ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone been to Belize and have recommendations

clucas

Jan 20, 2004
Nashville, TN
on all inclusive resorts or where to stay and what to do? Looking at a family trip this summer and trying to get some info. Appreciate any and all info.

Reactions: NedFromYork
on all inclusive resorts or where to stay and what to do? Looking at a family trip this summer and trying to get some info. Appreciate any and all info.
the main land or an island? I've been to Amberis Caye and have thoughts if that is what you are looking for.

I'm also looking at Belize this summer and have been doing research.

Looks like July is rainy. August also rainy but not quite as much so that's probably when I'll be going.

Looking at around 10 days with around 6 inland at mayan sites including Tikal, then some eco resorts and then out to a caye for the remainder of the time. It's a really small country so driving is no issue.

I'm also looking at Belize this summer and have been doing research.

Looks like July is rainy. August also rainy but not quite as much so that's probably when I'll be going.

Looking at around 10 days with around 6 inland at mayan sites including Tikal, then some eco resorts and then out to a caye for the remainder of the time. It's a really small country so driving is no issue.
fwiw we were there at the end of July (some years ago) and rain was not issue for the week we were there.

Watch the Series Mad Dogs on Amazon Prime. Great little mini-series that takes place in Belize. If you are a middle aged man you will love it.

It’s supposed to great at Christmas. They even wrote a song about it.

Belize Navidad!
Belize Navidad!
I wanna wish you a Merry Christmas.
I wanna wish you a Merry Christmas.
I wanna wish you a Merry Christmas from the bottom of my heart!

Been to Caye Caulker. No real resorts were there in 09'. More of a low key sleepy Island. Though I've never been to it, Ambergris is probably what you are looking for. Can't say much about the "mainland", but if the Mayan ruins are like Tikal (Guatemala), they might be worth seeing.

Just some random Youtube video.

Last edited:
Been to Caye Caulker. No really resorts where there in 09'. More of a low key sleepy Island. Though I've never been to it, Ambergris is probably what you are looking for. Can't say much about the "mainland", but if the Mayan ruins are like Tikal (Guatemala), they might be worth seeing.

Just some random Youtube video.
when I was there, Caye Caulker had a bad and maybe a few BnB's around, but that was about it. Great place to hang out for the day though.

when I was there, Caye Caulker had a bad and maybe a few BnB's around, but that was about it. Great place to hang out for the day though.

Accommodations were limited when I was there as well. There was a hostel in addition to a few BnB's and small/ modest hotels. Not a huge deal because most will be going to the beach anyway. Just have to book ahead. That or catch a water taxi back to Ambergris/ Belize City.

Accommodations were limited when I was there as well. There was a hostel in addition to a few BnB's and small/ modest hotels. Not a huge deal because most will be going to the beach anyway. Just have to book ahead. That or catch a water taxi back to Ambergris/ Belize City.
I was there in like 2005, I thought the water taxi was a hoot!! I assumed is was for tourist, not! It really for locals (& tourists) hauling there stuff around.. i sweat when we got on the water taxi, we were joined by some chickens in crates!

Reactions: STPGopherfan
I was there in like 2005, I thought the water taxi was a hoot!! I assumed is was for tourist, not! It really for locals (& tourists) hauling there stuff around.. i sweat when we got on the water taxi, we were joined by some chickens in crates!

Ha! Better water taxi than on a "chicken bus". I don't know if they had them in Belize, but they sure had them in Guatemala. I loved the silhouettes of women in poses next to picture of Mary and or Jesus! :D

Reactions: sluggo72
Ambergris Caye, El Pescador Lodge is fantastic if you’re looking to fly fish

On Ambergris Caye I do not recommend Ramons. Too expensive for what you get. You can get a better place cheaper or the same for less

Watch the Series Mad Dogs on Amazon Prime. Great little mini-series that takes place in Belize. If you are a middle aged man you will love it.

That was actually filmed in Puerto Rico.

I stayed a block from the boat dock in Caye Caulker (can't remember the name of it). Take a boat and go snorkling off the Caye. It's easy to get around the island -- there's just two north-to-south roads. Lots of places to eat. Check out the Lazy Lizard bar at the "split," the small strip of water that separates the two islands. If you like dogs and you like to walk, go to the animal shelter and borrow a dog for a half hour or so.

There are no real sand beaches on the mainland or on Caye Caulker. It's mostly rocky. There is a small sand beach at the "split." Visit the Mayan site at Lamanai (you need to take a boat ride up the river to get there). Go into Guatemala and stay overnight at Tikal (warning -- the hotels turn off the electricity at 9:45 p.m.).

Reactions: STPGopherfan
That was actually filmed in Puerto Rico.

I stayed a block from the boat dock in Caye Caulker (can't remember the name of it). Take a boat and go snorkling off the Caye. It's easy to get around the island -- there's just two north-to-south roads. Lots of places to eat. Check out the Lazy Lizard bar at the "split," the small strip of water that separates the two islands. If you like dogs and you like to walk, go to the animal shelter and borrow a dog for a half hour or so.

There are no real sand beaches on the mainland or on Caye Caulker. It's mostly rocky. There is a small sand beach at the "split." Visit the Mayan site at Lamanai (you need to take a boat ride up the river to get there). Go into Guatemala and stay overnight at Tikal (warning -- the hotels turn off the electricity at 9:45 p.m.).

Yes! I remember that. LOL. You also have to time your shower. IIRC that times out at the same time?

If we've learned anything from Breaking Bad, it's that you don't want to go on a trip to Belize.

If we've learned anything from Breaking Bad, it's that you don't want to go on a trip to Belize.
if you stay on the mainland, I might agree, going to one of the islands? I think is a totally different story.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT