ADVERTISEMENT

Another SEC love fest Championship game.

Wait--FSU isn't a "little sister of the poor"...give Bama credit for scheduling them. Ohio State got blown out by Iowa and had two losses. USC's resume is absolutely awful--they beat no one and got destroyed twice.

I'd be thrilled if we had the balls to schedule a team like FSU

If both Alabama and Georgia lost their semi final games I think Buffalo's theories would make sense.

But they didn't. They won.

LdN

Do you really want to go down the Florida State vs Oklahoma/Wisconsin path????

What are you talking about? Oklahoma and Wisconsin are better than FSU that doesn't mean Bama didn't try to put together a legit non-conference game--think for once

If both Alabama and Georgia lost their semi final games I think Buffalo's theories would make sense.

But they didn't. They won.

LdN

Bama won because they were invited to play. Wiscy, Penn State, Ohio State, and/or Notre Dame could have won if they had the chance too. Bama played a terrible OOC schedule, lost to a team who lost to UCF, and didn't win their conference let alone their division. You can only win the games if you get a chance. What did Bama do better than Wisconsin to earn an invitation? Oh - they're Bama. Right.

Reactions: AvgUser
Bama won because they were invited to play. Wiscy, Penn State, Ohio State, and/or Notre Dame could have won if they had the chance too. Bama played a terrible OOC schedule, lost to a team who lost to UCF, and didn't win their conference let alone their division. You can only win the games if you get a chance. What did Bama do better than Wisconsin to earn an invitation? Oh - they're Bama. Right.

That's a great argument to have made Sunday.

However to complain now about a SEC lovefest final, that both Alabama and Georgia won their semifinal games is useless.

The Big Ten set the table for Wisconsin to not go by constantly talking up OSU/Michigan. Wisconsin should have gone in my opinion. One close loss where they were making a comeback.

That said, again the two SEC teams are in the finals because they beat two great teams.

Their resumes are better than anyones right now.

BUT, Alabama beat Clemson last night. And, Georgia beat Oklahoma last night.

Ohio State was destroyed by Oklahoma. That's on their resume and right now GA has a better resume than Ohio State.

Alabama lost one game this past season. ONE. And now they just beat Clemson.

Both GA and Alabama are in the NC game because they played their way there.

LdN

Who did Alabama have to beat in their Conference Championship Game? I must have missed it. You're saying they would have beaten Georgia?

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq

They went 11-1 after years of dominance earning them the reputation that they have
expand the playoff then...if it's a four team playoff get used to this. Bama proved last night they deserved a spot by beating the top ranked team
You know what--maybe next year we shouldn't blow a huge lead against Ohio State or allow Lewerke to look like Joe Montana and then we'll get in.
We can't complain--we had our chances. just like last year--how about we don't lose to Pitt.
Bama lost once all year to previously #7...hard to argue they don't belong. but, this year, more than any, about 12 teams could have made teams runs

It’s not Bama fault that FSU was hit with injuries. FSU was projected by many, if not most as a playoff team itself.

And ended up next to last in their Division. When the selections were made, that was no better than beating Indiana.

It is obvious that even before the championship game that many still think the "championship" is illegitimate.

The top conference has had its champions left out 2 years in a row despite absolutely dominating bowl season.

AND they left out an UNDEFEATED team with 4 wins over ranked teams including the team which has pounded both Georgia and Alabama.

PSU, Wisconsin, Ohio St, and UCF might all be better than the two current contenders, but the system is not set up to find a true champion.

And ended up next to last in their Division. When the selections were made, that was no better than beating Indiana.

But they get credit for trying to schedule it--maybe not by the committee but anyone using common sense isn't going to criticize Bama for schedule FSU

It is obvious that even before the championship game that many still think the "championship" is illegitimate.

The top conference has had its champions left out 2 years in a row despite absolutely dominating bowl season.

AND they left out an UNDEFEATED team with 4 wins over ranked teams including the team which has pounded both Georgia and Alabama.

PSU, Wisconsin, Ohio St, and UCF might all be better than the two current contenders, but the system is not set up to find a true champion.

So, you want a 24 team playoff or no?
I really don't know what else has to happen for people to realize FCS is correct

What are you talking about? Oklahoma and Wisconsin are better than FSU that doesn't mean Bama didn't try to put together a legit non-conference game--think for once

They got to dodge their 13th data point which would have been Georgia because they weren't good enough to beat an also-ran Auburn. Should Wisconsin have refused to play Ohio State so they could have gotten in?

When they get the lowest ratings they have had so far, maybe they will start to re-think this idiotic format

Reactions: BUFFALO LION
[QUOTE="LionDeNittany, post: 3223353, member: 310"]Who did Ohio State beat last year?

LdN[/QUOTE]

#14/5 Oklahoma
#8/9 Wisconsin
#9/UR Nebraska
#3/10 Michigan

Ranking at time of game/final poll. So, they beat three top ten teams in the final poll.

[QUOTE="LionDeNittany, post: 3223353, member: 310"]Who did Ohio State beat last year?

LdN

#14/5 Oklahoma
#8/9 Wisconsin
#9/UR Nebraska
#3/10 Michigan

Ranking at time of game/final poll. So, they beat three top ten teams in the final poll.[/QUOTE]

You misread the quote I was referring to.

LdN

#14/5 Oklahoma
#8/9 Wisconsin
#9/UR Nebraska
#3/10 Michigan

Ranking at time of game/final poll. So, they beat three top ten teams in the final poll.

LdN[/QUOTE]

Are you referring to them not beating Clemson last year? If so, my bad.

How do you know Ohio State or USC wouldn't have too? Clemson got hammered by last place Syracuse.

And last year we got royally screwed. We all agree with that. That's why this crap has to stop.

I'm of the opinion that if you choose to have a championship game, then the FIRST team to go from any conference must be the conference champion.

But that doesn't help this year because Georgia DID go. And Alabama, well they are probably the actual best team in the country. They can beat anyone anytime.

LdN

LdN

Are you referring to them not beating Clemson last year? If so, my bad.[/QUOTE]

No the quote was regarding who they played in the championship game.

Ohio State... they stunk last year. An up and coming PSU team beat them.

LdN

That's a great argument to have made Sunday.

However to complain now about a SEC lovefest final, that both Alabama and Georgia won their semifinal games is useless.

The Big Ten set the table for Wisconsin to not go by constantly talking up OSU/Michigan. Wisconsin should have gone in my opinion. One close loss where they were making a comeback.

That said, again the two SEC teams are in the finals because they beat two great teams.

Their resumes are better than anyones right now.

Alabama's "resume right now" is artificial. At least two other teams could have had better resumes given the same opportunity.

Think of it this way: Free Bloomin' Onions at Outback Steakhouse today.

JeWNx0a.gif

nanniii.1514834503.jpg

BUT, Alabama beat Clemson last night. And, Georgia beat Oklahoma last night.

Ohio State was destroyed by Oklahoma. That's on their resume and right now GA has a better resume than Ohio State.

Alabama lost one game this past season. ONE. And now they just beat Clemson.

Both GA and Alabama are in the NC game because they played their way there.

LdN
The great thing about this is that is subjective so there can be multiple valid arguments. You are talking about loses. But we could talk about strength of schedule. Strength of conference. Wins over top 25 opponents or perhaps wins over teams with winning records. Not to mention OSU played one more game than Bama. Should a conference championship outweigh one of the loses? If so, OSU could be considered a one loss team too as they have one more win.

Until the system is either designed like any otherchampionship sport or the NCAA just gives up and goes back to the original bowl system, it will always be very subjective.

Let's take the NCAA MB tournament. Conference champions, regardless of record, are automatically in. Others, at large bids, are based on other criteria such as quality wins and strength of schedule.

What is the criteria for NCAA football final four selection? Who in the hell knows.

Last edited:
They got to dodge their 13th data point which would have been Georgia because they weren't good enough to beat an also-ran Auburn. Should Wisconsin have refused to play Ohio State so they could have gotten in?

They played within the rules set? Do you want a 24 or 16 team playoff? If your answer is no you don't have a valid complaint. Bama > Ohio State this year and infinitely better than USC

I think when Notre Dame is talking about making its scheduling easier to increase its odds of being selected into the final four, the system is faulty.

Conversely, a small conference basketball plays a very difficult out of conference schedule in order to increase its odds of winning its own conference and make the NCAA tournament tells me the NCAA BB tournament has a better model.

You're kidding, right? Why should Georgia get to play a team that couldn't even win their Division? The team that beat Alabama for the Western Division just got beat yesterday by a G-5 and got hammered by Georgia.

Probably only the second "National Championship" game I won't waste my time watching. The first was LSU vs Alabama when they screwed Oklahoma State.

Why do people like you want this farce to continue??????????? We deserved to be in last year, and Ohio State deserved to be in this year. Until you have a Conference Champions only setup where your spot is earned on the field, we will continue to be politically screwed. I'd just as soon go back to the old Rose Bowl setup where everyone has a defined goal and everyone knows what they are playing for.
Somebody said that maybe the Weather Channel will have a special the we can watch instead of a rerun of the SEC championship.

Agreed--especially considering Bama dominated the consensus 1 seed who's only prior loss -TO SYRACUSE - was without Bryant FOR PART OF THE GAME, EVEN THOUGH THEY WERE LOSING WHILE HE WAS STILL PLAYING.

Added some important details you omitted.....unintentionally, I'm sure.

You two are arguing past one another.

Two of the four teams that played last night had to win.

The point of contention is who was worthy and deserving of being there to play? Alabama surely had an easy schedule and was fortunate that they did not have to play a conference championship game.

If Alabama wins next week, what does it prove? Auburn beat Alabama. Georgia split with Auburn. Maybe GA-AL need to play the rubber match the following week.

If GA wins, what does it prove? Auburn smoked them, but GA was fortunate that they had another chance with them and made the most of it.

This is why two teams from the same conference should NEVER get in the so-called Playoff. Given enough chances, or even second chances, good teams will beat other good teams. That is exactly what has occurred this year by with Auburn-Alabama-Georgia.

Really looking forward to this championship game, should be a good one.

Added some important details you omitted.....unintentionally, I'm sure.

Both additions are true but trailing early in the game happens to teams and they still come back. No one is saying it was a good loss but we should understand why the committee didn't give it a lot of value.

Schedules are engineered to position for the National Championship
Next year 2018 schedules
Team Non conference opponents Crossover Division Not Playing
Alabama Ark st.,UL Laf, Citadel Georgia, SC,Florida
Georgia Aus.Peay ,MidTenn, Umass Alabama, Miss, Miss. St.
Auburn Wash, Ala St, Liberty Fla, SC, Mizzou
Ohio St Ore st., TCU, Tulane Iowa, Wisconsin, Ntwester
Wisconsin W.Kenty, New Mex, BYU Ohio St, Mich St, Indiana
Mich St Utah St, AZ st, C Mich Wisconsin, Iowa, Minn
Penn St App St, Pitt, Kent st Ntwestern, Minn, Nebraska

In my opinion divisions should be eliminated , like the big 12 two best teams should play for conference championship.
Schedules made up every 2 years for conferences with power rating match ups.

yeah, but don't complain about Alabama scheduling cupcakes, when FSU was scheduled, it wasn't a cupcake. This was a fluke year for FSU.

Bama's OOC schedule was created stronger than PSU's.

The issue isn't non conference games, but conference crossover division games
yeah, but don't complain about Alabama scheduling cupcakes, when FSU was scheduled, it wasn't a cupcake. This was a fluke year for FSU.

Bama's OOC schedule was created stronger than PSU's.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT