ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone watching USFL? There are maybe 100 fans.

It looks like a Pitt game...
Just like it was back in the original USFL. I remember reading interview with a player back then and he said you could tell when someone made a really good hit because you could hear it echo all around the empty stadium.....

So you can apparently go for three after a TD. Huh. Well that's different

This is a TV only league. Why else would you play all of the games in Birmingham, AL? Only one team will ever have a home field advantage.

I watched a bit last night and it wasn’t bad. I could see a fair amount of these guys getting training camp invites come July. Any offensive lineman will be valuable later on this summer.

Yeah, the decision to play everything in Birmingham made financial sense in the short term but long term will hurt them IMO. You don’t build a group of fans in Philly or Denver (or wherever) when their team never sees their home state, much less home city.

I have zero interest but when I was flipping through the channels I watched for a minute. I thought it was 2020 again and fans were banned.
Why even tie teams to cities if there is no connection? Might as well give teams honorary cities from ultrasmall markets and maybe that leads to a person or two buying a jersey just bc their city's name is on it (i.e. a Harrisburg team vs Philadelphia). A USFL team using Philadelphia's name is not going to move the needle for anyone

I didn't even realize that this league was a thing until recently when Philly social media started blowing up about how awful the new mascot was. I'm like, "new mascot? A mascot for what?" So I had to see what all of the fuss was about.
BlobStarsNew.2e16d0ba.fill-735x490.jpg

Reactions: jjw165
Why even tie teams to cities if there is no connection? Might as well give teams honorary cities from ultrasmall markets and maybe that leads to a person or two buying a jersey just bc their city's name is on it (i.e. a Harrisburg team vs Philadelphia). A USFL team using Philadelphia's name is not going to move the needle for anyone
Their plan is to play in the various cities next year. Negotiating for stadiums now.

Didn’t watch any. Don’t care. Hardly watch any NFL anymore so why watch this stuff?

Yeah, the decision to play everything in Birmingham made financial sense in the short term but long term will hurt them IMO. You don’t build a group of fans in Philly or Denver (or wherever) when their team never sees their home state, much less home city.
On top of that, The Rock’s XFL 3.0 league has an official partnership with the NFL. I don’t think two spring leagues can survive at once (heck, I don’t think one can survive), so I’d have to side with the XFL if I had to pick one to work.

Reactions: psu00
Is there any possibility that NFL wannabes will pass over college football for USFL instead? Probably less money if you're a good player. OTOH, you can devote full time to football. And you don't have to worry about classes if you don't want to take them, although at some schools they demand so little that having to take classes while you're playing football is merely a minor annoyance.

But anyway, if it's basically a minor league football league then those wanting to just play football would have an option aside from attending college.

Is there any possibility that NFL wannabes will pass over college football for USFL instead? Probably less money if you're a good player. OTOH, you can devote full time to football. And you don't have to worry about classes if you don't want to take them, although at some schools they demand so little that having to take classes while you're playing football is merely a minor annoyance.

But anyway, if it's basically a minor league football league then those wanting to just play football would have an option aside from attending college.
I guess they make $45k per year with bonus options for playoff appearances. Kid would get paid more to play in college these days if it is a major program. I can see a kid getting tossed out of college taking the USFL route if no other college wants to take a chance on him. But the USFL will take kids who graduated HS and see it as a better option than the NCAA

Reactions: SoParkLion
On top of that, The Rock’s XFL 3.0 league has an official partnership with the NFL. I don’t think two spring leagues can survive at once (heck, I don’t think one can survive), so I’d have to side with the XFL if I had to pick one to work.

This is S.O.P. for the major leagues. Once a potential competitor is born, partner with it or another and then slowly kill it off.

LdN

Reactions: HailToPitt725
I noticed Shareef Miller playing for New Orleans yesterday. 4th rd. pick of the Eagles couple years back.

Reactions: bison13
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT