ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone else having trouble understanding why Auburn is a playoff team?

CappyToCJF

Jun 13, 2014
2 losses, by 8 and 4 points on the road.

Sounds familiar.

Maybe it's their big win over Mercer. Is that the Christmas tree school?

If they win next week, they're in. I'd imagine SEC Commissioner Sankey will stand up for his conference champion.

Reactions: nits74
Because they beat #1 Georgia and #1 Alabama. And they still have to beat #7 Georgia (again) in order to get in. PSU has nothing like that on their resume.
This. Both road losses. One to Clemson. Both by a score. Resume infinitely better than ours this year and even last year.

Reactions: Nitwit97
2 losses, by 8 and 4 points on the road.

Sounds familiar.

Maybe it's their big win over Mercer. Is that the Christmas tree school?
The losses sound familiar. But the list of big wins? Penn St does not compare. We made our own bed by choking in the Columbus night. Play a strong 4th quarter there and you are the undisputed #1 ( I think the Ohio St loss affects the mindset in Michigan St game, the storm was a once in a lifetime freak event).

And let's give Auburn credit for traveling to Clemson in September. It was a loss but ends up being a good loss that won't be held against them. Hopefully someday we schedule real non-conference games. At least we have Va Tech and Auburn in a few years.

No one is playing better football right now. They beat Georgia who was #1 and Alabama who was #1. They are one of the top 4 teams...bottom line.

If they win next week, they're in. I'd imagine SEC Commissioner Sankey will stand up for his conference champion.
If they beat UGa next week they have earned the right to be there as much as any team in the country.

Reactions: 78SweetRevenge
I'll go one step further. If they beat Georgia which I believe they will, they will play in the National Championship game against Clemson. That will be one heck of a game.

I don't understand why ohio state is still being very considered for playoffs if they beat Wisconsin...

Ohio State is pretty much dead. I can't create a scenario in which they finish higher than 5th. They'd have to jump Bama to make it. Clemson, Oklahoma, Auburn & Ohio State win the debate will be Ohio State or Bama. Hell, we might be 6 in that scenario but probably 7th

Reactions: Skellarman
The losses sound familiar. But the list of big wins? Penn St does not compare. We made our own bed by choking in the Columbus night. Play a strong 4th quarter there and you are the undisputed #1 ( I think the Ohio St loss affects the mindset in Michigan St game, the storm was a once in a lifetime freak event).

Embarrassing Michigan..

Just like pitt and Miami.... if they got beat they really were not a top 10 team...

I don't understand why ohio state is still being very considered for playoffs if they beat Wisconsin...
Agree.

The Bama loss kills them.

I think that the SEC winner, Bama, ACC winner (1 loss) and Big 12 winner (1 loss) )gets in.

Even if OSU wins, and a 2 loss Auburn wins the SEC, the OSU 55-24 loss to Iowa will be an anchor around their neck.

Reactions: Skellarman
Auburn is playing great football at this time. Take a look at the absolute stud DL they have recruited the past 2-3 years, let alone the plethora of RB's.

Ohio State is pretty much dead. I can't create a scenario in which they finish higher than 5th. They'd have to jump Bama to make it. Clemson, Oklahoma, Auburn & Ohio State win the debate will be Ohio State or Bama. Hell, we might be 6 in that scenario but probably 7th
Dude, I hear you and couldn't agree more. But the media on twitter is campaigning like hell for OSU. Their argument is they beat 3 top 15 teams (once they beat Wisconsin). Alabama beat none. Committee "values good wins over bad losses." Unbelievable smh.

Auburn is where they are right now because of their defensive front four! They currently may be the best team going into the final week.

Dude, I hear you and couldn't agree more. But the media on twitter is campaigning like hell for OSU. Their argument is they beat 3 top 15 teams (once they beat Wisconsin). Alabama beat none. Committee "values good wins over bad losses." Unbelievable smh.

Alabama really doesn't have any "good wins" that's fair. Ohio State would have Penn State, Wisconsin and Michigan State but that loss to Iowa. If that was their only loss it would be fine but as a second loss. No.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT