• Army

Votes: 35 74.5%
  • Navy

Votes: 12 25.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cosmos

May 29, 2001
As a former Marine I have no affinity for the rust pickers. They gave us a ride whenever there was a fight to be fought. Go Army! Beat Navy!

Reactions: fairgambit
As a former Marine I have no affinity for the rust pickers. They gave us a ride whenever there was a fight to be fought. Go Army! Beat Navy!

My Dad and I both served in the Army. I recently visited West Point. I get sea sick on ships.

fbc8ec2124d6d71704285c8df554614a.jpg

Dad was a career Marine, I served in the Army, but knew too many smarmy West Point grads - Go Navy!

My Dad and I both served in the Army. I recently visited West Point. I get sea sick on ships.

fbc8ec2124d6d71704285c8df554614a.jpg

Visiting West Point is on my wifie’s bicket list. She was scheduled to visit while her good friend’s son was a Cadet but it fell through at the last minute. Any suggestions you have from your experience would be appreciated Fair.
Dad was a WWII Navy vet and brother served in the Army. I am rooting for the Cadets today simply because they got their ears boxed 14 times in a row until recently.

Ex-wife's husband is a navy academy grad and he goes every other year. He is, really, a great guy and I get along just fine with them. But can't bring myself to root for Navy anymore (while I did in my youth).

Visiting West Point is on my wifie’s bicket list. She was scheduled to visit while her good friend’s son was a Cadet but it fell through at the last minute. Any suggestions you have from your experience would be appreciated Fair.
Dad was a WWII Navy vet and brother served in the Army. I am rooting for the Cadets today simply because they got their ears boxed 14 times in a row until recently.

Sorry your wife missed West Point. If she was going to visit a Cadet, she may have had better access than we did. We took one of the guided bus tours, which is pretty much required for most other people to get into West Point. http://westpointtours.com/
There is only one company that runs them, so it's just a matter of picking which tour you want, and the time. We took the one that ran about an hour and 15 minutes and I thought it was just right. You spend about 70% of the time off the bus. We purchased our tickets online in advance and picked up the tickets at the Visitors Center which is just outside West Point. Adjacent to the Visitors Center they have the West Point Museum, which is terrific. Admission is to the Museum is free. We had lunch in one the restaurants in Highland Falls, which is the little town just outside of West Point. The name escapes me, and the food was decent, but we were only looking for a light lunch so we ate and headed for the Visitors Center.

After spending the day at West Point, we drove on to Sleepy Hollow NY, which is about 20 miles away, and stayed there 2 days. While there we toured the Rockefeller Estate, the Lyndhurst Mansion, and the home of Washington Irving (who, of course, wrote The Legend of Sleepy Hollow). There is a Cemetery there where a lot of famous people are buried, including John D. Rockefeller, Andrew Carnegie, Leona Helmsley (her modest resting place is pictured below), Washington Irving, and Walter Chrysler. We were there in October and the whole place (the town, not the cemetery) was ready for Halloween. We had a great time.

That's kind of a brief overview. If you need any more input, let me know.

Leona Helmsley is buried here.
10404c48-5ee0-4686-9327-385da396c3b8_d.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry your wife missed West Point. If she was going to visit a Cadet, she may have had better access than we did. We took one of the guided bus tours, which is pretty much required for most people to get into West Point. http://westpointtours.com/
There is only one company that runs them, so it's just much a matter of picking which tour you want, and the time. We took the one that ran about an hour and 15 minutes and I thought it was just right. You spend about 70% of the time off the bus. We purchased our tickets online in advance and picked up the tickets at the Visitors Center which is just outside West Point. Adjacent to the Visitors Center they have the West Point Museum, which is terrific. Admission is to the Museum is free. We had lunch in one the restaurants in Highland Falls, which is the little town just outside of West Point. The name escapes me, and the food was decent, but we were only looking for a light lunch so we ate and headed for the Visitors Center.

After spending the day at West Point, we drove on to Sleepy Hollow NY, which is about 20 miles away, and stayed there 2 days. While there we toured the Rockefeller Estate, the Lyndhurst Mansion, and the home of Washington Irving (who, of course, wrote The Legend of Sleepy Hollow). There is a Cemetery there where a lot of famous people are buried, including John D. Rockefeller, Andrew Carnegie, Leona Helmsley (her modest resting place is pictured below), Washington Irving, and Walter Chrysler. We were there in October and the whole place (the town, not the cemetery) was ready for Halloween. We had a great time.

That's kind of a brief overview. If you need any more input, let me know.

Leona Helmsley is buried here.
10404c48-5ee0-4686-9327-385da396c3b8_d.jpg

Outstanding! Thanks for the input. Printed out and handed to Wifey! Just for you Fair (WWESRCD - What Would EricStratton-RushChairman Do?)...
DSC_1649.jpg

Reactions: fairgambit
Ah, the memories! Wouldn't trade that experience, and it was an experience, for anything. What a batshit crazy nine weeks that was. Still makes me laugh.
It toughens you up for the rest of your life. But at the time (during Viet Nam), it was surreal. Those memories are still pretty vivid. This movie really captured it for me. Anyway this is supposed to be about the football game, so Go Army.

I usually hate low scoring games, but this has been a very well played even matchup. Atmosphere sounds and looks great.

The chippiest Army - Navy game I’ve ever seen.....both ways. Very surprising.

Officials should have nipped it in the bud early in the game.

Shocking, that Navy linebacker embarrassed himself on the goal line with eye gouge efforts. I really hope that was an accident, looked bad

I guess it doesn't matter but on that long Navy 4th down play before their touchdown number 67 had a pancake block for the ages

Agree, though I thought Navy's behavior was a little worse. Their #13 showed a lack of discipline that one would not expect among these guys.

I tuned in to see classy play and did not get it. Sign of the times I guess.

Agree, though I thought Navy's behavior was a little worse. Their #13 showed a lack of discipline that one would not expect among these guys.

I tuned in to see classy play and did not get it. Sign of the times I guess.

As I said, I was REALLY surprised. Don’t ever really recall seeing anything in past years.....as you said, a sign of the times.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Ah, the memories! Wouldn't trade that experience, and it was an experience, for anything. What a batshit crazy nine weeks that was. Still makes me laugh.

The whole thing was insane. Controlled insanity. But also the richest three months of my life. And yeah, some of it was pretty hilarious -- even at the time. I left there with so many stories, which my kids have enjoyed a lot over the years. Seriously, I could write a book except nobody would believe it. But Full Metal Jacket captures the experience pretty well.

Here's one funny (and absolutely true) story:

It was right before Christmas, and my mother had sent me a tin of chocolate chip cookies. (I knew they were chocolate chip cookies because she informed me in a prior letter.)

As per standard boot camp practice, the cookies were promptly confiscated by the drill instructors and placed in a large closet located in their office in the recruit barracks.

An idea took hold in my brain (and stomach) for moving the cookies from the closet to my mouth. I pulled barracks watch one afternoon shortly after Christmas. (Barracks watch was a duty that rotated among recruits and entailed standing guard over the M-16's while the platoon was at chow. Afterward, the recruit would run over to the chow hall and eat with another platoon.)

My plan was to sneak into the DI's office while the platoon was away, find the tin in the closet, rapidly consume the cookies while leaving a handful there to cover my tracks, and then execute a clean get-away.

The problem was that there would only be a brief window of time available to pull the thing off. Also, the general area was swarming with drill instructors, any one of whom could saunter through the barracks at any time. If I were to be caught trespassing in a DI office and rummaging through the closet there, I would be the deadest of Dead Meat.

Nevertheless, I was hungry all the time down there, and the thought of homemade chocolate chip cookies was overpowering. So on that fateful day, I took a deep breath...and activated the plan. Speed was of the essence. I darted into the office, dashed over to the closet, searched frantically and...Eureka!! The tin!!

Snatching the lid off, I started shoveling cookies into my mouth at lightning speed. No exaggeration: I crammed in at least 15 cookies in the space of 30 seconds, one cookie every two seconds, being very careful to keep my mouth positioned above the tin itself so there would not be crumbs all over the place.

I left a layer of 5 or so at the bottom, reasoning that if one of the DI's were to open the tin, he would conclude that one of the other DI's had been helping himself to the cookies. Or at worst, if questioned, I could claim that my mother had only sent five or six cookies because she knew I would not be allowed to eat more than that.

But honestly, I wasn't worried about being found out after the fact because: A) the DI's would have to open a tin that did not belong to them in order to discover the deed; and B) they would never believe that any recruit could possibly be dumb, er, daring enough to attempt a heist of cookies from their own closet in their own office.

In any case, after inhaling most of the cookies in the tin, I quickly and carefully put it back where I found it and scampered out of the office. Mission accomplished. The entire deed took all of two minutes, if that.

Well, I felt a considerable sense of satisfaction afterward. Also, I never did get the tin back and do wonder who ended up eating the few remaining cookies there. One thing for sure: I was not inclined to inquire on Graduation Day.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT