ADVERTISEMENT

B1G has released the 2022-2025 conference schedules (Football)

michnittlion

Sep 3, 2003
Hit the link:

https://bigten.org/documents/2018/8/29//FUTURE_FOOTBALL_SCHEDULES_2022_25.pdf?id=6057

Points of interest:

1. Continued rotation of the B1G finale being either UMD, Rutgers or MSU.

2. We play Illinois (????) all 4 years as a cross-division foe. I guess the "parity scheduling" idea is going away?

3. 2022 & 2023, the first B1G game is on the road. 2024 & 2025, it's hosting Rutgers.

4. OSU & Michigan are back-to-back in 3 of the 4 years. Yikes. The one year that it is not (2023), we have back-to-back road games with OSU & MSU. 2023 also has 4 of the first 5 conference games on the road, which WTF? The B1G can do better than that.

Last edited:
Hit the link:

https://bigten.org/documents/2018/8/29//FUTURE_FOOTBALL_SCHEDULES_2022_25.pdf?id=6057

Points of interest:

2. We play Illinois (????) all 4 years as a cross-division foe. I guess the "parity scheduling" idea is going away?

3. 2022 & 2023, the first B1G game is on the road. 2024 & 2025, it's hosting Rutgers.

4. OSU & Michigan are back-to-back in 3 of the 4 years. Yikes. The one year that it is not (2023), we have back-to-back road games with OSU & MSU.

Hit the link:

Points of interest:

4. OSU & Michigan are back-to-back in 3 of the 4 years. Yikes. The one year that it is not (2023), we have back-to-back road games with OSU & MSU.
apparently, bt expects(or is hoping) illinois to get much better soon;).

I too noticed that we are getting OSU and UM back to back most years. UM gets us after another tough opponent in each of the 4 years.

2023 has a murderer's row in October:
  • 10/14 @ MSU
  • 10/21 @ OSU
  • 10/28 vs. Iowa
  • 11/4 vs. UM

Penn State @ Purdue is on Labor Day weekend in 2022. I could see that moving to Thursday or Friday. Purdue hosts Northwestern tomorrow night.

I really don't like opening the year against the conference but I agree that may be a Thursday night game

I too noticed that we are getting OSU and UM back to back most years. UM gets us after another tough opponent in each of the 4 years.

2023 has a murderer's row in October:
  • 10/14 @ MSU
  • 10/21 @ OSU
  • 10/28 vs. Iowa
  • 11/4 vs. UM

Could be worse--if Iowa was on the road that would be impossible. At Michigan State then at Ohio State is ridiculous scheduling

We've had a protected game against Iowa the last 4 years from the West. That goes away and we will play Illinois every year from the West, 2022-2025. Nice. While we were playing Iowa every year, Ohio State has gotten Nebraska every year who has been a shitshow. Now they face Wisconsin every year 2022-2025. Michigan has Nebraska every year for that stretch.

Having to play Ohio State and Michigan back to back in 2021, 2022, 2024, and 2025 is horseshit. Explain how that randomly happens.

Last edited:
Reactions: nits74
I mean...we have Illinois 4 times, Purdue & Minnesota twice then the good teams (Iowa, NW, Nebraska and Wisconsin) once...not thrilled about that.

OSU got screwed in 2025. That year they scheduled 2 big OOC games in @ Texas and vs. Washington. The B1G gave them crossover games @ Wisconsin and @ Iowa that season, and they also have the usual B1G East meatgrinder of PSU, MSU and UM. That's a hell of a schedule.

OSU got screwed in 2025. That year they scheduled 2 big OOC games in @ Texas and vs. Washington. The B1G gave them crossover games @ Wisconsin and @ Iowa that season, and they also have the usual B1G East meatgrinder of PSU, MSU and UM. That's a hell of a schedule.
Some how there OOC schedule will change because they wont want to play that many good teams.

Reactions: PSUFBFAN

So maybe the Big Ten doesn't cater to them? lol :)

My personal opinion....
None of this matters b/c the conference will expand by then, and all of this will be moot.

Reactions: ChiTownLion
For that four year run the annual cross over games are as follows:
  • Penn State - Illinois
  • Ohio State - Wisconsin
  • Michigan - Nebraska
  • Michigan State - Minnesota
  • Rutgers - Iowa
  • Maryland - Northwestern
  • Indiana - Purdue (permanent)
Maybe Illinois will be improved by then but it beats the monotony of playing Iowa.

Last edited:
Reactions: NedFromYork
I was actually going to start a thread on this. I know this got lost in the kerfuffle about the OOC scheduling, but this is potentially much bigger news.

Just to clarify: the Big Ten conference scheduling works in 6 year cycles. Every six years, a team plays one cross-division opponent every year (alternating home and away). The other 6 opponents in the other division get rotated so they are played twice in a six year period -- once home, once away each.

For 2016-2021, we play Iowa every year. In general, those "fixed" matchups are supposed to be based on team strength (e.g. Michigan plays Wisconsin, Ohio state plays Nebraska). So, with the next cycle, you'd have expected us to pick up, say, Nebraska or Wisconsin. But we got... Illinois. It's odd. Having it be Illinois sucks for our schedule (I'm thinking more in terms of a ticket buying fan here, who would rather be playing the Huskers or Badgers for 6 years) but it does make things potentially easier to win the conference.

I just don't know the thought process here from the conference.

I mean...we have Illinois 4 times, Purdue & Minnesota twice then the good teams (Iowa, NW, Nebraska and Wisconsin) once...not thrilled about that.

In 2022-2027, we'll play Illinois 6 times and the other Big Ten West teams each twice.

2026 will see us play Illinois at home, Northwestern at home, and @ Iowa
2027 will see us play @Illinois, @ Nebraska, and Wisconsin at home

It's a six year cycle, it's just that they only published the first 4 years of it.

4. OSU & Michigan are back-to-back in 3 of the 4 years. Yikes. The one year that it is not (2023), we have back-to-back road games with OSU & MSU. 2023 also has 4 of the first 5 conference games on the road, which WTF? The B1G can do better than that.
2023 will be a strange year. As noted in Tom's pinned thread there are two open dates, one of which will be filled with a game while the other will remain open. If the later date of Nov. 11 is filled with a game (which will be the seventh home game), it will be four consecutive home games from late October thru mid November. That would flip the script from prior years when the home games were loaded toward the beginning of the season due to OOC games. Shifting some conference games to earlier weekends in September is a good thing.

2023 will be a strange year. As noted in Tom's pinned thread there are two open dates, one of which will be filled with a game while the other will remain open. If the later date of Nov. 11 is filled with a game (which will be the seventh home game), it will be four consecutive home games from late October thru mid November. That would flip the script from prior years when the home games were loaded toward the beginning of the season due to OOC games. Shifting some conference games to earlier weekends in September is a good thing.

In 2023 --- the VERY logical thing to do (Sandy Barbour should be on the telephone to get this settled NOW) would be to move the Iowa @ Penn State game from 28-October to 11-November. Iowa is already off that day. Schedule the remaining OOC game (likely some MAC cupcake) for 30-September.

That accomplishes a number of things:

1. Bye week before Michigan.

2. Breaks up a murderous stretch of "@ MSU, @ OSU, Iowa, Michigan." It instead makes it a less-murderous stretch of "@ MSU, @ OSU, Bye, Michigan, Iowa."

3. Makes the entire schedule a more logical H-H-A-A-H-H-A-A-Bye-H-H-H-A. You're playing 8 straight games before the bye instead of potentially 10 straight games.

4. It's simply going to be easier to find an OOC game for 30-September vs 11-November.

Iowa would, of course, have to agree with this idea. But it makes sense when you look at their schedule too. They'd get their bye closer to mid-season as well.

Also theoretically possible is asking Michigan to move the U-M @ PSU game from 4-November to 30-September. I don't think Michigan would go for that though. I think they like the bye week prior to MSU and it's a bit beneficial for them to get us at the end of a very tough stretch of schedule. If we did that, we'd be locked into a weird OOC home game in early November.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT