more accurate.
They don't have to be an elite kid to win but they have to have the ability to make all the throw.
Top notch job of completely bending reality to try and fit your argument.

I'm guessing this rocket armed, super accurate, 2 time National Championship winning quarterback was pretty high on draft boards, huh? Gotta be in the running for NFL Rookie of the Year, right?

Reactions: green2623
Top notch job of completely bending reality to try and fit your argument.

I'm guessing this rocket armed, super accurate, 2 time National Championship winning quarterback was pretty high on draft boards, huh? Gotta be in the running for NFL Rookie of the Year, right?
That is reality
Now you're talking about stars when you blame other. Bennett made an NFL roster, right?
You're just that person that always likes the backup. Watch every throw Beau made this season--he's not even in the same world as Allar. The TD to Singleton was late and behind him when he only had one read. See the pass (lateral) to Allar that a child could make that cost us 12 yards and killed a drive.
We all know Allar's starting next year unless we add someone from the portal. As he should.

So did McSorley and McGloin. Guys who "we could never win a title with".
So did Hack and others that you're bashing
Trace and Matty were never winning a title
Trace is probably the most overrated QB in the history of our program

So did Hack and others that you're bashing
Trace and Matty were never winning a title
Trace is probably the most overrated QB in the history of our program
Trace won a B10 title in 2016 and should’ve won it in 2017 which Trace broke every PSU passing record. The rocket arm stud is almost nonexistent these days. Pennix is probably closest to that and even he may not even be a first day pick. Look at the NFL and the top QBs are dual threat with Lamar, Mahomes, and Allen. Having the element of a QB that is a threat to run is huge. The super bowl last year was Hurts vs. Mahomes. Purdy is the exception and even he relies on quick throws and having a ridiculous running game with McCaffrey. Your living in the past with that thinking. I’m not saying Allar shouldn’t be the starter heading into next season. He does have a great arm and doesn’t turn the ball over, but there should always be a competition and I hope Franklin keeps an open mind.

Trace won a B10 title in 2016 and should’ve won it in 2017 which Trace broke every PSU passing record. The rocket arm stud is almost nonexistent these days. Pennix is probably closest to that and even he may not even be a first day pick. Look at the NFL and the top QBs are dual threat with Lamar, Mahomes, and Allen. Having the element of a QB that is a threat to run is huge. The super bowl last year was Hurts vs. Mahomes. Purdy is the exception and even he relies on quick throws and having a ridiculous running game with McCaffrey. Your living in the past with that thinking. I’m not saying Allar shouldn’t be the starter heading into next season. He does have a great arm and doesn’t turn the ball over, but there should always be a competition and I hope Franklin keeps an open mind.
Mahomes isn't a dual threat guy. Nor are most of the QBs in the playoffs. Goff Stafford Baker Dak Lawrence Flacco. Add Burrows and Cousins. JJ isn't a true dual threat. In fact only Milroe was of the 4 playoff teams. And Allar is capable of picking up yardage on the ground. If there's was going to be a competition we'd know. Allar would be gone. You don't think he got assurances?

Mahomes isn't a dual threat guy. Nor are most of the QBs in the playoffs. Goff Stafford Baker Dak Lawrence Flacco. Add Burrows and Cousins. JJ isn't a true dual threat. In fact only Milroe was of the 4 playoff teams. And Allar is capable of picking up yardage on the ground. If there's was going to be a competition we'd know. Allar would be gone. You don't think he got assurances?
Franklin is loyal to a fault especially with his QBs and I’m sure he assured Allar he’s the starter going into next year which he should. JJ had almost 400 yards rushing last year and was considered more of a dual threat until the OSU game when they forced him to throw and he responded with a monster game. He’s really developed into a complete QB and credit Harbaugh for that. Mahomes is absolutely a threat to run and only injuries have limited him running the past two years. Allar finally ran more against Ole Miss so hopefully he can keep defenses honest more next year, but that constant threat of the run is a big difference. Again not saying Allar shouldn’t be the guy going into next year, but I hope Franklin and AK keep an open mind.

There will be no QB "competition" because there does not need to be a competition. These are two entirely different quarterbacks. I believe Beau has some passing deficiencies that require surprise, but he runs too well to leave him on the sideline so much. The new OC, if he is smart, will use them both to their strengths. Beau could rotate in like a 3rd down back.

It will be a new offense and an expanded offense. I don't think Drew needs to come off the field to utilize Beau. I would use Beau in the slot/backfield and devise plays where he can be a runner, passer, receiver, or merely a decoy, even down field, to make the defense nervous. That can happen without silly "trick" plays that develop slowly.

To make this work it becomes imperative to grow the playbook each week. We have not seen weekly growth in decades, certainly not since Franklin came. That aspect of preparation needs to change.

Reactions: indynittany
He was--it's not even debatable.
those teams in 2014-15 were just not very good, and it was because of the scholarship limitations. that was the peak effect of the sanctions. I don't think it's likely that another coach would have done a lot more with those offenses. the real story is the recruiting services have never, ever been reliably able to identify the actual top QBs. they miss all the time. then we hear it was the coaches who ruined them. maybe it's just that they weren't actually one of the top QBs in the nation

Maye
those teams in 2014-15 were just not very good, and it was because of the scholarship limitations. that was the peak effect of the sanctions. I don't think it's likely that another coach would have done a lot more with those offenses. the real story is the recruiting services have never, ever been reliably able to identify the actual top QBs. they miss all the time. then we hear it was the coaches who ruined them. maybe it's just that they weren't actually one of the top QBs in the nation
Maybe but there's a theme being created with Franklin and pocket passers. Hack's biggest mistake was staying unfortunately.

Andy will make the call and this is big boy football, so hurt feelings aren't going to be a factor.

Beau will start and should start. He's the better player.

• Haha
Reactions: LandoComando
Allar is the second coming of Hack, same size, same throw and can’t find a receiver ever open

Maye
Maybe but there's a theme being created with Franklin and pocket passers. Hack's biggest mistake was staying unfortunately.
there is, and i don't understand why he is recruiting pocket passers. he had a style that fits another type of qb and has already had real success with that. so i am not sure what he is doing in general. but also there is a big issue with the recruiting services, and always has been. they have forever tagged certain HS QBs as top tier and they are nowhere close. Just think of some of the ones psu was in the mix for or landed - Kendra, Powlus, Casey, Simms, Morelli, Hackenberg. all of these guys were supposedly going to be legendary qbs

I don't understand why Allar would leave if there was a quarterback competition. Is there a lack of confidence in his ability to win a competition? It seems that quarterbacks in the past had some sort of competition, especially when Levis and Stevens were waiting in the wings.

I also don't understand why we should expect a great turnaround with Kotelnicki. Yurcich came with a pretty good resume and somewhat better than Kotelnicki. It included having coached Fields to his best year as a college QB at Ohio State. He also coached high producing teams at OK State and Texas. Yet, he failed at PSU?

I also don't understand why we should expect a great turnaround with Kotelnicki. Yurcich came with a pretty good resume and somewhat better than Kotelnicki. It included having coached Fields to his best year as a college QB at Ohio State. He also coached high producing teams at OK State and Texas. Yet, he failed at PSU?
It's clear what is happening. the issue is that PSU is contract-locked and all they can do is hire and fire coordinators until about 2027

Reactions: crm114psu
Allar is the second coming of Hack, same size, same throw and can’t find a receiver ever open
Actually he isn't: Hackenberg possessed the ability to function on the big stage, beating Michigan at home, nearly beating Ohio State, and playing well in the bigger games. Allar does not have the mental make up to compete under bright lights. It is what it is and it doesn't change. The staff needs to allow him to move on and play in the MAC or Sun Belt...

• Haha
Reactions: LandoComando
I don't understand why Allar would leave if there was a quarterback competition. Is there a lack of confidence in his ability to win a competition? It seems that quarterbacks in the past had some sort of competition, especially when Levis and Stevens were waiting in the wings.

No QB is going to stay after starting to compete for the job--see McCord
This is a different era. Kids will always leave now.

Well, I believe he should be given an opportunity to compete for the job. He shows flashes of the same “it” factor that Trace had. Trace did not have a great arm, but he was still able to complete downfield passes. I am not sure that Beau can throw the ball down field. We just haven’t seen it.
If Beau cannot throw the ball downfield, then why is he on scholarship?

Exactly why Beau may, not saying he is, but may be a better option. He can open up the offense as the opposing defenses need to account for Beau as he is a super dangerous runner. But lets be honest, Franklin would never start Beau over Allar.

Exactly why Beau may, not saying he is, but may be a better option. He can open up the offense as the opposing defenses need to account for Beau as he is a super dangerous runner. But lets be honest, Franklin would never start Beau over Allar.
And this is your problem. You're assuming he's Hack and Beau is Trace
Actually you have bigger issues--just the most recent one.

And this is your problem. You're assuming he's Hack and Beau is Trace
Actually you have bigger issues--just the most recent one.
I clearly said "may". My worry is, how much better could our QB/Wrs be, in key games, collectively next year? This year was a disaster, so they could be a little better than a disaster next year?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT