ADVERTISEMENT

are high horsepower vehicles worth it?

I recently had the occasion to drive a 710 hp Durango SRT for about 200 miles, roughly 100 of them on the highway. Mileage with the cruise set at 70 was barely 13 mpg.

Handling was good for this type of vehicle, and yes, it was fast as stink when you put you foot in it, but mileage on the non highway portion of the trip was around 8 mpg- and most of that was driving like I was out getting groceries, not driving hard at all.

Vehicles like that look like fun, but unless you are going to really use that power it seems like a waste to me. YMMV
That’s like asking if marrying a super model is worth it. YOLO!

Reactions: RedBankerEngr
I recently had the occasion to drive a 710 hp Durango SRT for about 200 miles, roughly 100 of them on the highway. Mileage with the cruise set at 70 was barely 13 mpg.

Handling was good for this type of vehicle, and yes, it was fast as stink when you put you foot in it, but mileage on the non highway portion of the trip was around 8 mpg- and most of that was driving like I was out getting groceries, not driving hard at all.

Vehicles like that look like fun, but unless you are going to really use that power it seems like a waste to me. YMMV
the more horsepower and the more fuel it uses the better!

the more horsepower and the more fuel it uses the better!
iu

I really hope after these guys get that V8 in place they do a full test and publish it in C&D. No, I'm not fervently anti-EV or pro-ICE, I just think it would be interesting (and make the hard-core EV people lose their minds).

And the model s still isn’t a sports car. It’s a big heavy sedan, a very fast one yes, but still a nearly 5000 pound sedan.

Also, take it to the track, street racing is dumb.
Watch the new, 1,100-horsepower Tesla Model S Plaid tear around the Laguna Seca racetrack in a new video

At the event, Musk claimed the Plaid had clocked a lap time of 90 seconds at the WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca in Northern California, which would place it among the fastest production cars ever to hit that track. And on Wednesday, Tesla posted an in-cabin video of the Plaid whirring around the track in 1:30.3.

For reference, that's just a hair quicker than the McLaren P1 hypercar and around three seconds slower than the newer McLaren Senna — both seven-figure supercars, compared to the Model S Plaid's $134,490 starting price.

Watch the new, 1,100-horsepower Tesla Model S Plaid tear around the Laguna Seca racetrack in a new video

At the event, Musk claimed the Plaid had clocked a lap time of 90 seconds at the WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca in Northern California, which would place it among the fastest production cars ever to hit that track. And on Wednesday, Tesla posted an in-cabin video of the Plaid whirring around the track in 1:30.3.

For reference, that's just a hair quicker than the McLaren P1 hypercar and around three seconds slower than the newer McLaren Senna — both seven-figure supercars, compared to the Model S Plaid's $134,490 starting price.

I’ve seen it. It’s impressive but still a big 4 door sedan and it’s not representative of all model S’s and it’s not a sports car. Would take either Mac, or any other car in McLarens lineup over a plaid.

People get hung up on magazine times for whatever reason, very very few owners are tracking their model S’s (also true for most mclarens). If any of the Tesla owners in this thread have slips post em up. For the plaid specifically unless they install roll cages (who is cutting up their new 4 door family sedan to weld in some steel bars?) they’ll actually get tossed from most drag strips. Track numbers are a very small part of what makes a car, and I actually take cars to the track.

Case in point, my Golf is faster than the current mustang gt350 r (based on magazines and me actually racing against them at the track). I’d still rather have the Mustang, because the gt350 R is special for many reasons and the Golf isn’t, even though it’s faster… cost about half as much, is more comfortable, fits more people and gets way better gas mileage. Being faster also doesn’t make my car a sports car and I doubt you’d argue otherwise.

I’ve seen it. It’s impressive but still a big 4 door sedan and it’s not representative of all model S’s and it’s not a sports car. Would take either Mac, or any other car in McLarens lineup over a plaid.

People get hung up on magazine times for whatever reason, very very few owners are tracking their model S’s (also true for most mclarens). If any of the Tesla owners in this thread have slips post em up. For the plaid specifically unless they install roll cages (who is cutting up their new 4 door family sedan to weld in some steel bars?) they’ll actually get tossed from most drag strips. Track numbers are a very small part of what makes a car, and I actually take cars to the track.

Case in point, my Golf is faster than the current mustang gt350 r (based on magazines and me actually racing against them at the track). I’d still rather have the Mustang, because the gt350 R is special for many reasons and the Golf isn’t, even though it’s faster… cost about half as much, is more comfortable, fits more people and gets way better gas mileage. Being faster also doesn’t make my car a sports car and I doubt you’d argue otherwise.

It's fast.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT