ADVERTISEMENT

are high horsepower vehicles worth it?

Nitt1300

Nov 2, 2008
I recently had the occasion to drive a 710 hp Durango SRT for about 200 miles, roughly 100 of them on the highway. Mileage with the cruise set at 70 was barely 13 mpg.

Handling was good for this type of vehicle, and yes, it was fast as stink when you put you foot in it, but mileage on the non highway portion of the trip was around 8 mpg- and most of that was driving like I was out getting groceries, not driving hard at all.

Vehicles like that look like fun, but unless you are going to really use that power it seems like a waste to me. YMMV

If you can afford it, get it. It's not practical as you observed, but that's also the point. If you want bragging rights it's probably the vehicle for you.

It’s a garage vehicle. Realistically - you need enough money to buy it, keeep it garaged, and only pull it out for cruising several times per year. If you are using it every day - you’re trying too hard

I recently had the occasion to drive a 710 hp Durango SRT for about 200 miles, roughly 100 of them on the highway. Mileage with the cruise set at 70 was barely 13 mpg.

Handling was good for this type of vehicle, and yes, it was fast as stink when you put you foot in it, but mileage on the non highway portion of the trip was around 8 mpg- and most of that was driving like I was out getting groceries, not driving hard at all.

Vehicles like that look like fun, but unless you are going to really use that power it seems like a waste to me. YMMV

Back in the 70s for half the horsepower you'd average mid single digits MPG. If you are worried about gas mileage buy a Prius.

scotty-air-intake-more-power.jpg

So I own a 2007 Ford Shelby GT 500. The 40th Anniversary model. Its an Iconic American muscle car. Ford built this car so it could be an everyday driver but I would imagine that many are not because of what you cited. I would not own this car if it was my everyday driver there is really nothing practical, It has poor MPG, its's RWD and has a six speed standard transmission. That being said it is worth it to me.

You can drive the speed limit with the cool confidence you can double that in seconds.

i am followed in my Porsche all the time by police. I am watched like a Hawk The value is in prestige. I guess if you need to accelerate past some idiot it has value. Other than that it’sa waste of money. I’d rather do luxury

It all depends on how small your weiner is. Hp is awesome when needed. But there's 2 rules. The bigger the stacks on your diesel pickup the smaller the weiner. The same goes for the lift kit. The higher the smaller.

You could have similar power and be environmentally conscious in a high end Tesla. In fact, I suspect the right Tesla would win against the truck.

Reactions: rumble_lion
Just returned from a trip NJ to Ohio and back, 460 HP and 460 lb-ft of torque. Pulled Loganton and Snow Shoe I-80 westbound hills at 1550 RPM, 78 MPH, 21 MPG. Westbound 467 miles, 15.5 gal= 30MPG. Tour of the covered bridges of Bucks County, 25+ MPG.

Reactions: PSUfiji
It all depends on how small your weiner is. Hp is awesome when needed. But there's 2 rules. The bigger the stacks on your diesel pickup the smaller the weiner. The same goes for the lift kit. The higher the smaller.

Just returned from a trip NJ to Ohio and back, 460 HP and 460 lb-ft of torque. Pulled Loganton and Snow Shoe I-80 westbound hills at 1550 RPM, 78 MPH, 21 MPG. Westbound 467 miles, 15.5 gal= 30MPG. Tour of the covered bridges of Bucks County, 25+ MPG.
Big stacks or Higher lift kit?

asking for a friend ;)

depends on the vehicle. I don't think the big motor (hellcat, 392 etc) Chryslers are worth it since they all weigh a ton, ride on outdated platforms and struggle to put that power to the ground at lower speeds for the rwd variants. I've lined up against a number of hellcat challengers and haven't seen anyone get the quoted factory times from them (not saying people don't, just the average drivers that I've seen).

Lots of great big hp options out there though, factory and aftermarket.

I realize it's not in the same class as some of what's mentioned above. I just bought a 2021 Silverado with a 4 cylinder turbo. Makes 310 horses.

I think EVs are going to upend the high horsepower market in a few years. The new Ford F-150 Lightening had 500+ hp, 800 ft-lb of torque and will cost 70% less per mile to ‘fuel’. Concerns about towing range are legit and will slow EV adoption but I think fast charging tech will solve that problem in 5 or so years.

IMO, with everything else being equal, a higher HP vehicle would always be preferable. Of course, rarely is everything else equal...

I think EVs are going to upend the high horsepower market in a few years. The new Ford F-150 Lightening had 500+ hp, 800 ft-lb of torque and will cost 70% less per mile to ‘fuel’. Concerns about towing range are legit and will slow EV adoption but I think fast charging tech will solve that problem in 5 or so years.

Depends what part of the market. Electric will absolutely replace internal combustion for appliance/work vehicles, luxury daily drivers etc.

I think it's going to take a longer for it to be the engine of choice for most sports car shoppers, even if they are faster in a straight line There is a lot more emotion that goes into those purchases and ownership and its something that most electric cars that aren't the Rimac lack for a number of reasons. Generally people aren't concerned about how efficient their toys are and if other EVs follow the Tesla model then aftermarket modifications are severely hamstrung/impossible. I know a lot of Tesla owners, and almost every one of them has a 911, Cayman or Boxster they like more. Tech nerds seem to get more excited by electric sports cars than gear heads.

Last edited:
Depends what part of the market. Electric will absolutely replace internal combustion for appliance/work vehicles, luxury daily drivers etc.

I think it's going to take a longer for it to be the engine of choice for most sports car shoppers, even if they are faster in a straight line There is a lot more emotion that goes into those purchases and ownership and its something that most electric cars that aren't the Rimac lack for a number of reasons. Generally people aren't concerned about how efficient their toys are and if other EVs follow the Tesla model then aftermarket modifications are severely hamstrung/impossible. I know a lot of Tesla owners, and almost every one of them has a 911, Cayman or Boxster they like more. Tech nerds seem to get more excited by electric sports cars than gear heads.
Been a gear head forever. Own a Tesla Model S and love to blow the doors off of anyone the cares to try. No need for a 911 or any of the other sports cars.

Reactions: rumble_lion
Been a gear head forever. Own a Tesla Model S and love to blow the doors off of anyone the cares to try. No need for a 911 or any of the other sports cars.

And the model s still isn’t a sports car. It’s a big heavy sedan, a very fast one yes, but still a nearly 5000 pound sedan.

Also, take it to the track, street racing is dumb.

Last edited:
Reactions: RedBankerEngr
I beg to differ with you. Used Tesla roadsters are in the 6-figures now

One went for $182,000 a few months ago on BAT.

It might take a while longer but I bet the S’s will get that status.

Unlikely. Way too many produced for too long. Tesla made 2400 roadsters. They’ve sold 250,000 model S’s and counting.

Reactions: RedBankerEngr
While I was without a vehicle for almost two months, I was driving my dad's Sierra around. I was getting about 15-16 mpg. A fill-up after maybe 420 miles cost me $81.50.

Reactions: step.eng69
Not quite in the same league as some of the cars above but I have a Volvo R design. Over 300 hp turbo 2.0L paired with 8 speed transmission, 0 to 60 in about 5.5 seconds. Wolf in sheep’s clothing, no issues with getting followed by cops. Gets reasonable mileage high 20’s when you don’t push it. Problem is it’s hard not to push it.

Last edited:
Not quite in the same league as some of the cars above but I have a Volvo R design. Over 300 hp turbo 2.0L paired with 8 speed transmission, 0 to 60 in about 5.5 seconds. Wolf in sheep’s clothing, no issues with getting followed by cops.
A tune should bring that down nicely.

I am a pickup truck driver. My 98 Tacoma with 250k on the clock came from the factory with a 4-popper churning 159 hp. As far as I know, that is still the number, :cool: though I gotta say, when I went into the central part of WV this past week with a half truckload of seasoned oak and towing my ancient 16' Lund bass boat, I was wishing for juuuuust a wee bit more power as I fought to keep it up to 50 mph in 3d gear on the interstate through the mountains. On the way home, without the firewood, it was noticeably different, but still inadequate.

That is one of the few times I wished for more hp. Driving some souped up 500+ hp beast is always fun, but seldom necessary. I would never buy one as a daily driver unless I was towing/hauling HUGE loads. That is what rental vehicles are for.

My eye is towards retirement. The more money saved towards retirement the better. If that isn't a worry, go for it!

Reactions: GreggK
ADVERTISEMENT