ADVERTISEMENT

Are they paying Moorehead enough?

Stop the nonsense. Moorhead is gonna leave if the O continues to thrive. I hope they pay him top Coordinator money, about 2 million. However, with continued success, he will be offered double that and a long term deal at an attractive P5 university. I'm gonna wish he has lots of offers, since that means PSU is killing it. If he leaves, Trace and Tommy will have digested his O and PSU will be better for everything JM has done........and JM will have tons of money and the HC opportunity he deserves. Its going to be alright.

I love that they quoted someone in the story via twitter with 280 followers....reporting is so easy now a days.

Morehead will bolt when TM graduates. Ricky Rahne is being groomed as his replacement although the HC at Fordham has already been groomed!

You guys are having fun but.....in the late 80s at the school where I was the AD, we had a great point guard with, you guessed it, the same last name. At every home game for what seemed like an eternity, the cheerleaders and the student section chanted "More Head, More Head." Not a damn thing I could do about it and had to try hard not to laugh.

Morehead will bolt when TM graduates. Ricky Rahne is being groomed as his replacement although the HC at Fordham has already been groomed!

Moorhead is going to be a head coach soon, probably next season. He's been clear that it's his goal.

If Penn State has the kind of success that's expected this year, he'll have Power 5 head coach offers. An offensive guru who the players love playing for, and he's been a successful head coach -- eminently well qualified. If he doesn't get the offer he wants, he could stay another year but I'd be shocked if he's at PSU after 2018.

Rahne would be a logical choice, or Limegrover who was a coordinator but got caught in the upheaval at Minnesota.

You guys are having fun but.....in the late 80s at the school where I was the AD, we had a great point guard with, you guessed it, the same last name. At every home game for what seemed like an eternity, the cheerleaders and the student section chanted "More Head, More Head." Not a damn thing I could do about it and had to try hard not to laugh.

Give 'em what they want. :eek:

I don't think McSorley has anything to do with the decision.

Stop the nonsense. Moorhead is gonna leave if the O continues to thrive. I hope they pay him top Coordinator money, about 2 million. However, with continued success, he will be offered double that and a long term deal at an attractive P5 university. I'm gonna wish he has lots of offers, since that means PSU is killing it. If he leaves, Trace and Tommy will have digested his O and PSU will be better for everything JM has done........and JM will have tons of money and the HC opportunity he deserves. Its going to be alright.
Best case scenario- He stays for a couple more years, and hopefully one of his assistants can continue the magic. Also, if he goes outside the Big10 that would be nice.

Best case scenario- He stays for a couple more years, and hopefully one of his assistants can continue the magic. Also, if he goes outside the Big10 that would be nice.
PSU seems to have a good relationship with Fordham. Andrew Jackson, a PSU Grad Asst. has landed on the staff there. Someone JM groomed there may be in the pipeline.

Agree if a power 5 conference wants him PSU won't stand in his way. It's the nature of the sports business.
But of course there are some who think PSU is the exception to everything.

Reactions: artsandletters
He's been clear that it's his goal.
While I'm not saying that he will stay here indefinitely, he actually has been somewhat noncommittal in my opinion, espousing the benefits of being an offensive coordinator as opposed to head coach and indicating that coaching for Penn State is a great opportunity. Last year he virtually dismissed overtures from other schools out of hand, and I heard a quote this year that said he's deal with things as they came along.

While I'm not saying that he will stay here indefinitely, he actually has been somewhat noncommittal in my opinion, espousing the benefits of being an offensive coordinator as opposed to head coach and indicating that coaching for Penn State is a great opportunity. Last year he virtually dismissed overtures from other schools out of hand, and I heard a quote this year that said he's deal with things as they came along.

I wouldn't read too much into Moorhead spurning HC opportunities this past off season. Any coach with half a brain, and most fall well short, would hold out for a school where he has some chance of success.

Look at it another way: how many OCs have had a long, ten years or more, tenure at a single school? Not many. They either get a better offer (HC or better school) or they get fired. Eventually the guys on the other side of the ball figure out how to stop you and there are precious few who can reinvent themselves enough to prevent that.

Agree if a power 5 conference wants him PSU won't stand in his way. It's the nature of the sports business.
But of course there are some who think PSU is the exception to everything.
For a fan base that liberally criticizes JVP for "staying too long" there is a distinct fear of change.

Well maybe if you took her out once in a while and treated her well maybe you wouldn't have to yell for it.

True. I take her our every once in a while, and it definitely pays off. I think she's just starved for attention.

That article is just stupid. First, the first two years for Franklin were about keeping the program together and recruiting for the future. The third year had a lot more talent and depth than previous years, and the team was ahead of schedule. I don't think anyone other than them expected to win the B10 so soon.. Remember how there was not even enough Olinemen the first year. Second, we will never know what the Assistant coaches are being paid unless they decide to tell us. Third, Joe Mo has said money is third on the priority list after personal and professional situations. Fourth, Joe Mo system is great but I think Limegrover deserves a little love with the Oline. Franklin has put together a great staff.

Joe Mo will leave when he gets the right opportunity. It is no secret that he wants to be a head coach, but as shown already, he isn't just going to take just any head coaching job.

Where does this stuff that Franklin was on the hot seat come from? How could he possibly been on the hot seat considering the situation he was in and he won at Vanderbilt. VANDERBILT. They've continued to have tremendous success since he left. These people pay too much attention to Davy Boy Jones.

Villanova once had a point guard named Chubby Cox. I think it was sometime in the 70s. At a game at the Palestra, the fans from another Big5 school unrolled a banner which made it on TV which said Villanova cheerleaders love Chubby Cox.

Reactions: marshall23 and RTLH
Villanova once had a point guard named Chubby Cox. I think it was sometime in the 70s. At a game at the Palestra, the fans from another Big5 school unrolled a banner which made it on TV which said Villanova cheerleaders love Chubby Cox.
Just as good as when an announcer was praising an assistant coach. Said he would get a good head job soon!

If Pitt was smart, when they can Doozie after this year, they would pony up the $ to make a run at Moorhead. PA ties, started his coaching career as a GA at Pitt, and an offensive innovator. He could be the second coming of Walt Harris there.

I wouldn't read too much into Moorhead spurning HC opportunities this past off season. Any coach with half a brain, and most fall well short, would hold out for a school where he has some chance of success.

Look at it another way: how many OCs have had a long, ten years or more, tenure at a single school? Not many. They either get a better offer (HC or better school) or they get fired. Eventually the guys on the other side of the ball figure out how to stop you and there are precious few who can reinvent themselves enough to prevent that.
I'm not reading too much into it... I was just correcting tboyer when he said that Moorhead has clearly stated that being a P5 coach was his goal. That is not the case. It doesn't take a great deal of intellect or intuition to figure out that this could be a goal of his, however.

Chubby went to Roxborough High. He was very highly regarded in high school. As I recall, he didn't get along with Rollie. He transferred to U of San Francisco, iirc.

Reactions: Nitwit
I expect Moorehead will leave soon and I doubt he'll go to a major competitor. I'm also guessing Coach Franklin had himself and the other coaches on full alert to learn from him while he was here ...... win/win

Josh Gattis called some of the plays that went for long touchdowns last year. I hear Rahne's and Limegrover's names come up as being groomed for OC, but I think Gattis stands a good shot too. It appears the next O-Coordinator will come from within.

Change is going to happen more frequently now with coaches here. We just got spoiled with JVP.

It's just a reality of college football today. Coaches move around. Asst. coaches (and a lot of HCs) don't stay long in any one place. In many ways it's a good thing. Franklin and his staff have worked lots of places and that experience helps them.

He will leave soon, I have no doubts about that. Franklin does incredible job hiring assistants so I'm not to worried about him leaving. Franklin could implement his offense for good and promote another assistant to OC when Morehead does leave.

Chubby went to Roxborough High. He was very highly regarded in high school. As I recall, he didn't get along with Rollie. He transferred to U of San Francisco, iirc.
What does Chubby Cox have to do with Moorhead and why did he go to San Francisco?

........and what's a Rollie?????

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT