ADVERTISEMENT

Any strategic advantage keeping everything a secret til the last minute?

I agree with this. I get the impression that Cael would rather do just about anything other than a presser.

I also get the sense that he cares far more about helping his wrestlers develop as student athletes and successful adults than his own self-promotion or being the focus of attention.

He no doubt is aware of lots of other successful coaches that take a different approach but he seems content to be more of a quiet giant and let his wrestlers' performance speak for him and the PSU system. My 2 cents.
I think Cael is having fun with it to a large degree. He enjoys messing with people and has a great sense of humor. Just read some of his posts. I think he really enjoys the "What is he doing?, How is he doing it? What is the secret sauce? What is he going to do? Does he have a plan?" Why share any more than you need to? Sit back and enjoy the show. It clearly interests/bothers people. Just read the posts here. :) Other sites are worse. He is just playing with his food. I enjoy it.

The OP is not hysterical or unreasonable to ask the question.

My view is simply this: we have an all-time great coach in the prime of his career who has built a dynasty that is certainly unrivaled now, and when all is said and done, could be the greatest in history. So, if the price I have to pay for this greatness is not getting information on injuries or lineups, I will HAPPILY pay it and be grateful I’m a PSU fan in this extraordinary time.

Personally, I love it. Would I have enjoyed knowing 4 months ahead of time that Mark Hall is going to step on the mat at Carver to kick off his dual career? No way.
Besides, the speculation gives us talking points for the barren months we can't enjoy watching PSU wrestle.

Reactions: Grass
Cael shares information with the wrestlers and coaches. Many of our wrestlers have gone on to coach and have used what they learned in the room and at the RTC. It doesn't benefit any great program to share information. It could help get recognition for the coach and sell books and get speaking engagements and training camp invitations. Cael doesn't need or want that. He is passing on an attitude of gratitude to the wrestlers and future coaches. He gladly helps young wrestlers and encourages our coaches and wrestlers to do likewise.

Great coaches change lives. Cael lives what he preaches every day. Check back in 10 years and see what the coaching tree looks like. There will PSU and NLWC alums changing the face of wrestling and creating great new competition. I relish the new challenges that Cael will have to face. He's building more than great teams and great wrestlers. He's helping build futures for young men and will be grateful for their success. One major project to tackle: do the same for the women in wrestling. Iowa has to feel pain on two fronts.;)
:eek:

I’ve always assumed Cael doesn’t release information early to minimize the pressure the wrestlers have to deal with.

When Cael has his start of the season presser, we’ll all have a lot of questions. Imo, That’s got to be some added pressure for the wrestlers, especially in the social media age.

In my opinion, Cael handles decisions like the ones the OP laid out much like he does when it comes to recruiting. Cael is notorious for getting in late on recruits. Why handcuff yourself when things could always change with your own personnel just like things can change with recruits and their performance late in their prep careers. Why decide on things when there is very little benefit in doing so?

What questions is he not answering? Reason for not answering can be anything from , we dont know, kid doesnt want it public, teams will use it against us. Or decision hasnt been made. If he would answer then you would have 1500 follow up questions.

Hell I'm just glad the Schedule is out. That information let's me know when to put on my studded snow tires and put the chains, sand bags, shovel, flares and Last Will and Testament in the trunk!

Cael has his opponents, I have Cresson Mountain.
Looking forward to my almost weekly travels down that mountain this winter. Keeps me young and my blood pumping...lol

Reactions: 7brwnpsu
Hell I'm just glad the Schedule is out. That information let's me know when to put on my studded snow tires and put the chains, sand bags, shovel, flares and Last Will and Testament in the trunk!

Cael has his opponents, I have Cresson Mountain.

Looking forward to my almost weekly travels down that mountain this winter. Keeps me young and my blood pumping...lol
Man you guys are wusses. I just about live on top of the damn thing.

We, as fans, have no more rights other than to watch and support the 10 guys Cael sends out to compete on a given day. Yes it's great to have more info, but we have no right to know who is taking a RS and certainly no right to injury info.

It would be nice if Cael was a bit more talkative like other coaches, but I'm sure we will all forgive him come March.

As far as generating more interest, what more should Cael do. He has built a dynasty and reinvented training strategies. Oh and he has all but destroyed the boring 2-1 match.

Reactions: NittanyChris
In my opinion, Cael handles decisions like the ones the OP laid out much like he does when it comes to recruiting. Cael is notorious for getting in late on recruits. Why handcuff yourself when things could always change with your own personnel just like things can change with recruits and their performance late in their prep careers. Why decide on things when there is very little benefit in doing so?
Similar take and a good topic for discussion. Cael probably doesn’t know yet how it will shake out and there are 30 kids on the team all vying for a starting spot. New guys in the room tend to have a steep learning curve so it’s still early in the process. Probably best not to say something that might be retracted later. I’d like more details from Cael but the Kremlin-esque secrecy doesn’t affect my interest in the team or sport.

Here is a great example of why Cael should stay tight-lipped.

Note specifically the quote about why not telling fans. He's right, and no fans are complaining.

This is a wrestling thing, not a Cael thing. It's like pulling teeth to get info out of most programs. No idea how the culture got that way. I think it's silly, but whatever.

For example, the fact we just found out about Iowa's first dual 3 weeks before it happens is ridiculous. That's not how big boy sports operate.

Reactions: DuckBlunder
Here is a great example of why Cael should stay tight-lipped.

Note specifically the quote about why not telling fans. He's right, and no fans are complaining.

In my household we do not speak of Dave dombrowski, John McNamara, harry frazee or Bucky dent . We have however forgiven Bob Gibson. One must never argue with greatness .

Sorry I’m off an a tangent …

This is a wrestling thing, not a Cael thing. It's like pulling teeth to get info out of most programs. No idea how the culture got that way. I think it's silly, but whatever.

For example, the fact we just found out about Iowa's first dual 3 weeks before it happens is ridiculous. That's not how big boy sports operate.
Not how we would have handled it. We would have waited until 2 weeks out. 😂

• Haha
Reactions: js8793
Has brands, smith, bono ect.. announced who’s going what weight and who’s injured and what their injuries are? NO

Brands, Smith, Bono, etc., have all posted their 2023-24 roster along with estimated weight class.

Cael can do whatever he wants, but an updated roster isn't giving away house secrets and seems like an easy enough thing to do.

No big deal, though.

Reactions: DuckBlunder
Brands, Smith, Bono, etc., have all posted their 2023-24 roster along with estimated weight class.

Cael can do whatever he wants, but an updated roster isn't giving away house secrets and seems like an easy enough thing to do.

No big deal, though.
Is that on Cael or is that on the websites for not updating it. Hell, I'd bet most of us could put together a roster and estimated weight class. But it's up to whoever runs the sites (PSU, PSWC, etc) to post and update them.

Dices spreadsheet on here is as good as any info out there IMO. Plus you get to see how the next wave fits in with the recruiting end of it

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT