ADVERTISEMENT

Band you can't stand

Nobody ever said that you weren't allowed to not like the Beatles. However, you can not like a band and still acknowledge their greatness.
I'll give you an example. I don't like the majority of Elvis Presley's music. However, I can acknowledge that his influence on the development of rock and roll is incredibly significant. Same goes for Chuck Berry.

that's my take on the Beatles. Save a few songs, I cant stand them, but I fully recognize their impact on the music

and BTW … I love Elvis lol

Maybe that was a bit strong, but I prefer improvisational music. Some bands can pump out tunes and can play them with ease....great songs too. I can appreciate that too.....but I love live music. I love bands that can bend their songs, come in and out of them and do it cleanly. Sometimes it isn't cleanly, but the times it is....it's great. I don't want to see a packages best of show for the most part. I think most decent bands can do that....but not everyone will explore a little or mix it up.
I get it. Speaking of CCR, I do love John Fogerty’s memory of Woodstock as an aside. They were the biggest band in the world and got pushed by delays to playing to a zonked-out ocean of sleeping mud people in the middle of the night. In the middle of the set, Fogerty asked whether anyone was awake. Some guy out in the vast sea of people flicked his lighter and said something like “I’m with you John”, so CCR played the rest Of the set for that guy

I get it. Speaking of CCR, I do love John Fogerty’s memory of Woodstock as an aside. They were the biggest band in the world and got pushed by delays to playing to a zonked-out ocean of sleeping mud people in the middle of the night. In the middle of the set, Fogerty asked whether anyone was awake. Some guy out in the vast sea of people flicked his lighter and said something like “I’m with you John”, so CCR played the rest Of the set for that guy

That's a bit of a tall tale from John. Their Woodstock set came out recently and it kicks ass. Plenty of people were awake. You ever try to go to sleep on acid?

Reactions: TheGLOV
That's a bit of a tall tale from John. Their Woodstock set came out recently and it kicks ass. Plenty of people were awake. You ever try to go to sleep on acid?
speaking of stories from rock legends.. I read a book about the Memphis Mafia. apparently the Beatles were obsessed with Elvis and had to meet him. So when Elvis hosted them, they apparently were in awe and basically just stared at him... so he broke the ice and said "are we gonna jam or what"

so the Elvis and Beatles had an impromptu jam session … and no one recorded it. can you imagine what that tape would be worth today??

Nobody ever said that you weren't allowed to not like the Beatles. However, you can not like a band and still acknowledge their greatness.
I'll give you an example. I don't like the majority of Elvis Presley's music. However, I can acknowledge that his influence on the development of rock and roll is incredibly significant. Same goes for Chuck Berry.
Beatles had a few wonderfully raw rock and roll songs. But the vast majority of their stuff was simply masturbatory, as they actually did think they were bigger than god.

IT's nothing against the people. I'm simply discussing their music and how my head seemingly is ready to explode when they come on the radio. Moves like Jagger is arguably the worst song in the history of music.

Also, to the person who sent a cover of a Prince song, that's a Prince song.

LdN
So this isn’t a brilliantly written song?

All of those sound the same,over produced, shouty chorus, "rock" bands like Imagine Dragons, Panic at the Disco, Fallout Boy, etc. I'm sure there are others. When I hear that, I understand why some people just "go postal". America doesn't have a guns problem, it has a crappy music problem.
I call this the “wall of sound” syndrome

Reactions: BrewLion
The Ramones. Garage band that should have stayed there.
I’m so ANGRY with you
FYtPq0f.jpg

Christina Aguilera, Mariah Carey, Gwen Stefani, they took female vocals and drove it into the ditch with warbling and trying to carry notes way to long. Diana Ross, Ann Wilson, Linda Ronstadt, Yvonne Elliman are more pleasant on the ears.

Rock ----- Prince, i don't get the hidden mystery genius with Raspberry Beret etc.

Michael Mcdonald , annoying voice , drove the Doobies in another direction.

Blood , Sweat and Tears, just didn't like them.
But hear this. Recorded in one take

speaking of stories from rock legends.. I read a book about the Memphis Mafia. apparently the Beatles were obsessed with Elvis and had to meet him. So when Elvis hosted them, they apparently were in awe and basically just stared at him... so he broke the ice and said "are we gonna jam or what"

so the Elvis and Beatles had an impromptu jam session … and no one recorded it. can you imagine what that tape would be worth today??

The Beatles broke the ice so when Led Zeppelin got to meet him it was good times. He probably showed Bonzo his cars and guns.

The Beatles were songwriting and producing geniuses. I don't know too much about how good they could be live.

Bands/Artists I respect but would never pay money to see (or buy an album from):

U2
Bruce Springsteen
Nickelback*
Maroon 5
Matchbox 20
Creed
Hootie and the Blowfish

* Do not respect.

Reactions: PSUoh90
Damn, it came out? I know John ordered their performance to be taken out of the movie because he thought they played subpar. That’s good to hear.

Reactions: odshowtime
This is very easy, Maroon 5.

When I hear that crap I understand why the alien's heads exploded in Mars Attacks.

LdN

My choice as well. I change the station every time one of their songs starts to play. I can’t say that I know all of their songs, but there is an annoyance that is unmistakable.

I’m not into music that has what sounds like they have an orchestra of horns playing.
So that would be more 70s era Chicago. 80s Chicago that I am familiar with sounded more like Phil Collins’ leftovers.

Sorry, but I STILL hate The Ohio State University band!

They’re famous for spelling out the name of a university in Athens, OH: Ohio.

You think the Michigan State band spells out Michigan? I don’t think so.....

And I know the Kansas State band doesn’t spell out Kansas.

The Pennsylvania State University Marching Blue Band spelling out Penn? Not ever going to be seen in my lifetime.

SUGGESTION FOR tOSU: write smaller and get more band members!

Reactions: Zenophile
Sorry, but I STILL hate The Ohio State University band!

They’re famous for spelling out the name of a university in Athens, OH: Ohio.

You think the Michigan State band spells out Michigan? I don’t think so.....

And I know the Kansas State band doesn’t spell out Kansas.

The Pennsylvania State University Marching Blue Band spelling out Penn? Not ever going to be seen in my lifetime.

SUGGESTION FOR tOSU: write smaller and get more band members!

I hate their little hitler youth hats.

Dead fans always use that fallback. Music should be able to stand on its own. If you need drugs to really appreciate the music, the music is lacking. Their “explorations” are drug-fueled wankery - sorry.

Two legendary bands are Creedence and The Band. They made you envision swamps, back road hollers, late night revival meetings, infantry maneuvers etc - but aside from Levon from Arkansas, they were from California or Canada. Now that is talent - putting you into another place, another time without the practical experience. You can listen to either of those bands stone cold sober and go on the “trip” with them.

I put CCR and the Band in the same category as the Dead—no thanks you enjoy their music.

The Beatles were a boring, overproduced, boy band.
I realize that is an unpopular opinion, but I really don't give a shit. The Rolling Stones were/are better. I won't debate the matter. It is, after all, just opinion. Time to move on. I had a hard day's night and I need some rest. :)

Hopefully some rest will help clear your head. LOL.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT