ADVERTISEMENT

Auburn is not a top 15 team at all

Pennoyer

Jul 24, 2001
So tired of the SEC hype. 4 Big 10 teams would beat Auburn by double digits. Alabama and Georgia are obviously elite teams. Beyond that, the best SEC teams are middle of the road Big 10 teams (Mich, NW, Iowa).

Watching the game I can't help but think Penn State would beat Auburn like a drum. It would be another case of a supposed unstoppable defense that Penn State would hang 35+ on and Auburn's offense is bad.

So tired of the SEC hype. 4 Big 10 teams would beat Auburn by double digits. Alabama and Georgia are obviously elite teams. Beyond that, the best SEC teams are middle of the road Big 10 teams (Mich, NW, Iowa).
Not so sure Bama and Georgia are elite. They beat mostly bad teams and middle of the road SEC teams which are proving to be weak.

I can see saying we're better than them. But not a top 15 team when they beat 2 playoff teams? Top 15? They beat those two elite teams. They put up a great fight against Clemson. Auburn's a top 10 team. The top 10 have to include, IMO, Clemson, OU, Bama, Georgia, Penn State, Ohio State, Wisconsin, Auburn....probably TCU....it gets real tough this year after the first 8. UCF if they win this obviously.

they are certainly being treated well by the refs. Refs didn't call pass defense holding on a rb getting tackled while trying to get out for a screen. Instead, refs said no penalty because it was a play action pass. The only problem is, there was absolutely no play action on the play. They literally made up facts to not call the penalty.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
He didn't wrap up to tackle him. He clotheslined him. Pretty sure Milton did a slight hand check, but it's a terrible call. I think the ref who threw the flag actually was thinking intentional grounding.

I can see saying we're better than them. But not a top 15 team when they beat 2 playoff teams? Top 15? They beat those two elite teams. They put up a great fight against Clemson. Auburn's a top 10 team. The top 10 have to include, IMO, Clemson, OU, Bama, Georgia, Penn State, Ohio State, Wisconsin, Auburn....probably TCU....it gets real tough this year after the first 8. UCF if they win this obviously.

I would put USC, Washington, MSU, Okla St, and TCU ahead of them for sure. Miami and ND are possibilities.

I honestly don't care if they beat two playoff teams because neither of those playoff teams has beaten anyone that would warrant them being playoff teams. If those teams win today I would reconsider my opinion but I have watched Auburn play 4 times now and literally wasn't the least bit impressed with any aspect especially their coaching. Poorly coached

He didn't wrap up to tackle him. He clotheslined him. Pretty sure Milton did a slight hand check, but it's a terrible call. I think the ref who threw the flag actually was thinking intentional grounding.
SEC SEC SEc Sec sec..........Saw auburn earlier in the year and they looked anemic on offense then also

I would put USC, Washington, MSU, Okla St, and TCU ahead of them for sure. Miami and ND are possibilities.

I honestly don't care if they beat two playoff teams because neither of those playoff teams has beaten anyone that would warrant them being playoff teams. If those teams win today I would reconsider my opinion but I have watched Auburn play 4 times now and literally wasn't the least bit impressed with any aspect especially their coaching. Poorly coached

Wow--to each their own. TCU I understand. Miami and the Pac XII teams aren't even close. Michigan State can be a good argument if Auburns loses today. I don't get the love affair with OK State to be honest but, again, to each their own. The fact they played four games against playoff teams and won 2 is going to trump pretty much any argument though

Have you guys forgotten Auburn beat Georgia and Alabama? How excited do you think we would have been to play the likes of UCF (good team or no)? I mean, Washington wasn't even a very exciting team to play despite them being a very good team. It matters in college football.

Pitt did beat the National champion and the Big 10 champion last year. Granted, Auburn at least has a winning record.

So, 1 playoff team :)
And, yes, Auburn actually did well in other games. Pitt was solid last year.
Again, saying Auburn is overrated is fair. Not top 15? I just can't make that happen

Have you guys forgotten Auburn beat Georgia and Alabama? How excited do you think we would have been to play the likes of UCF (good team or no)? I mean, Washington wasn't even a very exciting team to play despite them being a very good team. It matters in college football.

Also a great point

I agree with you on that one. I can't imagine anyone associated with Auburn is all that fired up about playing in or attending this game. I know I was hoping that PSU could avoid a UCF matchup because there was nothing to gain from it. You win, you're supposed to win (Auburn was a 12-point favorite at kickoff) and if you lose, everyone is all over you for losing to UCF. So the motivation factor, especially after losing the SEC title game in the same stadium and especially because you're playing a bowl game in Atlanta which isn't much of a bowl trip as it is, is a big deal for a team like Auburn.

You really know how to wreck a fantasy thread don't you.......

If UCF beats Auburn and Alabama wins the playoffs, UCF should claim a national championship for more controversy. After all, they would be undefeated and have beaten the team that Alabama lost to. I’m sure they could hire the Pitt athletic department to help with their case.

You are basing this upon watching one half of a game?
You call Bama and Georgia elite teams, but Auburn beat them both this season. And looked dominating in those wins.

13-3 at half. UCF wins and it questions the whole concept of two sec teams being in the playoffs. I don't think the committee got it right. How does an Auburn loss effect the rankings? As mentioned Georgia and Alabama lost to a team that is losing to a number twelve seed? The sec seems to be overrated right now. Let's see, in the playoff only one team can escape with only one loss; so I guess they win and UCF could be undefeated. How is this working out; the intention was to create less controversy, i.e. win it on the field. The selection committee are like many, pompous idiots. Something needs to change. I leave to the rest to argue it out. but this is just as much of a mess as the bowl system. Last question who is the best two loss team after the ahh..cough...hem championship?

So, 1 playoff team :)
And, yes, Auburn actually did well in other games. Pitt was solid last year.
Again, saying Auburn is overrated is fair. Not top 15? I just can't make that happen

I didn't say Auburn wasn't top 15. I'm saying you can't hang anything merely on two wins.

And committees make mistakes. Penn State and USC would have made better 3/4 seeds in last year's playoff. UCF looking like they deserved the 4 seed perhaps. They got as much right to drop a game to Clemson 31-0 as anybody else, no?

Reactions: green2623
....see the Cocks vs scUM to prove your point

So, why is PSU ranked so highly? If you can't hang anything on Auburn's wins vs Bama and UGA, what PSU wins make us so impressive?

I guess because someone has to be #9. As you can see, in comparison to our peers, we are among the lower rated 2-loss teams and even behind a 3 loss team.

The flaw in the logic of saying "Auburn beat two playoff teams" is that they weren't put in the playoff. If their wins mattered, you at least put them in over Bama. Georgia at least has the CCG rematch win to support them.

You can't have it both ways. Yet, the discussion is leaned on both sides to reach whatever argument is being made.

Not so sure Bama and Georgia are elite. They beat mostly bad teams and middle of the road SEC teams which are proving to be weak.
I think they are both about to be pantsed over the rest of the night. Short of Michigan choke , SEC could have been looking down barrel of 0-5 on NY Day.

Just because you say this crap doesn't make it TRUE!!!! Auburn has FOUR losses; all deserved! They have wins against two so-called elite teams who did nothing more than beat up on a bunch of questionable other teams in the questionable SEC!!!!! Buckie, just go away!!!

So--the top 7 is the 4 playoff teams and the 3 Big Ten teams. UCF is probably 8 (we'll see if they jump us). Then you probably have TCU, Auburn, Michigan State, Oklahoma State & Notre Dame in some order. USC/Washington round out the top 15.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT