ADVERTISEMENT

Any strategic advantage keeping everything a secret til the last minute?

DuckBlunder

Mar 17, 2023
Was listening to FRL today, the DT is P4P #1 episode. Askren remarked that he didn't understand why Cael plays his cards so close to the vest regarding absolutely everything because ultimately there is no benefit to it: who's taking redshirts/ORS, who's going what weight, injuries....literally everything. The website hasn't even updated the roster yet. We have to peruse forums hoping a member drops a bit of insider knowledge or Mineo, FLO or Seed King throw us a bone. It's fun to run thru scenarios after we get a piece of intel. So why does Cael make it so hard? He has a passionate fanbase but keeps us in the dark and it makes the offseason less fun. I'd be disappointed if the reason is that he just doesn't care what the fans want when it would be too easy to be accommodating. In the NBA, NFL etc. if someone gets hurt, it doesn't take long to know what the problem is and their status and updates are constant. Askren is definitely no dummy when it comes to wrestling and I wanted to see what you guys had to say on the subject.

So, while I'd like for PSU/Cael to own the team scoring record, and think that Messenbrink will be required to achieve that, I don't think he cares and genuinely wants to do what is best for his athletes.

And, at the end of the day, that speaks to his character.

So, while I'd like for PSU/Cael to own the team scoring record, and think that Messenbrink will be required to achieve that, I don't think he cares and genuinely wants to do what is best for his athletes.

And, at the end of the day, that speaks to his character.
At the end of the day it just speaks to your opinion.

I’d have to say I am in complete disagreement with your statement.

Was listening to FRL today, the DT is P4P #1 episode. Askren remarked that he didn't understand why Cael plays his cards so close to the vest regarding absolutely everything because ultimately there is no benefit to it: who's taking redshirts/ORS, who's going what weight, injuries....literally everything. The website hasn't even updated the roster yet. We have to peruse forums hoping a member drops a bit of insider knowledge or Mineo, FLO or Seed King throw us a bone. It's fun to run thru scenarios after we get a piece of intel. So why does Cael make it so hard? He has a passionate fanbase but keeps us in the dark and it makes the offseason less fun. I'd be disappointed if the reason is that he just doesn't care what the fans want when it would be too easy to be accommodating. In the NBA, NFL etc. if someone gets hurt, it doesn't take long to know what the problem is and their status and updates are constant. Askren is definitely no dummy when it comes to wrestling and I wanted to see what you guys had to say on the subject.
What is the strategic advantage to sharing this information?

So what you’re asking is does Cael have a plan. 🤔
If you are talking to me. What I'm asking is, what's the harm in letting us know the plan too? If there are good reasons that Askren isn't considering, I'd be surprised and would like to know why keeping everything so hush hush matters. I was hoping for more than just a bunch of snarky replies. It wasn't even my idea but once I heard Askren say it, it kind of resonated with me. Askren is smart asf and has arguably the best academy of its kind in the country. If he doesn't see the benefit in it I thought I'd pose the question to this forum because until I read some of the replies to this post thus far, I was under the impression there were some pretty intelligent wresting minds here. So accept the challenge of the question or don't but we are all blue and white here so maybe guys should keep that in mind.

If you are talking to me. What I'm asking is, what's the harm in letting us know the plan too? If there are good reasons that Askren isn't considering, I'd be surprised and would like to know why keeping everything so hush hush matters. I was hoping for more than just a bunch of snarky replies. It wasn't even my idea but once I heard Askren say it, it kind of resonated with me. Askren is smart asf and has arguably the best academy of its kind in the country. If he doesn't see the benefit in it I thought I'd pose the question to this forum because until I read the replies to this post thus far, I was under the impression there were some pretty intelligent wresting minds here. So accept the challenge of the question or don't but we are all blue and white here so maybe guys should keep that in mind.
I'd love to see where Askren is sharing information about one of his athletes being injured, or what weight they are thinking of competing at in the future. I don't think that is happening.

Ok, no snark. I’m a results oriented kind of guy. Cael is dominating every other coach in the game by a wide margin. So I support his philosophy.

Sometimes it’s best to just recognize greatness, not question it, and enjoy the heck out of this run for as long as it lasts.

If you are talking to me. What I'm asking is, what's the harm in letting us know the plan too? If there are good reasons that Askren isn't considering, I'd be surprised and would like to know why keeping everything so hush hush matters. I was hoping for more than just a bunch of snarky replies. It wasn't even my idea but once I heard Askren say it, it kind of resonated with me. Askren is smart asf and has arguably the best academy of its kind in the country. If he doesn't see the benefit in it I thought I'd pose the question to this forum because until I read some of the replies to this post thus far, I was under the impression there were some pretty intelligent wresting minds here. So accept the challenge of the question or don't but we are all blue and white here so maybe guys should keep that in mind.
The Flo guys have done things behind Cael's back in the past. Why should he share anything with them, and why is that his burden?

What is the strategic advantage to sharing this information?
As far as wins and losses, probably none but that's not the point. The point is if being more transparent would have no negative affect on the success of the program why not do it for the fanbase that lives and dies for this stuff. And if it would have a negative affect, how so?

The Flo guys have done things behind Cael's back in the past. Why should he share anything with them, and why is that his burden?
Perfect now we are close to actually getting somewhere. What has been done that would cause Cael to be so tight-lipped? It doesn't have to be his burden. He runs the most successful program in the country. I'm sure he could assign someone to give a periodic rundown that would be highly appreciated and I don't care at all what he tells FLO. I'm saying his fanbase couldn't be more devoted so why not do this courtesy for them if there are no negative risks and if there are what might they be that someone like Askren could possibly not be considering? As previously mentioned, professional sports already do this. It's not some off-wall-concept.

My snarky reply:

meme_kid.jpg

Cael is pretty reserved and quiet already. I think it's more his personality that he is tight lipped. He also wants to keep his job so spiling the beans on why PSU is so successful compared to everyone else and how they train compared to everyone else could be detrimental to the program. I know as a youth sports coach that a lot of times saying too much, or the wrong things comes back to haunt me especially with parents. Less is more sometimes.

So, while I'd like for PSU/Cael to own the team scoring record, and think that Messenbrink will be required to achieve that,

No doubt Mesenbrink is a high attack, high energy destroyer we all can't wait to see in blue and white, but I think many are all too quick to dismiss Facundo as some sort of second tier guy, based upon last year's performance.

I agree that giving Alex yet one more year to develop and get bigger to slide in nicely to 174 post Carter is one very strong option.

I also won't count out the possibility that Alex has jumped a level, is killing it in the room, and may just be our strongest option at 165. Shirting either Levi or Mitchell as the odd man out might just be as good an option. No matter who man's 165, that weight remains very tough, and a steep uphill battle for any national champion expectations.

Either Levi or Mitch points at 157 are likely similar with IMO Shapiro being a strong and maybe only threat to either. At 165 O'Toole and Carr could give any of the three real problems.

Net-net I don't think there will be a large point differential no matter who man's 157 and 165 this year.

Since none are true freshman, eligible for the 5 first semester events, I guess we will know for certain Nov 21st or Dec 3rd. Time is moving so slowly.....

Purportedly Haines was invited to the NCWA All-Star Classic.

But...at what weight?

Perfect now we are close to actually getting somewhere. What has been done that would cause Cael to be so tight-lipped? It doesn't have to be his burden. He runs the most successful program in the country. I'm sure he could assign someone to give a periodic rundown that would be highly appreciated and I don't care at all what he tells FLO. I'm saying his fanbase couldn't be more devoted so why not do this courtesy for them if there are no negative risks and if there are what might they be that someone like Askren could possibly not be considering? As previously mentioned, professional sports already do this. It's not some off-wall-concept.
First my opinion. I’m dying to know who is wrestling at each of the 10 spots but I wouldn’t consider it a courtesy for them to tell us. I’m more than happy to patiently wait.

I too watched that podcast and very much enjoyed it. If memory serves they were discussing tiers at the different weights and by and large I thought that was a little off , done too much with an emphasis on past results but alas I’m wondering again .

I’m only gonna list a few reasons

1. Promote more competition in the room
2.better team unity
3 trying to influence dodge ball partnerships

1. Weight issues , someone is trying to go up or down
2 injury issue
3 academic issue
4 personal issue including mental health

1 than maybe there’s just the doesn’t know yet .

Just my two cents

In the NBA, NFL etc. if someone gets hurt, it doesn't take long to know what the problem is and their status and updates are constant.
In the NBA and NFL, they are required to provide injury status updates, Cael is not required to provide anything. Flo Wrestling gets frustrated, because of lack of access, with the reason outlined above. When you’re running rings around the rest of collegiate wrestling, what’s the value, to Penn State Wrestling, to over share information? As far as fan base interest, Penn State Wrestling sells out every dual meet, as well as being the biggest crowd draw on their road trips and the size of the Penn State Wrestling fan base has probably never been bigger, so what fan base issue is Cael being asked to solve?

Last edited:
Cael is pretty reserved and quiet already. I think it's more his personality that he is tight lipped.
I agree with this. I get the impression that Cael would rather do just about anything other than a presser.

I also get the sense that he cares far more about helping his wrestlers develop as student athletes and successful adults than his own self-promotion or being the focus of attention.

He no doubt is aware of lots of other successful coaches that take a different approach but he seems content to be more of a quiet giant and let his wrestlers' performance speak for him and the PSU system. My 2 cents.

Counterpoint:

If Cael just announced who was going at what weights, we wouldn't get 2500 word posts filled with pseudo-analysis regarding every permutation and combination of guys anywhere near each weight class.

And what fun would that be?

Cael has one plan WIN!!

The man doesn't talk much, but when he does, he walks it. He and most of his wrestlers are all big on avoiding distraction. Simply put, all media coverage of his program is a distraction, to his eyes. We're in a world that disagrees, but he hasn't proved himself wrong, has he? His guys are always ready in March. He certainly gets plenty of eyeballs on his product, and the media still hasn't run out of things to talk about, shockingly.

Last edited:
The man doesn't talk much, but when he does, he walks it. He and most of his wrestlers are all big on avoiding distraction. Simply put, all media coverage of his program is a distraction, to his eyes. We're in a world that disagrees, but he hasn't proved himself wrong, has he? His guys are always ready in March. He certainly gets plenty of eyeballs on his product, and the media still hasn't run out of things to talk about, shokingly.
Cael says more without speaking than any human I know.

No plan is going to be set until December sometime. Injuries play a part. Whats the point in announcing if it's not 100% solid. As top dog, you know that Iowa, Nebraska, etc would love to know so that they can plan their redshirts accordingly.

Reactions: DuckBlunder
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT