ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone hearing anything on FBI arresting several assistant ncaa basketball coaches

Looks like 2 guys who Nova lost out to at the end, Lonnie Walker and Jahvon Quinerly, may be implicated. Walker signed with Miami and Quinerly with Arizona.

These coaches look to be in deep trouble. FBI seems to have a great case. FBI agent infiltrated the group and was in on meetings about the deals and has audio recordings, wiretaps, etc. Evidence doesn't get much better than that. Gotta believe there a ton of college coaches hiring attorneys right now out of big time fear. This thing could really mushroom.
Can we get Walker and Quinerly back? And what's the name of that shortish, explosve PG that went with Miami instead of Villanova. I want Lonnie but if he accepted cash he's effed.

Reactions: rjg82
Looks like 2 guys who Nova lost out to at the end, Lonnie Walker and Jahvon Quinerly, may be implicated. Walker signed with Miami and Quinerly with Arizona.

These coaches look to be in deep trouble. FBI seems to have a great case. FBI agent infiltrated the group and was in on meetings about the deals and has audio recordings, wiretaps, etc. Evidence doesn't get much better than that. Gotta believe there a ton of college coaches hiring attorneys right now out of big time fear. This thing could really mushroom.

I would assume folks will be looking to cut deals especially if they have evidence the head coaches knew about all this going on behind the scenes. Early bird gets the worm here better be able to cut a deal early before they get taken off the table.

Reactions: odshowtime
Can we get Walker and Quinerly back? And what's the name of that shortish, explosve PG that went with Miami instead of Villanova. I want Lonnie but if he accepted cash he's effed.
I don't have any real good sources at Villanova - I know one semi-connected guy so this is at least third hand if not fourth. Until proven otherwise I'm going to give Miami the benefit of the doubt. I have never heard of anything fishy around Jim Larrenega, and Miami is already an excellent team.

Story I heard around Walker - he was a perfect fit at Nova both for basketball and for school. Lonnie and his dad both liked Jay. The problem was - the father wanted to get Lonnie as far away from Reading as he could, keep him away from the Franklin Street posse. Larrenega seemed like a guy who would help keep him on the straight and narrow, and he's 1300 miles away from the old crew. So to me anyway, it seemed legit.

Maybe so, maybe not. But Walker will never ever be a Wildcat - that ship has sailed. If he ever got a dime, he is so screwed. Permanently ineligible and not ready for the NBA. So he either goes D-league or off to some second-tier Euro team and who knows from there. I hope he's in the clear - never heard anything bad about the kid, we wanted him at Villanova, he's our kind of guy, it just went in a different direction. @novaclassof90

These charges typify the dirty underside of college basketball. Shoe companies directing recruits to their schools is nothing new, and handing out laundered cash is nothing new. What is new is that the FBI finally got involved, so this thing might mushroom and change the face of basketball in very significant ways.

You want to know why Penn State MBB has been consistently mediocre for so long? Well, one of the factors is that we have historically refused to get in bed this way with the AAU coaches and the shoe companies (insomuch as we PSU fans know). Now, to be fair, our touted MBB sophomores came to PSU thanks to long cultivation of the Philly AAU coaches by Chambers and his assistants. I'm not implying that Chambers has done something wrong, but this has become a necessary component of CBB recruiting.

Don't assume these forms of corruption haven't touched college football. The seven-on-seven travel teams are a variation of AAU basketball travel teams. Just more adults making money off of high school kids. The players on these teams have all the scholarship offers they need without joining a seven-on-seven team.

Reactions: 060802

Just to be clear, though - Walker's AAU team from Philadelphia (the same AAU team that a bunch of our players played for) is Nike affiliated, not Adidas. The only situations detailed in this specific indictment involved Adidas executives conspiring with Adidas-affiliated AAU coaches to send kids to Adidas schools.

Just saw a headline about it. But of course the NCAA will declare this a legal matter that will be handled by courts and they will see no reason to hand down additional punishment. I say that partly TIC, but nothing those bozos do would actually surprise me.
Doesn't matter FBI INVOLVED means you can't coach when you are in a jail cell. Broke federal laws not NCAA LAWS , I would say that's a little more serious.

Reactions: dbaguy
Just to be clear, though - Walker's AAU team from Philadelphia (the same AAU team that a bunch of our players played for) is Nike affiliated, not Adidas. The only situations detailed in this specific indictment involved Adidas executives conspiring with Adidas-affiliated AAU coaches to send kids to Adidas schools.
You are very nieve if you think Nike is not doing the same or similar deals. Hoping this is just the tip of the iceberg that the FBI IS INVOLVED in prosecuting. NCAA IS DOING CRAP TO STOP IT. Glad to see the FBI doing the NCAA'S job. At least maybe the cheaters will be exposed for what really goes on with paying players in BB and football.

Villanova don't forget was caught paying Doug West from Altoona back in the 80's . In college BB it's almost impossible to get highly ranked players without cheating in some way. Just that some do it with more severity than others.

You are very nieve if you think Nike is not doing the same or similar deals. Hoping this is just the tip of the iceberg that the FBI IS INVOLVED in prosecuting. NCAA IS DOING CRAP TO STOP IT. Glad to see the FBI doing the NCAA'S job. At least maybe the cheaters will be exposed for what really goes on with paying players in BB and football.
I don't disagree with you one bit. Adidas' folks were just the ones who were careless enough to walk into the snare. I'm not sure how I feel about the FBI getting involved in something that, IMO, shouldn't be against any rules (and the only reason why these are crimes is because they're against NCAA rules), but I certainly don't disagree that Nike could have very easily been the company caught up in this.

Villanova don't forget was caught paying Doug West from Altoona back in the 80's . In college BB it's almost impossible to get highly ranked players without cheating in some way. Just that some do it with more severity than others.
I don'r recall that. West played for Villanova for four years, I think. When did he receive money and who gave it to him? I'm not being defensive. I'd just like some details if you have them. Thanks.

I do recall that Pitt wanted him bad.

I have a good friend who is an attorney for DOJ. Their win rate (including plea deals) is absurd (like 98%).

So this wouldn't have been released unless these guys were already cooked. It will be interesting to see how the NCAA responds to this and if/what they knew prior to the investigation.
On TV they were saying it was 93%. Regardless of the exact percentage, it is really high.

I don'r recall that. West played for Villanova for four years, I think. When did he receive money and who gave it to him? I'm not being defensive. I'd just like some details if you have them. Thanks.

I do recall that Pitt wanted him bad.

Paul Evans wanted West hella bad. Trouble was, Pitt was already paying Charles Smith and Bobby Martin so much, the Golden Panthers had no more money left for West.

Reactions: artsandletters
Jay Bilas has a sad. I flipped by espn and they were basically saying this goes on because there's so much money involved, and the players don't get paid. Go figure.

I call bullshit on this. I highly doubt that Adidas has a corporate fraud program. It does sound like NCAA rules were broken, but last time I checked, those aren't actual "laws" and Mark Emmert isn't the department of justice notwithstanding whatever he might think about himself.
I hope are being facetious. For example, do you think the coaches or Adidas accurately reported and accounted for the under the table payments?

I don't disagree with you one bit. Adidas' folks were just the ones who were careless enough to walk into the snare. I'm not sure how I feel about the FBI getting involved in something that, IMO, shouldn't be against any rules (and the only reason why these are crimes is because they're against NCAA rules), but I certainly don't disagree that Nike could have very easily been the company caught up in this.

They are NCAA rule violations. I don't see how these charges stand up in court. In the business world this is known as doing business. Steering prospects to vendors or paying finders fees happens every day.

Don't worry, USC has hired Free to conduct an internal investigation. He will get to the bottom of this!

Reactions: m48tank
Yeah, doesn't take much imagination to see that much. Whew.
11 college teams that rake in tons of cash from Nike, Under Armour, and Adidas
55fc7928bd86ef21008bb82c-1136-852.jpg
Gregory Shamus/Getty Images

College sports are lucrative, and major brands are taking note.

Nike, Under Armour, and Adidas are the top NCAA athletic apparel giants who provide gear to student athletes and fans.

Here's a list of the top 10 annual NCAA athletic apparel contracts.

Note: Information based on available data. Only public universities make contracts available for review. Notre Dame is the exception.

10. Louisiana State University
5464370aeab8eacc402221d7-1136-768.jpg
Jonathan Bachman/Reuters
Contract: Nike

Annual contract value: $4,200,000

LSU previously held the most lucrative athletic apparel contract in the SEC. Their contract with Nike allows them to be eligible to receive a BCS game bonus of $10,000 and a national championship bonus of $50,000.

9. Arizona State University
55fb23aebd86ef1b008bb36b-1136-757.jpg
Getty Images
Contract: Adidas

Annual contract value: $4,225,000

ASU made a switch from Nike to Adidas and their new contract doubles what they had with Nike - valued at $33.8 million. The contract began July 2015 and extends through 2022-2023.

8. Maryland
55fb24089dd7cc1f008bb35e-1136-852.jpg
Getty Images
Contract: Under Armour

Annual contract value: $4,300,000

Under Armour's founder, Kevin Plank, is a University of Maryland alum, so it's no surprise that the Baltimore based company signed a deal with Maryland. Now that Maryland is in the Big Ten, they are the second team in the conference (along with Northwestern) to be signed with Under Armour. Their current contract is in effect from 2014-2024.

7. Auburn
55fb2766bd86ef1f008bb336-1136-852.jpg
Getty Images

Annual contract value: $4,300,000

Auburn's contract with Under Armour expires in 2016 with no mention of extending it -although it is possible.

"We have enjoyed a great relationship with Under Armour since 2005 because Kevin Plank and Under Armour share our commitment to excellence in training and performance," said Jay Jacobs, Auburn's athletic director. "This partnership will allow current and future Auburn student-athletes to flourish on and off the field."

6. Florida State University
55fb2bd39dd7cc22008bb376-1136-852.jpg
Getty Images

Annual contract value: $4,400,000

Nike's second largest collegiate athletic apparel contract is with Florida State University. FSU's contract with Nike has been consistently renegotiated since 1998. As of now, their contract goes until the 2017 school year - with the opportunity to extend for another five years.

5. Louisville
55fc701c9dd7cc14008bb89c-1136-852.jpg
Getty Images

Annual contract value: $5,915,000

Louisville has been affiliated with Adidas for the past 16 years. In April 2014, the Cardinals announced a five year extension with Adidas.

5. Kansas
55fc7dc9bd86ef0f008bb876-1136-810.jpg
Getty Images

Annual contract value: $6,375,000

Kansas and Adidas have held a contract since 2005 and will extend to 2019.

4. Texas A&M
55fc74c99dd7cc18008bb86c-1136-666.jpg
Getty Images

Annual contract value: $7,100,000

Texas A&M signed the largest athletic apparel deal in the SEC with Adidas. According to the Portland Business Journal, the current deal went into effect July 2014, but wasn't signed until February 2015. The deal runs through June 2022.

3. UCLA
55fc72e29dd7cc21008bb890-1136-772.jpg
Getty Images

Annual contract value: $7,500,000

Along with Arizona State, UCLA is the only other school in the Pac-12 that has a deal with Adidas. Ironically enough, Adidas is the official and exclusive apparel and footwear provider of the conference and all their events.

2. Notre Dame
55fc685a9dd7cc21008bb80d-1136-757.jpg
Getty Images

Annual contract value: $9,000,000

Announced in January 2014, Notre Dame previously held the spot as the most lucrative apparel and shoe deal in college athletics. The deal is valued at a little over $90 million over 10 years.

1. University of Michigan
55fc65f1bd86ef1e008bb734-1136-776.jpg
Getty Images

Annual contract value: $10,000,000

Valued at a total of $169 million over 15 years, Michigan and Nike hold the richest apparel contract in collegiate athletics. The deal will supply all 31 U‐M athletic programs with uniforms, footwear, apparel and equipment and will be in effect as of August 2016 through July 2027 - with the option to extend through 2031.

In a nutshell, the parties charged are committing fraud against the school because they're knowingly making the player ineligible to compete at that school when they pay him money to go there or when the coaches take money to make players ineligible by setting them up with agents while they're in school. It's a federal crime because all the schools take federal grant money.

Edit: In other words, the school is defrauded because the individuals who are charged engaged in a scheme where the school spends money giving the player a scholarship without knowing that the defendants have made the player ineligible to compete.

Most States also make it illegal for an "Agent" to contact college athletes, especially on a college campus.

Reactions: Fox Chapel Lion II
Read a few more articles in the Louisville Courier Journal. Seems like Pitino in an interview implied Adidas schools are losing the recruiting battle to Nike schools. Doesn't mention money at all, but it seems implied. No claims against any Nike schools just yet, but maybe the other swoosh foot is yet to drop.

The good thing about being the worst power five school in basketball, is that you never have to cheat, and hopefully everyone else gets caught. I know, Washington State, lmao. Thank god for Wazzu.

Reactions: PSUoh90
Lots of talk here in Indiana that Louisville is making a major announcement in the morning lots of speculation bigger than Pitino and AD and possibility of death penalty for them

They are NCAA rule violations. I don't see how these charges stand up in court. In the business world this is known as doing business. Steering prospects to vendors or paying finders fees happens every day.
Trust me my friend, these charges are going to be filed under the RICO act. Fraud, money laundering, organization corruption, etc.

I don't have any real good sources at Villanova - I know one semi-connected guy so this is at least third hand if not fourth. Until proven otherwise I'm going to give Miami the benefit of the doubt. I have never heard of anything fishy around Jim Larrenega, and Miami is already an excellent team.

Story I heard around Walker - he was a perfect fit at Nova both for basketball and for school. Lonnie and his dad both liked Jay. The problem was - the father wanted to get Lonnie as far away from Reading as he could, keep him away from the Franklin Street posse. Larrenega seemed like a guy who would help keep him on the straight and narrow, and he's 1300 miles away from the old crew. So to me anyway, it seemed legit.

Maybe so, maybe not. But Walker will never ever be a Wildcat - that ship has sailed. If he ever got a dime, he is so screwed. Permanently ineligible and not ready for the NBA. So he either goes D-league or off to some second-tier Euro team and who knows from there. I hope he's in the clear - never heard anything bad about the kid, we wanted him at Villanova, he's our kind of guy, it just went in a different direction. @novaclassof90
Miami Herald article seems to be a little more convincing about the U and problems.

Lots of talk here in Indiana that Louisville is making a major announcement in the morning lots of speculation bigger than Pitino and AD and possibility of death penalty for them

Isn't the AD at louisville considered one the best around? I believe some folks here wanted him at Penn State when fester left.

I regularly, on behalf of my firm, deal with vendors. If I accept money from a vendor to steer business its way I am guilty of accepting a bribe, and punishment isn't simply limited to that meted out under my firm's code of conduct.

I regularly, on behalf of my firm, deal with vendors. If I accept money from a vendor to steer business its way I am guilty of accepting a bribe, and punishment isn't simply limited to that meted out under my firm's code of conduct.
Especially when many of these schools are funded in some way with public money.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT