ADVERTISEMENT

B1G and SEC meeting to "look at the entire sports landscape"

That is not what the SEC wants. They want the biggest payout, and you can only get that with a NATIONAL TV deal. They need the BIG for that.
Yeah, this is where the B1G was smart is signing up the cream of the west coast crop as well as having PSU and Rutgers (NE USA). SEC reaches the SE quadrant. B1G reaches NY to CA.

Yeah, this is where the B1G was smart is signing up the cream of the west coast crop as well as having PSU and Rutgers (NE USA). SEC reaches the SE quadrant. B1G reaches NY to CA.

The BIG will also have an excellent shot at adding FSU, and possibly UNC.

I think two 24 team conferences would be enough to form a Premier Division.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
The BIG will also have an excellent shot at adding FSU, and possibly UNC.

I think two 24 team conferences would be enough to form a Premier Division.
I'm fascinated with how we'll reach the 24-team conferences. Last October, Ross Dellinger of Yahoo! Sports reported that the Big Ten made a list of desirable schools in 2022 for further expansion beyond UCLA and USC. Along with Oregon and Washington, those schools were:

- Arizona
- California
- Clemson
- Florida State
- Kansas
- North Carolina
- Notre Dame
- Pittsburgh
- Stanford
- Virginia

Out of that list, there are at least four sure bets to be included: Florida State, North Carolina, Notre Dame*, and Virginia; you could likely add Clemson to this mix as well. Those five plus one more would be 40 schools counting the Big Ten’s existing 18 member schools and the SEC’s 16.

That’s not even considering Miami and other AAU institutions that could garner consideration from the Big Ten or SEC (e.g., Arizona State, Colorado, Duke, Georgia Tech, Utah, even Virginia Tech by 2025).

I think it’s safe to say that any future Big Ten or SEC expansion will consist of a number of schools listed above… the question becomes how many and which conference they end up in? And heck, this isn’t even factoring in potential relegation among existing Big Ten/SEC members!

I'm fascinated with how we'll reach the 24-team conferences. Last October, Ross Dellinger of Yahoo! Sports reported that the Big Ten made a list of desirable schools in 2022 for further expansion beyond UCLA and USC. Along with Oregon and Washington, those schools were:

- Arizona
- California
- Clemson
- Florida State
- Kansas
- North Carolina
- Notre Dame
- Pittsburgh
- Stanford
- Virginia

Out of that list, there are at least four sure bets to be included: Florida State, North Carolina, Notre Dame*, and Virginia; you could likely add Clemson to this mix as well. Those five plus one more would be 40 schools counting the Big Ten’s existing 18 member schools and the SEC’s 16.

That’s not even considering Miami and other AAU institutions that could garner consideration from the Big Ten or SEC (e.g., Arizona State, Colorado, Duke, Georgia Tech, Utah, even Virginia Tech by 2025).

I think it’s safe to say that any future Big Ten or SEC expansion will consist of a number of schools listed above… the question becomes how many and which conference they end up in? And heck, this isn’t even factoring in potential relegation among existing Big Ten/SEC members!
Agreed. In my mind is the question "will the B1G and SEC achieve 'coopetition" or will they go to war?" If they cooperate, they can join forces to cover the entire nation (if they can get AZ). If they go to war, the B1G needs to move quickly into the southeast so they get a foothold in the fastest growing areas of the country (NC, SC, VA, GA, FL).

Agreed. In my mind is the question "will the B1G and SEC achieve 'coopetition" or will they go to war?" If they cooperate, they can join forces to cover the entire nation (if they can get AZ). If they go to war, the B1G needs to move quickly into the southeast so they get a foothold in the fastest growing areas of the country (NC, SC, VA, GA, FL).
Judging by the Big Ten and SEC’s joint advisory group, I wouldn’t be surprised if they cooperate. Then again, the U.S. and the Soviet Union were allied forces at one time… :oops:

If they actually go to war, it again becomes interesting to speculate who would be the proactive party: the Big Ten looking to expand into the southeast, or the SEC looking to protect it?

Reactions: Obliviax
Judging by the Big Ten and SEC’s joint advisory group, I wouldn’t be surprised if they cooperate. Then again, the U.S. and the Soviet Union were allied forces at one time… :oops:

If they actually go to war, it again becomes interesting to speculate who would be the proactive party: the Big Ten looking to expand into the southeast, or the SEC looking to protect it?
Well, while the SEC is the better football conference, money talks. With the coverage of the B1G, the SEC had better concern themselves if they have a down year or two. It may get away from them. In the meantime, the SEC needs the coverage the B1G gets. At this time, I think the B1G is well positioned.

Well, while the SEC is the better football conference, money talks. With the coverage of the B1G, the SEC had better concern themselves if they have a down year or two. It may get away from them. In the meantime, the SEC needs the coverage the B1G gets. At this time, I think the B1G is well positioned.
Absolutely. Whereas the SEC has concentrated itself it’s the southeast and southwest regions, the Big Ten is a true national conference. I think your conference could solidify itself as the premier league if they:

1. Land Notre Dame
2. Beat the SEC to FSU, UNC, and the other viable candidates from the ACC

Adding an extra footprint or two on the west coast wouldn’t hurt, either. At that point, the SEC’s only options are likely to expand their reach are NC State and Virginia Tech.

Another thought surrounding this thread: Let’s say the so-called CFB Super League, perhaps anywhere from 28-32 members, becomes a reality. This involves the biggest brands from the Big Ten and SEC (plus Notre Dame and a few ACC schools) breaking off from their existing conferences to create their own conference/sub-division/organization.

What I never hear discussed is what happens to everyone who gets left behind? At that point, there’d be about ~40 P5 schools remaining. Would the conferences simply backfill and/or consolidate? Perhaps they create their own “super league” with a few existing G5 schools and break off from the rest of the FBS/NCAA themselves? Would they have their own championship; if so, how would it be perceived?

Another thought surrounding this thread: Let’s say the so-called CFB Super League, perhaps anywhere from 28-32 members, becomes a reality. This involves the biggest brands from the Big Ten and SEC (plus Notre Dame and a few ACC schools) breaking off from their existing conferences to create their own conference/sub-division/organization.

What I never hear discussed is what happens to everyone who gets left behind? At that point, there’d be about ~40 P5 schools remaining. Would the conferences simply backfill and/or consolidate? Perhaps they create their own “super league” with a few existing G5 schools and break off from the rest of the FBS/NCAA themselves? Would they have their own championship; if so, how would it be perceived?
The remaining teams from the ACC and Big XII merge and they may pick up a few others. Yes, they'd have their own championship and it would we well-received because there's existing fan bases.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT