ADVERTISEMENT

And if we had a real playoff...

I’d like 1 vs 2 and no final four even better. I’m fully expecting expansion to happen and it will be a sad day for the sport. I’m not alone, there are others that see the dangers of expansion. Bill King (college football radio host) is a huge opponent of expansion.

The opponents to a large playoff only have "right now all games have meaning" and "player safety". Player safety is legit but right now very few games have meaning. Over half the teams have not path to playoff before they play in week 1. That can't exist. UCF has won 25 straight and hasn't yet played a game that had meaning.

This should have gone to 16 teams in the 80s. It's long past due.

Last time I checked UCF had the 87th toughest schedule. They have no business playing for the national championship.

There's no danger. The opponents to a playoff only have "right now all games have meaning" and "player safety". Player safety is legit but right now very few games have meaning. Over half the teams have not path to playoff before they play in week 1. That can't exist. UCF has won 25 straight and hasn't yet played a game that had meaning

Reactions: bluewhiteApos
Boycotting the play off series until changes are made. None of the 5 league champs should ever be overlooked for a team that lost their’s. I do not concede the SEC committee rankings are valid. They puff all SEC teams up to improve the strength of schedule of the teams that they have annointed. They should be penalized for playing FCS teams and only 8 conference games.

I’d like 1 vs 2 and no final four even better. I’m fully expecting expansion to happen and it will be a sad day for the sport. I’m not alone, there are others that see the dangers of expansion. Bill King (college football radio host) is a huge opponent of expansion.

Except it's a bunch of people in a room saying it's one vs. two. Give me the five P5 conference champs who have earned their way in through their play on the field, not by what a bunch of suits in a room have decided, and then you can have three of your beauty contest teams come in at-large for an eight-game playoff. Every other division of college football does this, and it hasn't ruined their game or their regular seasons at all.

Boycotting the play off series until changes are made. None of the 5 league champs should ever be overlooked for a team that lost their’s. I do not concede the SEC committee rankings are valid. They puff all SEC teams up to improve the strength of schedule of the teams that they have annointed. They should be penalized for playing FCS teams and only 8 conference games.

Don't boycott the playoffs. Boycott the rest of the bowls. Don't go to the Citrus or any other bowl. We need the bowls to die off

We heard this bullspit last year about SEC strength.
Bowl record by conference in 2017
Conference Bowls Record
SEC
11 5–6 (0.455)
ACC 10 4–6 (0.400)
Conference USA 9 4–5 (0.444)

Third worst bowl record. B1G was 8-1. B1G presidents should tell the NCAA to scrap this farce.

This isn’t basketball. Why should these guys risk injury in playing extra games where one team is favored by 2 or 3 TDs. Does anyone really want or need to see Bama play Washington? Prove you’re one of the top two teams in the regular season and con champ game. And noone’s even brought up the logistical nightmare playing these extra games with short notice will have on travel, hotels, etc. 1 vs 2 is what matters and preserving the best regular season in sports.

Logistical nightmare? We just had 65,000-plus fans attend a B1G title game a week after the regular season ended, and they didn't know whether it would be Ohio State or Michigan representing the East until the final weekend. In an eight-team playoff, have the top-seeded teams host the first round. Logistical problem solved. When their team is involved, people find a way to get there.

Reactions: bmw199
If they have an 8 team playoff, 3-4 teams from the SEC will be eligible. 16 team playoff 4 - 6 SEC teams.
Two problems , one, the SEC, two, conferences as they are set up, either too heavy or too light in the division set ups.
College football has to decide if they want traditional sometimes archaic rivalries or play for the playoffs.

The SEC has it set up so that the two best teams will always have no more than one loss in the regular season. They only have eight conference games, and of the two cross over games, they have one locked up. Bama always plays Tennessee, which hasn’t been competitive in twenty years. I couldn’t tell you the last time Bama played Georgia or Florida in the regular season. It’s a joke.

Here's how I played it out complete with times and dates. No reason why they couldn't do this.

Friday, December 14
6 Ohio State at 3 Notre Dame 8pm ESPN

Saturday, December 15
7 UCF at 2 Clemson 1pm ABC
5 Georgia at 4 Oklahoma 4pm ABC
8 Washington at 1 Alabama 8pm ABC

Semifinals and Championship played on their regularly-scheduled date.

Heisman winner -- Kyler Murray

Murray? To me no one is even close to Tua this season

You're probably right, but if there was an MVP award for college football i would give it to Murray. The sooners would be sunk without him, but Bama would would still be good with their back-up.

Reactions: stormingnorm
Last time I checked UCF had the 87th toughest schedule. They have no business playing for the national championship.

Now you're just being a snobby elitist.

Tell me something...what do you think of a sport that when the first day of practice happens, there are over 50% of the players KNOW they have ZERO shot at winning that sport's championship? In college basketball, a player on a small school like Maryland Eastern Shore knows he at least has a shot (no matter how many zeroes you put after the decimal point for his percentage) to win that sport's championship. But somehow, in 1-A college football, that opportunity isn't afforded. And it's small-minded, elitist thinking that has caused it.

When did Tua have to suck it up in the 4th quarter to win a close game? Never. He may have had his chance yesterday but he threw a pair of red zone picks and then ended up hurt so he couldn't finish the game. Murray has had to captain an offense that has to score 50+ every week because his team's defense is so porous. Everyone wants to hand the Heisman to Tua but if he does win it, the margin should be very close.

When did Tua have to suck it up in the 4th quarter to win a close game? Never. He may have had his chance yesterday but he threw a pair of red zone picks and then ended up hurt so he couldn't finish the game. Murray has had to captain an offense that has to score 50+ every week because his team's defense is so porous. Everyone wants to hand the Heisman to Tua but if he does win it, the margin should be very close.

With those 2 picks you mention, Tua had 37 TD's and 4 INT's for the year. To me that's more way impressive than running it up against Big12 defenses

Football and basketball, apples and oranges. Small schools are playing for conference championships and bowl games. I doubt most schools would even want to play Alabama. Besides, you can’t go undefeated against the 87th toughest schedule and complain that you’re not in the final 4. So now we have to play all these extra games so teams with awful strength of schedules can at least have a path.

Now you're just being a snobby elitist.

Tell me something...what do you think of a sport that when the first day of practice happens, there are over 50% of the players KNOW they have ZERO shot at winning that sport's championship? In college basketball, a player on a small school like Maryland Eastern Shore knows he at least has a shot (no matter how many zeroes you put after the decimal point for his percentage) to win that sport's championship. But somehow, in 1-A college football, that opportunity isn't afforded. And it's small-minded, elitist thinking that has caused it.

Last edited:
Football and basketball, apples and oranges. Small schools are playing for conference championships and bowl games. I doubt most schools would even want to play Alabama. Besides, you can’t go undefeated against the 87th toughest schedule and complain that you’re not in the final 4. So now we have to play all these extra games so teams with awful strength of schedules can at least have a path.

How is it apples and oranges?

With those 2 picks you mention, Tua had 37 TD's and 4 INT's for the year. To me that's more way impressive than running it up against Big12 defenses

Point being is that Tua didn't have to play in many stressful situations this year and when he did in the Georgia game, he struggled. Meanwhile, Murray was walking a tightrope for much of the season because his team's defense kept opponents (even Kansas!) in it.

Hell with it... make it a 12 team playoff with a play-in/bye scenario. Who the F can complain if 12 teams get a legit shot? If you liked the original version... check this out.

1-4 get bye's.

12 PSU plays AT (uh oh) 5 GA
11 LSU plays AT 6 tOSU
10 FL plays AT 7 Michy
9 UW plays AT 8 UCF

Winners advance to play AT the top 4 seeds... then onward to the semis.

Every year I do this the matchups become incredibly exciting (unlike just about every bowl game I saw listed today).

Draw it out... UCF AT bama. Clemson gets michy. ND hosts osu. OK and GA slug it out in Norman. Likely we wind up with bama, clemson (although... this could be an upset) osu, GA.

Are we having fun yet?

Who did they lose to? Your arguments always go back to somebodies opinion, not to what happens on the field- where the game is played. And THAT is exactly what JoePa started campaigning against in 1969.

I wish I could like your post more than once.
The ONLY sport where the regular season, every game, every time, actually matters.
For those advocating conference champions....would you really want a Pitt or a Northwestern winning a national championship with five freakin losses?
I certainly wouldn't.
In basketball, you had Nova in '85....

I was good with that. If someone can run the table in the playoffs, they've earned it.

Things are much different than 1969. The champion is decided on the field like Joe wanted. If UFC is unhappy with making many millions of dollars playing in NY6 games, they should do what Penn State and Joe did. Win big bowl games against top level competition and continue to schedule better competition. In less than 10 years Joe and PSU got their shot as a result.

Who did they lose to? Your arguments always go back to somebodies opinion, not to what happens on the field- where the game is played. And THAT is exactly what JoePa started campaigning against in 1969.

Things are much different than 1969. The champion is decided on the field like Joe wanted. If UFC is unhappy with making many millions of dollars playing in NY6 games, they should do what Penn State and Joe did. Win big bowl games against top level competition and continue to schedule better competition. In less than 10 years Joe and PSU got their shot as a result.
UCF - 34
Auburn - 27

Auburn beat both Alabama and Georgia so they were not a slouch. I know they didn't try against UCF.

How anyone can support a system that DQ's teams before the season based on their perceived strength is beyond me.

16 teams (10 Conf. Champs + 6 at large) works perfect. NCAA FBS the only sport without a real champ.

Reactions: Nitt1300
You keep acting as though championship games are playoff games. They aren't. In basketball, can the loser of a conference championship still get a #1 seed? Of course they can. This is no different.

Georgia shouldn't be penalized because they didn't get a weak opponent like Clemson, OU & Ohio State. Not one of those teams had to play a top 15 team yet alone a top 5 team or the best team in the country.

I don't believe for a second you don't believe that Georgia beats ND, Ohio State or Oklahoma on a neutral field. I don't believe anyone believes that.

UCF has won 25 games in a row so I don't want to hear anyone say "every game counts" as a reason against playoff expansion because they clearly don't.

4 teams is a joke. 8 teams would be almost as bad. Anything less than 16 doesn't work.

OK sparky - take away all CCG and 12 game regular seasons.

Penn State was an independent and had flexibility to schedule as they wanted. UCF - not so much. The best they can do is schedule 4 tough OOC games.

Champion of what? Of four teams picked by some committee- that's politics, not sport.

UCF - 34
Auburn - 27

Auburn beat both Alabama and Georgia so they were not a slouch. I know they didn't try against UCF.

How anyone can support a system that DQ's teams before the season based on their perceived strength is beyond me.

16 teams (10 Conf. Champs + 6 at large) works perfect. NCAA FBS the only sport without a real champ.

Here is what is wrong with your idea

1. You are excluding independent teams. There is no mandate to join a conference. Nor should their be. So, 10 conferences, plus the independents as a group make 11.

2. The conferences are simply not equitable. The better, bigger, faster and more talented kids go to the Power 5 conferences. There is already a difference in skills and abilities. So, the non power 5 already have a built in disadvantage. This is not pro sports, where teams can get better through a draft process. The better faster, more skilled kids are still going to go to the same top programs. So the disadvantage remains inherent.

3. How many games do you want the kids to play? If you want 16 teams (however they are broken out), then you need to eliminate CCG, 12 game regular seasons- try getting that past the ADs. And keep in mind that the NCAA is the limiting factor on the number of games. It's gonna have fly past them.

Here is what is wrong with your idea

1. You are excluding independent teams. There is no mandate to join a conference. Nor should their be. So, 10 conferences, plus the independents as a group make 11.

2. The conferences are simply not equitable. The better, bigger, faster and more talented kids go to the Power 5 conferences. There is already a difference in skills and abilities. So, the non power 5 already have a built in disadvantage. This is not pro sports, where teams can get better through a draft process. The better faster, more skilled kids are still going to go to the same top programs. So the disadvantage remains inherent.

3. How many games do you want the kids to play? If you want 16 teams (however they are broken out), then you need to eliminate CCG, 12 game regular seasons- try getting that past the ADs. And keep in mind that the NCAA is the limiting factor on the number of games. It's gonna have fly past them.
There will always be inequities especially how the system is set up.

If you want to include the independents as a group you can and leave 5 at large I would have no issue with that.

There are inequities in FCS, D2, and D3 as well the same programs win every year. The only thing that inclusion cures is that you don't have a chance.

D1AA App State didn't have a chance against Michigan but they won. UCF didn't have a chance against Auburn but won. Boise St didn't have a chance against Oklahoma but they won.

I know it won't happen because the powers that be don't want it to happen. Every other division can do it.

You can't expand the post season without first agreeing to pay the athletes... That's the only way that scenario plays out, IMO.

I agree with the earlier poster - the Regular Season is the playoffs. Go back to taking the top 2 rated (human/computer) teams and line them up for the championship.

basketball used to let 64 teams in their playoff - AND THAT WASN'T ENOUGH! You think football expanding to 8 or even 16 would end the argument for further expansion? I don't...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT