ADVERTISEMENT

Alright, let's have at it. Best Hot-Dog list in every state!! Dig in folks!!!

Jimmy Johns West Chester, PA.
building.JPG

Reactions: WeARE and CF LION
Anybody had a dog from the Squeeze-In in Sunbury? Place is a legend but I never had their dogs..

IMG9052-L.jpg

I grew up two blocks from the Squeeze-In. While I think it was better when I was growing up because they used to get their dogs from a local company, Chief brand from Shamokin which went out of business about 30 years ago, it's still a good dog joint. I believe they use Kuntzler dogs now. I usually stop in when I'm visiting the parents. They still have a good chili dog, I usually get one sweet and one spicy. Their menu consists of hot dogs, baked beans, chips and drinks, although the rumor for the past few years is that they might be adding french fries if they can ever figure out where to put in a deep fryer. In a reference to the PAFoods thread, they carry both Middleswarth & Good's potato chips, as well as Big Ben's birch beer in all three colors, red, white & blue. The actual restaurant is just the small portion to the left of the picture and is just five stools. The bigger portion to the right is their storage room.

IMG_9055-L.jpg

sunbury4.jpg

Sunbury used to have another hot dog joint two blocks away called Pop Snyder's, which was my first legit job growing up. Pop's was a bit bigger, 5 stools and 4, 2 seat tables.

The Coney Island in Shamokin is another great, small town hot dog joint.

And I've been to "Dirty Franks" in Columbus. Ok, but I like Jib Jab in Girard, Ohio, better (near Youngstown). We usually stop there for lunch on the way to State College.

They did get Superdawgs in Chicago right. Went there after the Northwestern game a few years back, and it was quite good. I'm also going to have to try NOLA's entry--Dat Dog--next time we are down. I've been by it a few times (the one on Frenchmen's St.) but never went in.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Changed my mind, Jimmy dogs, Hazleton, Pa
Had them both and if they were both sitting right here I choose Texas Hotdog out of Altoona 10 out of 10 times. We are talking about the Texas Hot Dogs down town Altoona, right? I always stop at Jimmy's when I'm in Hazelton but I still hold Altoona Texas Dogs a notch higher. :)

I've had some great luck with Dewz Dogs in Wormleysburg - only open Fri - Sun.

http://www.dewzdogz.com/menu.html

The Chihuahua is great:

"Chihuahua.....$4.75 Our deli dog placed in a potato roll with sour cream, avocado, DEWZ chili, cheddar cheese, salsa"

Sadly closed a couple months ago - best I've ever had. Mike's on the Jersey shore (Long Branch) were good, too.

Not my choice, but a lot of people on the shore would choose the Windmill.
I'll go for a hot dog cart dog.

Last edited:
Abe's in Wilkes Barre and Puka Dog in Hawaii (Definitely not traditional but good)

Hiram's in NJ? Author is an idiot. The true home of "The Ripper" (come to think of it, maybe that guy was confused between cause and effect) and the best hot dog in NJ is Rutt's Hut in Clifton.

Having grown up in Clifton, I know Rutt's Hut very well. Was even Little League teammates with the eventual owner of it. But I've always found it overrated. I'm a Hot Grill guy through and through. One All the Way over a Ripper for me. If it's good enough for faux President Clinton, it's good enough for me!

North Jersey is where the Texas Wiener was born, and it was great growing up with so many choices around the area. Hot Grill, Rutt's Hut, Johnny and Hanges, New Corral, Falls View.

Yoccos in Allentown. I know the dogs are tiny, but their chili sauce to me is the best! Sauce, onion, mustard, every time. Always bring doggie packs and chili back to MD after a visit.

Reactions: AtownLion
As was mentioned by a earlier post, I also grew up in Beaver County and the Brighton Hot Dog Shop sets my standard. I have dined at every one of their locations (some are now gone) except Salem, OH. Great dog, fabulous chili sauce. Not really crazy about their fries unless I add chili/cheese which is a recipe for a heart attack at my age.

Other honorable mention wiener emporiums are....

Wiener World in downtown Pittsburgh - back in the day this was a once every couple weeks lunchtime visit to buy a dog and stand by the window watching the world walk by.

Original Hot Dog (the dirty O) - been there several times and while the hot dog is good, the fries are better. They had a location out in Plum along with the Oakland place - didn't have the same "feel", but the food was good.

Jib Jab in Girard, OH - good place right off I80. Need a bib to eat a chili dog while driving on the interstate.

Yocco's in Allentown is pretty good also.

Ted's has several locations in the Buffalo, NY, region and they are superior charcoal grilled tube steaks.

Getting kind of hungry from typing this ...

Bill's sandwich shop in New Castle PA. Back in the day it was PO Lunch in New Castle. New Castle chili hands down. I live in Altoona now and Texas Hots isn't close.

Coney Island, Pottsville Pa on W Market St.

Hot Dog House, Bellefonte PA on Route 150 & Myrtle Street.

Iocca's, Allentown PA has multiple locations.

I also love the dogs with cheese at the Original, the O, in Oakland.
After reading this thread and finding that I ate a sheet load of hot dogs over the years, no wonder I have built a shed over my favorite organ.

Reactions: Victor E. Bell
I have tried all the hot dogs in most states. My 3 favorites are all natural casing skinned all beef. Those 3 are Sabrett's (as shown in an above photo from the street cart in Manhattan), Nathan's natural casing (can get them in many supermarkets, but best from their Coney Island original stand) and finally Vienna brand natural casing hot dogs found in Chicago and elsewhere. The skinless versions of all 3 are not nearly as good. You know you have a good hot dog when you hear a crunch when you bite into one from snapping the natural casings.

Last edited:
Long gone but it was Coney Island in Braddock right near the gate to the ET works. I was working at Cochran Pontiac in North Braddock while in high school. Six dogs for a buck and I can still taste them. Also loved Pop's Mexi hots on college avenue in the late 60's. I hear there is a restaurant somewhere in State College that has the recipe
Wow, Coney Island in Braddock. That is many many moons ago. At one time Braddock was a hot spot to shop and eat.

Texas Hot Dogs, Altoona, Pa
My wife and I ate there last in 2010, going home from a visit to State College. The first time I ever had Austin's Texas hot dogs was in 1982, the day of the Nebraska game. Those were some tasty hot dogs. Maybe it was because I was really hungry. The dogs I had in 2010 were not as good as I remembered them to be.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT